Sneakiam

Can't find food?

Hi!

I've faithful Dayz-player since the mod on Arma 2 and I must have around 500 hours in game. After a couple of months intermission, I'm now entering Chernarus with my friends again. We have a problem tho, where is all the can of beans? I've now died of starvation 3 or 4 times trying to find my way away from the shore.

The plan is always to stack up supplies in the nearest town I spawn, this way I'm securing my survival on the road towards NW AF. But we can't seem to find any food?? The best we got is 1 can of spaghetti, if we're lucky some rise. Are we doing something wrong? Is it all about hunting now a days?

Please help us.

Best regards.

My advice would be to get off the coast as soon as possible. Don't worry about stocking up on apples first, just get to the nearest inland town and start looting there first. You'll be hungry for longer, but you should find enough food to recoup your losses.

Edited by JonJohnyJohnson

40 minutes ago, JonJohnyJohnson said:

My advice would be to get off the coast as soon as possible. Don't worry about stocking up in apples first, just get to the nearest inland town and start looting there first. You'll be hungry for longer, but you should find enough food to recoup your losses.

Thank you for the reply.

Is there bigger chances of finding loot in the inner cities? I've gotten so far as Novy Sobor and also different earlier towns but I found the loot being similar. When I got to Novy I died of starvation. Is there any faster way of getting food without having to find it looting?

There certainly feels to be slightly less canned food around at the moment, but that could just be confirmation bias on my part.  

You need to consider that if you are taking one of the more common routes from the coast to NWAF you will almost certainly be following in the footsteps of previous survivors who will have stripped the towns of any "easy" food sources.  Also, if it's a persistence on server and it's been a while since the last maintenance reboot and general restart then food can be VERY scarce.  

I might be wrong here - and someone please correct me if I am - but my understanding is that after the Wednesday maintenance reboot all loot is generated.  Then players take stuff and the next time the server restarts it generates random fresh loot to replace what is taken.  Given that people tend to take the good stuff (like canned food) and leave the junk, what happens is that more and more junk is left as less and less good stuff is spawned in.  Very rough example using just 2 items to demonstrate.  After a Wednesday reboot the server spawns 500 pens and 500 food.  The players take the 500 food but leave the 500 pens.  At the next restart the server needs to replace 500 items so it spawns in 250 pens and 250 food.  The players take the 250 food.  Next restart it replaces the missing 250 food with 125 pens and 125 food.  The server now has 875 pens and 125 food.  Food is now extremely rare.  Like I say, kust an example and I might be completely wrong, but it's how I feel it works.

Other than apples, which are a pain to find, best bet for food these days it to find a box of matches.  Once you have that, find a patch of stony ground, search for a stone, then craft an improvised stone knife.  Find and kill one of the plentiful and very common chickens that are everywhere nowadays, then skin and quarter it with the stone knife.  Take the chicken breast(s).  Use the stone knife to collect sticks from bushes and also cut off a branch from a tree.  Make a fire with rags and sticks, light ot with the matches.  Put the branch in your hands, add the chicken breast and point the branch towards the fire.  Soon as the chicken changes colour, it's ready to eat.  The only difficult thing in the entire process is finding some matches.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, krazypenguin said:

The only difficult thing in the entire process is finding some matches.

use stone knife on a tree.  get bark.  get stick.  cut stick in thirds.  combine.  you have 'matches'.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Red_Ensign said:

use stone knife on a tree.  get bark.  get stick.  cut stick in thirds.  combine.  you have 'matches'.

Dammit I missed that!!!  Thanks!

10 hours ago, krazypenguin said:

There certainly feels to be slightly less canned food around at the moment, but that could just be confirmation bias on my part.  

From the last Status Report:

Lastly - in regards to the Central Economy. I've kept an eye on forum posts, youtube videos, and livestreams and I've noticed some folks starting to question the availability of food. The slow reduction of non-perishable food is entirely intended. Peter and myself have been working with the design team to slowly reduce the amount of available non-perishable food every two or three days to a level that we're somewhat comfortable with.

Keep in mind, finding supplies like that shouldn't be too easy - players need to be at a position where considering picking berries and apples, killing animals, planting crops, or harvesting meat through... other methods.. is viable. Rest assured however, given that the economy is entirely dynamic - if things get too hard they can be easily changed without any update required to servers and clients.

- Brian Hicks / Creative Director

• Like 2

I've just uploaded a video about food bud, check it out if you have a minute, hope it helps :) 

Otherwise for now, apples are your best bet. Hopefully soon the bugs are fixed with both of the apples and the water.

21 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Otherwise for now, apples are your best bet. Hopefully soon the bugs are fixed with both of the apples and the water.

there's a bug with apples?  other than getting a hypothermia death sentence if you pick 6 apples on the wrong server, I mean.

Yup they are well aware of it, and will be fixed hopefully next patch or future patches.

Hypothermia is an incomplete new system that just needs to be finished i believe. Everything i wear is hot hot hot even soaked... like the ghillie you get the odd your face is melting bug and go grey within seconds.

gjeeez..

Have you guys not read Brians post about the controlled the food supply in real time.

They have deliberetly changed the supply to make the game harder. And I love it! (Build a camp ;) )

2 hours ago, elander said:

gjeeez..

Have you guys not read Brians post about the controlled the food supply in real time.

