voiceoverbob

Looking for tech advice on a PC...

Ive been watching people play this game for about 4 years or so all the way back to the mod and I am finally at the point of getting a computer capable of running it and playing the game, but i really know nothing about what to get or building a pc... there seems to be some conflict online as the minimum requirements to run DayZ...

I dont really want to have to build. its not that i couldnt, I would just prefer to purchase something at a nice price under 5 hundred bucks that i would be able to plug in and just start playing on. I am also planning on doing content creation on youtube, running sony vegas... etc... and maybe streaming eventually.

Ive been looking around online and I think I have narrowed my selections down to three choices, though if someone else wants to reccomend an out of the box ready to go machine at a cheap price I would gladly welcome it.

The three computers my eyes are on are:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15188106930899739063?q=desktop+computer&biw=1024&bih=608&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.132479545,d.dmo&tch=1&ech=1&psi=W0_YV4uoGMnqed3OlZgL.1473793885134.13&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIp-yliY3PAhVMPT4KHZNoA-wQrRIISw

http://www.storenvy.com/products/17585507-gaming-asus-rog-gl752vw-t4015d?gclid=CLCfmfOHjc8CFRY2gQodvYMFzQ

and...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

any advice out of the three would be welcomed and appreciated. and again.. i would like to stay under 500 bucks. Cheaper the better as I would probably not be playing that much or anything. just casually.

31 minutes ago, voiceoverbob said:

Ive been watching people play this game for about 4 years or so all the way back to the mod and I am finally at the point of getting a computer capable of running it and playing the game, but i really know nothing about what to get or building a pc... there seems to be some conflict online as the minimum requirements to run DayZ...

I dont really want to have to build. its not that i couldnt, I would just prefer to purchase something at a nice price under 5 hundred bucks that i would be able to plug in and just start playing on. I am also planning on doing content creation on youtube, running sony vegas... etc... and maybe streaming eventually.

Ive been looking around online and I think I have narrowed my selections down to three choices, though if someone else wants to reccomend an out of the box ready to go machine at a cheap price I would gladly welcome it.

The three computers my eyes are on are:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15188106930899739063?q=desktop+computer&biw=1024&bih=608&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.132479545,d.dmo&tch=1&ech=1&psi=W0_YV4uoGMnqed3OlZgL.1473793885134.13&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIp-yliY3PAhVMPT4KHZNoA-wQrRIISw

http://www.storenvy.com/products/17585507-gaming-asus-rog-gl752vw-t4015d?gclid=CLCfmfOHjc8CFRY2gQodvYMFzQ

and...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

any advice out of the three would be welcomed and appreciated. and again.. i would like to stay under 500 bucks. Cheaper the better as I would probably not be playing that much or anything. just casually.

Desktops will be a lot cheaper if you build it yourself. It isn't much harder than putting together legos, and will also teach you the skills to fix your computer in the future. With that being said, if you are dead set on buying a pre built machine, the 3rd link is your best bet. The 1st link shows a PC with a nvidia 720 1GB, which is not enough to play modern 3D games imo. I personally wouldn't go any lower than 2GB memory on your graphics card, and honestly most people use a minimum of 4GB +. The 2nd link does not work, so I have no comment on that machine. The 3rd machine has an r7 240 2GB for a GPU, which is truthfully already outdated. You can't even really crossfire that card because the 2GB video memory limitation would still exist no matter how many r7's you added in the future. From the choices you presented, the 3rd choice is the best for gaming. My advice would to be to hit up toms hardware forums and ask for advice on building a 500 dollar gaming PC, or browse the many similar threads already there.

Edited by JBURNS489

No honestly I recommend you stay away from refurbished stuff. You'll feel the need anytime soon to upgrade your rig to something better and with old hardware you're only going to have troubles.

Here's the configuration I'm sparing bucks for:

Motherboard:

MSI MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, Intel Z170 Mainboard - Sockel 1151 (LGA 1151, Intel Z170, ATX)

CPU:

Intel Core i5 6600K BOX (LGA 1151, 3.50GHz)

RAM:

Corsair Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 2-Kit

GPU:

ZOTAC GTX 1070 Founders Edition (GF104, 8Go)

Yes, as you can see I'm investing only on the most essential parts of the computer. Why these parts? Well, they're not of the latest technology but they'll do fine for the next 4 years. This will cost you around 1000$.

