Sign in to follow this  
Mookie (original)

So, character resets are still a thing then.

Bit salty about that. Was just working on replacing my stashes, most of which seem to have disappeared to server resets.

I tried logging in to a favourite server, it game me 'scene ready', so I quit it. Now standing on the beach in my jeans on every server.

well... shit. :-/  hope you didn't have too much on you at the time...

Private hive? can reset if persistence has been damaged.

Did we just get an update?? for public

2 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Private hive? can reset if persistence has been damaged.

Did we just get an update?? for public

There hasn't been any updates recently, no.

When you log off, your character can stay in game for like 30seconds. It's possible to kill someone who has already closed the game because their character is still visible in the server. I think this happens because it was either an attempt at stopping combat logging or it just happens because of how it is coded and hasn't been addressed yet. This could've been what happened to you. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with character resets recently

Edited by JBURNS489

3 hours ago, JBURNS489 said:

When you log off, your character can stay in game for like 30seconds. It's possible to kill someone who has already closed the game because their character is still visible in the server. I think this happens because it was either an attempt at stopping combat logging or it just happens because of how it is coded and hasn't been addressed yet. This could've been what happened to you. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with character resets recently

Thanks, I'm aware of that, and can say with 99.9999% certainty that this is not what happened. I think I was just unlucky with a server restart.

7 hours ago, SMoss said:

There hasn't been any updates recently, no.

Besides, didn't Hicks say we'd only get character resets at new builds?

Sadly we still have character resets and car resets.

This seems entirely random for both of these bugs and are persistent since the hyped 0.61 update.

Am really bored about DayZ and the patches they introduce. I was hoping for a speed-up in development since the enfusion renderer was finished.

However we still have the same crap game we played at day one in SA. A buggy pile of shit that eats cars and characters.

• Like 1

No, wait, this just gets better. Starting anew as a bambi I run off the coast and after an hour or two am well kitted - not least thanks to some typical generosity from Red Ensign.

I then log in to a different server only to experience a variation on the naked bug. I still have an M4 (kitted) and a plate carrier, but hunting pack and all clothing has gone.

I'm afraid I could be forgiven for thinking that the game is simply wasting my time at the moment.

Edit: this does not mean I share Valdenburg's point of view btw. Other than the naked bug (which I kind've thought had been dealt with), servers do still restart and if you're very unlucky they will wipe you char. So in this case I was wondering why a particular server wasn't popping up in my favourites tab. I filter-searched for it and there it was. In hindsight, in those few minutes it had restarted, had yet to connect to the hive and I was wiped as a result - the same thing that's always been a risk - except now it's a risk less frequently than every four hours.

So let's be careful out there people.

Edited by Mookie (original)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, barnabus said:

Essentially, any update is a new build. But yeah, only full wipes for major updates unless planned otherwise.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, barnabus said:

This isn't what I'm talking about, but you probably understand what I'm getting at...

21 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

This isn't what I'm talking about, but you probably understand what I'm getting at...

My favorite public server just went away, where I don't know, it's just no longer showing on the server list.  All my good shit was stashed there.

7 hours ago, barnabus said:

My favorite public server just went away, where I don't know, it's just no longer showing on the server list.  All my good shit was stashed there.

That happens when there is not enough donations to continue to keep it around. It is very costly to run a dedicated GSP private hive, and public is not what some of us want.

I recommend Bluewaffles for lots of pvp, and HIHB for events. Unless you like to Roleplay.

Most of these are moving IP's and getting away from DDOS attacks going on.

Starting again in your underwear is still the most interesting part of the game  - it ought to be called the "endgame"

xx p

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sneakydude said:

That happens when there is not enough donations to continue to keep it around. It is very costly to run a dedicated GSP private hive, and public is not what some of us want.

I recommend Bluewaffles for lots of pvp, and HIHB for events. Unless you like to Roleplay.

Most of these are moving IP's and getting away from DDOS attacks going on.

Pretty sure this wasn't a rented server by anyone or any group. 

18 hours ago, barnabus said:

Pretty sure this wasn't a rented server by anyone or any group. 

A "Public" server is a server set up by a SP company - they hire blocks of hardware server space, set up X examples (instances)  of the game on each server, and sell them off individually as clients turn up willing to pay.. as long as an instance of the game is NOT sold it is "called" PUBLIC and anyone can play on it. 

