Sign in to follow this  
BCBasher

My video card keeps coming up error 43

Had a bit of a crappy week a couple weeks ago, woke up to a dead back light on one of my matched monitors, went to work and came home to have my computer start freezing every five minutes due to dead caps.

I found a compatible mother board on a local "used" site, did a fresh install of windows and left it alone for three days to do windows updates. I did all my hardware drivers and when I got to my vid card nothing is working, this is the third time I've done a clean install with this card a Zotac 650ti and the last two times I just installed the Nvidia driver package and it worked fine. This time I've uninstalled, reinstalled tried older versions, completely shutting down and waiting instead of just restarting when prompted and nothing is working. I'm getting into windows with the card but it's showing an error 43 in device manager and obviously will not start any games.

Anyone have any tips that aren't in the first ten pages of a google search for "zotac gtx650ti error 43 windows 7"?

As for GPUs and PSUs, I have made plenty of "planned obscolence" experiences where either would just fry right after the guarantee was over, so I would be careful in buying used parts older than 1 year tops.

But sounds like your GPU is done for..? edited because when re-reading I am not sure I understand. Dead caps = capacitors? Theres plenty of caps in a computer, which ones are dead? You'll most likely have to replace the corresponding part.

Edited by Buakaw

8 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

As for GPUs and PSUs, I have made plenty of "planned obscolence" experiences where either would just fry right after the guarantee was over, so I would be careful in buying used parts older than 1 year tops.

But sounds like your GPU is done for.

The motherboard that died was going on nine years old and had run 24/7 for the entire time, guessing the new one was made not long after that but the caps are good. With the way my luck has been going the last few months my hardware falling like dominoes wouldn't shock me in the least. As much as I'd love to just go out and buy new having four kids under eighteen and a wife has me perpetually at the end of the list for getting new stuff.

Would changing motherboards put the low end PSU (stock Compaq) over the top, it worked fine with the card and old board?

I guess I'll play on my laptop in the time being and put in a request for a new card and wait patiently, at least I'll be able to move it into a new computer when hell freezes over and I get it.   

You could try upgrading to Windows 10. I had a virus on my HD that annoyingly disabled or double clicked my mouse. It was impossible to play Dayz, though it added extra thrill ^^

I made a personal data update and upgraded from a bootable DVD I made with the Win 10 updater. I'm not entirely sure if it is still possible to download it for free. I had Windows 7 before and 10 is actually booting quicker and seems to work pretty decent so far. I just diabled all the stuff in Win10 that would send personal info on to Microsoft; that was very easy, too. 

I'm wondering if you maybe bought a defective card. Are you sure about the guy who sold it to you? Or was it a new one you upgraded, but who would buy a 650ti now? 

Edited by S3V3N

33 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

The motherboard that died was going on nine years old and had run 24/7 for the entire time, guessing the new one was made not long after that but the caps are good. With the way my luck has been going the last few months my hardware falling like dominoes wouldn't shock me in the least. As much as I'd love to just go out and buy new having four kids under eighteen and a wife has me perpetually at the end of the list for getting new stuff.

Would changing motherboards put the low end PSU (stock Compaq) over the top, it worked fine with the card and old board?

I guess I'll play on my laptop in the time being and put in a request for a new card and wait patiently, at least I'll be able to move it into a new computer when hell freezes over and I get it.   

Without knowing any specifications, most likely you need to replace either GPU or PSU.

And switching MBs should make a difference of a couple dozen watts top, so normally not noticeable.

Edited by Buakaw

8 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

You could try upgrading to Windows 10. I had a virus on my HD that annoyingly disabled or double clicked my mouse. It was impossible to play Dayz, though it added extra thrill ^^

I made a personal data update and upgraded from a bootable DVD I made with the Win 10 updater. I'm not entirely sure if it is still possible to download it for free. I had Windows 7 before and 10 is actually booting quicker and seems to work pretty decent so far. I just diabled all the stuff in Win10 that would send personal info on to Microsoft; that was very easy, too. 

I'm wondering if you maybe bought a defective card. Are you sure about the guy who sold it to you? Or was it a new one you upgraded, but who would buy a 650ti now? 

I'm a little skeptical about 10 right now for various reasons, might see what happens now that I'm stuck anyway but it'll have to wait for my next trip to civilization.

I bought the vid card new 3 years ago, It was my mobo that I had to replace with a used one.

The mobo seems good and the vid card was working before I swapped  

10 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

Without knowing any specifications, most likely you need to replace either GPU or PSU.

