Sign in to follow this  
exwoll

Private server permadeath subservers/universes (hardcore)

I don´t know if it would be ever possible to achieve this, but I´ll still give the idea:

Permadeath Sub-servers/Universes for HARDCORE private Servers

The Server (let´s say DUGEU f.e.) which is on a private hive, has a subset of servers (let´s say 10) which are the different DUGEU "universes".  Each subserver has the same main rules and configuration of the main server  and only have different CLE, climate config (probably town names if possible in modding).

How would it work?

The subservers/universes are not visible to players. Once someone decide to join DUGEU, he spawns in a random universe and is assigned internally to that server so each time he logs-in he will play the same universe.

When the player dies in his universe/subserver, he respawns again, but in a different random universe/subserver to which he is assigned by the Server and will log-in from now on (till he dies again). He loses all his stuff, all his allies and foes, everything, and start from scratch in a universe with different factions, groups, and  rules of life (CLE, infected hotspots, wildlife quantity, weather, etC).

Pros

1. Real hardcore immersion and value for your character life
  2. Suicides will be really rare, because no one would ever know in which Solnichnyi he spawned
  3. Each "life" will be different. New people, different environmental variables (weather, infected, predators, probably slightly different maps with inaccesible towns,etc once modding is available), different available weapons, etc.
  4. In-game communication will be more valuable since it will be complex to get to know in which universe are you and. So communicating outside the game will have a limited effect.
  5. Players that don´t play with friends would be happy with this
  6. Servers would be able to host a lot more players (which would help a lot once the game is released and the playerbase grow)
  7. Extreme experiences, literally your life gonna depend of your actions
  8. In-game friends will cost their weight in gold lol. Gonna be VERY painful to see them die.

Cons

1. If you play with friends, and one of them dies, it would be very difficult to reunite again (but again, some will find this a pro for a more exciting experience)
  2. Server maintenance would be more expensive (however, once the game is released, and more servers will appear it would be feasible to make groups and unite efforts to create better places)
  3. You will get stressed 
Edited by exwoll
  • Like 1

Great idea. This is a really interesting way of making perma-death, not perma-death. But definitely down the line when the game hits Beta. Maybe not a BI Studios run idea?

Yeah, I doubt BI will run something like this. But they would need to make it possible for others to do, because I guess some hardcore and rp servers would be interested in doing something like this. Once the game is released they will be overwhelmed with new players, and gonna be impossible to have them all in 1 server, and having a set of universes could be a cool way to have everyone happy :)

Posted a similar idea on the subreddit, which was a more fleshed out version of a post I made a couple years ago (just the perma-death part).

DAYZ HARDCORE

So here's an interview of Brian Hicks by Vigilante Gamer (fanstastic channel), and in this video the topic of simulating death comes up. Basically they mention ways to make players fear death, but it kind of falls short. My suggestion was that DayZ implement a hardcore mode, which is basically a separate public server hive. This idea is that you click "Join Hardcore" in the main menu, and you are sent to a random server in this hive, based on ping, location, etc. You CANNOT change server until you die, and once you do, you are immediately sent to another random one. This is true permadeath, because there would be no "heading back to camp to gear up" or "meeting up with so and so because I just died." No more getting revenge on someone after death, and no means of stealing from their camp if they killed you in the act. Of course there would be parameters to prevent people from suiciding till they get to the server they want.

You die, that's it. All your loot, the camp you made, and the friends you lost, are effectively gone for good. Suddenly, rushing the enemy kamikaze-style no longer seems like a good idea. Telling your friend to suicide because they're sick, is no longer a plausible means of getting rid of the disease. The friends you have are the ones you find along the way, and the ones you've lost are not coming back.

"It's been four days, and you finally met a group of guys who didn't want to put a bullet in your head, and you've become great friends. You've fought together, killed zeds together, built a base and made a home for yourself. However, one of them has gotten sick, and will die without medication from the hospital in the city nearby. Are you willing to risk losing your loot, your home, your friends, in order to save one in the group? Once he's gone, he gone for good, and the choice is yours."

Edited by Hikurac
  • Like 2

I think modded servers will give all us brutally hardcore survivalists what we are wanting from this game. And in general, modding is one of the best things the Devs could implement to make the game enjoyable for many different types of player.

