Shane O'mac

Considering buying dayz

I'm thinking about buying dayz. I'm just wondering how hard loot is to come by? Dieing doesn't bother me but is it going to take forever to get a new gun and ammo? I play george romero's aftermath and it's easy to build your inventory back up if you die. It also has a bank to save some stuff if you die. Is there anything like that in dayz?

You can find a tent in game, set it up somewhere and store items that way.
Tents are not available on all servers, you need one with persistence enabled. The tent will also be only on THAT server. Other people can find and loot it.

Sometimes you find ten guns in one house, sometimes you don't find a gun in several towns. Sometimes you have loads of ammo, sometimes you don't.
If you're not too picky you will never be without a gun for long.

You can always craft yourself a bow and arrows.

This game is hard. Well, unless you're on a 3rd person server. Then you're a wimp.

Edited by SoWeMeetAgain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shane O'mac said:

I'm thinking about buying dayz. I'm just wondering how hard loot is to come by? Dieing doesn't bother me but is it going to take forever to get a new gun and ammo? I play george romero's aftermath and it's easy to build your inventory back up if you die. It also has a bank to save some stuff if you die. Is there anything like that in dayz?

You should not buy it. You obviously are only interested in PVP, there are better games for that.

Dayz is a survival game, so PVE first and PVP second if you choose that route.

6 hours ago, Shane O'mac said:

Dieing doesn't bother me

oh it will, believe me, famous last words specially the undeserved deaths.  You will find little tea and sympathy here on the forums as it's all be heard a million times, just take it to the bug tracker and play your part in the alpha should you choose to buy it.   as for reupping on gear sometimes you wouldn't believe your luck other times? well it's not an easy game at the start thats for sure.

Bugs are always "bad" but generally speaking (in my opinion anyway) there are no bugs that are what you might call "game-breakers" or at least "Alpha-breakers".

Losing your weapon when you swap it, or losing a mag is about the worst that can happen...and you might still get hammered by a clipping infected or have your legs broken by a short jump....but these things are just legacy issues that are definitely going to be sorted out in due time.

There is an annoying issue with player temperature becoming deadly (Hyper/Hypothermia) but I find that I can mitigate these effects by moving North to cool down and South to warm up.

You can spend twice as much on a finished, fully released title and be immensely disappointed in it or you could pick this up and play it easily for 100 hours without being completely bored (even in it's current state of development).

BUT.....as nl mentioned......if you are primarily looking for a PVP experience...then you would be better served by H1Z1, Rust, ARK, or other Survival/Raiding offers.

You can watch a few streams to get an idea, although most all are in third person.

1 hour ago, philbur said:

BUT.....as nl mentioned......if you are primarily looking for a PVP experience...then you would be better served by H1Z1, Rust, ARK, or other Survival/Raiding offers.

That all depends on what kind of PVP experience you want.

8 hours ago, nl said:

Dayz is a survival game [...]

Yep... surviving the attacks of other players.

• Like 1

i wouldnt buy it rn it's just a deathmatch - if you do however only play on private servers. don't play on empty servers you won't learn anything, 90% the game is about the other players so always play on a high pop private server (public servers r full of hackers and dupers)

As a great man once said, for the current state? No, To see the game? No (You can watch streams and reviews and lets plays), for participating in development? possibly (for now, yes), and the great man was dean "rocket" hall and this statement has been made in 2013.

but if you want my opinion, you should probably buy the game. yeah, it has lot's of bugs, balance issues, missing features, kinda slow updates and ... but still is a freaking awesome experience and totally worth the money your paying. i had hell lot's of fun since 2013, a lot more than i deserved for that price. you wont find anything like dayz out there (yeah you can probably find survival games, but nothing like dayz) and we are only half a year to next price tag i suppose.  

Well I decided I would just buy the stand alone. If I hate it I'll just take a break from it for a while and maybe after a few updates things will be better when I come back to it. 

6 hours ago, Shane O'mac said:

Well I decided I would just buy the stand alone. If I hate it I'll just take a break from it for a while and maybe after a few updates things will be better when I come back to it. 

Well you really cant go wrong. By the time everything is finished and polished you will come to enjoy it more. There is many of us that have well over 1000 hours playing. The Devs over 5000 hours.

So you see there is tons of bugs that are stupid ones, but the game is playable and enjoyable at times. If we can get rid of the DDOs Attacks happening and the constant cheating crap, to a point its enjoyable on public, private is really the only way to go.

There is a good number of us older players, and a ton of younger players. Most of which play on public, but us older players tend to stick to private servers and put events on or simply pvp it out all over the server. If its PVE your looking for, its very lacking and within a few hours you have it all learned.

Izurvive, is a good map to place yourself a marker where you logged off, or simply use it for a small group indicator.

Wiki's and other resources are always important, remember the maps and items change, so does the player base. We have gotten rid of many squeekers by the looks of it, but maybe i am not playing when they do.

The coast is still a bad place to loot up, so go inland and enjoy the experience.

Have fun and hope to see you in game!. which i doubt hehe