Hicks_206 (DayZ)

A Few Thoughts On.. (Loot Economy, Protecting the Vanilla Experience, etc..)

On 14/06/2016 at 11:24 PM, komikon_suki@yahoo.com said:

Also, you want less PVP? Then give people something better to do

Are you saying that the devs should continue developing the game? That's a revolutionary attitude to have.

Also, you're only surviving one hour? I am very bad at DayZ, but I'm not quite that bad. I do agree with the ruined gear thing, though. Getting shot in the leg shouldn't break everything I have stored in my trousers. Items getting damaged like that should be quite rare. I don't have a problem with clothing being ruined, but the items in your clothing should be relatively safe.

I have only recently bought this game and only have only played about 15hrs. I have found myself being pushed inland on the hunt for food and kit, lost a friend in a shootout so loaded up on guns and bullets I could not use (ignoring the stacks of food). And as you cant eat bullets I later died of starvation, whilst my hypothermic friend found me and could not revive me (hypothermia later killed him). I like this constant battle to just stay alive and having to prioritize food over bullets/guns, all though I must say a box of cereal seems to keep you fed longer than 5-6 cans of food which is a little odd.

I want to join the modded server "Hardcore NO BEANZ 1PP Go Hunting low loot/thousands of infected" server ^^

On 12.6.2016 at 0:18 PM, ori42 said:

-  Heli events need changes, Brian Hicks - you can loot an empty official Dayz server and be be geared up in minutes with rare weapons now if u have a balota or far west spawns. I suggest to add additional heli events locations all over the map (inland, north, center east, and small islands.) Because most heli crash sites are far west on the map which is strange in my opinion. And heli crashes need zombies to protect rare loot for new players without weapons and zombies need to be a threat, Hicks. Maybe u get ill if u get hit by a zombie like a % chance, or they hit you harder, because they are like no threat at the moment. My point is if someone gun down zombies near a heli crash site - it should be heard and competition for that loot in Dayz. 

Another view why heli events need to spread out all over the map - tents near Green mountains and NW Airfield, and Tisy are one of the few locations to get military equipment - that location far west or in the area doesn`t need heli crash sites for rare weapons spawns at all. And same with the city Zelenogorsk - the only city on the map almost with military baracks and end game gear - also located near Green Mountain with most crash sites. My point is we don`t need all the players located far west on the map. Because now the map far east-north feels completely empty since the suicide glitch. No one enjoy berenzino spawn or far north, because of no heli crash sites or military equipment nearby.

The amount of heli crash sites are fine so I don`t like to increase rare weapon spawns, but it should be possible to find a heli crash site all over the map which is my point. 

Just true! 

I hope, with the new dynamic spawn system for infected, the challange to get really high gear will increase heavily. For now its just tooo easy... spawn cherno... walk up Nadezhdino...walk around the green mountain and you will find one chrashsite for shure...then myshkino tents and you are high geared as ****.

Because of food balance. I think there should be some remarkeble advantage if you get some so called high tier food because otherwise its just to timeintensive to get and use it. Everytime I found deer/chickens etc I grabbed them and putted the flesh in my inventar and ist stays there for a while till Im hungry and find some beanz. then I take the beanz and throw the flesh away because there is no difference if I eat damaged canned food...cold...or if I eat some fresh crispy grilled chicken. The only difference is the consumption of time I need to invest to get energized again. 

By the way... for me I think its just to easy to get healed with the energized status. I dont think it should be able to heal just by eating some cans of beanz and water. This would make the  medical loot much more valueable.

But in the end I think I have to wait till 1.0 because all of that stuff are balancing issues and first all other stuff and features need to be implemented to balance this stuff...

Edited by imunone

On 14.6.2016 at 0:09 AM, komikon_suki@yahoo.com said:

To be honest, you make me sick. @themightylc If, you can't get a kill, you might wanna keep your frustrations to yourself. This game can be played as a survivor, a hero or a bandit. If you do not accept the fact that bandits actually kill people in this game, then you should find a more peaceful game, like Rocket League.