And switching MBs should make a difference of a couple dozen watts top, so normally not noticeable.

Well that's not happening this week unfortunately.

Ah sorry, I thought the card came from the same source as the mb. Didn't read it with full attention. Yeah, I was sceptical too - why would Windows give away their shit for free, right? But they really aren't, we are just elegible for a free upgrade for a limited time. I wouldn't have done it without the bug either. But I thought, ok let's try this. You could always go back to Win7 if you dislike 10. I always turn off all graphical fancies and "transparent windows" and all that anyway. So my Windows basically looks like Windows 2000 ^^

But yeah, if it is really a broken CPU that wouldn't be much help. But then at least you should be able to return that motherboard and kick the guy's nuts for making you waste time installing it and all that. Wouldn't a BIOS update be the last straw here? I just don't know in how far this could endanger warranty. 

3 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

Ah sorry, I thought the card came from the same source as the mb. Didn't read it with full attention. Yeah, I was sceptical too - why would Windows give away their shit for free, right? But they really aren't, we are just elegible for a free upgrade for a limited time. I wouldn't have done it without the bug either. But I thought, ok let's try this. You could always go back to Win7 if you dislike 10. I always turn off all graphical fancies and "transparent windows" and all that anyway. So my Windows basically looks like Windows 2000 ^^

But yeah, if it is really a broken CPU that wouldn't be much help. But then at least you should be able to return that motherboard and kick the guy's nuts for making you waste time installing it and all that. Wouldn't a BIOS update be the last straw here? I just don't know in how far this could endanger warranty. 

My skepticism of 10 stems from the fact that I haven't paid for an os since I found a magic XP disc that didn't care how many computers I put it on in an IT guys waste basket as a janitor many years ago etc. It's starting to look like I've got nothing to loose pulling my usual shenanigans as far as that goes at this point. 

The board was only $20 as is so it's no big loss, pretty sure it's fine anyway and will keep my ram and cpu in use for another few years as media center PC at the very least.

I had a pretty significant mental breakdown at my last job so we're still financially recovering, obviously I have to take care of everyone else first before I buy my self luxury items. Things are picking up though and I'm patient to a fault, was just hoping a bit of good luck for a change but deep down I know it'll come full circle again eventually.

1 hour ago, BCBasher said:

I had a pretty significant mental breakdown at my last job so we're still financially recovering, obviously I have to take care of everyone else first before I buy my self luxury items. Things are picking up though and I'm patient to a fault, was just hoping a bit of good luck for a change but deep down I know it'll come full circle again eventually.

Just remember this: bad people are always doing great ^^

If you're doing too good in life you're probably just stealing from the poor ;) I'm not religious, but I do believe if there was a god he'd want us to do the right thing. And what that particular thing is, only we can know. I had such a bad conscience after firing myself from my last job. I did it, because my boss was a prick and I was not happy working for him at all. But I liked most of my Co-workers and the job itself, or rather the seeming security it gave.

In the end, this was the best decision! I basically make the same money, but chose my own hours, and I am working for the television/news. Always something to see. I have absolutely no schooling in this job and yet I learned everything faster than my co-workers. I just had to kick myself in the ass for the first six months. After three months or so everything got much easier. And you know - happy people can share happiness with those around them. I'm happy to have work and people at work are happy to see me. Instead of give, give, give it's more of a give and live situation now. A lot is demanded of me and I have to work on weekends and the nightshifts, but this is really good! I'd been in the loop for almost two years unemployed or in short, shitty jobs. I didn't get government support at first, because I fired myself. Apparently that is a no-go. Later, I didn't want it, but had to accept some kind of help. If you'd asked me on the lowest point of that journey, where I saw myself in ten years, I would have said "dead". If you ask me today, I'll say: "not sure, but I'll definately be happy about it!" The brain is such a strange device. Don't let yours fool you into thinking too small of yourself. You're a great guy from what I can tell. Being a family man is a big responsibility, so I'm wishing you good luck with that!

Also: hopefully you'll get the Pc fixed, soon :)

Edited by S3V3N

The old anything errors.  Could be software, hardware, PSU (especially older ones where you use adapters to hook to 6pins), even the pci port itself.  Bios maybe?  I don't think its the card because it worked before the MB fail.

