SMoss

Stable Branch - 0.60 Discussion

Just now, Mookie (original) said:

Build your fires in the fireplaces in houses... Haven't tried in 0.6 but used to work well, and it's what they're for.

2 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Pick it up and move it around a bit, making them on a floor inside or at the base of a tree has always had a kind of sweetspot it's got to be to work. I haven't really tried since the rains came back though and am not sure if the fact that you can visually see rain inside buildings means it's really raining inside though.

Thank you for the tips!,  I think you should be able to make a fire in places like a garage anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wili said:

Thank you for the tips!,  I think you should be able to make a fire in places like a garage anyway.

As far as I recall you can/could but they have to be pretty much perfectly centered on the floor, the bigger the shed or garage the better.

I'm going to log in in a few and have some chicken I need to cook so I will try it.

2 hours ago, Thurman Merman said:

DayZ is at a real rough patch right now IMO.  While there are obviously a lot of improvements over the last several patches, it's just leaving me cold.  As others have mentioned the server list just starts me off in a bad mood.  But it's not just buggy alpha stuff that's sticking in my craw.  In the old days, there were many different things to do (or maybe I'm just remembering the best of several different patches and needlessly whining).  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's just seeming more boring to me.  I understand the idea behind making things more difficult, but that just mean life's a drag, not that it's hard to stay alive: when is the last time anyone died of exposure, hunger, sickness, or environmental injury (zombies, a legitimate fall [not desync + stairs = death])?  Where's the victory or sense of accomplishment?

I know this doesn't really make sense; and if Bohemia got swallowed by a black hole tomorrow, I got more than my money's worth of good times in DayZ.  But, it's just leaving me cold lately.  And I can't quite put my finger on it - anyone else?

I have to agree. There has yet to be a good balance of hardships and just flat out... grindyness. Also I played the game way too mcuh to be impressed by just framerate fixes. The game is definitely improving every patch tho.

I was actually scared for the first time in a long time when I saw some zombies jump over the fence chasing me. That totally put me off guard despite me hjaving read about it in the past. Can't wait for hordes. But most of all I look forward to bicycles, new player controller and some more dynamic in the gameplay. Bigger player numbers. Better camps. Looking for some adventures again, I loved the exploring part of Dayz before I knew the map by heart.

Currently I recommend all my friends asking to wait at least 6 months or rather until some more gamechanging patches have made it to stable as the gameplay is still so incomplete.

Edited by Buakaw
  • Like 5

Wanna make Dayz hard?

Make zombies kill players in one or two hits.

That'll toughen things up and it'll make players truly afraid of them. Make them a real threat to be taken out or avoided completely, instead of just a minor nuisance.

Edited by Tonyeh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonyeh said:

Wanna make Dayz hard?

Make zombies kill players in one or two hits.

That'll toughen things up and it'll make players truly afraid of them. Make them a real threat to be taken out or avoided completely, instead of just a minor nuisance.

And then imagine getting your ass wiped down just by desync.

"Oh hey, there is one zombie 100 meters away from me".... 5 seconds later - You are dead.

• Like 4

I could make a fire inside a church yesterday.

I did get that same annoying "it is not safe here" message before though. Was it inside a white shed with the big opening in the front? I used to be able to make fires there, but no more. We've been playing catch with cow steaks yesterday. We threw them at each other and who found his first was the winner ^^ How they flew was pretty unpredicatable, but it didn't look too bad. Still - we get 60+ frames and 1000+ desync ^^

I also ran a truck through Novodmitrovsk and Severograd. It was crazy to watch the infected climb over fences and vault over walls just to get at me. It's just funny that they are completely harmless to a driver + vehicle. Still looks cool though. I could do with a lot more of these guys. The most terrifying thing at the moment is hearing them somewhere and then seeing them somewhere else - mostly right in front of you, charging.

