Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Exp Update 0.61.135961

On 9/28/2016 at 11:30 AM, MaxKragen said:

Any plans for fixing sticks or arrows in the road that totally wreck vehicles?

Disabling the physical sim on those objects is definitely going to happen, but more than likely not for .61. Sorry!

• Like 6

On 9/28/2016 at 0:14 PM, odin_lowe said:

Really looking forward to hearing the changes from the new sound engine, and seeing the dynamic shadows, combined with how lights don't go through walls anymore!!

Quick question though: Can we expect some changes to the loot tables? Mainly weapons spawning again at heli crash sites. 

Also, can't wait to see the improvements on the overall synchronization on servers.

Cheers!

While there will be changes to the economy (which can happen in a matter of seconds, without an update to Steam being required) - don't expect weapons on heli crashes for .61. Support for limiting item types per event just isn't there yet, and we don't want to have heli crashes full of SVDs. 

All the weapons that would spawn on them, do however spawn normally in military structures.

• Like 7

On 9/28/2016 at 1:44 PM, GaryWalnuts said:

First, thanks for starting this discussion!

Second, a few questions regarding the per player dynamic spawning.  Will the amount of players entering an area or town effect the number of infected that spawn there?  (If go in alone versus with a group of four will the number of spawned infected be increased per player)? 

and regarding the new predator ai, wolves.  Are they also spawned using the per player dynamic spawns?  or will they actively hunt deer on their own out in the fields where there are no players?  If the latter, will wolf killed deer remain so we can recover their resources or will they despawn quickly?  and lastly, are you planning on implementing any sign for wolves and deer in the future so we can track them (footprints, scratches, tracks, carcasses, that sort of thing)?

Initially we wanted each player to add to the count, but the more we looked into it - the meta game potential was so high, and the chance for abuse was also pretty high. Right now it looks like we'll stick with each area having their own min/max - regardless of player count.

Predators are not player spawn triggered right now, they operate in specific areas much like deer, etc. 
I'll ask the programmers responsible for their behavior for more specifics ala hunting deer and such.

• Like 7

On 9/28/2016 at 2:23 PM, jazzbone said:

With all the different clients internet speeds, types of connections and pings, will it really ever be possible to "fix" sync/desync in DayZ SA?

Well, we're currently fighting some issues with collision detection, and poor internet speeds - however that said..

I've not seen a single example of actual desynchronization in the current build. No breaking your legs climbing stairs, that sort of stuff. Player position is actually *where the player is* - and not where he thinks he is, vs where the server says he is.

• Like 4

On 9/28/2016 at 11:20 PM, Noctoras said:

- will decentralised loot economy mean that the chance for high tier equipment (quantity aside) is the same over all mil installations across the map?

- are there currently plans on expanding on the medical system?

- dynamic spawning of infected: will the general number of infected be raised significantly with 0.61 (or, if not, with later patches)?

You're asking questions not related to .61 - please toss those over into the Status Report thread!

• Like 1

Hi Brian Hicks,

Stable Hotfix - Vehicle Spatial Orientation has been on the development board for some time and we have yet to hear about any progress regarding this big issue. In the status report we heard vehicle synchronization is being worked on, but nothing regarding the Vehicle Spatial Orientation. Will it be fixed and included in 0.61? 

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) I see you have answered others post after mine, but not mine. I'm curious to see if we will get any update regarding the Stable Hotfix that has been on the dev board for a long time?

Edited by Kronons

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) I can't wait to light up towns like its christmas.

Question though, in the video at around 0:50 I can hear some weird distortion in the video (just in case you might have overlooked it), people might think its to do with the actual sound engine (which was what I first thought lol).

Edited by DannyDog

3 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

While there will be changes to the economy (which can happen in a matter of seconds, without an update to Steam being required) - don't expect weapons on heli crashes for .61. Support for limiting item types per event just isn't there yet, and we don't want to have heli crashes full of SVDs. 

All the weapons that would spawn on them, do however spawn normally in military structures.

