Sign in to follow this  
Zurvivalist

Still no love to the survivalists ?

Hate to be Mr Negative in light of all the awesomeness that is 0.60 . Which is AMAZING Btw .. Good job Devs ! 

That being said.. I have some issues as it currently stands ..

CLE is out of whack again.. Here's a few examples 

in 59 Nets were too rare .. Last night I found 28 nets before i found a fishing pole ( with netting + steel wire Fishing rod is pointless fyi) 

Yet Burlap is now as rare as Nets use to be.. or so it seems 

Apple tree glitch still works.Too much food still spawns  And now Chickens are over populated .. 

Yet Larger animals seem even more uncommon . 

So yet again. No real point in the whole Hunting/ trapping aspects of game play.. Meet so many people with 500+ hours that have never experienced the need to hunt/ fish/trap for food to survive .. kinda sad really . 

Hunger / Thirst /Health seems to have been rebalanced.. once green i seem to stay in that condition MUCH too long.. one meal a day ? seems boring ... 

With the new weather system going .. which I really like .. Making fires from time to time once again is a nice requirement .. Still be nice to get a BiC lighter tossed into the loot for a third teer fire starter option ( make for a nice small torch light option too ) 

Melee is still pathetic.. It will never be a zombie survival game without proper melee ... 

Some minor bugs I've encountered.. Still being tested before reporting 

If you allow yourself to be cornered . Zombies will push you through a wall .. may also follow you through it . 

Grafix glitch will occasionally Flash a white square over a new player rendering into your field of view.. making people insanely easy to spot from any distance . Possibly exploitable ? Not a  pvper .. so will be slow to test this out . 

Weapons .. reloading ,, jamming ... misfireing ? confusing honestly .. all sound the same and new keys dont always seem to respond properly .. 

Just the few annoyances I've faced in the few hours I've had a chance to play around 

• Like 1

It feels to me like the outdoors survivalist stuff is coming along slowly but surely!

On a server without any loot spawns you could:

1.Fish 2.Hunt with bow and arrow 3.Cook meat on campfires 4.Craft different kinds of arrows 5.Craft Melee weapons like stone knifes and spears

There are still a few links missing to stuff like crafting your own clothing or farming that would enable you to do so without using stuff like sewing kits and shovels that you can't produce yourself,

I just hope the devs have all that in mind! I would say 0.60 was a step into the direction of survivalist gameplay, and i love it :)

Edited by homeschooliazon

This one actually deserves defending, so here goes... :)

The "surviving" aspect is non-existent at the moment, but with good reason - the team is testing functionality of certain systems, so they make related objects easily obtainable on purpose. E.g. They allow you easy access to food and see if e.g. vomiting applies desired effects/hunger and dehydration progresses at desired pace/etc. (Of course nutrition testing was concluded long time ago, I just used it as an example.)

You'll see a shift towards survival aspects when they start data mining for social behavior, migration, frequency of occurrences, etc. and start fine tuning the numbers of what you find or are able to do in game. Digression: They already do that, but to a very small extent, like making heatmaps of where people die.

When that comes is a totally different question though...

• Like 2

before they are going to focus on the survival aspect they first need to get the basics right, like as you said the melee system (will come with new character controller) aswell as the new sound system (A3 Eden sound system)  and better zombie spawning (all 3 are worked on right now)

after that it will be a much bigger priority, I would love some more survival aswell, although scavenging should always stay an option

You shouldn't have to hunt/fish/forage to survive. That's just one strategy with it's own costs and benefits. I hunt/fish/forage not because I need to but because I like to spend a minimum amount of time in traffic areas and I just enjoy that style of play.

I tend to agree that some spawns may make things a bit too easy for scavenge-based characters but I don't expect lots of balancing of the type to be done until beta.

I'm sure some animal spawn tuning will also be occurring but I'm not super unhappy with the current setup. I still haven't seen any boar/pigs though. :(

I agree with you that melee system is feeling like it needs some love. Hell, just making punching not effective would go a long way toward that. :D

Edited by ebrim

6 hours ago, ebrim said:

You shouldn't have to hunt/fish/forage to survive.