I wonder why Cernaya Polana has so many zombies. Probably because it is part of Novod, but there seem to be proportionally more there than elsewhere. Had a lot of fun there yesterday. I really can't wait for a horde. Having 1-5 infected chase behind me is managable, but 15-20 would already be quite difficult. What I dislike most about them in the standalone is how stealth doesn't do anything for you. In the mods I was playing much stealthier in the towns whereas in SA I just waltz right through in a straight line.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

Where can I find chest holster?

Thanks! That reminded me of the other thing I can't find ^^ Are there any pistol holsters spawning? the only ones I found are for the plate vest. Also, has anyone tried if you can put a Glock with flashlight into a holster now?

• Like 1

I found a holster. I think it was in a garage. The character died though. First he broke his legs on a bus  and when I finally got them fixed(didnt have any rags cus they got ruined) he got sick from some bad chicken he ate. So he ended it all with his Carbine .  Didnt try a glock with flashlight, sorry.

As for Zeds being stronger. In the famine patch of 0.55 they made zeds faster, strike harder and took more hits to take down. It was the only time I have ever seen them as a threat. BRING THIS BACK! It was frikking awesome. The rest of that patch wasnt so good though so only the zeds plz.

• Like 3

I've seen a couple of holsters too.

I think hunting is borked. :-/  logged in on my coffee break and ran into a bunch of deer.  one ran away and the rest gave no fucks that I was there.  I killed 2 with my magnum and stopped there because 2 pelts was all I could carry.  logged out in a shed right beside where the deer were.  logged in after work and they were still there, and still gave no fucks about me.  I'd dropped my gun to make room for steaks so I killed the last 3 with my cooking pot. XD  since I couldn't carry any more stuff (sorry deer, killed you for nothing, I'm an asshole) I hid the bodies.  they dissolved into the ground immediately.  annnd my ankle snapped.  just standing there beside the dissolving deer bodies.  alpha.

I did see some other deer yesterday that ran away properly, so this might be an anomaly, but that's half my animal encounters so far.

I've played 0.60 for about ten hours or so now...and I must say that from a gameplay perspective my reaction has been...well...

kwyJSql.gif

I loathe the new loot changes. I hate the face that nothing seems to spawn on the coast and you have to move inland to find anything relevant or useful. All I've been doing is making a beeline for NWAF or Veresnik and seeing how many fights or kills I can get before I die and start over again. The frames are great, and it is legitimately wonderful to be able to set things to "High" and enjoy the looks of the game. It's neat that weapons can spawn with attachments on them or that items can spawn in other items...

But from a gameplay perspective...I think that Bohemia is making a HUGE MISTAKE in how they have this game play out. Instead of having zones where loot takes different varieties or forms or whatever, they need to do what I've been saying for ages now. 

Spread out spawns all across the map. Do not have huge zones where items spawn at varying levels of usefulness. Encourage people to move from town to town without having a general direction in mind. Right now, DayZ has become even MORE focused on deathmatch! All there is to do is "Spawn, get to NWAF as fast as possible, kill kill kill." If you spawn on the coast and the goal is to reach NWAF, which is clearly the drive of the loot system now, why would you ever go past that point? Why bother making all these cool and interesting towns to the north and up in the northwest when they exist behind the NWAF where all the best loot and action is.

Loot is so pathetic on the coast, the large cities like Cherno, Electro, and other towns are seemingly pointless to exist around. It also makes it even more advantageous for people who have made it up to the NWAF or far inland to come back to deathmatch at the coast with an even larger advantage over newer spawns since they have such a harder time getting weapons and ammunition.

There are good things about 0.60, but after all the months that have gone by...I am left incredibly, immensely disappointed. Oh, well. At least I can shoot people with better FPS now. That's something. I guess.

I wish that zombies would do more shit... like, they used to ruin clothing items and break bones and cause massive damage with just a few hits. Now you can get pummeled by 20 zombies for minutes straight and walk it off. I remember Alt-tabbing to look up something on Google chrome, coming back in and finding that a zombie had sucker punched my full-gear character and was unconscious and getting knocked out every time he tried to get up, eventually being killed by 1 zombie. Zombies don't even ruin clothes now like wtf?