19 hours ago, S3V3N said:

Just remember this: bad people are always doing great ^^

If you're doing too good in life you're probably just stealing from the poor ;) I'm not religious, but I do believe if there was a god he'd want us to do the right thing. And what that particular thing is, only we can know. I had such a bad conscience after firing myself from my last job. I did it, because my boss was a prick and I was not happy working for him at all. But I liked most of my Co-workers and the job itself, or rather the seeming security it gave.

In the end, this was the best decision! I basically make the same money, but chose my own hours, and I am working for the television/news. Always something to see. I have absolutely no schooling in this job and yet I learned everything faster than my co-workers. I just had to kick myself in the ass for the first six months. After three months or so everything got much easier. And you know - happy people can share happiness with those around them. I'm happy to have work and people at work are happy to see me. Instead of give, give, give it's more of a give and live situation now. A lot is demanded of me and I have to work on weekends and the nightshifts, but this is really good! I'd been in the loop for almost two years unemployed or in short, shitty jobs. I didn't get government support at first, because I fired myself. Apparently that is a no-go. Later, I didn't want it, but had to accept some kind of help. If you'd asked me on the lowest point of that journey, where I saw myself in ten years, I would have said "dead". If you ask me today, I'll say: "not sure, but I'll definately be happy about it!" The brain is such a strange device. Don't let yours fool you into thinking too small of yourself. You're a great guy from what I can tell. Being a family man is a big responsibility, so I'm wishing you good luck with that!

Also: hopefully you'll get the Pc fixed, soon :)

Wow, I rarely take solace in an expression of "I know how you feel" but you pretty much hit that one on the head. I wan't smart enough to do it myself and my wife took the imitative to sabotage my "career" before I hurt somebody which brought about it's own resentments but in the end I realized it saved me rather than ruining my life. Making a big change in direction at almost 40 years old is a bit of a struggle but it's making ends meet at this point and having happy customers that I'm solving real problems for is worth way more to me than "getting ahead" burying myself in red ink doing a job that was made up solutions to made up problems working for a lunatic. I also got the therapy I've been needing for twenty something years and found out my wife truly cares about me and not just my earning potential which had been my pattern with women before her.  

17 hours ago, atomquark said:

The old anything errors.  Could be software, hardware, PSU (especially older ones where you use adapters to hook to 6pins), even the pci port itself.  Bios maybe?  I don't think its the card because it worked before the MB fail.

That's pretty much where I'm at, I redid my chipset drivers, ran it on onboard video with no cards, tried it with just the vid card and all unnecessary drives unplugged. I'm just going to shelve the 650 and turn this tower into a word processor. I'll try the 650 again when I start piecing together a new desktop to hold me over and just plain curiosity. I didn't notice at first but the board is AMD chipset, ATI onboard video, and I'm trying to plug in a Nvidia card, I swear I've read there's generations of hardware where ATI and Nvidia stuff will not play nice with each other so maybe that's it?

I played for a few hours on my shitty laptop and with the .60 render improvements it'll be just fine for my off the grid hermit playstyle for the time being.    

Edited by BCBasher

Two things:

1) Do you have another PCI Express card of any kind that you can use to test the slots on the motherboard? It's possible that the PCI slots on the new/used mobo are dead. 

2) Do you have access to another PC that you can slap your Zotac card into to test it?

This is where you need to start. 

What is the make and model of the new motherboard?

Edited by ColdAtrophy

On 20-6-2016 at 5:18 PM, BCBasher said:

Had a bit of a crappy week a couple weeks ago, woke up to a dead back light on one of my matched monitors, went to work and came home to have my computer start freezing every five minutes due to dead caps.

I found a compatible mother board on a local "used" site, did a fresh install of windows and left it alone for three days to do windows updates. I did all my hardware drivers and when I got to my vid card nothing is working, this is the third time I've done a clean install with this card a Zotac 650ti and the last two times I just installed the Nvidia driver package and it worked fine. This time I've uninstalled, reinstalled tried older versions, completely shutting down and waiting instead of just restarting when prompted and nothing is working. I'm getting into windows with the card but it's showing an error 43 in device manager and obviously will not start any games.

Anyone have any tips that aren't in the first ten pages of a google search for "zotac gtx650ti error 43 windows 7"?

Unrelated to your current problems I do have a tip to avoid those "3 day windows 7 updates", go to link below, register and you can always download an updated update pack from the first post. After that you only need the most recent updates that came out after the pack Saves a lot of of time!

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/45005-Simplix-Pack-to-update-Live-Win7-System-Integrate-hotfixes-into-Win7-distribution