Sign in to follow this  
Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Status Report - 19 July 2016

Afternoon Survivors,

This week our Creative Director gives a status update on where we are with our hotfixes, as well as our .61 milestone goals, and Viktor our Lead Animator talks a bit about the new animation system.

Contents This Week

Dev Update/Hicks

Dev Update/Viktor

Dev Update/Hicks

Greetings Survivors,

Today we're going to take a quick look at the status of hotfixes for Stable branch, and talk a bit about where we are with development of the .61 milestone goals.

- Character Gear Loss (On reconnect): Hotfixed to Stable
- Tent Lifetime Refresh: Hotfixed to Stable
- Tent Position/Orientation: Hotfixed to Stable
- Vehicle Position Orientation: In Test
- Animation/Sync Issues: In Test

0.61 Milestone Goals:

Server Login Queue:

Technology supporting this has been merged in and is in test with internal QA. UI Element notifies user of position in queue. As of the current status report, there are only minor bugs remaining. Will need further QA to be certain - and of course, plenty of experimental testing.

Merge of New Audio Technology from Arma 3 Eden Update

Technology successfully merged into DayZ branch. Configuration testing on existing audio configs under way.

Update of Weapon Sounds for New Audio Technology

Nine weapons ready, work continues on remaining firearms. Youtube channel dev log preview upcoming (Not of the full list, as some still require a little polish)!

SKS
Sporter
Trumpet
Repeater
AKM
AUG
FAL
SVD
MP5K

Dynamic Spawning of Infected

Technology implemented into main internal branch. Basic area configuration is set up. Restock timer current disabled for testing. Programmers currently working on per-player configuration support.

Predators (Wolves)

Predator AI Sync working properly in offline mode, synchronization issues are present in network play. Triage is currently isolating these issues to legacy animation system. Programming, design, and animation teams are focused on investigating risk and cost effectiveness of fixing legacy animation sync issues for predators, or focusing on pushing animals operating with proper support on new animation system.

- Brian Hicks / Creative Director

Back to Contents

Dev Update/Viktor

In recent days and weeks there were many discussions about the new player controller where we talked about camera, aiming, IK, combat, controls, and other related features. Although it is coming together quite nicely we are still missing some major things like climbing ladders or overcoming obstacles. On the other hand there is now much more of wounded character. While new features are being added we are polishing the existing ones in the player graph and the animations itself are being adjusted less or more. Many items have been moved from the graph to a new layer of config which gives us a great way to quickly iterate changes in the character behavior and most importantly the animation graph doesn't have to solve unnecessary logic like in the old animation system.

Also we are finishing first phase of extended animation sets for guns. At the moment almost all of the existing firearms have chambering animation and updated magazine reloads. At the same time we have started working on another pass by adding jamming/unjamming anims. There will be one for each gun. Each animation is divided into three parts with in, loop and out to give our designers better control over unjamming process. I think it will be a great addition and interesting game mechanic.

- Viktor Kostik / Lead Animator

• Like 12

Thanks for hard work devs/all!

I was hoping we might see .61 before the next status report but judging by the blockers remaining I now believe that may be overly optimistic.

Good luck!

• Like 5

Very nice! Really looking forward to hearing the new sounds!

Also, with all the new animations for reloading, chambering AND unjamming weapons, this will be fantastic.

Keep it up fellas! Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odin_lowe said:

Very nice! Really looking forward to hearing the new sounds!

Also, with all the new animations for reloading, chambering AND unjamming weapons, this will be fantastic.

Keep it up fellas! Cheers!

Just an FYI - New animations won't come until new animation system / player controller.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info!

2 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

there is now much more of wounded character.

Does that mean new limping/wounded animations or new character damage system maybe?

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) I see the status report says "- Vehicle Position Orientation: In Test" But nothing is stated about vehicle persistence. Does it include vehicle persistence? I have tested 1 off road, 2 buses, and 1 sedan and none have persisted. Is vehicle persistence being worked on or has it been pushed back? Thanks for the great work!

1 minute ago, Kronons said:

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) I see the status report says "- Vehicle Position Orientation: In Test" But nothing is stated about vehicle persistence. Does it include vehicle persistence? I have tested 1 off road, 2 buses, and 1 sedan and none have persisted. Is vehicle persistence being worked on or has it been pushed back? Thanks for the great work!

Vehicle persistence is fine.

Vehicle position/orientation saving is the issue.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

@Hicks_206 (DayZ) Thank you for the clarification! I understand the issue now. Looking forward to the hotfix patch. :)

Looking forward to the new sound engine.

Hey maybe many issues will solve themselves :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Just an FYI - New animations won't come until new animation system / player controller.

No worries, I knew it wasn't gonna hit .61 but I was happy with the info, and think it's gonna be pretty amazing non-the-less, no matter when we get the new animations/player controller. 

• Like 1

Good job guys! Can't wait to hear new audio system.

