Sign in to follow this  
Dayzo

Joining Vanilla servers versus joining modified servers

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS FOR ARMA 2 DAYZ MOD, NOT ARMA3 OR STANDALONE

EDIT :
The text in red below was a functioning workaround to a problem I was having when trying to join Vanilla servers, but it caused problems when trying to join Modified, Non-Vanilla servers as outlined in orange. It is incorrect information - I did not need to copy files from Arma2 to OA, despite this being all over the internet as a solution to the connection problems I was having. My own solution, until the problem is fixed in DayZ Launcher, is to use a BAT file which I've posted below.

ORIGINAL POST :
Can anyone shed some light on the current situation regarding connecting to Vanilla v187 servers versus the servers running v187 which have modified buildings/vehicles/loot. In my experience Vanilla servers (Eg. Europa & Terminus) require that the Arma2 'Addons' folder is copied to OA, whilst the modified servers (Eg. Dystopia, Noobs Playground, ReunionZ) will not load the game with the Addons folder copied to OA. I could rename the Addons folder depending on what server I want to play, but each time I do that, the modified servers transport me to a spawn point (with all my gear).

Is this true for everyone? What is the reason this is happening (ie. whose fault is it)? Is someone fixing it?

Edited by DayZo
Clarification about (mis)information

Hello, you should not copy anything from Arma 2 to Arma 2 OA. To join vanilla DayZ Mod servers just start Arma 2: DayZ Mod in Steam. For now DayZ Launcher doesn't support vanilla DayZ Mod servers and this will likely be fixed soon. If you have problems with your add-ons I would verify the game files in Steam of both Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA and them start them both separately. To join other servers use DayZ Launcher.

Edited by vinyljunkie

Thanks.

I don't know what the problem is, but Vanilla servers seem to need to be started in a different way from modified servers.
DayZ Launcher can still start servers that are running a modified v187, but fails to connect when you try to play on a Vanilla v187 server.
Until this is fixed, I am using the bat file below to join my favourite servers.

@echo off
title DayZ Launcher
mode con: cols=55 lines=20

:: Steam
   set _STEAMPATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
:: Arma 2
   set _ARMA2PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2
:: Operation Arrowhead
   set _ARMA2OAPATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead

:: Add additional Mods on each server line EG. _MODS=@Overwatch;@epoch;

:: Start Steam if not already running
   tasklist /nh /fi "imagename eq steam.exe" | find /i "steam.exe" > NUL
   if %ERRORLEVEL% ==0 goto Menu
   echo.
   echo LOADING AND CONNECTING TO STEAM
   echo.
   start "" "%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -silent
   Timeout 20 /nobreak

:Menu

cls
echo.
echo Select a Server:
echo ================
echo.
echo 1) ReunionZ          Modified
echo 2) Europa            Vanilla
echo 3) Terminus          Vanilla
echo 4) Noobs Playground  Modified
echo 5) Dystopia          Modified
echo.
echo.
set /p web=Type Option 1-5: 

if "%web%"=="1" set IP=85.114.130.102  & set PORT=2302 & set _MODS=
if "%web%"=="2" set IP=31.15.40.216    & set PORT=2302 & set _MODS=   & goto AppLaunch
if "%web%"=="3" set IP=136.243.149.148 & set PORT=5302 & set _MODS=   & goto AppLaunch
if "%web%"=="4" set IP=149.202.89.101  & set PORT=2402 & set _MODS=
if "%web%"=="5" set IP=149.202.88.138  & set PORT=2337 & set _MODS=

:LoadOA

start "" "%_ARMA2OAPATH%\ArmA2OA_BE.exe" 0 0 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;expansion;ca;%_ARMA2OAPATH%;@Dayz;%_MODS%" -noSplash -nopause -skipintro -noFilePatching -world=empty -connect=%IP% -port=%PORT%

echo.
echo Loading MODIFIED SERVER...
Timeout 3 > nul
exit

:AppLaunch

start "" "%_STEAMPATH%\steam.exe" -silent -applaunch 224580 "-mod=%_ARMA2PATH%;expansion;ca;%_ARMA20APATH%;@Dayz;%_MODS%" -nosplash -nopause -skipintro -noFilePatching -world=empty -connect=%IP% -port=%PORT%

echo Loading VANILLA SERVER...
Timeout 3 > nul
exit

Just to clarify for anyone else trying to troubleshoot their own 'session lost' problems, once I understood what was going on, and got the two different startup methods correct, I did not need to copy/merge the 'Addons' from Arma2 to OA. In fact, doing so just confounded the difficulties I was having. Also, I wasted a lot of time and had a lot of frustration because I thought it was my installation (Eg. Steam does not verify my Arma game cache properly) even though there is nothing wrong with it. Thirdly, there is no difference between the Steam version of DayZ v187 and the DayZ Launcher version of v187 - they are both identical, so you can use either program to download/verify your DayZ files. Fourthly, if you add parameters to DayZ Launcher, you need to restart it for them to take effect. Be careful of spending time trying to make DayZ Launcher work with Vanilla servers just by adding parameters - I tried for a long time, but I think the real problem is that it does not use the steam 'applaunch' method that the Vanilla v187 requires.

Edited by Dayzo

Most vanilla DayZ Mod servers decided to switch app id to Arma 2: DayZ Mod instead of Arma 2 OA since this is our own dedicated launcher on Steam. Doing so solves a lot of issues with joining our servers. Also there won't be a real need for external launchers to play vanilla DayZ Mod. And when the mod gets updated ppl can play the very same day as the app will auto-update. We are talking to the devs of DayZ Launcher to fix the session lost error. Just like we did, he probably needs to switch app id's. 

> Also there won't be a real need for external launchers to play vanilla DayZ Mod

Personally I find the in-game browser woefully inadequate, and much prefer to use a launcher. Even a bat file is better than using the in-game browser.

> We are talking to the devs of DayZ Launcher to fix the session lost error. Just like we did, he probably needs to switch app id's.

Not 'switch'; but 'add'. The devs will need to try to query which app the server wants the player to initiate, assuming that most other servers are going to continue to use the Arma2OA app id.

So, was there a thread where all the vanilla server admins got together and decided to break Dayz Launcher and confuse everyone? :P
It's my impression that a lot of people think that their installation is broken or that it's DayZ Launcher's fault.

Edited by Dayzo