Sign in to follow this  
S3V3N

Dayz Gold release + Reliability

So this is the year Dayz is going to be released in... definitely, as far as Bohemia is concerned. However, there are certain problems that have been persistent in Dayz for years now, so I am quite prepared that these problems will never be resolved (like the non-responsive hotbar keys). The thing I wonder the most about: we should already be in Beta by now. In fact Q2/2016 is basically over and the beta hasn't even started.

With a 2016 release this means right now the devs are giving up on beta-time, because the core game is nowhere near complete. However, there are a lot of bugs that need to be dealt with, so even if the game were released in 2016 - how and when would the Beta start? I was hoping - and I am serious about this - that now Tanoa is out, Bohemia would throw every last man and woman into the development of Dayz. I was expecting weekly patches after 0.60 and daily updates. Nothing so far. 

Am I the only one who can see that this is not going to work? If they don't pick up the pace there will never be a 2016 release. And please don't reply to this "let them have the time they need to make the game great!" -> this thread is not about this. It's about the devs making announcements without realistically explaining, how to achieve their goals. In 2014, if you asked the devs the beta was happening in 2015. In 2015 it was 2016. So maybe in 2016 we can finally get clarity about this:

Is Dayz really going golden in 2016 - and if yes, how will this be achieved?

• Like 1

I would be particularly surprised if Day Z was released in 2016, and I would be extremely disappointed.

We are basically already halfway through 2016, and, to be entirely honest, it seems to me like the game isn't even ready for beta, much less a full release.

What systems do we have that are completely finished, and are ready for bugtesting? None of them? Hell, certain mechanics haven't been meaningfully touched in months, if not years. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree. The thing that seems to always gets pushed back is modding. Before beta starts, would modding tools even be considered? I feel like they should be part of the beta. I do think we need clarification about this 2016 release. Like yourself I feel that the game is barely ready for Beta, possibly at the end of this year. However, Bohemia probably wants to put the game out this year, because they have more projects in the pipeline and need the resources. Developing games for ten years is a prerogative of Final Fantasy games ;)

It needs more time, unless something magical happens and we see updates every other week. I'm willing to give the game the time it needs, but I am waiting for a developer statement.

I also don't expect DAYZ SA getting gold in 2016, I didn't think that in 2015...I think it will at least take another 12 months, or at least am prepared for that. I'm not sweating it as long as the game gets really finished.

• Like 1

I'm still thinking that it gets gold in 2017. I didn't see 2016 realistic when the DayZ was released back in Dec. 2013.

The estimation release was 2,5 - 3 years so around June 2016 - December 2016.

I don't really care about the release because I know the game will be developed bit like Arma so the game is bit kind of beta until a sequel comes.

I still think DayZ beta gets released at the end of 2015

kappa, I say.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

I would be particularly surprised if Day Z was released in 2016, and I would be extremely disappointed.

Indeed. If they release beta in 2016, it translates into "we just skipped a lot of content in order to release the game"

It needs more time, unless something magical happens and we see updates every other week. I'm willing to give the game the time it needs, but I am waiting for a developer statement.

This might mean waiting forever. Communication is not what they are best at.

Edited by Noctoras

23 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

This might mean waiting forever. Communication is not what they are best at.

Well it can't be forever - if they don't release in 2016, they will have to speak about it early in 2017. And that's what I'm worried about. Usually Dayz is giving us the info/update after they borked up the release. It would be really nice if for once we could get that info in advance, instead of too late. 

9 hours ago, S3V3N said:

So this is the year Dayz is going to be released in... definitely, as far as Bohemia is concerned. However, there are certain problems that have been persistent in Dayz for years now, so I am quite prepared that these problems will never be resolved (like the non-responsive hotbar keys). The thing I wonder the most about: we should already be in Beta by now. In fact Q2/2016 is basically over and the beta hasn't even started.

With a 2016 release this means right now the devs are giving up on beta-time, because the core game is nowhere near complete. However, there are a lot of bugs that need to be dealt with, so even if the game were released in 2016 - how and when would the Beta start? I was hoping - and I am serious about this - that now Tanoa is out, Bohemia would throw every last man and woman into the development of Dayz. I was expecting weekly patches after 0.60 and daily updates. Nothing so far. 

Am I the only one who can see that this is not going to work? If they don't pick up the pace there will never be a 2016 release. And please don't reply to this "let them have the time they need to make the game great!" -> this thread is not about this. It's about the devs making announcements without realistically explaining, how to achieve their goals. In 2014, if you asked the devs the beta was happening in 2015. In 2015 it was 2016. So maybe in 2016 we can finally get clarity about this:

Is Dayz really going golden in 2016 - and if yes, how will this be achieved?

Wow man! This is one of the best posts i have ever seen on this forum. And to see you S3V3N posting this, you have been defending the devs like a fanboy, and now this, good man!

I agree 100% of your post.