There's NO reason to go to the northeast, Novo, NEAF are ghost towns, and even though I'm not the type to suicide my spawns, the greatest threat to my survival on a Novo spawn seems to be dying of boredom. I dunno if it's because the linear path that players are forced to take to get better gear or what, but yeah... game feels less gritty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, igor-vk said:

Where can I find chest holster?

just found one in novo clock tower

note: I closed the door to the tower when I entered, to keep zeds out.  when I was done searching the tower and went to leave... NONE of the doors would open again.  relogged.  nope.  had to go to a different server where the doors were open.

On 6/19/2016 at 7:53 AM, S3V3N said:
On 6/19/2016 at 7:08 AM, serelaw said:

Lost 3 players gear. Bambi each time.

What the fuck. Lost the will to keep gearing up and playing.

Ok I still play but "What the Fuck"?

You know what? I have been playing every day and didn't lose anything I had on my character, even once. I play on one server, make camps and don't server-hop. Whereas a friend, who plays the opposite style and server-hops at military installations has lost his shoes, pants...everything several times over. Did it ever occur to you that this bug may actually be the answer to preventing server-hopping? I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen if you play on your favorite server all the time. Of course, it should be possible to change servers, but I actually like the idea of random penalties for doing it. Lost your pants on the way to another server? Deal with it ;)

What is a bit annoying is when the server crashes while I am managing the camp inventory. Basically, everytime this happened I'm losing some of my best gear. 

You know what?  Nobody that lost gear,which there are many of us, cares that you have not lost any gear.

I do not care how you play either.

Yes it has occurred to us about preventing hoppers.

I lost gear by joining too soon after a restart.

I lost gear after the server restarted at 11:40 CMT

I lost gear after my game crashed and I rebooted and rejoined the same server.

Saying I am a server hopper shows your ignorance. 

I don't always quit reading your posts. But when I don't, I remember why I did in the first place.

8 hours ago, Rags! said:

I've played 0.60 for about ten hours or so now...and I must say that from a gameplay perspective my reaction has been...well...

kwyJSql.gif

I loathe the new loot changes. I hate the face that nothing seems to spawn on the coast and you have to move inland to find anything relevant or useful. All I've been doing is making a beeline for NWAF or Veresnik and seeing how many fights or kills I can get before I die and start over again. The frames are great, and it is legitimately wonderful to be able to set things to "High" and enjoy the looks of the game. It's neat that weapons can spawn with attachments on them or that items can spawn in other items...

But from a gameplay perspective...I think that Bohemia is making a HUGE MISTAKE in how they have this game play out. Instead of having zones where loot takes different varieties or forms or whatever, they need to do what I've been saying for ages now. 

Spread out spawns all across the map. Do not have huge zones where items spawn at varying levels of usefulness. Encourage people to move from town to town without having a general direction in mind. Right now, DayZ has become even MORE focused on deathmatch! All there is to do is "Spawn, get to NWAF as fast as possible, kill kill kill." If you spawn on the coast and the goal is to reach NWAF, which is clearly the drive of the loot system now, why would you ever go past that point? Why bother making all these cool and interesting towns to the north and up in the northwest when they exist behind the NWAF where all the best loot and action is.

Loot is so pathetic on the coast, the large cities like Cherno, Electro, and other towns are seemingly pointless to exist around. It also makes it even more advantageous for people who have made it up to the NWAF or far inland to come back to deathmatch at the coast with an even larger advantage over newer spawns since they have such a harder time getting weapons and ammunition.

There are good things about 0.60, but after all the months that have gone by...I am left incredibly, immensely disappointed. Oh, well. At least I can shoot people with better FPS now. That's something. I guess.

I'm really enjoying this patch, and haven't played this much in ages. I'm finding it very immersive, interesting, and even occasionally scary. I hear you on the spawn > NWAF > die point, but that's not my playstyle anyway. I live, loot and fight in those northern towns (where the fps can still be pretty crappy btw).