Two questions: Now, when you've hotfixed tents, how long can mil. tent stay on a server without getting refreshed, and do I have to re-pitch it or just simply move item inside tent like before? Also, are cars saved now in same place after server restart? I don't mind if they rotate a bit, I am just curious do they stay in same place?

3 hours ago, Just Caused said:

Two questions: Now, when you've hotfixed tents, how long can mil. tent stay on a server without getting refreshed, and do I have to re-pitch it or just simply move item inside tent like before? Also, are cars saved now in same place after server restart? I don't mind if they rotate a bit, I am just curious do they stay in same place?

I also wonder that. Persistance is okay but position/orientation is not. That means vehicles stay where they are now ??

Thanks a lot for the update. Can you say what the cause of the gear wiping was? And can we swap handguards and attach things to them with impunity now? 

Edited by Mookie (original)

6 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

Thanks a lot for the update. Can you say what the cause of the gear wiping was? And can we swap handguards and attach things to them with impunity now? 

So far on both exp and stable branches I've wanted to test this again, but never found a bipod. Either it's now uber rare, or they removed it cause it was causing the lost gear bug.

I have multiple weapons with RIS grips and attached flashlights without any problems or gear loss. Still on the lookout for a bipod.

how long did tripwire traps with granate and mines are staying before despawn?

Edited by wasnu

1 hour ago, wasnu said:

how long did tripwire traps with granate and mines are staying before despawn?

Ah good question i wondered how long they last too. Tripwire and mines.

22 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

So does this mean vehicles don't disappear anymore as they have been throughout the entire stable build of .60?

Or is the position/orientation issue the reason the vehicles do disappear? 

14 hours ago, Just Caused said:

10 hours ago, BAHADIR said:

I also wonder that. Persistance is okay but position/orientation is not. That means vehicles stay where they are now ??

23 minutes ago, thebaddestass said:

So does this mean vehicles don't disappear anymore as they have been throughout the entire stable build of .60?

Or is the position/orientation issue the reason the vehicles do disappear? 

I think I can help clarify. Basically the issue is not with vehicle persistence. Vehicles will persist through server restarts. What is causing the issue is vehicle location and orientation. It means the last vehicle coordinates are not working as intended. So although the car did persist it is not in the same location and not in the same orientation it was last left off. This is how I interpreted Hicks response when he clarified for me. I am not sure if the latest hotfix patch today is suppose to fixed the issue. But all we can do is test and see if it works.

Edit: Latest patch most likely has no fix for vehicles. Just saw this "Small Stable branch update incoming (fix for missing warning/error messages). "

Edited by Kronons
  • Like 3

On 7/19/2016 at 5:32 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

-snip-

Restock timer current disabled for testing. -snip-

Will we see the restock timer turned on in initial public experimental release of .61?

6 hours ago, Kronons said:

Edit: Latest patch most likely has no fix for vehicles. Just saw this "Small Stable branch update incoming (fix for missing warning/error messages). "

Yup that i did notice today too. Showed up losing connection in the server messages, and red on the client.

Glad that's working again.

@Hicks, did you guys by chance have a chance to bring back in the bi pods?? i asked geez, in bug tracker waiting for a response from someone on the issue.

Like always keep on good work fellas !

Keep On playin!

Icanfish

8 hours ago, sneakydude said:

@Hicks, did you guys by chance have a chance to bring back in the bi pods?? i asked geez, in bug tracker waiting for a response from someone on the issue.

I know people are having issues with the Bipods and inventory missing upon relog.. I have had a Bipod on my M4 for almost 10 logins and it only wipes my hotbar. My inventory is still intact. I have not tried to remove anything from the gun and it is loaded down with a scope, flashlight, RiS handguard , Cant remember the buttstock I have or the scope but its red dot.. Before I painted I removed everything then reattached after. Ive not had any issue other than my hotbar being reset after each login. The only issue Ive had has been vehicle related.

I has one issue day before yesterday. I went to a heli crash site and found an ammo box full of stanag rounds. I mean completely full.. I haven't seen an ammo box in forever and I recall reading on here someone else making that comment. I went into a nearby building for cover and to sort through inventory. I put one double clip on the ground to reload go to pick up the clip and it disappeared from the local screen. I had to run quite a distance and back to retrieve it...

Edited by Masprotech
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kronons said:

I think I can help clarify. Basically the issue is not with vehicle persistence. Vehicles will persist through server restarts. What is causing the issue is vehicle location and orientation. It means the last vehicle coordinates are not working as intended. So although the car did persist it is not in the same location and not in the same orientation it was last left off. This is how I interpreted Hicks response when he clarified for me. I am not sure if the latest hotfix patch today is suppose to fixed the issue. But all we can do is test and see if it works.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense.  They can't stay in their same position so they "respawn" in another city possibly even on the other side of the map.

4 hours ago, thebaddestass said:

Ok, thanks, that makes sense.  They can't stay in their same position so they "respawn" in another city possibly even on the other side of the map.

Glad it made sense. More or less that is probably what is happening. I have noticed the vehicles position work for the first server restart. But any server resets after the first one the vehicle disappears.