Sign in to follow this  
BRiiTASH

Anti-Gamma

We need anti-gamma. This has recently just been implemented into RUST and I honestly believe it is about time that this is addressed. Currently players (including myself) just crank up the gamma at night to make everything visible and play like daytime and honestly it is very unimmersive and I consider a borderliness exploit. Can Bohemian please implement an anti-gamma system so night time is night as it should be.2016-09-01_16-04-56.jpg

This is what the RUST DEVS have managed to achieve. As you can see cranking up the game does not make it any easier to see things in shadowed areas anymore, making torch's and flares a necessity at night. Think I might have to put DAYZ aside and check this new update out.

• Like 5

From Rust devblog:

Anti-Gamma

Gamma cranking, a.k.a. the classic de-facto way to play Rust at night, shouldn’t be possible anymore. It does not matter what setting you crank, there just won’t be any details in deep shadows for your monitor to pick up.

• Like 3

Thanks but no thanks,

I'm playing on full day/night cycle servers, and usually in the evening, this is how it would look like if they implemented your idea

I haven't purchased a game to see no shit for the few hours in the evening I can play DayZ

qW11ZSR.jpg

A monitor is unable to reproduce the human eye and its night vision. Yes we have night vision. Gamma is just here to correct what the monitor cannot simulate; the capability of your eye to adapt to low light.

Just don't use Gamma correction, no need to force the other to taste your vision of "realism".

Edited by MaxTheSurvivor

1 hour ago, MaxTheSurvivor said:

this is how it would look like if they implemented your idea

That's a terrible example of dark, thanks to the perpetual full moon, which is there to appease visibility complaints. 

This is dark:

qawP9TD.jpg

1 hour ago, MaxTheSurvivor said:

A monitor is unable to reproduce the human eye and its night vision. Yes we have night vision. Gamma is just here to correct what the monitor cannot simulate; the capability of your eye to adapt to low light.

Just don't use Gamma correction, no need to force the other to taste your vision of "realism".

Oh boy. Humans are not nocturnal animals. 

That's why we invented these:

NV.jpg

• Like 1

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(eye)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Efficiency[edit]

The human eye can function from very dark to very bright levels of light; its sensing capabilities reach across nine orders of magnitude. This means that the brightest and the darkest light signal that the eye can sense are a factor of roughly 1,000,000,000 apart. However, in any given moment of time, the eye can only sense a contrast ratio of one thousand. What enables the wider reach is that the eye adapts its definition of what is black.

The eye takes approximately 20–30 minutes to fully adapt from bright sunlight to complete darkness and become ten thousand to one million times more sensitive than at full daylight. In this process, the eye's perception of color changes as well (this is called the Purkinje effect). However, it takes approximately five minutes for the eye to adapt to bright sunlight from darkness. This is due to cones obtaining more sensitivity when first entering the dark for the first five minutes but the rods take over after five or more minutes.[1]

Dark adaptation is far quicker and deeper in young people than the elderly. [2]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never been in the army, isn't it? I suggest you go out of the city once in a while far from the city light pollution. And you'll see how your eyes are able to adapt to the darkness. No need for night vision goggles for that, our eyes are not that bad at it, sure far from other nocturne animals but still brighter than the picture I posted above.

2 hours ago, MaxTheSurvivor said:

Thanks but no thanks,

I'm playing on full day/night cycle servers, and usually in the evening, this is how it would look like if they implemented your idea

I haven't purchased a game to see no shit for the few hours in the evening I can play DayZ

qW11ZSR.jpg

It's a survival game, honey, night means night.

7 hours ago, billnyetherussianpie said:

It's a survival game, honey, night means night.

Listen "honey", 14 years of real life personal experience and scientific proofs tell me something completely different from what you say, being pedantic is not an argument

Thats why I like this time accelerated servers. There you´re able to play at night and day if you only can play a few hours in the evening. I don´t like the cranked gamma thing. Normally I try to grab a torch. It´s so freakin awsome. But if I get to high risk areas I crank the gamma up because I don´t want to die. I think it would be a great and authentic game experience if everybody needs to use lightsources like torches, flashlights and flares for nightplay. Especially with the new dynamic shadow thing, which will be implemented at .61. And for now, a torch or a fire is only visible in a range of maybe 200-300 meters. So its not to dangerous right now. I hope they will ad some LoD to fireplaces and torches so you can spot them from further away. But I don´t know if this will be possible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MaxTheSurvivor said:

Thanks but no thanks,

The monitor not, but the devs yes. Humans can only see at night IF there is a light source (moon, stars, a town with all lights on,etc), in total darkness we dont see shit (at least normal people and not the ones that have the weird cat-eye mutation). 