Sorry, I was away a few days and forgot to feed my trolls.

Rocket League is about scoring goals. DayZ is about surviving - not about scoring kills.

On 15-6-2016 at 0:27 PM, EdStaffordZombie said:

This is exactly what I think. They need to provide more mechanics, more vehicles, wildlife and more objectives. 
Yesterday I was playing on exp. and suddenly I heard a car going through the city where I was. It scaried me so much, but it made me happy because I had an objetive ("to kill that guy and get his car..."). Vehicle nowadays are hard to get them work so i do not understand why people dont want more vehicles. Having more options will lead to a more interactive and funny game.
In summary i dont think that the balance in the loot spawn would be the main point to do right now. We are playing an alpha release, we need more mechanics and things to do, of course loot balance is important, but not as other features like "surviving" on the wildlife in order to accomplish one objetive(vehicle, food, weapon, shelter or whatever).

Bestz

so you (like so many others, myself included) want something more to do?

increase the spawn rate of canteens/bottles a tiny bit (say 5% on the entire server)
but decrease the canned food with like 50%..
increase wildlife spawning
introduce different climates/temperatures (that actually make sense)
introduce base building
introduce bikes in the game
make fishing/hunting a challenge 

^ all this will keep players busy for a few months so they can create good base models for all the cars, so they work correctly out of the box..

On 11.6.2016 at 8:24 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Within your first hour in game you *should* be able to find a firearm, and basic set of matching ammo.

This "quick guns for everyone" approach I dislike with a passion. I do know that opinion is divided on this, though. Thus I leave it at that as a personal matter of preference.

And 2 of these 3 "more loooot plz" people have just registered for this thread. Go figure ...

Edited by Noctoras

On 18-6-2016 at 7:47 PM, BeefBacon said:

Are you saying that the devs should continue developing the game? That's a revolutionary attitude to have.

Also, you're only surviving one hour? I am very bad at DayZ, but I'm not quite that bad. I do agree with the ruined gear thing, though. Getting shot in the leg shouldn't break everything I have stored in my trousers. Items getting damaged like that should be quite rare. I don't have a problem with clothing being ruined, but the items in your clothing should be relatively safe.

then you've obviously never shot a rifle before.. ever seen the size of a 7.62 bullet? or a 5.56? obviously not.. AK rounds (7.62x39) are pretty big.. getting shot in the leg with that WILL probably fuck you up.. 
and so will the items be when their in your pants.. iv saline? ruined..

bullet goes through the saline bag.. leaks.. so useless.. 
bullet goes through the metal container there's a pretty big hole in that thing.. and it ur leg as well.. 

don't underestimate the power of caliber bullets.

being hit with a pallet gun .22 is very different from being shot in the crotch with a 7.62x39 

Comparison of 7.62x54R (Mosin), 9mm Luger, .22 Long Rifle

^
http://www.abwehr-us.org/images/Ammunition_03.jpg

Edited by Tigermonk
  • Like 1

On 11 juni 2016 at 8:24 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Recently as I've been enjoying my travels across Chernarus in 0.60 experimental I've noticed a few comments, or questions regarding availability for server resources such as food, ammunition, and such. I thought taking a few moments to talk about that might help everyone understand our direction, and goals.

For those of you who were around for the 0.55 build you'll recall the unintended side effect a few economic based bugs had on the gameplay for that build. The struggle to survive was "real" for certain - and interestingly enough, a good portion of the community has expressed nostalgia for it.
So, for those folks - they'll be happy to know to a certain degree - an experience like that is what we've been aiming for. Let me elaborate a bit.

Peter and I both share a passion for DayZ being a struggle to survive. Infact, there are game mechanics that just *don't work* without it being the case. The balance for us, the goal we're constantly iterating towards is a playable experience that is that struggle for survival. 
You should be able to find the basics for survival within your first few moments in game. Be it scavenging for some basic food, or finding the basic supplies needed to get off the coast. Within your first hour in game you *should* be able to find a firearm, and basic set of matching ammo.

