gosephness

What Should I Upgrade to Get Rid of Stuttering/Lag and Add Graphics

I currently have:

AMD FX 6300 (Overclocked to 4.1ghz)

Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz (8gb installed but it says 4gb hardware reserved)

Sapphire Radeon R9 270x 4gb oc Dual-x

Western Digital blue 1tb

I have heard that an SSD could fix my problem. Is this true?

The processor.

The game runs far better on intel.

Failing that wait until the game is better optimised as there are still lag spikes and stutters for 90% of the player base.

• Like 2

I second the recommendation for an Intel CPU. I wouldn't suggest buying anything less powerful than the i5-4690k at this point. Within another year or two that CPU, despite its great performance for the price, will begin to reveal some weakness. I'm already starting to see it in the newest games like The Division or Fallout 4 for example. All 4 cores stay pretty loaded. That said, mine is overclocked to 4.5ghz on an AIO liquid cooler and it is more than adequate for this game.

Your GPU should be just fine to run the game on overall medium settings, but it was in the higher end of mid-range when it was new and that was quite a few years ago.

An SSD could absolutely help a bit in reducing the length of time that the lag spikes happen but nothing that I know of will eliminate them. I have an SSD and when I get lag spikes that are related to something loading, they are over in 1 or 2 seconds at most and then everything becomes smooth again. If you get one big enough for a few games and your OS, you will notice a difference in everything you do. I recommend the Crucial 256GB personally for price to performance if you aren't looking to remove all HDDs from your system entirely. But I might be a touch biased on this one. I think that every PC should have an SDD, gamers even more so, even if they aren't having a particular performance issue that they are trying to squash.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2016 at 2:53 AM, ColdAtrophy said:

An SSD could absolutely help a bit in reducing the length of time that the lag spikes happen but nothing that I know of will eliminate them. I have an SSD and when I get lag spikes that are related to something loading, they are over in 1 or 2 seconds at most and then everything becomes smooth again. If you get one big enough for a few games and your OS, you will notice a difference in everything you do. I recommend the Crucial 256GB personally for price to performance if you aren't looking to remove all HDDs from your system entirely. But I might be a touch biased on this one. I think that every PC should have an SDD, gamers even more so, even if they aren't having a particular performance issue that they are trying to squash.

Definitely this... The drives are affordable right now but 256 is as small as I would go. Allows you to put a few games on and Windows while not needing to be particularly fussy. You can also then just keep your 1TB for storage of videos, music... whatever. I concur with the statements about the intel i5 4690K- I have a 4670k on my secondary rig and it was fine too even with no overclock... But I don't think they even sell them anymore. 

But then you're getting a new mobo as well... maybe new RAM as well? (DDR2 / DDR3 difference possibly? Not sure what mobo you have now). By the time you're done it's a new computer.

I think the best single step fix for you right now would be the SSD. It will greatly reduce load times etc- but won't obviously resolve the issue as completely as starting from scratch. 

15 minutes ago, eno said:

Definitely this... The drives are affordable right now but 256 is as small as I would go. Allows you to put a few games on and Windows while not needing to be particularly fussy. You can also then just keep your 1TB for storage of videos, music... whatever. I concur with the statements about the intel i5 4690K- I have a 4670k on my secondary rig and it was fine too even with no overclock... But I don't think they even sell them anymore. 

But then you're getting a new mobo as well... maybe new RAM as well? (DDR2 / DDR3 difference possibly? Not sure what mobo you have now). By the time you're done it's a new computer.

I think the best single step fix for you right now would be the SSD. It will greatly reduce load times etc- but won't obviously resolve the issue as completely as starting from scratch. 

A ssd wont help with in game performance AT ALL...It will help games load much faster and windows itself will run a lot quicker and smoother, but will not increase fps or general performance even a tiny bit. Your graphics card (GPU) is what mostly determines your in game performance. If you have a high end graphics card but a low end cpu, you could potentially bottle neck the gpu and handicap it. If you are getting 100% gpu usage in game, then upgrading your CPU wont help in game performance either. If your GPU never hits 100%, then your looking at a cpu upgrade. Tldr: upgrade your graphics card.

Edited by JBURNS489

9 minutes ago, JBURNS489 said:

A ssd wont help with in game performance AT ALL...It will help games load much faster and windows itself will run a lot quicker and smoother, but will not increase fps or general performance even a tiny bit. Your graphics card (GPU) is what mostly determines your in game performance. If you have a high end graphics card but a low end cpu, you could potentially bottle neck the gpu and handicap it. If you are getting 100% gpu usage in game, then upgrading your CPU wont help in game performance either. If your GPU never hits 100%, then your looking at a cpu upgrade. Tldr: upgrade your graphics card.

Fair statement... With that said I don't know the mechanics of what lifting is being done by the CPU and what is being done by the GPU. I can only imagine that across a map that size there will always be a lot of information being drafted out of the HDD... which may not impact FPS but I have to assume it would impact the overall running of the game. 

With that said, I've never played it on an HDD and like Cold am completely bias towards the use of SSDs. 

But you're right- the SSD upgrade won't resolve FPS- I guess it all comes down to what "stuttering / lag" it was that he was talking about in his OP title. Add graphics- yeah, that's graphics card... or is it? Again I don't know what's driven by the CPU and what's driven by GPU at this point with the renderer in the state it is. 

• Like 1

At this moment I would just adjust my settings, and wait until at least new year for the after Christmas sales.

Like Eno said, the game is still heavily in production, and not even close to the optimising / polishing phase. However I expect BI will adjust the game and settings to run well on a current pc at the moment of completion. I expect that early 2017 a 970 GTX will be the average videocard, and the 1060/1070 the higher midrange. I don't know much about how the CPU's is going to develop, but I think the game remains heavy on CPU's as well. So in your situation I would start/keep saving, sell your entire pc after Christmas, and build a new one with the heavily discounted parts early next year. If you have some cash to burn right now, install afterburner to watch the fps, and choose the low graphics settings and resolution and see how much fps you get, this is the max fps for your cpu/mem/mb. Adding a good graphics card will allow you to use full resolution and run most graphical features. But maybe your gaming will benefit more from a better/bigger monitor? or something else that needs upgrading more?