Thanks for the answer Brian! Really appreciated. I know we can find all these weapons at military locations, but I liked the fact that we could avoid them and still be decently armed. I really enjoyed not having to go to Pavlovo mil base, or NWAF to get a UMP or AUG, and besides, crash site hunting in the Green Mountain surroundings has always been one of my favorite hobbies! ;)

• Like 2

@Hicks I hope you guys added some military weapons at North East Airfield - so not all high end items are located west side of the map especially if you have plan to remove weapons from crash sites.

There are too many who don`t bother to start north of the map which result that the part of the map is empty or with little traffic of players.

*What is the eta now on 0.61 on exp branch? :)

Edited by ori42

5 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

As you can see in the video

Is anything changed with damage values for the weapons in .61?

I think most of us would agree that the shotgun needs some tweaking.

*It may be a bit off topic I guess but I would like to eventually see: non-lethal rounds (rubber buckshot, rubber slugs, bean bag rounds, rock salt?) > bird shot > buck shot > slugs.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 2

@Hicks_206 (DayZ)

I'm very, very excited about the light rendering fix. I made this post a few months ago asking about light render distance per item instance. Do you think with .61 the instances for campfires and flares is going to be increased? I remember in the mod being able to see campfires and flares while flying a helicopter. And I feel like since smoke now comes out of the chimneys of the houses, it would add a lot to the atmosphere of the game if you're able to see smoke rising out of a chimney (and a house thats has light coming from the fireplace) from a kilometer or two away. The response I got was that the light iteration would change around beta. Just curious if this was changing or not with this update. 

Edited by Influence_X

5 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Ok - sorry for the delay in posting dudes and dudettes. We've been grinding away at the blocking issues - most attention obviously played to position sync, and infected AI related stuff.
I put together a brief (ok not so brief) video of the other night. I was up in Vybor after testing some network bubble related stuff with one of the guys from the Survivor GameZ. I made the mistake of not having proper gear, and getting caught in a fairly heavy rainstorm. I wasn't carrying enough food, and my core temperature started to drop fast after becoming drenched.

Fortunately, I was able to find shelter up in Vybor Industrial - and the video details (it jumps around a bit mind you, because it was 14 minutes long) my struggle to create a fire under shelter, dry off, and raise my temperature high enough that I stopped dying to hypothermia.
I've mentioned before the attention the design team is paying to addressing the overheating issues in .60, as well as trying to get modifier tick rates at a level in which the cold, and the environment become a struggle for .61. I firmly believe this is key to .61 being an enjoyable *survival* experience. 

We'll see how it operates when the testing pool increases 10x fold on experimental.

As you can see in the video - I start out in the high 3000s blood wise (5k cap) and hypothermia over the span of 10 minutes or so gets me right on deaths door down at the low 800s. I really managed to pull a rabbit out of my hat there - any lower and I would have passed out and died.
To give you guys some perspective, we've been focusing a lot on the issues mentioned above. Player to player position sync, Infected AI spawning and aggro issues, and of course ensuring server performance is high enough for the experience to be fun, and the game to run properly. We've made a lot of progress over the last week, but QA (as is their job!) has found some nasty repros on nasty bugs - so we're still cracking away at it.

As well, I'll slap a few screenshots in here of some chemlights at night time that I thought were pretty :)

Hang in there everyone!

Thank you for the update!

I have a question regarding the change of modifier tick rates you mentioned: Does this just have an effect on the temperature or also on the hunger/thirst? (thirst is also on the modifier list of the exp debug monitor on your screenshots).

3 hours ago, ori42 said:

if you have plan to remove weapons from crash sites.

They don't plan to remove the weapons on dynamic events (crash sites) and they will be back, but right now there was a bug with too many weapons spawning at them, thus the reason why they removed them. You could stumble upon a crash site with 3-4 SVD/Steyr AUG/UMP or even M4s.

Once this is fixed, they will be back.

Quoting Brian Hicks : "Support for limiting item types per event just isn't there yet, and we don't want to have heli crashes full of SVDs."

• Like 1

Tease thread is a tease.