The coast is not intended to be an easy viable location to survive. We want you to need to move inland to exist, we *want* to push players to move across the map. Deeper inland you will find the high risk, high reward areas for players that want to push themselves towards that. For those that don't - surviving off the land, and setting yourself up for sustained survival through creating camps, and living off of renewable resources should be just as viable.

Mechanics such as horticulture, or even such desperate measures as harvesting meat from fallen player corpses just won't ever be viable if we don't have that balance - that survival part of the survival game present. 
We track via heatmaps and server logging data such as global server quantities, and even exactly where things are concentrated and how evenly things are distributed across the server. Even with this however, bugs occur - and we rely upon player reports via the feedback tracker to properly track these down. I'm rambling again - so let me get to the next part of this post I wanted to hit.

I, *we* recognize that an honest to god punishing survival game might not be the DayZ experience everyone wants, or even knows. Through the robust modding community on Arma 2, to the countless different type of content creators that are out there - DayZ can, and is something different to each person, and this ties into why we talk so much about providing people the tools to make the DayZ experience they specifically are looking for.
This extends past modding, to robust control over the server economy for privately hosted shards (when server files and CLE/Database tools are released) with a lower barrier to entry than traditional hobby based development via modding.
That said - I'm very aware of the concerns some members of the community have expressed in regards to so called "5000 vehicle servers" and "Spawn w/ AS50 HighLoot PvP Mania" type situations.

These concerns were first a foremost on my mind when our Lead Designer, Peter Nespesny and I sat down to lay out the design of our final Main Menu, Server Browser, and Launcher. Maintaining the character centric view in our Main Menu, so that your "Official DayZ" character and his or her successes, statistics, and overall status is one of the first things you are presented with. In addition to this, our Main Menu ties right into the new server browser design - which is intended to segregate the Official DayZ experience from community run experiences, and modded servers.

There is a point in UI/UX design that is discussed in the industry - that basically put covers the "clicks to gameplay" count. Maintaining a low click count to gameplay for us is one of the key points in the Main Menu, and to that end - where you end up through these clicks is critical. 
Separating the "Official" servers from the community run, and modded servers is more than just a filter. Our focus is very heavily on ensuring that the first gameplay experience someone has (unless they intentionally navigate past it) is on Official DayZ servers, with the original and intended DayZ gameplay design. 

- Main Menu "Play now" or "Quickplay" type option that dumps you into the lowest ping / highest pop Official DayZ server (or the last one you played on)
- The first tab you see when opening the server browser is *only* Official DayZ servers
- Community servers kept on their own tab
- Main Menu character data and statistics are Official DayZ servers only

Sure, these might seem small in the grand scheme of things - but the little things add up when trying to ensure that the base DayZ ("Vanilla") is protected, is the first type of gameplay a new user is presented with, and continues to thrive past the introduction of modding and private run hives/servers.

As usual, I've ranted and rambled a bit - but again, I just wanted you all to have a little insight into the thought process. Peter and I (and the entire team) are always very focused on the unforgiving survival game DayZ is intended to be - and while it might not seem like it from development build, to development build.. every decision we make during development is focused on making sure the *final product* is exactly what we all dreamed it would be.

Great post Brian!

You are not rambeling about! This is the kind of post/info me and a lot of ppl in the community hungers for!!

I feel dayz development lack information about the development and the ideas/thoughts/goals of the developers! Great informative post Brian, also lucky for me, I agree with you a 100%!

Keep up the good work!

(I've been negative or critical in a lot of my posts, i won't change my mind, the development takes way too long and is a joke in a way with way too few developers on this game.. News are also too seldom. still good post)

He explained very well. And even tho he explained all details what DayZ will become, I see some kids still couldnt learn how to survive on the coast and moaning about "Dam your zurvival LOL give us modding servers we want 5000000 heli and vehicles"...

