Kohlbar

Ringing Ears!

Today I shot an AR15 for the first time in my life. It was the 3rd time I've ever fired a real gun in my life, and when it fired, all I could hear was *BAM*-skweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my ears were ringing! Of course, this made me think about DayZ and the realistic effects of shootingguns. Is it normal for ears to ring when shooting a high-powered rifle? My friend shot the rest of the 30rnd magazine without ear protection and I was in the corner plugging my ears LOL.

• Like 1

Yes, that is what happens when you fire a gun (or hear any other loud noise) without hearing protection.

Semi-relatedly, who is foolish enough to fire a gun without ear protection? It doesn't make you "badass"

That is how you get hearing damage.

• Like 2

As some one that has made their living with fire arms in the past and to some point, still to this day, ear protection is a MUST. I have permanent hearing damage because i was young and stupid once, didn't use ear-pro on the range, figured the ringing would just go away, yeah, tinnitus sucks..........

Real life firearms, especially military rifles, are extremely loud. The only gun in the game that sounds remotely realistic to me is the AK101.

Yeah, it was loud as hell. I'll definitely wear earplugs next time I shoot. I can see how this would be an overbearing feature do implement into DayZ, but I really wasn't expecting that lol

Having being around firearms a lot in my life! I have severe hearing damage in my right ear! About a 40% lose and about a 20% lose in my left ear! I now wear ear plugs and ear muffs at the range!  If you continue shooting start wearing both or get electronic ear muffs! 

Edited by JimmahD

Yup, there's no good reason to not wear earplugs.  They even have options that only dampen high impulse noise, so you can still have a conversation in between shots.

I would enjoy it if they added ear protection and permanent hearing damage to this game; it would add another much-needed layer of strategy to player behavior.  Imagine being holed-up in an apartment in Cherno somewhere taking pot-shots at passers-by, only to realize that you couldn't hear the footsteps of the person coming upstairs to kill you.

• Like 1

In Arma 3 when you shoot inside the building, you really get Ringing Ears. I hope this will be in next update. 

Weapons are not enough laud. During the war I could hear gun fire from other side of town.

• Like 1

On 13. 9. 2016 at 11:06 PM, igor-vk said:

Weapons are not enough laud. During the war I could hear gun fire from other side of town.

Afaik this might get resolved via Arma 3 audio module which is being ported to DayZ as we speak :)

On 12. 9. 2016 at 9:59 AM, Kohlbar said:

Today I shot an AR15 for the first time in my life. It was the 3rd time I've ever fired a real gun in my life, and when it fired, all I could hear was *BAM*-skweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my ears were ringing! Of course, this made me think about DayZ and the realistic effects of shootingguns. Is it normal for ears to ring when shooting a high-powered rifle? My friend shot the rest of the 30rnd magazine without ear protection and I was in the corner plugging my ears LOL.

Yup. Once i was on a shooting range and i didn't manage to apply ear plugs in time when like ten 7.62 assault rifles opened fire at once. It made me run away with an earache...

I would like to join to recommendation of the guys above - Don't do that, really, you may easily get your hearing damaged permanently. For shooting without protection i recommend Flobert rifles :)

Edited by Blafirelli

I spent some time this morning talking to Andrej our Sound Designer about this topic. From a design standpoint, following ringing in a users ears from gunshots would get way too annoying, way too fast.

That said, Andrej is very much interested in explosions causing a ringing in the ear - no ETA on when we'll try setting this up, but it IS something he would love to do.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

I spent some time this morning talking to Andrej our Sound Designer about this topic. From a design standpoint, following ringing in a users ears from gunshots would get way too annoying, way too fast.

That said, Andrej is very much interested in explosions causing a ringing in the ear - no ETA on when we'll try setting this up, but it IS something he would love to do.

That's awesome! I can imagine being stuck in camo building with ringing ears from the breach grenades

3 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Just a quick suggestion - while i understand it would be annoying to have the ringing after every shot outside (and also not entirely realistic), would it be possible to introduce it only for situation of shooting larger calibers indoors?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blafirelli said:

Just a quick suggestion - while i understand it would be annoying to have the ringing after every shot outside (and also not entirely realistic), would it be possible to introduce it only for situation of shooting larger calibers indoors?

@Hicks_206 (DayZ)  That seems totally fair and appropriate.  I've never been to an indoor range, (we'll mostly just drive 15 minutes out of town and find a nice valley or hillside, East of the Cascades) But I've heard from a few people that you REALLY don't want to be in there without ear protection for any period of time.

My first experiences with actual firearms at a shooting range surprised me at how loud it was, we were firing off .45 caliber rounds from a pistol(forget the make) and even with ear protection there is some serious noise being produced by those rounds. Its louder then you think.

Instead of ringing, as a less irritating alternative which still reduces hearing some people have suggested a temporary lowering of in-game sound effects following close gunfire. Also: wear ear pro.

• Like 2

That's a pretty good compromise, Gews. Maybe if there was only a very short/quiet ringing effect that faded out quickly so as not to become annoying, but the reduced hearing persisted longer.

Guns are loud, true, but there wouldn’t be any need for ringing in the ears while playing DayZ. In a life or death situation your auditory senses almost shut down to focus you mind and other senses on the task at hand. If you know any cops ask them and they will collaborate what I’m saying. I believe the condition is called “Tunneling In” where you hyper focus on your target and the rest of the world gets shut out. There’s a lot of information about it on the net where cops and soldiers have this experience.  I am an avid hunter and after killing poor defenseless animals I’ve never experienced a ringing in the ears but if I go to a firing range I must wear earplugs or my ears will ring for an hour.  Good call not adding it to the game.

Edited by Judged_Guitly

17 hours ago, Judged_Guitly said:

Guns are loud, true, but there wouldn’t be any need for ringing in the ears while playing DayZ. In a life or death situation your auditory senses almost shut down to focus you mind and other senses on the task at hand. If you know any cops ask them and they will collaborate what I’m saying. I believe the condition is called “Tunneling In” where you hyper focus on your target and the rest of the world gets shut out. There’s a lot of information about it on the net where cops and soldiers have this experience.  I am an avid hunter and after killing poor defenseless animals I’ve never experienced a ringing in the ears but if I go to a firing range I must wear earplugs or my ears will ring for an hour.  Good call not adding it to the game.

I indeed didn't think about that. Thanks for bringing in new perspective...