My real bugbears with 0.60 are the overheating (but I'm getting used to spending a lot of time in ponds), and the terrible server browser.

5 hours ago, serelaw said:

You know what?  Nobody that lost gear,which there are many of us, cares that you have not lost any gear.

I do not care how you play either.

Yes it has occurred to us about preventing hoppers

Saying I am a server hopper shows your ignorance.

Salty much? Is there any logic to your post? Stop losing your gear, dog ^^ Let's just hoped this is fixed! Downloading update now!

Edited by S3V3N

9 hours ago, Rags! said:

kwyJSql.gif

You seem to think everyone only wants military gear, which I don't. I am perfectly content to run around with a Magnum and Repeater and have about 60 ammo which can be found in civilian houses. Sometimes I will pick up a Glock and look for a silencer as my Infected weapon. I enjoy the initial struggle to get some good gear together and I hope it gets even MUCH harder, like a 30% chance you will actually survive the initial two hours after respawning, feel a sense of urgency and accomplishment and maybe even an incentive to stay alive and create caches before you even try to have encounters.

• Like 2

@Rags!: not sure if today's patch brought some improvements, but I know of three duping methods that still work. I hate that and I hope they put more effort into fixing those leaks. 

On a more general note, I wonder why nobody is crying foul about the low ground texture quality. For me, .60 renderer has not reached visual parity yet, since looking through a scope at a hill that's 400-600 m away looks like horse-shit or playstation 1 level. It really bothers me. Texture flickering, bad LOD switches, fence alpha texture bugs are all still in. I really wonder how they managed to transfer graphical bugs from a legacy to a completely rewritten renderer module. That's a feat in itself.

I play only on a private hive, and so long duping is not common (I hope it stays that way), ammo is really rare, and the CLE distributed the loot to the north and far west. Not sure if the items in the active players' inventory is counted in the CLE, same for barrels etc.

Ah and another thing: since it was mentioned in the status report: I am really curious which despawn timer there is for barrels in this build. Will it still be eight days? Because then it gets interesting soon, the push to stable was last week Wednesday, no?

4 minutes ago, moeb1us said:

I know of three duping methods that still work...

Submit Bug Report please. (set to private).

Hey, I just checked the update and everything seems to still be there. I had my gear and the tents are full. Very nice! I did notice some lag though, especially when I move the MP5 with scope. Some minor lag when running. Nothing big, but I think that wasn't there before. I'll delete my cfg later and see if that helps.

Edited by S3V3N

So many of you fail at Alpha understanding and do not even follow the news close enough to contribute well.

Getting caught up on this thread was an exercise in tolerance for ignorance and stupidity.

That being said..... OF COURSE THERE IS STILL A METRIC BUTT TON OF WORK LEFT TO DO AND WE ARE NOT EVEN IN BETA WHERE THINGS WILL BE BALANCED.

Also, .60+++ is closed and I see experimental update to steam db an hour ago.....

• Like 1

I lost 20-30 fps with this mornings patch. Anyone else experience this?

• Like 1

I can confirm that the red 9 with buttstock attachment still won't go in a shoulder holster.  I'll be able to test other guns with attachments when I get back to my other camp.

also found a chainsaw, if anyone was wondering if they spawn.

13 hours ago, Rags! said:

I agree entirely.  The game has suffered ever since the Devs decided to try and "micro-manage" playstyles by forcing people off the coast.  I used to find more groups at NWAF BEFORE the nerfed the coast down to hat cities.  Just set up a Chernarus full of great environments (i.e., places a player has a viable reason to go) and let the play grow organically.  

If people wanted to get geared up in Balota tents or PvP on Prison Island or go out west to hunt or hang around NWAF trying to get the best loot, let them.  I can't tell what they're trying to achieve by making 90% of the map a grind of soda cans and hats.  OHHH another player, maybe I'll murder him with one of my 3 9mm rounds?  Or, I'll save that ammo.  For what exactly?  I feel like they have turned recent builds into more of a pointless PvP fest.  

Edited by Thurman Merman
  • Like 4