SMoss

Enfusion Q&A with Lead Engine Programmer Filip Doksanský

We're ready again for a new round of Q&A where this time around, we'll be featuring our Lead Engine Programmer Filip Doksanský! The main focus on this Q&A session will be the Enfusion Engine and what it means for DayZ as well as future development.

If you decide to send in your questions via our Twitter account, please remember to use the hashtag #EnfusionDZ so that it'll be easier to round up all the questions and compile a list. The closing date for sending in your questions will be on August 18.

• Like 6

Greetings, Filip!

Thank you for taking time to answer questions!

I saw the new grass on Trello and it looks great!

If possible, can you tell us about upcoming improvements to grass and bushes that will allow for cover regardless of a persons rendering distance?

I would love to see the cities completely choked with infected!

Will Enfusion be robust enough to handle high numbers of infected in dense urban areas and do you have a goal in mind for the number of infected in a city like Cherno?

Thanks again!

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣

What are the most common myths/misunderstandings/misapprehensions people have about enfusion? (things many people claim but that are actually wrong)

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions!  I have two:

As many modders may want to ramp up the quantities of items and vehicles above what is available in the "vanilla" games, do you take into account modding when optimizing Enfusion's performance?

What major milestones (Player controller, animation system, etc.) are left to be met before you can say that Enfusion has been fully implemented in DayZ Standalone?

Edited by plasteek

Hi Filip,

Q1: Are there plans for implementation of some third party middleware into Enfusion (besides Bullet physics), or do you prefer in house solutions?

Q2: What Enfusion feature are you most proud of?

Hi guys, thanks for the opportunity again:

quick questions:

• what are some projected short- and what are some long-term goals for Enfusion Engine (be as general or specific as you want)?
  • would you consider one out of these possibilities as at least as "high hanging fruits": dynamic(-ally spreading) fire, running water/rivers, voxel-esque caves/underground structures...?
  • We've seen so far the distribution of the new audio-module to both branches, DayZ and ARMA. What ideas do you have regarding a further and tighter symbiosis between Enfusion and Real Virtuality 4? 
Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Good morning, and thank you for the opportunity to learn more about the future of DayZ.

Firstly, how much "headspace" are you planning on leaving for modding/post 1.0 design additions; 20%, 50%, perhaps?  Will the game be just barely capable of meeting the release goals, or will it have plenty of room to grow?

Trains:  Chernarus has lots of them, and the tracks go around 3/4 of the map.  Will they ever be operable?  Is the engine even set up in a way that would allow for the switching of tracks and loading large items into the boxcars?  Similarly, will the portside gantry cranes ever be usable; perhaps for loading shipping containers onto a flatbed truck?

Modifying the existing environment and structures:  Along with barricading the existing buildings, what kind of ways will players have to leave their mark on the map?  For instance, will spray paint ever be used for such obvious purposes as leaving messages for travelers, or marking-out turf?  If fences, picnic tables and roadway signs will eventually be destructible, will there be any way to move them more subtly, such as swapping road signs to disorient other players, or moving the tables to an ad-hoc campsite?

Vehicles, Hauling, Towing and Recovery:  Will there be any considerations made for more complex vehicle interactions?  Would it ever be possible to attach a chain to the back of a vehicle, and affix it to other movable objects?  Would a daisy-chain of dumpsters and tables dragging behind a vehicle just have too much demand on the system to be possible?

Edited by emuthreat

Greetings Filip,

I am mainly interested in the visual aspects and the so called visual parity of old and new renderer pipeline:

1) Can you comment on the impression that in the new renderer, trees and bushes seem to change their level of detail model significantly earlier than in .59? For me trees and bushes look very low res, even on max settings, starting from maybe 300 m out

2) Can you tell us some info if you plan to improve on the texture flickering and LOD switching? Will LOD textures be redone, especially for buildings?

3) On a scale from 1 to 10, how far do you think is the enfusion engine, with 10 being completion?

Thanks, and cheers!

1.) will the enfusion engine allow rivers and water falls etc ?

2.) will enfusion engine add finally a proper god looking lod system for the outer terrain ?

3.) will enfusion engine support things like craters, trenches, caves etc ?

• Like 1

Hi,

1). With appearance shadows from dynamic lights, indoors lighting will be reworked?
For example in buildings without windows, which does not get light from the sun, will be completely dark and without a flashlight it will be difficult to navigate.

2). In a ARMA series, the idea of underground facilities was rejected due to problems of navigation AI in them and on them.
With implementation of navmesh technology in enfusion engine, problems with AI navigation in underground structures should be solved? Will be underground structures implemented?
For example like in VBS >

• Like 2

Q&A was filmed on Friday. We are working it right now. Stay tuned!

• Like 8

On 17.10.2016 at 0:51 PM, Baty Alquawen said:

Q&A was filmed on Friday. We are working it right now. Stay tuned!

hej...soo...what's the status? eta before the weekend or more like around the time of the upcoming SR?

• Like 1

Still editing. I don't want to promise any date now.  But it will be great, trust me :)

• Like 2

Not today or on weekend. Sorry guys. We have lot of work with it because We want make it better than before :). 

• Like 4

Is it whole Q&A, will there be another part? Status on PBR rendering needs to be answered.

Hmmm...a bit underwhelmed, to be honest.

I was thinking "they" would use this dev blog video to maybe bump up the hype a bit more. I am left with no real impression as to just how much more there is to do to fully implement the new architecture.

Is it just me...or did this content seem much too light in the "big picture" department and also quite lacking in general overview? This was quite a long while in the making and if I was to grade the effort from the comfort of my bubble of ignorance I would give them a C-.

I respect the effort, though...so I will keep my patience in my hip pocket for now...but I get the same "that's it??"  feeling with this video as I do with the SRs....sorry.

• Like 1

I have to say, it´s realy good! Made very professional, the answers are very detailed. And @philbur, there are a lot of other questions here in this forum or at twitter, which maybe will get answered in upcoming parts of this Q&A. But I have to say I like it a lot how its produced, with this cutscenes out of your office, gamescenes etc. I´m excited for part two ;)

edit: Maybe it would be nice to edit the first post of this thread and put the vid on top - and maybe sum it up in textform.

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka