Sign in to follow this  
exwoll

Decreasing respawn timer (aka penalty)

The topic of respawn penalty has been around for a couple of years. There are a lot of posts about increasing it and enable servers to handle that time. 

Some of the reasons for such ideas are:

• People acting as crazy because they have nothing to lose
  • Boring to play as a newspawn
  • Suicides
  • Lack of realism 
  • Comeback kills after lucky respawns
  • etc

But there are downsides to this:

• Geared players and survivors who don´t want to die will be really frustrated to wait a long time to respawn
  • New players could be killed by bambi campers waiting to kill any newspawn and forget the game

I think that a good solution would be to implement a Decreasing Respawn Timer. This would have an X max. amount of penalty time that will have a reduction of Y time per in-game hour that the character had survived.

I.e:

Server HollyDollyWhatALoot has a respawn penalty of 1hr, with a 10min/hr ratio of DRT 

• If a newpawn dies in that server, he will have to wait an hour to comeback 
  • If a guy that has been playing for 3 hours dies, he will have to wait 30min to respawn
  • A guy that has been playing 6+ hrs will get just a minimal timer  (like 5min or so).

This system fixes a couple of problems:

1. Newspawns will have a reason to survive, so the game will be exciting (very), and will be very realistic for the situation of a guy just thrown into the apocalypse.
  2. Newspawns will think twice before attacking an armed player, or just whoever, since if they kill them, they gonna have to wait a lot
  3. Newspawns will think twice before suiciding to get a better spawn location, since traveling to where they want will take less than trying a new spawn location.
  4. Mid geared people will still fear for death because of a considerable respawn penalty they might have
  5. Fully geared players and long time survivors will not worry about the penalty, and they already have a reason not to die (gear and location loss)

But there still remain the sniped bambi issue. The only things that I can think of right now about how to deal with this would be:

• Server side rules prohibiting to snipe bambis at spawn locations (solnechnoe lol) and enforced by active admins
  • Take out spawning locations away from big cities
  • Make a tutorial for the game where you explain new players that they have to be careful with other players and snipers
  • Enable the weight restriction to such parameters as speed and exhaustion. This way geared players will have a hard time chasing down bambis 

And that´s it :)

Edited by exwoll

respawn timer is fine.  if you die or relog on same server, almost no time, you server hop you wait a long time.

yeah suiciding is a problem, but they can easily make suicide harder to do without messing with the timer.

How? 

Attacking an armed player is a form of suicide. They cannot limit that. The only way is with longer respawn times.

At least as an option for private servers. Public servers are like a kids playground anyway, so nothing will help those lol

Once the bugs are removed, the timer is nothing compared to how long it would take you to cross the map.

Its not the spawn timer, as much as it is the spawn # of points.

Thats why suicides are the best way to travel the map.

Once suicides are removed your forced to run the map like we where suppose to. Eventually suicides will come with a large counter to be able to do it again. Which i am fine with.

When i mod, i want to change the # of spawn locations, Distance in which fresh spawns can be hit from, at starting locations. Safety bubble of 1000m so they have a chance to get away w/ 15secs running invul outside the 1000m radius.

Also jumping hive to hive, i want to put in a spawn timer of 10 minutes. So private servers can monitor people spawning in behind them, or just going for heli crash sites.

This one would be hard to do, given the complex nature in which it would have to read the character last log off time from one hive to the other hive.

Possible hud countdown? its do able.

On 8/15/2016 at 6:30 PM, exwoll said:

The topic of respawn penalty has been around for a couple of years. There are a lot of posts about increasing it and enable servers to handle that time. 

Some of the reasons for such ideas are:

• People acting as crazy because they have nothing to lose
  • Boring to play as a newspawn
  • Suicides
  • Lack of realism 
  • Comeback kills after lucky respawns
  • etc

But there are downsides to this:

• Geared players and survivors who don´t want to die will be really frustrated to wait a long time to respawn
  • New players could be killed by bambi campers waiting to kill any newspawn and forget the game

I think that a good solution would be to implement a Decreasing Respawn Timer. This would have an X max. amount of penalty time that will have a reduction of Y time per in-game hour that the character had survived.

I.e:

Server HollyDollyWhatALoot has a respawn penalty of 1hr, with a 10min/hr ratio of DRT 

• If a newpawn dies in that server, he will have to wait an hour to comeback 
  • If a guy that has been playing for 3 hours dies, he will have to wait 30min to respawn
  • A guy that has been playing 6+ hrs will get just a minimal timer  (like 5min or so).