This "vanishing act" was NOT Bohemia's intention when they gave out rights to SPs to install and sell instances of the game, and REQUIRED them to provide a percentage of Public servers. . However it IS how the SPs operate .. (it took ME about 3 days to nail this down solo two years ago, because I SAW this arriving -  so I guess a Games Developer Team .. COULD have predicted it..   ...  hmmm?)

UNFORTUNATELY it did NOT Occur to anyone at Bohemia to write into the SOFTWARE (and into the CONTRACT too, why not)  that when a Public (spare, unsold) instance was allocated to a customer - the existing GAME STATE would be auto-saved and replaced on ANOTHER Public server and those players INFORMED automatically of the change in IP to their new public server location.

Before "persistence" it didn't matter a "lot", and by the time someone had noticed the OBVIOUS problem, "persistence" was on the way.

BUT - this is not an extremely difficult concept for a games company to wrap their heads around.. and the software is not enormously complex -  because (for starters) Bohemia record and OWN the gamestate of all players on THEIR BI server, which they also OWN .... therefore it could have been done, but was not predicted (except by me,  yea!) and Bohemia were already on the road to private servers => Modding.. and THAT makes it easy and great for BI because it keeps them totally clear of the SPs, the extra work, and any ACTIVE support for Public servers.

So if you play on ANY Public server it can vanish at ANY time because that IP address was only a PUBLIC Server temporarily and the SP has now SOLD it (hired it to a paying client)  - it is now "privately owned" - even if the buyer runs it as an open server it was wiped when it was delivered to him.

What makes this even more pathetic is the SPs signed to keep an AGREED percentage of their DayZ severs as Public (at their own expense) in the original contract. BUT there was no thought about WHICH servers would be public, and SPs can switch them around.. they hire a block of 10 server spaces in Australia, and 7 are sold and 3 are public.. then they also sell the 3 public .. so now they hire another block of 5 server space in some other place in Australia  - Those 5 are all public until the SP starts selling them out to clients (which happens 100% automatically through their website) .. So they uphold their deal with Bohemia (there are still always public servers available funded by the SPs) .. BUT your last public server does not exist anymore, its been wiped and hired to a paying client - and/but you can STILL play on a public server (just all your GEAR has GONE dude..).

QUITE Easily (I mean as "easy" as writing any other software function) and AUTOMATICALLY Bohemia could have arranged a BUILT-IN transfer of player state from one IP when it becomes "non public" to another where any "closest" Public sever is open, or a new public server opens, or someone stops hiring and their server becomes Public ..  There are always Public severs in reasonable range BY CONTRACT.
But Bohemia did not consider this. You should understand that the SPs do all this installation, hiring, setting up, selling, TOTALLY automatically and have NO idea which is public and which is private, etc..  - the average Games SP company has a boss, a secretary and ONE engineer.. dude (these are 5-people organizations max, typically) ... they do NOT do ANYTHING by hand in any of the 300 games they AUTO install and auto sell..

BI could have built that TRANSFER into the game but BI are really not interested in Public servers.

end of tale

sad tale, hu?

XX pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

Wow, Pilgrim, very comprehensive and thorough explanation of the most likely scenario.  Cases of beans for you.  Thanks. 

I  am a firm believer of not keeping all my eggs in once basket, hence the reason I'll have many small caches across the map rather than one large all encompassing base.  I have to learn to spread that across servers, but remembering where caches on a given server can be a challenge for me.

Edited by barnabus
  • Like 1

Yes, great post Pilgrim. I think we've discussed before how this is one of the fundamental problems for making persistence work. BI clearly put a lot of work into that, but the server issue was left unresolved. 

Operationally barnabus, I'm the same - I try to be as dispersed as possible, and to split as far as possible between 'public' servers and those privately operated ones that I have at least some faith in. 

BTW, in 0.59 I lost a huge stash when a UK public server went dark. Four days later it came back, and (surprisingly) my stash was still there...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, barnabus said:

Wow, Pilgrim, very comprehensive and thorough explanation of the most likely scenario.  Cases of beans for you.  Thanks. 

I  am a firm believer of not keeping all my eggs in once basket, hence the reason I'll have many small caches across the map rather than one large all encompassing base.  I have to learn to spread that across servers, but remembering where caches on a given server can be a challenge for me.

What eggs? this is what people in dayz don't get. It is alpha and everything must go. So we should not be attached to any stash or gear currently on ourselves.

I know... you lose all those hours of hard work, and i completely agree but with the current state, you pretty much can lose everything you own the very next day. Tents, and barrels are found way to easy.

