Sign in to follow this  
Espa

Updated Kuru

As most of you know, or have played as, Cannibals are an interesting type of playstyle that is based solely on PvP and has no beneficial properties to being as such - And that's fine - But their disease, Kuru, is tough on the player and has no gameplay incentive.

I propose a slight change to Kuru that I think will be appealing to most: Have the disease Kuru show its' symptoms more and more the longer the player waits to devour human steaks, but be almost non-apparent if recently consumed.

Essentially:

• Up to thirty minutes the Kuru laugh and shakiness is at a minimum, only laughing every 15 minutes.
  • After thirty minutes the Kuru laugh and shakiness is at a medium, laughing every 10 minutes.
  • After another hour the Kuru laugh and shakiness is getting intense, laughing every 7 minutes.
  • After another hour the Kuru laugh and shakiness is extreme, laughing every 5 minutes.

This makes it a true game style and pushes the player to continue hunting or be a more apparent/easier target

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Espa said:

This makes it a true game style and pushes the player to continue hunting

I'm not seeing how this is a 'game style'.  Who would adopt this style of play when there's no benefit?  Possibly related, can you elaborate as to how cannibalism pushes a player to commit more?

Also, the last remaining carrier of Kuru died some time ago.

Players already adopt this play style and it is a largely static mode that causes you to shake and laugh consistently. - The change I've made would push players to have a reliable amount of meat on them during their characters' life just so they can appear to look like any normal survivor and make it easier for them to kill again (Being silent and without the laugh), orrrrr they run out of meat and the symptoms start progressing more and more.

It's a bit like playing a drug addict. As long as they have the horrible drug, they're not doing so bad. . But take it away and force them to scour, they're twitching and freaking out, making it very apparent to those who are being cautious.

Kuru is a game mechanic that anyone can receive from eating Human Steaks. It is around.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, Espa said:

Players already adopt this play style and it is a largely static mode that causes you to shake and laugh consistently. - The change I've made would push players to have a reliable amount of meat on them during their characters' life just so they can appear to look like any normal survivor and make it easier for them to kill again (Being silent and without the laugh), orrrrr they run out of meat and the symptoms start progressing more and more.

It's a bit like playing a drug addict. As long as they have the horrible drug, they're not doing so bad. . But take it away and force them to scour, they're twitching and freaking out, making it very apparent to those who are being cautious.

Kuru is a game mechanic that anyone can receive from eating Human Steaks. It is around.

A single game mechanic that was implemented doesn't make a 'playstyle'. There has to be a benefit that goes along with the penalty to ever reach 'playstyle' status.

So the only thing that makes your suggestion a valid 'playstyle' is the fact that you wont starve.  That's absurd.  As long as you're not blind or hilariously incompetent* you should be able to survive.  Hunting, fishing, or just apple picking.  If you starve to death in Dayz then you have a much bigger problem than trying to roleplay/maintain such a ridiculous 'playstyle'. 

Even if I went far out onto the limb and accepted this as a playstyle, the rest of your suggestion makes no sense at all.   Kuru was localized to the tribal regions of Papua New Guinea and was developed accidentally.  It then spread because of cultural/religious beliefs.  NOT because they had some nonsensical drive to continue killing in order to keep the laughing at bay. 

Clearly, you have no idea about Kuru outside of what you saw in a video game.  Having the Kuru disease is nothing like 'playing a drug addict'.  It is not around anymore.  Even if you TRIED to get Kuru nowadays you wouldn't be able to.

*term stolen borrowed from whyherro

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

A single game mechanic that was implemented doesn't make a 'playstyle'. There has to be a benefit that goes along with the penalty to ever reach 'playstyle' status.

So the only thing that makes your suggestion a valid 'playstyle' is the fact that you wont starve.  That's absurd.  As long as you're not blind or hilariously incompetent* you should be able to survive.  Hunting, fishing, or just apple picking.  If you starve to death in Dayz then you have a much bigger problem than trying to roleplay/maintain such a ridiculous 'playstyle'. 

Even if I went far out onto the limb and accepted this as a playstyle, the rest of your suggestion makes no sense at all.   Kuru was localized to the tribal regions of Papua New Guinea and was developed accidentally.  It then spread because of cultural/religious beliefs.  NOT because they had some nonsensical drive to continue killing in order to keep the laughing at bay. 

Clearly, you have no idea about Kuru outside of what you saw in a video game.  Having the Kuru disease is nothing like 'playing a drug addict'.  It is not around anymore.  Even if you TRIED to get Kuru nowadays you wouldn't be able to.

I really can't tell if you're trolling or just an idiot. . 

Kuru is in the game. Fact. End of story. This is not real life - The game is not set in Papa New Guinea or any other region. We're in a fictional place, in a fictional world, where realism is bent. I hope you understand that and don't think you live in DayZ and the real world simultaneously. . 

I play on mostly Hardcore Roleplaying servers with a bit of PvP and guess what, in roleplay, that is a playstyle. And for the player, who is not the character themselves, they are going to want to ensure that their character is as safe and geared as possible - This would include 'feeding' so that the symptoms of the (fictional) Kuru (that is in game) would be harming the character as little as possible. If this kind of time-dependent system was placed into the game for players who enjoy playing a wacko cannibal, it would give you something to do, a way to limit the fear/violence you elicit from strangers, and actually bring more 'realism' to being a Cannibal in DayZ. - I say this because if the system was instituted, it would be like playing a drug addict. If you can't understand the reasoning, I am sorry that cannot process this, but it does make sense. 