I'm a Kiwi, and have spent years in the NZ bush (ex trapper), and walked an average of 14 km per day, in some pretty unforgiving county. Stamina vs distance is your main consideration ...it's what kills you if you get wet and cold, injured, hungry and thirsty. So I added this to the game through self imposed rules, just to see how something as simple as truly realistic stamina would effect the difficultly for me. I only allowed myself to 'run / jog' for very short distances with a full...ish pack, and the rest of the time, I had to walk (like you would in real life).

It completely changed the whole feel of the game ....I found myself staying in one area for longer, being ruthless with inventory space and only going into towns for essential items, planning my scavenging runs carefully to avoid zombie contact, and thinking about environmental factors a lot more before making the long hike to the next town / city. I was no longer complaining that loot spawn rates were too high, as I was restricted so much by loot range. In conclusion, I could imagine vehicles / fuel / parts, etc, would become the most valued items, as this would allow groups to scavenge a wider area, and even migrate further north for better gear. It would naturally make trade a far more essential player interaction, and would see players forming stronger ties with other groups in different areas. Gun fights would be far more intense ...as bandit groups would be forced to take on a far more 'pack hunter' mentality because of slowed tactical movement.

I think this would achieve the "value for life" we are all wanting, and with just some simple changes to a few code values in the game files. Instead of spawning on a different server (Just to clarify ...my vision of a survival game is one where you have to buy the game again if you die ..one chance to survive. So I'm not saying that your idea is "too hardcore"), having to make that long, arduous journey from the coast over days or even weeks, will be enough to make anyone think twice about risking death for an unnecessary reason.

Also ....the map immediately seemed 100x bigger ....Tisy, and even NW airfield seemed like an impossible dream.

If you want a huge difficulty spike ...try this yourself. Walk everywhere...as you would in real life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShaneRetter said:

.my vision of a survival game is one where you have to buy the game again if you die .

Don't give them ideas for DLC xD. 

I can just imagine this: A modder makes the "Ultimate Hardcore Dayz Mod". You dl it for free, but every time you die, you have to pay 5$ to respawn, in a different server. lol 

Pros : Griefing 101 The amount of killing of the individual group members just to piss them off will sky rocket. I mean, I'm going to see a group of three, kill two and laugh my ass off.

Now I play alone so it won't bother me. 

Edited by General Zod

34 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Pros : Griefing 101 The amount of killing of the individual group members just to piss them off will sky rocket. I mean, I'm going to see a group of three, kill two and laugh my ass off.

Now I play alone so it won't bother me. 

Well, it is an apocalypse .....how long would you last in real life if you waved, and said "friendly" at every stranger you meet? ....or even if you fully trust the band of sewer rats you choose to "team up" with. The one pro I see, is forming real trusting friendships when you've meet someone who hasn't tried to grief you. Keep in mind ....I'm thinking of the future for super hardcore 'RP' survival servers. Are you really going to risk pulling a gun for shits n giggles ...if it took you weeks to get everything you have? ...and if you thought your companion was planning something like that ...you'd be thinking pretty hard about ditching them the first chance you got. I'm just hoping that modding will give us the option to have these hardcore servers out there. If they aren't very popular, so be it ...I'd be happy if survivalist servers were less populated ...at the moment, I have more human interaction in a post apocalyptic game than I do in real life....I'd love interactions to be rare, unsure, and memorable.

Edited by ShaneRetter

1 hour ago, ShaneRetter said:

...at the moment, I have more human interaction in a post apocalyptic game than I do in real life....

The only thing is that they try to communicate with you via bullets XD

Just like any real apocalypse should be ...I don't mind that part, It adds to the tension of being a loner. I dislike nerfed "no kos" RP servers, they get boring pretty quick, even though I try to avoid pvp.

Hey, do you play on Underground as well?, saw you mention it in another post.

On 08/11/2016 at 9:38 PM, ShaneRetter said:

Are you really going to risk pulling a gun for shits n giggles ...if it took you weeks to get everything you have? 

Actually yes I am, I don't have much time to play games anymore so I won't play the survival hermit style anyway, the amusement from doing that will be worth it, and if I die I probably won't touch DayZ for a long long time. 

Edited by General Zod

Not talking about vanilla Dayz, so don't know why you would stop playing on other servers. We're talking about hardcore realism servers, modded for a far more realistic apocalypse experience. I'd imagine there would only be a small sub-community that plays on such servers, and It would be interesting to see how truly invested players reacted to someone who didn't care about their characters life, or anyone elses....I'd say you'd be shot, or isolated for being a group liability long before you could point a gun at anyone.

• Like 1