Gawd help us if base building becomes a thing, because it will be wiped before the following updates.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sneakydude said:

What eggs? this is what people in dayz don't get. It is alpha and everything must go. So we should not be attached to any stash or gear currently on ourselves.

I know... you lose all those hours of hard work, and i completely agree but with the current state, you pretty much can lose everything you own the very next day. Tents, and barrels are found way to easy.

Gawd help us if base building becomes a thing, because it will be wiped before the following updates.

'Means that Public servers - folk used to call them "official" servers - don't work right with persistence and *NEVER* will, alpha game or omega game.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:40 AM, sneakydude said:

These eggs weren't wiped by an update to a build, they were wiped because the server went bye bye for some reason.  That's all, I understand that this is an alpha, right now, I have two things to do, avoid other players and make caches at different locations on the map.  I enjoy doing these things.  Personally, I am getting pretty sick of the "don't get attached to your gear" crowd and are starting to think of them as having that Aloha Snackbar/YOLO/KoS mentality.  There's nothing "wrong" with being attached to your gear during the course of a build.  My public character has been killed twice, so far, and both of those deaths were deaths by misadventure involving busses.  NOT other players.  In one instance I had gear caches I could rely on to regear quickly.  In the other, because that server had been lost I did not.  DayZ is a SURVIVAL game isn't it?

Edited by barnabus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, barnabus said:

These eggs weren't wiped by an update to a build, they were wiped because the server went bye bye for some reason.  That's all, I understand that this is an alpha, right now, I have two things to do, avoid other players and make caches at different locations on the map.  I enjoy doing these things.  Personally, I am getting pretty sick of the "don't get attached to your gear" crowd and are starting to think of them as having that Aloha Snackbar/YOLO/KoS mentality.  There's nothing "wrong" with being attached to your gear during the course of a build.  My public character has been killed twice, so far, and both of those deaths were deaths by misadventure involving busses.  NOT other players.  In one instance I had gear caches I could rely on to regear quickly.  In the other, because that server had been lost I did not.  DayZ is a SURVIVAL game isn't it?

You maybe sick of it, but its the truth. It is out of our control. The more people realize there is no way we can protect our stuff because of other players, bugs, and game updates you have to realize we as players have no control.

Best to keep learning that. I totally agree with you on many levels but facts are facts we as players have no control. Maybe one day it gets fixed where we can PVE in a PVP survival game. I too wish for this.

13 hours ago, sneakydude said:

You maybe sick of it, but its the truth. It is out of our control. The more people realize there is no way we can protect our stuff because of other players, bugs, and game updates you have to realize we as players have no control.

Best to keep learning that. I totally agree with you on many levels but facts are facts we as players have no control. Maybe one day it gets fixed where we can PVE in a PVP survival game. I too wish for this.

Of course you're right sneaky. My many random deaths and wipes are now the cause of a smile, rather than a howl of anguish.

But I also sympathise a lot with Barnabus about the server point. If saved gear can disappear at any moment, it seems to undermine the whole point of persistence. And some of us have a playstyle that is very much about getting good gear, hanging on to it and staying alive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

Of course you're right sneaky. My many random deaths and wipes are now the cause of a smile, rather than a howl of anguish.

But I also sympathise a lot with Barnabus about the server point. If saved gear can disappear at any moment, it seems to undermine the whole point of persistence. And some of us have a playstyle that is very much about getting good gear, hanging on to it and staying alive.

Exactly and how long have you and i been playing this? both All Three of us where like that when .45 and .46, and so on came out. We hoped it would be prevailing. My hopes are your hopes but what i am going to say might not be cool. I don't believe the base building will be that good on public servers. I do believe it will work on private, white listed servers. There are too many failures to happen on public servers. It will be exactly like how rust, ark and many more end up becoming raided, grieved etc... So unless you figure out what you want to do, and how it will fail you will get losses of gear after gear until your fed up. So its best to get used to it now, and understand it can be worse before better. When a server goes poof, it is not the fault of the server owner, usually. It is the patches, the loss of membership, or the costs. It was too soon to start hosting your own servers without modding. A simple step that wasn't foreseen. The community needed to grow together before apart. This way we would not have issues with the way hives worked until it was ready.

These decisions are not our fault or something we wanted. We had to go with it, which is one of the reasons why the server went poof for anyways. To store on a hive the gear, is almost impossible when someone with the same ip wants a fresh new server. Or not, whichever happens.

It just sucks is all for everyone, with differences of play style and appeal.

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, sneakydude said:

Persistence is like Appeasement, it works until it don't.

• Like 1