I did appreciate seeing your struggle against the environment though Hicks. It's been a while since I've faced that. My last major environment issue was intentionally getting myself sick off of a raw chicken breast and trying to overcome it running around with a barrel of purified water. Sometimes you get lots of fancy clothes/plenty of ammo and get bored and need a health emergency to make things fun.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, odin_lowe said:

They don't plan to remove the weapons on dynamic events (crash sites) and they will be back, but right now there was a bug with too many weapons spawning at them, thus the reason why they removed them. You could stumble upon a crash site with 3-4 SVD/Steyr AUG/UMP or even M4s.

Once this is fixed, they will be back.

Quoting Brian Hicks : "Support for limiting item types per event just isn't there yet, and we don't want to have heli crashes full of SVDs."

I hope they add infected so zombies can guard the crash sites. :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, boneboys said:

sigh...

Any particular reason for deleting my post or did you just not like it?

Anyway, Brian opens this thread (probably still months before 0.61) and instead of giving any form of info he just disappears for days and then comes back for some minutes and posts some totally random stuff. This whole project became one of the most ridiculous things I have ever witnessed.

8 hours ago, Luc Tonnerre said:

... comes back for some minutes and posts some totally random stuff.

You use a dice to choose your words? "totally random stuff" = "answers some questions"

Edited by NoCheats

On 7. Oktober 2016 at 3:24 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

As you can see in the video - I start out in the high 3000s blood wise (5k cap) and hypothermia over the span of 10 minutes or so gets me right on deaths door down at the low 800s. I really managed to pull a rabbit out of my hat there - any lower and I would have passed out and died.

That looks really great. Hopefully we'll get more thunderstorms in autumn. As it looks in the video there will be a real survivalchallange at bad weather day's :D

Time to look for heat packs if you want to lie on a windy hill at NWA with your SVD.

Edited by TheHappyMile
  • Like 1

To the "improved" (more difficult) temeratur behavior of the character I'm glad, hopefully it will still be feasible to reach the prison island without dive as an iceblock before ^ ^. I hope that it also again be possible to make fire in buildings. At the moment, practically nothing is possible since the message "it is not safe" appears. In a house I can understand, but in a hall, shed or barn it should already be possible.

• Like 1

I'm curious about where the graphics engine stands with light filtering and processing that currently results in people in shadows sticking out like flares from a distance. Shadows simply don't seem to render at a distance resulting in people sticking out like sore thumbs no matter what colour they're wearing. Wearing tan while you're running around on a light brown overlay at 300m? You're a black spec... Sitting in the middle of the forest wearing black, laying in shadows at 400m? You're basically grey as if your head were made out of a flashlight. Don't even get me started about tents and their fluorescent sides visible through current trees / veg at their max rendering distance. What is it? 300m? 

I'm left wondering about the state of vegetation density that I'm assuming base building is going to depend on in order to provide even the most remote opportunity to build something functional and discreet.

I want to bang on the vehicle drum all day long but then I remember that helicopters are coming at some point too... then I just get mad knowing how long vehicles have been a mess and what helicopters are going to mean to the development process both in and out of game... I desist on that since even contemplating gameplay with alpha level helicopters are too horrifying and hilarious to contemplate. 

Soooooo....

Either Hicks REALLY sucks at DayZ, or .61 looks to have included some truly brutal environmental balcancing (which makes sense after the looonggg summer of teabagging ponds for survival, dontcha think?) that will quite likely change the way the game is played.  I really hope they don't scale it back if people bitch about it being hard.

I'm still Cautiously OptimisticTM that .61 will be coming along soon, and that it won't be a disappointment regarding vehicles.  And I really hope that it proves to be a tough winter in Chernarus

Also, hugs & kisses from Luc; free to all who inquire in Chernarus exp .61.

• Like 3

Pretty damn excited about weather changes to make survival more realistic! I think it'll finally give that more grim feeling to players when they need to travel and get goods but it's cold out and raining. Forces us to be smart with our fires, and honestly may even multiply social engagements.

As for these long waits for updates. . I think the majority of players would be much happier with getting ONE update (smaller) every 2-3ish weeks instead of these huge updates that takes months to fix up.

Edited by Espa