Hi guys,

I haven't played DayZ in a long time(since the mod) Loving all the changes and improvements so far! 

just wondering how I can cure my sickness? I've read online that antibiotics and cleaning your wounds with alcohol, however I can find either of those things.

I've been drinking lots of water and eating lots of food hoping that will help... I did manage to find some Alcohol and used that to clean my wounds but it wasn't much.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks 

Were you injured and drinking pond water? Were you struck by zombies? Did you eat raw meat? Kind of depends on what you did as to how you can resolve it. Generally keeping hydrated and energetic is the toughest. 

Antibiotics can usually be found in abundance in military barracks.

I recently got sick, drank pond water or die from dehydration due to the stupid hyperthermic bug or whatever makes you dehydrate faster, I took my chance knowing it may well happen. I lasted maybe another 4 hours after that before I died. I tried everything to make it better. I sat under a tree, soaking wet for 2 of those hours just to get normal temp again. Even got "healthy" status for a short time. Sadly the "I feel a rumble in my stomach" warning was coming up. Running to a well every 5mins to drink and keep my energized status up too was fun. The other 2 hours I tried to find meds, to no avail. Bled out through my butthole, what a way to die in a zombie apocalypse. So happy lol.

As Eno says, you need to understand the cause of your sickness. If you've recently eaten meat (especially if it was raw) you may have food poisoning, in which case charcoal tabs will help. You'll need at least ten IIRC.

If you've been drinking untreated water from ponds, you may have cholera. There are two varieties; a mild form which is survivable, and a severe one which is not. The jury is out on whether antibiotics have any effect at all, but they (probably) can't hurt. Just stick close to a water pump (which provides clean water) and some apple trees. 

If you're sick because of a wound infection (usually caused by stitching yourself with a leather repair kit...), applying alcohol tincture should help. Don't drink it though...

Whatever the case, you should not drink untreated water while sick. There's a small risk of catching cholera from untreated water even when full green healthy - happened to me in 0.58 - and a much greater one when not. 

Stash your best gear if you can. Personally, I don't F11 if I get sick, but I do prepare for the worst, make out a will, etc.

There are lots of Wobo videos on this on YT and they're highly recommended if you'd like to understand the mechanics concerned. 

4 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

Just to say, there's a little bug that might stop you becoming 'healthy' after you recover from sickness. If you can't figure out why you can't get back to full health, try taking your shoes off for a few minutes, then put them back on and keep your energy and hydration levels up.

Edited by Mookie (original)

4 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

Sorry Mook- just curious about the whole shoes thing? Can you elaborate on that? 

Just now, eno said:

Sorry Mook- just curious about the whole shoes thing? Can you elaborate on that? 

Sure. The two times I've caught cholera (once in .57, once in .58), even though I'd recovered from the disease and no longer showed 'sick' status for long enough that I believed it, I could not get back to 'healthy', no matter how long both other bars were bright green. 

I deliberately nudged the status downwards by taking my shoes off and running around for a bit. Put them back on and within minutes, hey presto, 'healthy' returned. There used to be a little glitch there - not sure if there still is.

Actually, I quite enjoyed my episodes of sickness - they were pretty immersive and desperate. I've also been saved from food poisoning (when quite close to death) by friends who ran to my location with charcoal...

Just now, Mookie (original) said:

snip

Okay that makes sense.

In the scenario where you somehow "accidentally" ingest fuel from a jerry can (happened more times to those I have been around than we'd all care to admit) is there a "best practice?" Pretty sure the trick would be to use charcoal tabs (10?) and stay hydrated / fed as much as possible or just park your gear and F11. 

Is that about right?   

9 minutes ago, eno said:

Okay that makes sense.

In the scenario where you somehow "accidentally" ingest fuel from a jerry can (happened more times to those I have been around than we'd all care to admit) is there a "best practice?" Pretty sure the trick would be to use charcoal tabs (10?) and stay hydrated / fed as much as possible or just park your gear and F11. 

Is that about right?   

I'd certainly give charcoal a try, but deliberate stuffing>vomitting might also make sense. Had you emptied it out to use for water storage?

(After over 3,500 hours in game, ingesting petrol is something I've yet to experience - touch wood).

Edited by Mookie (original)

19 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

I'd certainly give charcoal a try, but deliberate stuffing>vomitting might also make sense. Had you emptied it out to use for water storage?

(After over 3,500 hours in game, ingesting petrol is something I've yet to experience - touch wood).

Me neither lol... but you know- one minute you're clicking "empty container" and the mouse skips to "drink all" or something similar. Each time was something like that. 

I heard they fixed the "emptied of gas, refilled with water causes sickness after a few resets" bug- here's hoping since we use them.