Have you guys seen the roadmap for 2015? It feels like a joke! I mean I have been following several mods during my gaming years and they have similar newspost intervalls like this professional devteam?! I mean DayZ went into early access project, but the project got to end, How long does a videogame develop time take?! Bring in your ppl bohemia and get right.

Look at this roadmap for 2015 by Smoss.. gosh!

The DayZ development team in association with Bohemia Interactive would like to announce that having completed our first year of Early Access development, we have reached an important project milestone. Looking forward into the opportunities and obstacles of the coming year, we would like to share our plans and goals for 2015.

These plans change over time, and internally the team has reviewed our progress this year against where we want DayZ to be at 1.0. Compiling this data we have completed a light roadmap based on our experience with the project for the upcoming year, and this is a taste of exciting things to come that we can look forward to.

Q1 2015

Basic vehicles - V3S yes, vehicle maybe

Central economy (advanced loot distribution)

New renderer - Released 15th of June 2016

New Zombie AI - Nope

Basic stealth system (zombies, animals, ...) Nope

Diseases - Almost nope

Q2 2015

Advanced vehicles (repair, modifications, ...) Nope

Advanced animals - life cycle, group behavior Nope, mayve group behaviour

Player statistics - Nope

New UI Stamina / fatigue - UI came with 0.60 in 2016 experimental

Dynamic events - 2016

Q3 2015

Traps - Bearly

Barricading - Nope

Character life span + soft skills - Nope

Animal predators - birds - Nope

Aerial transport - nope

Console prototype - nothing we know of

Q4 2015

BETA version - yes, i mean nope

Animal companions (dog, horse) - nope

Steam community integration (Achievements, Steamworks modding, etc) - nope

Construction (building shelters / walls / ...) - nope

Along with the remaining updates this year you can expect a new price point for DayZ, a slight increase to 27.99 EUR/34.99 USD. - YES, LOL!

This is part of a gradual price change as we progress with the development and reach the goals that we along with your help set for the project. We would like to avoid a sudden increase in price once we hit 1.0. Don`t be discouraged by this increase however, the current price of 23.99 EUR/29.99 USD will still be available during the Steam fall sale. If you want to jump into DayZ, now is a good time.

We are all very excited to announce that the first half of 2016 will introduce our final version and release from early access, with our final price point of 39.99 EUR / 49.99 USD. - BIG NOPE

See you in Chernarus! 2020 - Maybe

Roadmap derailed

Though i enjoy DayZ very much, but what can I say.. Get real?

7 minutes ago, elander said:

Wow man! This is one of the best posts i have ever seen on this forum. And to see you S3V3N posting this, you have been defending the devs like a fanboy, and now this, good man!

Hmm, thanks for the credit, but I've actually been banned from this forum 2x now (a whole month last time). And probably rightfully so, but to call me a fanboy is a bit harsh:p

I am not that interested in seeing all their roadmap goals reached in time, but I have been pleading for a different approach about informing us about the state of the game. It's always been this way and there were big announcements and nothing happened. I just want a realistic timeframe for once. In the final year of development this should become predictable for the devs. 

If I appear to be a fanboy that's because I love this game and the concept, but I'm finding it hard to love the team behind it. I give them credit for creating a beautiful game with 0.60. It has its share of problems, but I'm ready to accept most of them and find a work around. It isn't a predictable environment to create a true sandbox and the scale and options you have in Dayz are unique. I really want to start trusting this development, but in order to do that I need reliability. The main reason why I may appear disgruntled is because I think these devs could be more popular with a few easy tweaks to their communication routines. It puzzles me how and why they refuse to do the right thing.   

Let's forgive them for being a bit over-optimistic about their timeline and move on from here.

All will be good

9 hours ago, S3V3N said:

Hmm, thanks for the credit, but I've actually been banned from this forum 2x now (a whole month last time). And probably rightfully so, but to call me a fanboy is a bit harsh:p

I am not that interested in seeing all their roadmap goals reached in time, but I have been pleading for a different approach about informing us about the state of the game. It's always been this way and there were big announcements and nothing happened. I just want a realistic timeframe for once. In the final year of development this should become predictable for the devs. 

If I appear to be a fanboy that's because I love this game and the concept, but I'm finding it hard to love the team behind it. I give them credit for creating a beautiful game with 0.60. It has its share of problems, but I'm ready to accept most of them and find a work around. It isn't a predictable environment to create a true sandbox and the scale and options you have in Dayz are unique. I really want to start trusting this development, but in order to do that I need reliability. The main reason why I may appear disgruntled is because I think these devs could be more popular with a few easy tweaks to their communication routines. It puzzles me how and why they refuse to do the right thing.   

9 hours ago, Luc Tonnerre said:

Let's forgive them for being a bit over-optimistic about their timeline and move on from here.

All will be good

I've edited this post for beeing too judgemental. However a last comment from me, sometimes the reality be hard enough when you look look back..