This system fixes a couple of problems:

1. Newspawns will have a reason to survive, so the game will be exciting (very), and will be very realistic for the situation of a guy just thrown into the apocalypse.
  2. Newspawns will think twice before attacking an armed player, or just whoever, since if they kill them, they gonna have to wait a lot
  3. Newspawns will think twice before suiciding to get a better spawn location, since traveling to where they want will take less than trying a new spawn location.
  4. Mid geared people will still fear for death because of a considerable respawn penalty they might have
  5. Fully geared players and long time survivors will not worry about the penalty, and they already have a reason not to die (gear and location loss)

But there still remain the sniped bambi issue. The only things that I can think of right now about how to deal with this would be:

• Server side rules prohibiting to snipe bambis at spawn locations (solnechnoe lol) and enforced by active admins
  • Take out spawning locations away from big cities
  • Make a tutorial for the game where you explain new players that they have to be careful with other players and snipers
  • Enable the weight restriction to such parameters as speed and exhaustion. This way geared players will have a hard time chasing down bambis 

And that´s it :)

I can only see this pissing people off, probably not worth it. At most, I'd have a 5 minute respawn timer, and that's AT MOST. 

10 hours ago, billnyetherussianpie said:

I can only see this pissing people off, probably not worth it. At most, I'd have a 5 minute respawn timer, and that's AT MOST. 

It's too small. Still worth to suicide in any possible way. 

In pubs Its probably not worth, since there are only kids and casual pvp guys playing. But in private servers, where you have the conditions upfront, there will be a lot of players willing to play with this.

You want consumers to be playing the game, not staring at a timer.

Perhaps in a mod. But not for vanilla.

• Like 1

I think that we should think of a way to make people want to not die in a more natural way rater than  a timer

Edited by Saylor Twift
  • Like 1

7 Days to Die has a system where if you die your maximum health is decreased. With soft skills, perhaps death could mean players suffer a skill reduction. Obviously when you die all your skills will probably be reset to 0, but maybe if you die again your skills should be decreased even further - meaning players are unlikely to want to keep dying since it'll just make the game harder and harder. This means that even players who have only spawned 10 minutes ago will want to stay alive, rather than just saying "fuck it" and letting themselves get shot because all they have is a child's backpack and a farming hoe. There should be a cap, of course, it'd be stupid if you died 10 times in a row and then couldn't do anything because your skills are so low - and it would make geared players on the coast killing freshspawns more of a problem - but it would make death more impactful than "you died, now wait an hour or join a different server."

4 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

7 Days to Die has a system where if you die your maximum health is decreased. With soft skills, perhaps death could mean players suffer a skill reduction. Obviously when you die all your skills will probably be reset to 0, but maybe if you die again your skills should be decreased even further - meaning players are unlikely to want to keep dying since it'll just make the game harder and harder. This means that even players who have only spawned 10 minutes ago will want to stay alive, rather than just saying "fuck it" and letting themselves get shot because all they have is a child's backpack and a farming hoe. There should be a cap, of course, it'd be stupid if you died 10 times in a row and then couldn't do anything because your skills are so low - and it would make geared players on the coast killing freshspawns more of a problem - but it would make death more impactful than "you died, now wait an hour or join a different server."

I've always favored a debuff penalty to run speed.

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

Well when there's stamina I expect travelling on foot will become more difficult - or at least slower. Certainly you won't be sprinting everywhere. But yeah, a debuff to stamina or perhaps movement speed (or both) would be good.

As a side note, I think players should spawn in a worse condition. We should still have bandages, a flare, whatever, but our clothes should be ruined and we should be soaking. First port of call should be finding dry clothes and warming up if necessary. So many items of clothing go unused because the clothes we spawn with are simply better. Spawn with ruined clothes, and people are more likely to want to find replacements as soon as they can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

6 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

Yep those are also a great way to make people want to stay alive, but are more complicated to achieve, that's why I suggested the eziest way for devs or servers to achieve that. 

There also can be a "spawn zoning" where you spawn in a worst scenario every time you die. This could be depending on your death location (pushing you every time further and further from that place, last place being some island on the other side of the map lol), or in looting areas, or in areas full of kids where all the suicide maniacs go (a kind of spawning hell lol). But they're more complicated to achieve.

Edited by exwoll
  • Like 1

Maybe just decrease starting calories/hydration/blood progressively more with frequent deaths. If you're dying more once in any given hour then you're clearly not trying to stay alive.

Edited by ebrim
  • Like 1

Spawns are too long as is.

I want to have fun.

Some of you guys are insane.

On 8/21/2016 at 4:52 AM, serelaw said:

Spawns are too long as is.

I want to have fun.

Some of you guys are insane.

You can have it playing in public servers. Let other people have more fun experiencing extreme adrenaline.