97ADU Doug

Gear wipe bug. Spawning in naked

7 hours ago, sneakydude said:

still been looking for a bipod, can not make myself wipe.

Traded items till i was blue, even shot a guy standing in the tent OMFG scared me.

rat -a tat tat unknown entity :)

Likewise got back into it today for the purpose of testing this. I scoured far and wide and also did not find a single bipod. Which is very odd considering they were everywhere a few days ago. Perhaps the devs have taken them off the loot tables for the time being? Then again it could just be a massive coincidence.

Anybody else seen a bipod today or yesterday?

I've seen two or three at crash sites in the past 24 hours. The probable cause that the devs have identified isn't bipods per se - it's handguard swapping mechanics (which have always been buggy and weird anyway).

I will say to both of you that while you may be able to create the conditions for the bug, that is not the same as understanding its actual causes. My point about sufficient vs necessary conditions pertains.

Not that I don't salute your efforts, but you're gonna get through a hell of a lot of handguards...

17 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

I've seen two or three at crash sites in the past 24 hours. The probable cause that the devs have identified isn't bipods per se - it's handguard swapping mechanics (which have always been buggy and weird anyway).

I will say to both of you that while you may be able to create the conditions for the bug, that is not the same as understanding its actual causes. My point about sufficient vs necessary conditions pertains.

Not that I don't salute your efforts, but you're gonna get through a hell of a lot of handguards...

I read though Hicks' post and despite him saying the problem being hand guards, I still suspect that the bipod at least has a trigger effect or something.

Iv yet to find one and prove it for sure, however Iv been playing all day yesterday and today with an m4 with all attachments except for the bipod, and I am yet to be wiped. Could be a coincidence, but If it was me, I'd be very careful about using a bipod at the moment.

54 minutes ago, 97ADU Doug said:

I read though Hicks' post and despite him saying the problem being hand guards, I still suspect that the bipod at least has a trigger effect or something.

Iv yet to find one and prove it for sure, however Iv been playing all day yesterday and today with an m4 with all attachments except for the bipod, and I am yet to be wiped. Could be a coincidence, but If it was me, I'd be very careful about using a bipod at the moment.

I almost know the bipods being shifted (moved within the gun inventory) while the handguards are being placed on are only a key to why it is causing corruption in the database.

Its not a simple thing, see when the database is written it stays until you move an item around. it re records what you have listed.

Somehow when you swap an item area you have 0 inventory or it is damaged the record in the database.

totally surprised me, how this can happen.

But i am no expert on their database, game files to know yet.

Ill keep testing doug, it will be a basic cloth setup, and 1 m4 gun to play with with all the turkey fixings you placed on the weapon.

3 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Ill keep testing doug, it will be a basic cloth setup, and 1 m4 gun to play with with all the turkey fixings you placed on the weapon.

Cheers, let me know if you discover anything. I searched high and low for a bipod all night and still no luck. Its like they've all just skipped town :P

I found all kinds of bipods but all of a sudden 0 found. I hopped to many servers. Ill keep looking.

7 hours ago, sneakydude said:

I found all kinds of bipods but all of a sudden 0 found. I hopped to many servers. Ill keep looking.

Im beginning to highly suspect that the loot tables have been altered.

• Like 1

wondering that too doug, not 1 bipod... and now no wipes.

I did find out the M4 went ruined on me. So i need to find a new one, i think the Infected destroyed it lol Or the nato was ruined and broke it.

Sorry for the reposting, but I want to make sure everyone sees this.

1) Double click handguard while the weapon is on your back and a bipod is attached to the weapon.

2) Paint the handguard. (This step may not be necessary, but both repros that I performed I did this way.)

3) Log out.

4) Log back in.

Found it today. Reproduce at your own risk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Sorry for the reposting, but I want to make sure everyone sees this.

1) Double click handguard while the weapon is on your back and a bipod is attached to the weapon.

2) Paint the handguard. (This step may not be necessary, but both repros that I performed I did this way.)

3) Log out.

4) Log back in.

Found it today. Reproduce at your own risk.

Awesome will check into that.

Problem is finding the bipod :( havent seen one in ages now, even went to the airfield.

Painting anything can cause issues, M4 painted stock makes the mag disappear, hitting empty didn't work until i logged off and back on.

So, what i am seeing is the shifting of gun inventory around that may trigger the problem. Errors out somewhere between the bipod and the handguard.

I think when you swap the hardguard after the bipod is attached the bipod disappears something like the gun painting to the mag i mentioned. If you remove the bipod back to the inventory, the handguard may not have an issue when you put the bipod back on.

SO its a whole step, (I wish to test)

1. take bipod off of handguard before removing the handguard.

2. Replace the handguard

Note **** Do not paint the handguard while the bipod is on, or remove the handguard while the bipod is on.

3. Put the bipod back on, would this cause the gun to go damaged? possible, but also possible the bipod wont lose the gear.

Cold did this with AKs, not M4s btw.

I like the point about changing the handguard without removing the bipod being the issue, but I'm pretty sure when this bug happened to me I'd done no such thing.

Edited by Mookie (original)

53 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

Cold did this with AKs, not M4s btw.

I like the point about changing the handguard without removing the bipod being the issue, but I'm pretty sure when this bug happened to me I'd done no such thing.

Ok bro, ill test this with the AK's or whichever. Right now my M4 is ruined, and i cant find 1 bipod and 1 m4 (found M4a1) so i am thinking it was removed a couple days ago to be repaired by the Devs.