I stopped reading here.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, eno said:

I stopped reading here.

I have to agree with eno on this.

After a length of time you have no choice but to hunt, fish, plant etc..

I always thought that loot shouldn't respawn, or, at the very least, decrease in quantity over time.

Otherwise, there is no purpose, other than RP, to have hunting/fishing/foraging in the game.

Or, canned food would provide much less energy than "made" food, or eating nothing but canned food would cause certain health effects. Eating nothing but beans and spaghetti will cause you to lack vitamins. Scurvy, anyone?

If canned food is "better", easier to find and is easier to "access" than other sources of food, people aren't going to use the other sources. We see it right now in-game. Who, asides from the people trying out the mechanics, actually farms, fishes and hunts?

Nobody.

I am rapidly, and have been for some time, losing faith in Day Z as a "survival game".

I wanted to re phrase this whole thing.

The base game is being d

eveloped, which includes the assets and all the survival assets they can think of at this time.

With enough input, and trust me if enough people want things they will look into it. If it is something they can do in a time frame it will be added to the base game. Later on, they will listen to our modding requests, and have the assets added for it. DLC packs etc.. if it goes that way.

We do need the ability to make "how we feel the world" should be on our server. If it is different from the original base game you see on hosted original game servers it is your choice to play there or not. The rest will have their version of the world.

As a server admin, and modder (Scripter) I found it very important to listen to the people connecting and look for ways to add in new content or design a system around it. Arma 3 would not be what it is today without Arma 2 mods, and the massive Arma 3 mods. Now you look at game mods like exile which is rather fun, minus the default ways the mod is. You do have the ability to change things as a scripter etc..

So the possibilities are there to make the survival game you want. If its hunting, scavenging, planting, and house building that you want, it can be done.

I just had to put that out there for people that have never knew what the base game offers us. The default base game will only be so much what you want because it has to offer everything to the mass people that purchased it.

If I had my own way? I would have .22, shotguns, pistols, some very rare military guns, and some short to mid range scoped guns. I would add in some survival things such as planting crops, building houses/bases, and base survival things.

I would make it into a conquest type map, where as clans fight others and rob them blind.

Take a look at the TV series

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070791/?ref_=ext_shr_eml_vi_tt_ov_vi#lb-vi3160254745 

This is best to explain the way I would do it.

Edited by sneakydude

You know.. the only thing on that list that really bothers me is melee. I can live with the rest with no problems even because I think most of them should be gone once game is finished. Now melee on the other hand.. very uncertain imo. Who knows what they plan to do about it, its a mistery as far as I know.

Its the discrepancy when you compare the firefights with the melee fights that makes me so sad. Firefights are so good, feels awesome. Melee fights are immersion breaking.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, Zurvivalist said:

Hate to be Mr Negative in light of all the awesomeness that is 0.60 . Which is AMAZING Btw .. Good job Devs ! 

Yet Burlap is now as rare as Nets use to be.. or so it seems 

I found a bunch in sheds out of the cities. Deeper into the center of the map.

What I am looking for is a scope for the 22 rifle. I have just gotten the styr aug but the scope is really what I was after.

Deer stands? towers? still the locations?

thanks

On 7/1/2016 at 6:03 PM, sneakydude said:

I found a bunch in sheds out of the cities. Deeper into the center of the map.

What I am looking for is a scope for the 22 rifle. I have just gotten the styr aug but the scope is really what I was after.

Deer stands? towers? still the locations?

thanks

hunting scopes i find mostly in tree stands. and now in houses on other rifles like the trumpet 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:24 AM, Zurvivalist said:

hunting scopes i find mostly in tree stands. and now in houses on other rifles like the trumpet 

OH the trumpet has one, right on. Ive looked at quite a few  deer stands, and tree stands but I am having issues finding one. Longhorns, Rangefinders, B95, Bino's etc.. and I know its just me looking because I played odd hours to run a gauntlet check. 1/50 me.

