Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

How high is that tree?

It's a bird... it's a plane... it's a tree!

55lOUER.jpg

Chernarus' best-known flying tree has been the subject of many screenshots this patch. But the burning question remains... how high does it fly? Some people have made guesses:

"So, I was wandering up North above Tisy ... then came across a strange sight in the sky. ... It was what looked like a tree, floating what seemed like 500+ meters up in the sky..."

"... here's a shot of a tree hovering above the NW portion of the map not far from Tisy Base. Looks to be about 700-1000 feet AGL. Airborne!"

"- in the north you see an occasionally floating tree (solo pine ~ 200 m above ground)"

The Tisy tree is on the fix list and it was imperative a proper survey was made before the tree comes down to earth or disappears. 

We can't look up and walk directly under the tree, but the tree's latitude is not hard to place as the tree is only a few metres from the map border. Looking down the northern border of the map, I estimated the tree was 7 metres from the edge. It is then easy to line up with the tree from another direction and find the point of intersection. I'll call this the Root Position (haha).

The Root Position
jOxXpe4.jpg

As just mentioned, our vertical vision is limited. Currently, our character's heads can swivel up only 32 degrees. When finding the height of flying trees, this is a good thing. Maxing our view on the vertical axis and moving our character until the tree is positioned in the centre of our screen gives us a starting position. In this case, the starting point was several hundred metres into debug. We can confirm the tree is properly centred using a hunting scope placed in our hands.

The debug zone is not flat in this location. We are downhill from the Root Position. We need to find out the difference in elevation. Toggling in and out of freelook centres the view in both axes. Then it's a simple matter to estimate the angle between the centred view and the Root Position. Just under 2% of the character's vertical FOV. 

Rangefinders don't work this patch, but this is only a minor problem since distances can be approximated by timed runs. Thanks to the undulations in the terrain and other factors the distance won't be exact, but it is the best option available in the debug zone. The distance was estimated at 617.28 meters (no correction for ground contours or feet vs eye position was made).

We can now construct a right-angled triangle and estimate the height of the famous tree.

Estimated...
1. Eye distance under Root Position:  12.56 m
2. Run distance: 617.28 m
3. X-axis distance: 617.15 m
4. Angle from eye to tree: 32 degrees
5. Tree height above eye: 385.64 m

TfgVpiB.png

Therefore, the tree flies an estimated 373.08 metres above the ground (1224 feet).

tHapnts.jpg

(this post brought to you by I Have Too Much Time On My Hands)

• Like 14

This is why I love Gews. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, -Gews- said:

(this post brought to you by I Have Too Much Time On My Hands)

Gews -- he answers the burning questions everyone has on their mind ;)

• Like 1

How 'high' were you when you calculated how high it does fly? Calculate that!