If you can think of any way in which we may have done something different and you know how the bug works please by all means mention it. I am also testing other things out, but most of the guns are sound proof.

Maybe we should remove painting weapons all together, if it causes issues in that department. Otherwise i am ok with a black and or wooden weapon.

I think we might have solved the majority of the problems with the handguards and once the devs reply to us, it was the handguard code, bipod and database issues.

Swapped handguards, on the new M4a1, with my old ruined gun. I will camp now. I have no bipods what so ever.

Edit =

Came back no problems. Took SS just as proof. Pristine M4a1 swapped handguards that where both prestine and now M4a1 is worn.... like really? flaw there too not once but twice.

Edited by sneakydude

Thought I'd chime back in, been using the M4 since my last post and have yet to be wiped again. Still am yet to find a bipod anywhere.

Its my guess that the devs have found some problem with the bipod and handgaurds. The bipod, being the less frequently used of the two attachments was removed to prevent further gear loss by unsuspecting players until a hot fix is implemented.

Ill post again if im ever wiped, or If i ever find a bipod. But assuming those two things never happen again, the problem has been temporarily solved by removing bipods.

6 minutes ago, 97ADU Doug said:

Thought I'd chime back in, been using the M4 since my last post and have yet to be wiped again. Still am yet to find a bipod anywhere.

Its my guess that the devs have found some problem with the bipod and handgaurds. The bipod, being the less frequently used of the two attachments was removed to prevent further gear loss by unsuspecting players until a hot fix is implemented.

Ill post again if im ever wiped, or If i ever find a bipod. But assuming those two things never happen again, the problem has been temporarily solved by removing bipods.

Yup, i can clearly confirm that the M4 with the bipod and handguard is an issue when swapping parts around, either it being painted or swapped.

I feel the same issues can be somewhere in the AK versions. The 101 seems to be very stable the way it is.

There is way to many tests i did without the bipod. I swapped in and out the handguards and other parts, and clearly it shows i have had 0 wipes.

3 hours ago, sneakydude said:

If you can think of any way in which we may have done something different and you know how the bug works please by all means mention it. I am also testing other things out, but most of the guns are sound proof.

While, as I say, I salute your efforts, I'm just not sure you will be able to establish the cause through trial and error. There are already some counterfactuals. First, the devs' thinking is that it's not bipods, it's swapping the handguards (they may or may not be right). Crucially, the root cause may not have been something that you have just done before you are wiped. It may be a chance of something corrupting your database that you did a while ago, or a combination of things.

But second, there is evidence that the same problem has happened to people in 0.60 who are not using M4s, or AKs and who have not even touched a bipod or a rail guard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mookie (original) said:

But second, there is evidence that the same problem has happened to people in 0.60 who are not using M4s, or AKs and who have not even touched a bipod or a rail guard.

Ouch that's not good, i would not know what to say.

FWIW, Today I had issues with a cooking pot. I managed to get it out of my inventory (was then hovering in the air at head level). I relogged. Spawned back in missing backpack, pants, and shoes. 

I hadn't modified any assault rifles during that session. 

Edited by Parazight

Pots are weird in 0.60 - I can't get one to stay in a barrel.

The wipe bug involves something modifiable, or nestable that's corrupting your database. My theory is that bipods and handguards are one of that class of items, but there are others.

• Like 1

I agree with your hypothesis. It's probably not just (m4 hand guards) but likely to do with nesting in general. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2016 at 9:16 AM, Parazight said:

I agree with your hypothesis. It's probably not just (m4 hand guards) but likely to do with nesting in general. 

It is very possible with the nesting code, it uses the same as the handguard, and bipod (shifting inventory) goes through the same coding as those weapons or all weapons.

If it doesn't use those values it never gets to that code.

Because it has 4 slots inside the pot, could those items you stored in the pot also cause the endless loop? thus causing the wipe to your character. bet its reducing gear items except for the object you have in hand. Like the gun and the pot???

On 7/11/2016 at 4:49 AM, Mookie (original) said:

Pots are weird in 0.60 - I can't get one to stay in a barrel.

The wipe bug involves something modifiable, or nestable that's corrupting your database. My theory is that bipods and handguards are one of that class of items, but there are others.

Check inside the pot... empty pot with 0 items. no water inside the pot too. Now see if you can place it inside the barrel.

Items inside the pot, and water i bet don't fit inside the barrel.

Your other theory is spot on bro... nice

This happened to me, I was double carrying, AK74 with a flashlight and a normal handguard in my hands. It might be fuckery caused by changing the handguard after adding a rail attached item? I did not have a bipod on either rifle. (M4 on back)

I suppose after reading this thread I'll try to not use any rail attached items. They are after all useless anyway..

Edited by wartzilla

13 hours ago, wartzilla said:

This happened to me, I was double carrying, AK74 with a flashlight and a normal handguard in my hands. It might be fuckery caused by changing the handguard after adding a rail attached item? I did not have a bipod on either rifle. (M4 on back)

I suppose after reading this thread I'll try to not use any rail attached items. They are after all useless anyway..

They are useful above and beyond looking funky - that's why people use them.

The M4 certainly has significantly improved accuracy with a bipod deployed (and IIRC the AKs too), especially when the shooter is prone. If you're firing to targets over 150m or so the effect is serious. If you have to snipe or overwatch with an assault rifle it's the best way.

And the weapon flashlight has an obvious use in the dark...

Whatever the case, I flat refuse to swap out handguards on my M4s these days, although painting them seems ok.

• Like 1