SMoss

Stable Branch - 0.60 Discussion

Anyone else notice when approaching your camp that military tents are visible as white boxes from quite a distance away?  Makes concealment difficult.

I want to say how much I like the new renderer! Possibly some people had a better viewing distance in the old renderer, but I always had ~3500 meters set. Now, the new renderer renders...everything. I feel much more like part of the map. And the lighting, the colors look much more rich than before! Really good. So there are a few problems loading the different LOD models, but there are fewer pop-ups for me than before and transitions look good. Except for the odd tree that will sometimes pop in with his cardbord model. 

I'm still worried about the progress of the game. Somehow I expected 0.61 yesterday, because predators and horde AI was showcased last year and the audio is Tanoa's system, so nothing completely new. My big hope was that we'd see bi-weekly updates. Some games I play have updates every day and they have a beta branch on top of that. Dayz just keeps its reputation as an underdog. It doesn't want to be hyped, because substantially it wants to be an honest game. How frustrating it must be to get accused all the time of diverging too much from the mod. When I'm playing Dayz I'm thinking: yes! this is the game I want to play! I know it's not there yet, and I know it's all PvP, but honestly at some point the mod was always just PvP for me, too. Of course you had your buddies, but you can't be friends with everyone. That would be hilarious though.

But my staying complaint is that there aren't enough updates. I'm annoyed at myself for repeating this, but I have to. It is too important. If Dayz ever want to shake off that underdog status, it has to go full in. These updates have to come like lightning now. If you see media coverage about Dayz repeatedly over the course of several weeks, you have to get that this is a special and great game! And the thing is: people keep saying Dayz isn't for everyone. I am convinced the opposite is the case. First of all, even the vanilla Dayz experience is not comparable to anything else I've played. And I've played Life is Feudal and other "hardcore" survival games. The island, The Long Dark etc. All are cool, but nothing is like Dayz. The almost total freedom you have was something that attracted me to the very first Arma. And it feels less and less simulated. Less rigid and better animated. Secondly, there is modding. I can imagine everything from a camping simulator to a flying school for dogs will be modded into the game. No limits - with decent support.

I've got to tip my hat to Bohemia for everything they've brought to gaming, since Operation Flashpoint. Not only have they been the first to load this massive battlefield as a map, but they also were lucky enough to re-invent the zombie-genre on the way. To me, this is one of the few big studios that live up to the legacy of (old)iD or Blizzard. These studios turned the tables too, but the difference is they were huuuuugely successful with it in their time. So I wonder why Bohemia still doesn't push this game more and explore the unique selling points of Dayz. They showed with Tanoa that they can deliver beautiful environments. So there will be dlc. And from what I can tell so far Dayz has a far superior AI pathfinding than anything Arma ever had. So it will be more challenging. And the stuff the community will come up with is going to be pure fun. All this superlong post is about seems to be that I really can't wait for the game to release. Could have written that shorter, but uh nevermind.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

But my staying complaint is that there aren't enough updates. I'm annoyed at myself for repeating this, but I have to. It is too important. If Dayz ever want to shake off that underdog status, it has to go full in. These updates have to come like lightning now. If you see media coverage about Dayz repeatedly over the course of several weeks, you have to get that this is a special and great game! And the thing is: people keep saying Dayz isn't for everyone. I am convinced the opposite is the case. First of all, even the vanilla Dayz experience is not comparable to anything else I've played. And I've played Life is Feudal and other "hardcore" survival games. The island, The Long Dark etc. All are cool, but nothing is like Dayz. The almost total freedom you have was something that attracted me to the very first Arma. And it feels less and less simulated. Less rigid and better animated. Secondly, there is modding. I can imagine everything from a camping simulator to a flying school for dogs will be modded into the game. No limits - with decent support.

I've been saying that since the start. Other Alphas at the time (Project CARS is probably a good example) were putting updates out daily/weekly, which sometimes broke the game and sometimes didn't, but it was comforting to know that there would be a quick fix. In DayZ, a "fix" never seems to come and if it does, it can be nearly guaranteed that something else will be broken by fixing one component. 

I don't care that I'm not a game designer and that people think my opinion is tosh, I'm a different type of designer & if I put out this sort of thing to my customers, I wouldn't have a job. DayZ has tarnished the early access tag for me & has also really proven how much the games industry gets away with things currently. 

It bothers me a chance. when you walk you make from 40 to 140 fps .. when you're driving in the city do 12 fps! and I do not know how they can add another 30 40 fps to make it playable even when driving

56 minutes ago, imunone said:

eeeehm... someone can confirm this?

That's not even the 0.60 renderer, as far as I can tell. I don't know how they got the guy to hold a backpack like in 0.60, but this is probably an in-editor shot made from ripped assets. What's puzzling is that I don't think I've seen these tent assets before, at all. Maybe they just modeled them themselves, if so they fit pretty well into the game. 