You know what killed DayZ mod really ?  F'in Epoch, Taviana, Origins. (Apart from bugs and incompatibility of game engine with such a mod).

He/She who are still complaining about "Wheres the mod support?";

*Go to Steam library.

*Right click on DayZ

*Remove the game from harddisk.

*Go play/bother something/someone else...

Edited by BAHADIR
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

then you've obviously never shot a rifle before.. ever seen the size of a 7.62 bullet? or a 5.56? obviously not.. AK rounds (7.62x39) are pretty big.. getting shot in the leg with that WILL probably fuck you up.. 
and so will the items be when their in your pants.. iv saline? ruined..

bullet goes through the saline bag.. leaks.. so useless.. 
bullet goes through the metal container there's a pretty big hole in that thing.. and it ur leg as well.. 

don't underestimate the power of caliber bullets.

being hit with a pallet gun .22 is very different from being shot in the crotch with a 7.62x39 

Comparison of 7.62x54R (Mosin), 9mm Luger, .22 Long Rifle

^
http://www.abwehr-us.org/images/Ammunition_03.jpg

An AK bullet goes through your leg never comes out behind your leg. They dont understand that, Im glad you pointed it out... :)

On 26.6.2016 at 0:15 PM, Tigermonk said:

so you (like so many others, myself included) want something more to do?

increase the spawn rate of canteens/bottles a tiny bit (say 5% on the entire server)
but decrease the canned food with like 50%..
increase wildlife spawning
introduce different climates/temperatures (that actually make sense)
introduce base building
introduce bikes in the game
make fishing/hunting a challenge 

^ all this will keep players busy for a few months so they can create good base models for all the cars, so they work correctly out of the box..

I have to agree on this Point... PET Bottles should be much more Common in the Game, because just look at how much of them we have in the Real Life, everyone of you have probably 2 or 3 at home or even more. So why are they so Rare in the Game? Same with Cooking Pots, Frying Pans and Kitchen Knives EVERY single Household in the World has them, but the People in Chernarus can't afford them? I mean even if it's a Story wise Decision where the Virus is Spreading for like 10 Years now, there should be more of them left.

Make the Things that are Common to everyone and that we use every day more Common and the things that we rarely see Rare.

Another aspect of the game i like is the abillity that you could made a Bow in the first 5 minutes of the game, IF the Animal Spawns would be working as they should. You should more Focus on the intellect of people and give them a few more Weapons to Craft instead of using the Real Firearms. I mean if i had a Y shaped Stick and a Rubber Band... It would be a really nice and easy made Fling Shot, just load it with a small stone and you have a weapon the can knock out a Guy so you just have to go to him and cut his throat with your knive. Same with a Spear, if i had one i would just sprint towards the Guy and pierce his Heart or Head.

So what i'm saying is.. Focus more on how things would be in a Real World Szenario and stop letting us run for hours running through Chnerus just to find Ammunition for a Weapon and get killed 5 minutes later by a Bandit.

P.S: Another thing that i never quite understood was why don't we turn into Zombies if we get bitten? Would be a cool Feature if there was a Geared Up Zombie running around like in ZombiU on the WiiU.

On 3/7/2016 at 2:27 PM, Keichi said:

Another thing that i never quite understood was why don't we turn into Zombies if we get bitten? Would be a cool Feature if there was a Geared Up Zombie running around like in ZombiU on the WiiU

I would love that zombies could have a probability like 5% to infect yourself, so you'll need to take anthibiotics or something similar.

If the zombie sickness kills you, you'll die and a NPC zombie would replace your character (with some ramdom items of your gear in his inventory).
That would make zombies soooooo scary!

Edited by EdStaffordZombie
  • Like 2

Today I was playing in far north and sat there a moment. And thought about that lol. Imagine seeing an infected with backpack, and some items inside inventory and you know he died out there.