Devs can fix the amount of light that comes from the sky and illuminate the surroundings in a realistic way, the anti-gamma will only block you from getting more than that filling all the areas that you wouldn't see in real life with black (or blue as they did in rust).

So pls don't take it to an extreme, in real life you'll be never able to see as clear as in Dayz with gamma cranked up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exwoll said:

The monitor not, but the devs yes. Humans can only see at night IF there is a light source (moon, stars, a town with all lights on,etc), in total darkness we dont see shit (at least normal people and not the ones that have the weird cat-eye mutation). 

Devs can fix the amount of light that comes from the sky and illuminate the surroundings in a realistic way, the anti-gamma will only block you from getting more than that filling all the areas that you wouldn't see in real life with black (or blue as they did in rust).

So pls don't take it to an extreme, in real life you'll be never able to see as clear as in Dayz with gamma cranked up.

Exactly, night would be pointless if you could see almost perfectly. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaxTheSurvivor said:

Listen "honey", 14 years of real life personal experience and scientific proofs tell me something completely different from what you say, being pedantic is not an argument

Jesus Christ, dude, It's a survival game. It's made to be hard. Night is meant to be dark, being able to see almost perfectly would render night, pointless. It's supposed to put you at a disadvantage if you don't have a light source. People shouldn't be able to just go and turn gamma all the way up, and have vision like it were daytime. It's borderline retarded to say otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from. I'm not saying make the bitch pitch black, It needs to be at least difficult to see. 

On 04/09/2016 at 10:24 PM, MaxTheSurvivor said:

Thanks but no thanks,

-

So use a torch. Use night vision goggles. If it's so dark that you can literally see nothing without a light, I'm sure the devs will brighten the nights up a bit so you can at least see basic shapes.

I see no good reason why the gamma exploit shouldn't be removed if it is possible to remove it.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 1

I am partial to both parties, here.

Yes, night-time should be dark, but it should also be tied to the phase of the moon and where you are.

If there is no moon out, then it should be dark as fuck. If the moon is full and bright in the sky, then it should be at least bright enough to see where you are going. I have read a book by the light of the full moon before. 

However, if you are inside a building, or under heavy tree cover, then that moonlight won;t penetrate, and it will be dark as fuck again.

• Like 2

Tommekk already has a very nice solution:

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/234060-how-to-fight-the-abuse-of-the-gamma-settings/

Basically a Tommekk has created a global shader that is applied to only the darkest parts, adding noise, blur, and desaturation, simulating a human eye response, still allowing users to choose their own gamma settings.
Animated it looks even better.

On 9/4/2016 at 6:46 PM, -Gews- said:

That's a terrible example of dark, thanks to the perpetual full moon, which is there to appease visibility complaints. 

This is dark:

qawP9TD.jpg

The good old days )))

Gamma fix is diffidently needed. Night time used to be a scary experience in DayZ, but after you discover Gamma it's basically shitty-looking daytime. And i'm not going to put myself at a disadvantage against players who are using the exploit by not using it myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troll_Hunter said:

Tommekk already has a very nice solution:

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/234060-how-to-fight-the-abuse-of-the-gamma-settings/

Basically a Tommekk has created a global shader that is applied to only the darkest parts, adding noise, blur, and desaturation, simulating a human eye response, still allowing users to choose their own gamma settings.
Animated it looks even better.

Yup, I think rust people took his idea lol. I just hope the guy in charge of dayz will implement this soon

• Like 1

Why devs haven't commented a thing about this? :/

Or you guys have a possible solution and just don't want hackers to start thinking how to break it before it's even implemented? :P

a thought recently crossed my mind regarding "gamma level adjustments".

idea:
dynamically changing rendering-distance (rd) roughly based on non-artificial factors such as

• time of the day
  • cloudiness and
  • lunar phase.

You drastically limit the rd - i.e. for dynamic objects and characters (players, npcs, dynamically spawning loot and player built/set-up constructions) - based on these three variables above.
Now you add artificial factors (light sources) into the calculation:

• lamps
  • fire
  • torches
  • muzzle flash
  • chemlights

Depending on the present sources of artificial light and their distance and/or intensity regarding to your character the rd is readjusted dynamically.
This means you absolutely need artifical light sources at night or in dark places in order to see loot or other npcs or players

possible downsides:

• engine related and therefore no chance to see that as it's far too much work to change rendering on such a level
  • too taxing on server load
  • guaranteed min. lag between rd-distance switches too high and therefore unacceptable for the game experience
  • how to resolve dark interiors, like basements or rooms w/o windows still an open topic here

cheers anyway :D