Played a few hours last night same server sprinting everywhere and according to my thermometer I'm still at 35c but no sign of being cold. All my other statuses are updating normally again though. 

8 hours ago, krisfx said:

I've been saying that since the start. Other Alphas at the time (Project CARS is probably a good example) were putting updates out daily/weekly, which sometimes broke the game and sometimes didn't, but it was comforting to know that there would be a quick fix. In DayZ, a "fix" never seems to come and if it does, it can be nearly guaranteed that something else will be broken by fixing one component. 

I don't care that I'm not a game designer and that people think my opinion is tosh, I'm a different type of designer & if I put out this sort of thing to my customers, I wouldn't have a job. DayZ has tarnished the early access tag for me & has also really proven how much the games industry gets away with things currently. 

Wow , comparing an open world survival game with ai zombies and animals  , 60 players per server , and thousands of different things you can possibly do on that server, with a small scale racing simulator . I don't even know where to begin ....

There's a reason why people think your ideas are "tosh" . People nag about the games speed yet the developers have been getting more and more transparent with their progress , and on top of that people compare this game to other games that are so small scale it's a joke to even mention them in the same sentence .

It's like programming pac-man compared to making the first MMO on pc ; they are both games but one takes FAR MORE WORK to make complete, becuase the scope and replayability is much greater with the latter . Some people understand that , most never will until they get their hands on the final product and regret all the criticism they had that was based on poor comparisons of completely different game  developement !

if you never said "tarnished early access with this title " I probably wouldn't have laid the truth on so hard , but fact of the matter is gamers are spoiled now adays with shitty console games , this game promises to be fun for years to come and has stated sooooo many times that it expects to be a 3 year development cycle for alpha , we are only 2 years and 7 months into alpha , so chill out and please stop crying wolf about tarnishing EA , Cuz this is the most successful early access game Ive ever played , not to mention the most fun early access game I've ever played .

Edited by blackberrygoo
  • Like 4

Had a interesting rubber banding incident. I logged in at Nizhnoye, made my way to Dubrovka. Had been playing about an hour and a half or so. I had just exited a house and began rubber banding back into the house, then back outside maybe 20 or 30 meters from the house. This happened 3 times. The 4th time I rubber banded out of the house I was back to where I logged in at Nizhnoye. I thought to myself, " Hmm, now there is something you don't see everyday." Just as I was about to say a bad word, I was back outside the house at Dubrovka. The rest of the play went fine after that. Never had that happen before, and has not happened since. This was about a week ago. Anyone else ever rubber banded ( i guess that is what this is considered ) several miles?

Anybody finding CR527 mags? I keep hoping to stumble across one in a CR527 but so far no luck.

10 hours ago, S3V3N said:

Somehow I expected 0.61 yesterday, because predators and horde AI was showcased last year and the audio is Tanoa's system, so nothing completely new.

We're not getting horde AI (horde AI was in .55 experimental coupled with endless respawn for testing), we are getting dynamic infected spawn.

2 very different mechanics.

Where the fuck are some people getting the idea that infected WON'T be everywhere?

Do you really think we were supposed to have this few infected on the map and the only difference in .61 is that they will horde in the few places they are concentrated?

-_-

1 hour ago, ebrim said:

Anybody finding CR527 mags? I keep hoping to stumble across one in a CR527 but so far no luck.

I found one.

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎23 at 9:38 PM, Coheed_IV said:

The funny part is that, Hicks has gone through that road map and looks at it very differnent than nope, nope, nope, quite the opposite. They actually have implemented many of them, in very basic form, at different times. They have had trouble keeping them in or merging without bug over load. Bug smashing is wasted time until all the features are complete and Enscript is complete. It's been a strange development, they get something done and it disappears or is done and is blocked and waiting. Re-writing the engine never sounded easy, but they will get there. Very complicated production, and scheduling must be a nightmare. 

I think beta will be close at the end of the year, once player controller is in things will roll a little better. But who knows how getting it in will go, that could take awhile, I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, thEchicagoBoy said:

I found one.

I've found two, no rounds however :/ No calm bear :/

Edited by elander

23 minutes ago, elander said:

I've found two, no rounds however :/ No calm bear :/

Rounds can be found at deer stands, random houses or tents as far as I know.

34 minutes ago, thEchicagoBoy said:

Rounds can be found at deer stands, random houses or tents as far as I know.

Rounds for the 527 are the standard 7.62x39 so can be found in military areas as well. The last couple of 527s I've found were in those hunter cabins (log cabins with dark grey sides and light brown ends with blue window highlights.) Also finding good stuff in hunting related clothing in stands and the same hunter cabins. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1

Also... My status updates have stopped entirely. Is it time to give my mosin a blowjob or can I fix it somehow? My dude needs to feel things again!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ebrim said:

Also... My status updates have stopped entirely. Is it time to give my mosin a blowjob or can I fix it somehow? My dude needs to feel things again!