The computer I have now was a mid-high range rig in 2010 and I can play DayZ. OK, most of my settings are set to LOW but the game is nice even with such old crap.

Moreover, these are the components that will make a huge difference for games, having an SSD can improve things but a 128GB SSD will be more than enough for you to install 5 or 6 modern games on it.

No need to have a 1TB NVME SSD, after all who gives a shit if Windows loads in 5 or 30 seconds?

The above configuration will give you enough power to play all the games for the next 2 years with all settings to ULTRA.

The thing you need to keep in mind is DO NOT BUY the latest EXTREME Edition blablabla, this is bullshit for people that have cash to splash and looking for those extra 10% that will give them the ultimate rig of the moment. You're not looking for something like this.

The above configuration can by housed in 20$ PC case, only requirement is at least a 500W Power supply. It's not complicated to build and can be easily moved to a better chassis in the following months, maybe with liquid cooling as you spare cash.

Do not buy old stuff with the idea to spare money. It's 10x better to spend 1000$ on essentials components that will last for the next 4 years than spending 500$ on an outdated old crap that will frustrate you only days after you have purchased them. With old stuff you'll just feel like you've been robbed and not being the one that made the bargain.

Don't build a PC to run DAYZ or you won't go out!

My only suggestion i could give you is to make 2 separate HD. One Solid and one SSD, on the SSD you just put your O/S and the other everything else. you will startup your pc within 20 seconds.

go for 16 gb rams, and don't spend over 300 dollars or euros for a video cards by the games we have nowadays. Don't buy an I5....if you really want an I5 then takes instead an AMDFX8350 that is cheaper but still working for being a 2012 CPU....Otherwise go for i7 but don't spend that much.

I'm playing since 2013 with that AMD processor, 8 gb of ram and an nvidia GTX970....and i'm fine with it for whatever i want, exept dayz but we don't have to consider a PC for playing DAYZ, we are going to be mad

Remember: Gaming nowadays does not offer that much to spend over 1000 dollar for a PC!

Edited by GunnyITA

If you really need to stay around $500, you could start with something like this and upgrade later.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3191391

I think my cousin is running it on a 560TI 2GB but I can not remember for sure. Regardless, you could go with a DIY combo, build it out or have someone you know help you. When you have a little extra cash, upgrade.

As people suggested before: Build your own computer. It will be 20-30% cheaper, without parts of doubtful origins, and you gonna learn something + you will be able to invest that saved money in a better GPU!

It's really easy to do. The only "complicated" part is to have a motherboard-CPU compatibility. But if you get for example one of the Asus HERO gaming motherboards you will not have any troubles with both Intel i7 or AMD CPU's.

Just select a good motherboard and CPU and ask in one of the hardware formus (tom's for example) for an advice of the things that could be compatible with them.

Personally I would advice:

1. Get an SSD for windows and the couple of games/software you plan to play most (some games will not benefit from this, but DayZ will). If you see a SSD unit that just came out to the market, grab it with both hands, new products are made with better quality to create a fanbase, if you see stuff (or only can afford) already established brands, take your time and research about them, check amazon reviews, and tech forums. Some models have a lot of issues with their 2nd, and next generations (cheaply build).
  2. Get 16gb RAM (it vastly improves the smoothness of DayZ experience, although people say it has nothing to do with it, but in my case it fixed a lot of issues)
  3. Get a separate HDD for your files (a big one) and separate in partitions: 1 for temp files, 1 for software, 1 for workfiles and 1 for media.
  4. Get a big case to be able to update the machine later
  5. Buy a good power source (it has to give more power than all your rig consumes)
  6. Get 2 or better 4+ gb of GPU for DayZ. There are some high end 2-3yo models that are being sold with discounts (or used ones), you can find them as cheap as a mid end new one. 
Edited by exwoll

Honestly I would build and i'd gun for the better CPU and motherboard initially especially if you plan to stream and definitely if you plan to upgrade.  Search youtube for $500 builds you may see some solid options and they usually include parts links