I got lots of smoker heli spawns, few nice items... too many guns now.

No, the fishing rod has purpose. (You can't use the fishing traps to catch fresh water fishes (carp) right now.)
2hgz1jl.jpg

I'm a survivalist, and I do agree that it's too easy to find can goods, ammo and weapons right now. Still way too easy in my opinion.

2 hours ago, sneakydude said:

OH the trumpet has one, right on. Ive looked at quite a few  deer stands, and tree stands but I am having issues finding one. Longhorns, Rangefinders, B95, Bino's etc.. and I know its just me looking because I played odd hours to run a gauntlet check. 1/50 me.

I got lots of smoker heli spawns, few nice items... too many guns now.

Feeding shacks also have hunting scopes, but since 0.60 it's super easy to find the scope attached to a rifle. Try the "gun house", as there's bound to be a bunch of rifles lying on the ground, with at least one of them with a scope. I also find hunting scopes in hunting jacket and pants.

I fished for the first time today, using an improvised rod. Quite enjoyed it, but the carp only yield one measly fillet apiece. And it still says 'raw' even when it's cooked...

Killing and eating chickens is way easier right now, those are everywhere!

I can only hope they will fix the bow in the future so you can walk while having the bow pulled, even if it's very far from the best weapon, once in a while i'd like to use it just for funsies

On 7/4/2016 at 1:25 PM, odin_lowe said:

No, the fishing rod has purpose. (You can't use the fishing traps to catch fresh water fishes (carp) right now.)

Spoiler

2hgz1jl.jpg

I'm a survivalist, and I do agree that it's too easy to find can goods, ammo and weapons right now. Still way too easy in my opinion.

The fish trap made with netting and wire will most definitely catch you carp from any inland pond or stream.  Half of the time, it will even catch you two. I no longer have any interest in the fishing rods, for reasons mentioned below.

On 7/4/2016 at 4:29 PM, Mookie (original) said:

I fished for the first time today, using an improvised rod. Quite enjoyed it, but the carp only yield one measly fillet apiece. And it still says 'raw' even when it's cooked...

I noticed this right away, and thought it was some kind of bug.  But it appears to be a ham-fisted attempt at balancing something that needed no balancing.  I filled a whole barrel with fish and cleaned them all, hoping maybe that it was some kind of early soft skill.  What I learned instead was that a stone knife (p) will only give you 90%-100% cuts for the first few uses; steel knives are even less consistent, as you never know which degree of pristine they are.  A carp yielding only one filet? FFS, How?  I've done a hack job on my first fish of the season before, but this is ridiculous...

On an interesting side note, I discovered this week that the combat knife has a can opener buff, whereas even a damaged combat knife will open any condition of can with 95%-100% efficiency.  

I'll try to test the hunting, steak, and kitchen knives for different purposes, and see if a similar specialized task is best suited to each knife.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 3

There really must be a balance. We are depicting a modern world, with an abundance of prefab food laying around. If we depopulate an area, lets say for instance the suburb outside of Stockholm (Sweden) where I live, and we do it very fast with a zombie infection, I am quite sure that there would be plenty of canned/dryed and other means of preserved food around, for quite some time. Also common medications, like bandages, bandaids, penecilin etc. However, it will, naturally decrease in number during time. But still, an area as large as this would provide for me and quite  few others for a long time. Gas stations would have gasoline and other other necessities for keeping vehicles running and so forth.
Even if I, lets say, after quite some time, had to move out in a rural area, there would still be stuff around, more than you would think I belive.
I am not against the survival aspect, on the contrary, but we need to give it time, let the devs work and tweak the system, work on tools for us to use. As allways, remember that this is a game in development, and I forsee (insert Emperors voice) a rather good future for this game, with a nice and balanced (game play wise, so it doesn't turn in to a farming sim) system where you forage and farm/hunt in a team work oriented way.