S3V3N

Anyone wanna share their AMD experiences in Dayz?

Hi, for the first time in years I'm thinking about getting an AMD card again. I found the RX480 does everything I need and wonder if anyone is using the card with Dayz. For one reason it's not as power-hungry as the NVidia ones I can get for the price. Secondly, I don't want to buy a used card and this is in a good price/value relation. If any other cards come to mind that would be a good buy in the upcoming months, please let me know below.

If I were you, I'd wait until AMD releases all of the 400 series cards and Nvidia rebalances their pricing in response. It may push something other than the 480 to the top as the price/performance leader. You shouldn't have to wait long either.

Stay with Nvidia. They may be power hungry, but they won't break from the little tasks or the big ones. Please please please please PLEASE stay with Nvidia. more reliable.

I got R9 270X for very cheap price. I am vey satsifished with performance, but I hate AMD's drivers.

To the OP.

You should just go with the best performer for the money you want to spend.

Go to Tom's Hardware and read the latest reviews. Go to your local PC store (not a department store) and see what sells the best.

If you have a dedicated gaming rig then pick a manufacturer based on their ability to deliver the best experience for your specific games of choice.

I have been using pretty high-end PCs since the early 90's (had my own store) and over that time I have found that ANY top-tier card will work well....it's the related things that cause someone to either praise or hate their cards. (things like fan noise when they get hot, driver interface, and software that supports it.). I generally don't need to do a full build for three or four years at a time using this methodology

Currently I am running the R290x cards in CFX because my way of doing things is I buy the best card of the two companies and when games get too demanding for it I just buy a second card (at about half the price of the original) and stretch my gaming goodness for another year, at least.

My advice is this. Don't get a reference card. Get one from the aftermarket companies. These all have better cooling solutions and usually have a small overclock thrown in.

AMD cards run cooler because they don't suck as much power, and therefore they are much quieter.

There is nothing "wrong" with AMD's Drivers.

I have never had a graphics card "break"......EVER.....countless high-end cards to use as my sample size...some I overclocked, some I water blocked, some I just treated poorly in LAN Bash rigs....Not a single Nvidia or AMD (or 3dFx, ATi, Matrox, for that matter) stopped working. The warranty for all these cards is good enough to not have to worry about it.

Finally....don't make any decision based solely on opinions from me or anyone else online....we all have personal preferences and biased points of view. Decide based on data and tests from respected authorities and you can't go wrong. Spend as much as you can on a single card and just enjoy the goodness.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the RX480 is similair to a gtx970. If you want VR at some point a 480 or 970 is recommended by the VR manufacturers. 

Are you having any of the power draw errors that many people are reporting when using a RX480 on lower end motherboards??a Quick google showed me a slew of people having massive power issues with the 480. Id recommend waiting for the non refrence 480's (the first non refrence card already uses a 8 pin connector over the 6 to apply more power withouyt having to draw from the pcie which seems to have them shit the bed so to speak on motherboards not so capable, You might say not a big problem i have a good mobo well yeah but as it is aimed as a good budget gamer card many will build with these on budget mobo's Id class that as a big fuck up on there part )(i am a nvidea guy but always buy non refrence cards as they have better cooling( unless your using small form factor case then the refrence blower style is the way to go )

I highly suggest a 850watt Gold or Platinum certified Power Supply as well. A lot of flakey MB "problems" are cured by good, clean power. All the more important if you are running an Nvidia product.

I find it ridiculous that the PCIE bus is being used for even the so-called "budget" cards, as by now even THEY are drawing an awfully large amount of power. 

As mentioned, if you can wait for a bit, the non-reference cards will start to show up and prices will bump down for both manufacturers as a result.

I've been all in on AMD for 16 years now. No breakages, no issues. My current setup R9 280X and AMD 8350 runs dayz smooth as silk And when I'm not playing they fold for cures at Folding@home. So my all AMD machine practically runs 24/7 at full blast with no issues. 

This current setup (R9 280X and AMD 8350) has been running like this since 05/2014. I did replace the stock fan on the CPU and a couple of case fans.

So S3V3N i can highly recommend AMD because of my experiences. And you get more bang for your buck. Finances permitting I will upgrade to the new generation of AMD GPU's, by then the full line-ups will be available and the problems sorted out.