Sometimes it stalls... just stay drenched and hydrated and be prepared for hyperthermia. 

I have readed somewhere that u can use chicken guts to cool faster.

-Kill chicken

-skin it

-wait for guts to show blue icon ( it's red when its still hot)

-Put it in your inventory and should work as a reverse heat-pack

Havent tested it myself yet but several guys said it worked

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveB said:

I have readed somewhere that u can use chicken guts to cool faster.

-Kill chicken

-skin it

-wait for guts to show blue icon ( it's red when its still hot)

-Put it in your inventory and should work as a reverse heat-pack

Havent tested it myself yet but several guys said it worked

WOBO has adamantly dismissed this rumor in his recent video about the overheating. I don't have the link to it but it shouldn't be hard to find. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

We're not getting horde AI (horde AI was in .55 experimental coupled with endless respawn for testing), we are getting dynamic infected spawn.

Both systems were showcased. The horde AI with the infected demo and the predator (or horde AI) with the wolves. I doubt the infected horde AI will use a different system, but rather just different parameters. Essentially this has to be the same system that spawns deer now, or based on it. I can't say where they will place spawns, but I doubt they'll place masses of infected in the cities when the frames there aren't stable. Maybe for testing and hopefully later! I would not mind tons of infected in the new patch, just to stress-test the spawning and interaction. I don't really know what the infected numbers are right now, either. All I know is I need more :) Hope for the best!

Edited by S3V3N

47 minutes ago, S3V3N said:

-snip- All I know is I need more :) Hope for the best!

Amen, man.

The horde AI hasn't been discussed in a very long time though we saw a very early demo of it.

How the infected actually spawn in will be tied to the "dynamic AI spawn system" (separate from the horde/hive mind system), which has certainly not been showcased for infected (maybe for chickens injected with script in .60 was a theory of mine) and will need very different, complicated, and specific parameters to function properly from animal spawns.

As long as we preserve performance, there will/should be A LOT of infected in cities IMO.

Any place formerly inhabited by people on DayZero should have a good chance for infected.

If you don't see infected acting and reacting in packs, horde ain't in.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, S3V3N said:

That's not even the 0.60 renderer, as far as I can tell. I don't know how they got the guy to hold a backpack like in 0.60, but this is probably an in-editor shot made from ripped assets. What's puzzling is that I don't think I've seen these tent assets before, at all. Maybe they just modeled them themselves, if so they fit pretty well into the game. 

"In-editor shot made from ripped assets"... aye. It is a 0.60 screenshot, quite obviously. Those tents have been showcased. GL getting all that hide tho.

Lonely out there... played for 2-1/2 hours on UN servers. Saw a total of one (1) player from whom I took some gear.

Hello
P4wcAVQ.jpg?1

Come to think of it, I saw only a single infected as well.

Paced out the distance of the left three rows of silhouette targets at the Tisy military base firing range. They're placed at approximately 100, 250 and 300 m.

Edited by -Gews-

Over at Vybor base today, grabbed a mil tent and had my ruck in hand.  I aggroed a zed and drew him in a building with the intention of shutting him in.  Missed the door, he didn't miss me.  Finally got him locked in and I am bleeding.  For some stupid reason it seemed like a good idea to use a sewing kit instead of a bandage.  I haven't gotten sick from this in awhile, so wth.  Immediately I start getting sick and then getting warnings that my wounds are itchy.  Uh-oh.  I run down to where I wanted to place the tent and do so, I then download all my gear since I am sick and the color in my vision is going fast.  I try bandaging again, this just wastes a bandage so I run up to the nearest ville and start looking for some disinfectant, maybe I can disinfect a bandage and fix my wounds that way.  Then I get a "my wounds are infected" warning.  Vision getting even more washed out.  I run to the water pump and make myself sick.  This staves it off but in a short while I am getting "my wounds are seriously infected" warnings and things like "I feel warm" but my status indicator does not show hot or over heating.  Status indicator is also a bit wonky during all this, my hydration level would go up and down and back up again with out drinking anything, sick indicator would come on and off, never stayed steady state, making myself puke seemed to stave off the worst of the infection but I have no way of knowing if this was really true or not.   I am getting worried I am going to pass out, naturally I can't find a disinfectant bottle ANYWHERE, but finally I find a tincture of alcohol.  Took it in hand and used the "clean wounds" option.  PHEW, that was close call.  I am now right as rain, still haven't gotten back to healthy but the color is back in my vision and I haven't had to puke for quite a while now.. 

• Like 1