Sign in to follow this  
Evilsausage

So whats the deal with the Zombies?

I was hugh fan of the mod, it was so awsome because i had never played anything quite like it when it came.
The mod was by no means perfect and standalone certainly has improved some things. But the mod atleast had Zombies that could be a threat.

The mod system where zombies spawn near players was a bit weird and far from perfect but atleast it ment you could face lots of undead.
Currently Zombies are just such meh...they have little or no impact in the game.
If Zombies actaully where a threat it would mean weapons actually would have more use then just for PVP. Why not go back to the old system until you have found a better solution.

Currently in the game the only threats is A, Other players, B, bugs or C, your unlucky and you don't find any food/water. Its called DayZ. No wonder its KoS, people want to use their weapon on something.
But if zombies actually was a factor, who knows, people might be more careful at spending their ammo.

Does anyone have any idea on how they plan to solve the issues. I heard they talked about Hordes, etc... but will it ever be possible?

Watch this video dude, this is in the current 0.6 update.

Devs have talked about this.  Hordes are coming, along with better ffunctional zombies- they have already fixed them going through doors and hitting miles away, they can run in interiors, meleeing them is a lot more responsive (they stagger back and stuff), and they can climb over walls and fences now(you can see this in the video).

Just wait man, in the future, we're gonna experience running from 50+ zeds down a street in Cherno..

Edited by MrJoe (DayZ)
Bla

Well that is a special case not something that happens often in 0.6. I have at most come across like 3 zombies at the same time in 0.6.

Yes I know devs talked about it like 2 years ago, but when its taking so long why not keep the old until they fix stuff.
Dunno how long that wait will be though, stuff isn't exacly happening fast in DayZ. I try to appereciate DayZ for what they have fixed, still the game is kinda boring because it lacks other threats then players.

Hi,

I agree about the very little influence of the actual Z's, but I saw an improvement in the effectiveness of their general behaviour and some better management of the clipping and line of sight issues that make the Z's capable to see through the walls.

This could hopefuly mean an imminent change that will make the infected more dangerous and a serious problem to manage survival.

If you think Zs aren't a problem, try creeping around Myshkino tents at night while trying to save your ammo. I was genuinely a bit shocked last night when I was crouched in a tent, waiting for a Z to pass by, and then he walked into the tent...

I agree that there probably aren't enough of them, but the quality is on the up IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

Why not go back to the old system until you have found a better solution.

Yes I know devs talked about it like 2 years ago, but when its taking so long why not keep the old until they fix stuff.

I want that the money get into DayZ SA 1.0 and not into some temporary solutions.

13 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

Does anyone have any idea on how they plan to solve the issues.

Focus on DayZ SA 1.0 and not on temporary solutions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mookie (original) said:

If you think Zs aren't a problem, try creeping around Myshkino tents at night while trying to save your ammo. I was genuinely a bit shocked last night when I was crouched in a tent, waiting for a Z to pass by, and then he walked into the tent...

I agree that there probably aren't enough of them, but the quality is on the up IMO.

Are not a big problem, especially if you got some silent or low noise weapon.

Yesterday morning I was going around Zeleno with a Trumpet (found one with an hunting scope already attached) and I decided to make some firing practice. I have shot down something like a 20 of those things, someone in small groups of 2 to 3, and only in some case I was endangered by Z's going too close to me. I repeated the exercise in Mishkhino camp shooting another 10 but wasting some more ammo because the higher protection of the military undead, all in all the global Z's behaviour seems too smart than the previous game version, quality has been improved for sure.

I hope we are near to have a greater number of infected and roaming into all the territory, just to don't be bored during the long transfers from a town to another.

PS: Trumpet is a very good weapon to chase Z's and don't get the aggro on you. The head shot is always a death sentence.

21 hours ago, NoCheats said:

I want that the money get into DayZ SA 1.0 and not into some temporary solutions.

Focus on DayZ SA 1.0 and not on temporary solutions.

What difference does it make? Both are temporary solutions and neither requires more work then the other because both already exist.
They had the mod system, then moved over to this system, which currently doesn't work...BECAUSE THERE ARE LIKE NO ZOMBIES!

Then they might aswell have kept the old system and implemented the new system when its possible.

I was going to post something similar myself, started playing a bit of dayz again after quite a break. The mod was awesome buggy mess but still awesome (good god that inventory system!!) One of things that made the game was the challenge, zombies were a right royal pain in the ass, no gun lots of sneaky, it was tense. I used to hang back from my group and was a spotter for zombies and players a like, the zombies created a need for a bit of team work. With the mod there was only a few places to get gear, so the danger of players and zombie fun was much higher.

Currently, like OP said its PVP or pretty much nowt after basic bit of looting to get the essentials and top up food and drink. It's quite sad in a way, I know WIP but still you run north run into a town loot and continue on no real challenge. Shove zombies in each town and the game takes a bit more of thought, weighing up the pros and cons of going into a town.

the old system of creating zombies as you near a town was bit poo and let's face it a cheat to save on server bandwidth etc.. But it gave you a constant problem which enhanced the game. Zombies have slowly but surely got better so I have high hopes. I don't see any need now to bring that system back concentrate on server wide zombies.

i shot some zombies the other day and it was so meh, my weapon hit and it felt like I hit it with a wet trout.  I am seriouslylooking forward   to when the z is put back into dayz, cause the game will go back to the top of my play list.

Time to give those z's some love, come on devs lets see a big push for em soon, they were mentioned in status update so yay. Even though it's been mentioned a few times and nothing of note has happened for quite a while.

fingers crossed

The zombies will be worked on more when other things are finished such as the new Eden Sound system, and the Player Controller. Also, damn it people, the Z in DayZ means zero not zombies.

I hope we get player handled zombies to increase the numbers like the mod. The current zombies should be took out they're that bad, they can attack you from 5 meters away. and there's no collision between player and zombie. cant even push or dropkick them. Should  have about 4000 on the whole map.

On 6/19/2016 at 3:06 PM, Evilsausage said:

Does anyone have any idea on how they plan to solve the issues. I heard they talked about Hordes, etc... but will it ever be possible?

Quite possibly.

I went trough Dubky and part of Cherno and saw only one zombie. In that time I found 5 or 6 weapons.

Some patches they are completely turned off by the devs, in others the amount are a bit overwhelming, and in some it's somewhere in between. Right now they seem to be kept at a minimum in most areas, but from time to time you run into an area that has quite a few of them. My guess is they are attracted by gunshots and sort of pool on the area the shot came from. They are obviously experimenting with the "zombie slider", which is what, you know, an alpha is for. Why they are as scarce as they are right now? Who knows, probably performance issues or testing.

Edited by anderswhk

i think we can say that the infected are the main feature in this game, so BI will probably release an update of the infected AI in beta.

i remember when the infected was really hard, i think it was something around 0.49, when they was running really fast and saw u on distances of 200m. every one was complaining about that. BI then switched back to "normal" or completely turned off infected later.

now, everybody is complaining about too few or bugged infected. hmmm

let them do their work and see what comes out at 1.0