Edited by elander

I do understand you Elander, but you are taking the topic into a direction I didn't mean to take. I don't want to be judgemental, I'd just like to be better informed. Why is it always such a heckle to get to the bits of useful information? Why do we have to always ask and ask again only to be given pieces of information we're unable to put together? I can't understand how Dayz will reach Beta soon with so much left to do. What are the updated plans now that we have 0.60, even though it came a bit late? Surely they can't hope to start the beta as soon as they hoped to. That's okay for me, but when will be we informed about when things are going to happen? How can development be sped up? I'd really like to play the full game in 2016 and I hope the best for it. But I simply can't see this happening right now.  

Edited by S3V3N

I certainly understand the frustration but what's there to discuss about? The way I see it the devs are well aware about their current progress and their wishful thinking regarding their timelines in the past.

After 0,60. Stable the game is prettt damn good if you ask me. Ofc a lot to iron out, but certainly brought one player back after a year!

6 hours ago, Calvin Candie said:

After 0,60. Stable the game is prettt damn good if you ask me. Ofc a lot to iron out, but certainly brought one player back after a year!

Sure its nice but its true what S3v3n writes. A lot of stuff is in but not finished and even more stuff we havent even seen yet. It may well be true what the devs say all the time about first we gotta do this before we can do that but it just that its taking such a long long time. And what is really the point of having a roadmap if the goals set up arent met? Might as well just have a list of stuff to do and no date for it being done. I hope the game gets to Beta this year but when I play today and encounter bugs and glitches that have been in the game since I started playing it at release I am also starting to wonder.

8 hours ago, S3V3N said:

I do understand you Elander, but you are taking the topic into a direction I didn't mean to take. I don't want to be judgemental, I'd just like to be better informed. Why is it always such a heckle to get to the bits of useful information? Why do we have to always ask and ask again only to be given pieces of information we're unable to put together? I can't understand how Dayz will reach Beta soon with so much left to do. What are the updated plans now that we have 0.60, even though it came a bit late? Surely they can't hope to start the beta as soon as they hoped to. That's okay for me, but when will be we informed about when things are going to happen? How can development be sped up? I'd really like to play the full game in 2016 and I hope the best for it. But I simply can't see this happening right now.  

Yes, I can see that now, sorry. I've edited my second post, (damage done?) Sorry for the hijack.

Lastly, i agree with your posts, I hope the developers takes a look at your first post.

• Like 1

The funny part is that, Hicks has gone through that road map and looks at it very differnent than nope, nope, nope, quite the opposite. They actually have implemented many of them, in very basic form, at different times. They have had trouble keeping them in or merging without bug over load. Bug smashing is wasted time until all the features are complete and Enscript is complete. It's been a strange development, they get something done and it disappears or is done and is blocked and waiting. Re-writing the engine never sounded easy, but they will get there. Very complicated production, and scheduling must be a nightmare. 

I think beta will be close at the end of the year, once player controller is in things will roll a little better. But who knows how getting it in will go, that could take awhile, I don't know. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coheed_IV said:

The funny part is that, Hicks has gone through that road map and looks at it very differnent than nope, nope, nope, quite the opposite. They actually have implemented many of them, in very basic form, at different times. They have had trouble keeping them in or merging without bug over load. Bug smashing is wasted time until all the features are complete and Enscript is complete. It's been a strange development, they get something done and it disappears or is done and is blocked and waiting. Re-writing the engine never sounded easy, but they will get there. Very complicated production, and scheduling must be a nightmare. 

I think beta will be close at the end of the year, once player controller is in things will roll a little better. But who knows how getting it in will go, that could take awhile, I don't know. 

I disagree with you, beta will not come in the end of this year with the current staff. It seems to me as if around 5 persons are working with dayz and not full time, and Brian is more like the visionary and not a technical developer.

But ofc I hope that you are right!

• Like 1

Since it isn't a factor of money, and we have a new base engine. I would estimate it being q2-4 of 2017 and we may just start to enter beta.

I know more is being improved on, and i dont want to agree with elander's last statement here, in hopes that it moves forward.

but...... we will see, when we see.

I'm with elander on this one... At this point (with the overall project delay), believing that we'll get a declared, feature complete beta, is unfortunately borderline delusional.

All the "nope" features in the above post commenting the roadmap are kind of "grand" and I don't see them appearing out of nowhere between updates. Basic implementations, elaborated later, is what I'm expecting.

Then again, the developers claim that many systems are already in place, just waiting to be switched on when blockers are removed, but I've seen little evidence (I could be ill-informed).

Disclaimer: I have no emotions regarding the matter, just want people to get real. 

On 6/20/2016 at 11:12 AM, S3V3N said:

In fact Q2/2016 is basically over and the beta hasn't even started.

They will just make up new excuses like: AAA games take 15 years to finish, we are in development only 2 months (because everything before .60 doesnt count), or road map is not written in stone, or we never said beta in 2016. Or things like that.