Killawife

incapaciatation and item handling ×

I was watching a stream of Arma 3 King of the hill and noticed they have a much better system for player death than current dayz. If a player is downed, he doesnt die but is incapaciteted, staying thus for an unlimited time(or so it seemed) so his teammates could get to him and revive him. The enemy could still steal his gear and make loud farting noises over his corpse like usual but the idea of having a chance to actually live on even when you get shot realy appeals to me. Its a bit sad in this game as once you go unconcious there is very little chance that you will survive. Even if you wake up your usually just gunned down right away. Saving someone that yuo find randomly could also make for interesting encounters.

Before the new UI the system for doing things was simple, you chose the item, chose what you wanted to do and it did it, well most of the times. Now you choose the item and when you are about to choose what action to take, the dropdown menu dissappears. You choose it again and it dissappears, and again, and again. Sometimes it works right away. This is very annoying and needs some tweaking. It happens with most items so its not related to only a few.

• Like 1

God, no. Incapacitation from King of the Hill? Take a 120mm round to the forehead, well, no matter, as long as you're patient you cannot die. That's not a "better system for player death" ("Squad" does similar except they have a bleed-out timer). Not only from realism but gameplay as well. If friends can revive you after suffering what should be fatal wounds there will be all sorts of ridiculous and unfair tactics involved, ie: send one guy to drop most of his gear and rush around like an imbecile to find out where that sneaky solo player is hiding, doesn't matter if he dies because you can just get him up later.

This is gonna sound strange, but if you get shot and killed, you should die.

More advanced incapacitation mechanics? Not against that, but that's not what was suggested here.

• Like 4

I'm with -Gews- on the revival. What's the point of me killing you if your friends or random strangers can bring you back after I turned you into Swiss cheese. 

8 hours ago, -Gews- said:

God, no. Incapacitation from King of the Hill? Take a 120mm round to the forehead, well, no matter, as long as you're patient you cannot die. That's not a "better system for player death" ("Squad" does similar except they have a bleed-out timer). Not only from realism but gameplay as well. If friends can revive you after suffering what should be fatal wounds there will be all sorts of ridiculous and unfair tactics involved, ie: send one guy to drop most of his gear and rush around like an imbecile to find out where that sneaky solo player is hiding, doesn't matter if he dies because you can just get him up later.

More advanced incapacitation mechanics? Not against that, but that's not what was suggested here.

I completely agree, I think a realistic incapacitation system would be great for this game. 

We can start by making people wearing helmets immune to knocking out with bare hands. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

We can start by making people wearing helmets immune to knocking out with bare hands. 

Well, if they're not wearing an open faced helmet, you can still punch someone in the jaw and knock them the fuck out.

13 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Weel you are making quite a few good points so I won't argue with you. I personally don't use such tactics and didn't think that people would care enough to do so. I guess I am wrong. I usually play alone and dont have anyone to revive me but at those times where I've played with someone else and they have been downed there have never been a chance to revive them which sucks. The unconcious period is simply to short.

4 hours ago, billnyetherussianpie said:

Well, if they're not wearing an open faced helmet, you can still punch someone in the jaw and knock them the fuck out.

Yea, should have been more specific. 

16 hours ago, Killawife said:

Weel you are making quite a few good points so I won't argue with you. I personally don't use such tactics and didn't think that people would care enough to do so. I guess I am wrong. I usually play alone and dont have anyone to revive me but at those times where I've played with someone else and they have been downed there have never been a chance to revive them which sucks. The unconcious period is simply to short.

The unconscious period depends on many different variables. Were they low blood? Were they starving? Ect. 

I know that. i watch Wobo videos too. Its still to damn short when you get shot.

I never been shot myself, but I'm guessing gunshot wounds without professional help are rather fatal more so without any help. And you don't get to lie around for hours waiting for deus ex machina rescue. 

Also I'm off for holidays in Phantom Zone, got councils to disband, World Engines to release and people to find, Zod signing off. 

Edited by General Zod

On 8/12/2016 at 11:07 AM, Killawife said:

King of the Hill, Squad, and similar games are large-scale, team-based combat around objectives, both games have respawns and loadouts. The personal stakes aren't as high. You shoot someone, they don't lose anything except points on the scoreboard. Each team has their own medics and they are roughly evenly matched. Doesn't really matter if the guy you shot is revived by a medic or has to respawn, he will be returning in a couple minutes either way, your score is still +1, and there are 30 other faceless enemies to worry about. Also, in the case of KOTH they are not going for realism. This is a mission in which you can purchase attack helicopters and tanks, multiple "perks", silly loadouts, etc. If in DayZ a 'dead' guy gets up, that's a much bigger deal.

The unconscious period is debatable but it goes back to the damage system. Often a player is either switched on or off. If there is more advanced mechanics in future maybe you have more time to get to your friend and stabilize him before he dies. However, it's not appropriate to survive if someone just blew your lungs out with a sniper rifle.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2016 at 8:22 AM, Killawife said:

I know that. i watch Wobo videos too. Its still to damn short when you get shot.

Who is Wobo?

2 hours ago, billnyetherussianpie said:

Who is Wobo?

A nobody, thats who

On 14.8.2016 at 5:47 PM, billnyetherussianpie said:

Who is Wobo?

He's is analysing DayZ mechanics on YouTube and did a really good job. 

Right now I think there is the opportunity to get your mate back from unconscious state by injecting epinephrine. 

A real good addition would be if you can drag your mate's body out of the line of fire. Some ArmA 3 mods have this feature implemented. And there you can try to get him back to life. And on gamedesign thoughts I think it would be great if there would be a small chance to get your mate back to life with a defibrillator. I know it wouldn't be realistic but hey... it's a game and soooo many things aren't realistic because of that.

1 hour ago, imunone said:

He's is analysing DayZ mechanics on YouTube and did a really good job. 

Right now I think there is the opportunity to get your mate back from unconscious state by injecting epinephrine. 

A real good addition would be if you can drag your mate's body out of the line of fire. Some ArmA 3 mods have this feature implemented. And there you can try to get him back to life. And on gamedesign thoughts I think it would be great if there would be a small chance to get your mate back to life with a defibrillator. I know it wouldn't be realistic but hey... it's a game and soooo many things aren't realistic because of that.

I doubt that they'll add the defibrillator thing, they're going for realism and authenticity. All the systems in the game will be tinkered with eventually, making them more realistic, most-likely. And to a degree, you can make defibrillators do that realistically. It just depends on how the person died. If they overheated, or froze to death, it's realistic. If they got hit in the chest with blunt damage too hard, thus stopping their heart, it's realistic. Dragging and carrying people will be added for sure, it would be utterly retarded for them not to add it. But, those features are probably not at the top of their list of things to do. So, I wouldn't expect anything until the "New player controller" comes out, or whatever.

I hope they´ll find a good balance between realism and gamedesign. I don´t expect anything in this direction till beta. There is a medical system and its working for the most of the time. I think they will add and finetune to those mechanics if anything else (playercontroller, Helicopter, basebuilding, predators etc) is implemented.