Also, a playstyle does not have to have benefits to offset a negative - It is simply how you play. For example, some players opt to play a nonviolent role in a setting that is intensely violent. This actually weakens them in terms of the larger picture, but it gives them a role. Cannibals are a role, also, otherwise they wouldn't have been put into the game. - I, also, expect that when the game is being more refined that food will become less and less available and make killing others for their flesh an option to think about.

Cannibals CAN eat other food than Human steak. . This is not about starving, this is about having a way to manage your psychotic nature and debilitating ailment resulting from.

LOL.  Plays the roleplayers card.  I shoulda known.  You totally lost me when you said that.  However, I've forced myself to read the rest of this rubbish for the good of Dayz, and for science.

2 hours ago, Espa said:

and actually bring more 'realism' to being a Cannibal in DayZ.

Okay player, you want to add realism to cannibalism?  And somehow engaging in more cannibalism will magically reduce the effects of it?   No. that's not how prions work.  Not even close.  Prions and their aggregates are exceptionally sound and stable.  You cannot suppress the cause of this disease when proteins are being folded in this manner. 

In a game that strives for authenticity, this cannibal bullshit nonsense steers away from that.   I would be doing a great dis-service to everyone if I said nothing while LARPers and their inbred cousins continue on believing and acting upon the delusional notions of how they think the world operates.

That all said, we'll probably have to agree to disagree.  I want DayZ to be as authentic as possible.  You want to roleplay around made up science.

I hope you understand that and don't think you live in DayZ and the real world simultaneously.

no.  I'm not a roleplayer.

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

Oh.  I just saw that you and your happy little band of roleplayers just got a server off the ground that is doomed to fail.  It all makes sense now.

Ladies, ladies, you're both pretty. Play nice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Parazight said:

Am I a trend-setter, now? : D

4 hours ago, Espa said:

I really can't tell if you're trolling or just an idiot. . 

Kuru is in the game. Fact. End of story. This is not real life - The game is not set in Papa New Guinea or any other region. We're in a fictional place, in a fictional world, where realism is bent. I hope you understand that and don't think you live in DayZ and the real world simultaneously. . 

I play on mostly Hardcore Roleplaying servers with a bit of PvP and guess what, in roleplay, that is a playstyle. And for the player, who is not the character themselves, they are going to want to ensure that their character is as safe and geared as possible - This would include 'feeding' so that the symptoms of the (fictional) Kuru (that is in game) would be harming the character as little as possible. If this kind of time-dependent system was placed into the game for players who enjoy playing a wacko cannibal, it would give you something to do, a way to limit the fear/violence you elicit from strangers, and actually bring more 'realism' to being a Cannibal in DayZ. - I say this because if the system was instituted, it would be like playing a drug addict. If you can't understand the reasoning, I am sorry that cannot process this, but it does make sense. 

Also, a playstyle does not have to have benefits to offset a negative - It is simply how you play. For example, some players opt to play a nonviolent role in a setting that is intensely violent. This actually weakens them in terms of the larger picture, but it gives them a role. Cannibals are a role, also, otherwise they wouldn't have been put into the game. - I, also, expect that when the game is being more refined that food will become less and less available and make killing others for their flesh an option to think about.

Cannibals CAN eat other food than Human steak. . This is not about starving, this is about having a way to manage your psychotic nature and debilitating ailment resulting from.

Asides from Kuru straight-up not existing anymore in reality, you do realize that eating more human meat makes the "disease" worse, right? Not better? Eating more of a poison doesn't make it less lethal. 

I blame post-apocalyptic media for the spread of "Kuru". Every cannibal in PA movies has the shakes. In "reality", you don't get Kuru from eating random human meat. You get it from eating the brain/spinal/nervous tissue of someone that already has the disease. Kuru was comparatively uncommon amongst Men in Papau New Guinea because they ate the flesh of deceased relatives. Conversely, it was common among women and children because they ate the brains of the deceased. Considering how the "zombie disease" in Day Z is pretty much canonically a prion disease (mentioned in one of the early reports by Dean Hall) maybe that is what is causing the brain degeneration of cannibals....... except for the little fact that the players are canonically immune to the zombie disease.

FUCKING HATE the cannibalism mechanic in Day Z, and in most "survival games", almost solely for the idea that Kuru somehow magically exists everywhere, and that cannibalism is "necessary" in a survival game. I really wish they would take it out.

Let me tell you a little something, Espa. Day Z takes place in a Temperate Deciduous Forest. Temperate Deciduous Forests are some of the most hospitable environments humans can live in. Plenty of food, plenty of water, plenty of shelter. ESPECIALLY during the time of year Day Z takes place in. I blame the devs 100% for implementing cannibalism, where in "reality" there would be plenty of food for hundreds of people, with just a little bit of effort. I have rued the day ever since they implemented it, and never once mentioned things like cattail, acorns or any of the other "survival foods" that would be readily available if Day Z were any way "authentic". It tells me how the devs want the game to go. 

Cannibalism would not be necessary in Day Z. Cannibalism is not needed in Day Z. Trying to make a "playstyle" (/snerk) out of it is foolish. Want to know what a playstyle is? A farmer, a survivalist, a bandit. Not a cannibal. 

• Like 2