They have deliberetly changed the supply to make the game harder. And I love it! (Build a camp ;) )

Er, yes, because it's five posts above yours (and many had read that before in any case).

I'm a fan of the diminishing availability of ready food. It makes me think harder, investigate more game mechanics, etc. That said, if you're looking in clothing, quite a lot of canned stuff is still available, at least off the coast.

5 hours ago, elander said:

gjeeez..

Oh yes if not 100% of the posters, and game players have realized this that we currently have playing realize this.

but we have no camps yet. <---- which is just as important as the whole loot cycle in dayz if not more needs to be finalized, added and debugged before any any i repeat any changes to reducing any loot cycle.

did i say any yet?

Taking anything away at this stage or reducing the current loot cycle causes an alienation in the game itself. Coast to Coast travel is extremely boring if not repulsive. Some of us have been doing it since 2014 that's currently left playing.

If i have a camp, i use that camp as a "Goal" to the game, i will defend it, i will produce food around it, and i will explore for supplies.

0 supplies? i am stuck at my camp.

whats left pvp..... and searching only for so long your camps to steal, see whats in there and that's pretty much about it.

Edited by sneakydude

On 18/08/2016 at 1:31 PM, krazypenguin said:

lso, if it's a persistence on server and it's been a while since the last maintenance reboot and general restart then food can be VERY scarce.  

I might be wrong here - and someone please correct me if I am - but my understanding is that after the Wednesday maintenance reboot all loot is generated.  

Food is now extremely rare.  Like I say, kust an example and I might be completely wrong, but it's how I feel it works.

- fraid you ARE wrong about this kp, this is not at all how persistence works - the central loot economy keeps a certain category of item at about the same level (same number) continuously, but not instantly. So if you destroy 10 objects X.. somewhere on that same map 10 more objects X will spawn pretty soon, to keep the numbers for that object just about stable over a time, all the time  - this is nothing to do with restarts.

BUT stuff that you carry in your backpack or your tent or on your body is NOT counted in the total of X in play - it is counted as though it has been destroyed. The X in your pocket or tent is not "in play" so another X will re spawn to replace it on the map. So, If there are 1000 cans of beans on the map I can put up tents and fill them with 1000 cans of beans, and there will STILL be 1000 cans of beans respawning on the map - so I can put up more tents, gather another 1000 cans, and there are STILL 1000 cans spawning outside to make up for what I take.. even though I now have 2000 cans in my tents.

This is what players do on the kick-servers, it is what the kick-servers are FOR. They can stock a LITERALLY endless supply of items, as much as they can be bothered to collect with no one disturbing them, - even collect a large heap of the so-called "rare"  items - and use them for instant gear-up when they go play on the pvp servers. This happens to honest players too - they end up stockpiling.

SO - If there is REALLY a general lack of beanz, it is because someone in 'Economy Central' has turned down the beans volume-control on purpose. It's that simple.

Up at Central Economy they set the "total number" of item X, and "just-about" that number will always be in play (on every server), more will turn up when some are destroyed (not instantly) but enough so that the total always stays close to the set figure.

On the forum there are topics of explanations and discussions about the economy from staff and players  - how it works, how it is exploited, hopping, theory, stockpiling,  -  going on since last year. For anyone interested.

xx 

[every few weeks i go back to the Mod to visit the zombies.. I like those zombies, they are my kind of people]

• Like 2

On 8/21/2016 at 9:27 PM, pilgrim* said:

- fraid you ARE wrong about this kp, this is not at all how persistence works - the central loot economy keeps a certain category of item at about the same level (same number) continuously, but not instantly. So if you destroy 10 objects X.. somewhere on that same map 10 more objects X will spawn pretty soon, to keep the numbers for that object just about stable over a time, all the time  - this is nothing to do with restarts.

BUT stuff that you carry in your backpack or your tent or on your body is NOT counted in the total of X in play - it is counted as though it has been destroyed. The X in your pocket or tent is not "in play" so another X will re spawn to replace it on the map. So, If there are 1000 cans of beans on the map I can put up tents and fill them with 1000 cans of beans, and there will STILL be 1000 cans of beans respawning on the map - so I can put up more tents, gather another 1000 cans, and there are STILL 1000 cans spawning outside to make up for what I take.. even though I now have 2000 cans in my tents.

This is what players do on the kick-servers, it is what the kick-servers are FOR. They can stock a LITERALLY endless supply of items, as much as they can be bothered to collect with no one disturbing them, - even collect a large heap of the so-called "rare"  items - and use them for instant gear-up when they go play on the pvp servers. This happens to honest players too - they end up stockpiling.

SO - If there is REALLY a general lack of beanz, it is because someone in 'Economy Central' has turned down the beans volume-control on purpose. It's that simple.

Up at Central Economy they set the "total number" of item X, and "just-about" that number will always be in play (on every server), more will turn up when some are destroyed (not instantly) but enough so that the total always stays close to the set figure.

On the forum there are topics of explanations and discussions about the economy from staff and players  - how it works, how it is exploited, hopping, theory, stockpiling,  -  going on since last year. For anyone interested.

xx 

[every few weeks i go back to the Mod to visit the zombies.. I like those zombies, they are my kind of people]

Aha, thanks for correcting me pilgrim*  :-) 

I shall commit F11 immediately!!! ;-)

• Like 1