hemmo

Pinky pain while running is affecting my playing time

Okay, i am realizing that if i am running much in a playing session, my pinky really starts to hurt sometimes. Holding left shift and W is just RSI irresponsible. While i have tried multiple things, from putting sprint on dubbel tab W, it is not working.

Does anyone else feels the need to change their autowalk fromout keycars between the keys or auto walk macro's? I sincenciraly hope the final release has something more RSI friendly and gives a more enjoyable DayZ experiance without pinky pain.

Go to infantry controls and hotkeys, find the line labeled "Fast Forward." It should be cleared by default. Assign it 2xW by double tapping W to assign a key. Enjoy your Double tap W sprint.

• Like 1

I have never used the keyboard for movement in any game. Walking is right mouse button for me and sprint mouse button 5. This keeps my left hand completely free for drinking, smoking, picking my nose or whatever while running longer distances.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, nl said:

I have never used the keyboard for movement in any game. Walking is right mouse button for me and sprint mouse button 5. This keeps my left hand completely free for drinking, smoking, picking my nose or whatever while running longer distances.

I use this layout too. One of the more veteran gamer layouts but by far the best. Highly recommend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, energeticsheep said:

I use this layout too. One of the more veteran gamer layouts but by far the best. Highly recommend. 

Damn busted, yes indeed, I'm old ;)

99% of the time I don't use sprint. It consumes more energy and liquid than just normal run with W only. I know the pain you're talking but I suggest you tu change the playstyle because constant sprint doesn't actually win you anything.

23 minutes ago, St. Jimmy said:

99% of the time I don't use sprint. It consumes more energy and liquid than just normal run with W only. I know the pain you're talking but I suggest you tu change the playstyle because constant sprint doesn't actually win you anything.

It will take you almost 60% longer to get anywhere (turn 25 min run into 40 min run), makes you an easier target, and hunger and thirst are not a big deal anyways. I like to jog in certain places to keep breath and have more time to observe surroundings.

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

It will take you almost 60% longer to get anywhere (turn 25 min run into 40 min run), makes you an easier target, and hunger and thirst are not a big deal anyways. I like to jog in certain places to keep breath and have more time to observe surroundings.

several reasons why this is an arguable point..

- YES it takes you longer to go places when you're jogging
- YES it sometimes makes you an easier target
- YES it can be fixed fairy easily 

- you do realize dayz is based (or trying to be based) on realism.. in the current status you're sprinting 30 km/h (or about 15 mph..try doing that for 20 min.. just try..
- sprinting full out should drain you of energy/liquids/breath because realism
- yes you run faster.. but what does it ultimately get you? nothing in most cases apart from SOME time saving.. but isn't dayz something you play to kill time?
- making you an easier target? yes.. because I'd rather shoot a sprinting fully geared player than a jogging one.. because 1: he has balls, so I respect that.. 2. a jogging players is more confident, so he might have back up somewhere.. shoot him.. get your head blown off by his mates

- realism wise (yes again) sprinting isn't something YOU would do.. so constantly sprinting on a RP server *on which I play mostly* isn't realistic when talking with your normal voice while your char. is panting like a cheetah.. 
- why should you sprint in the first place.. when every moving thing wants to shoot or eat you.. (i've never seen a zombie movie where they SPRINT 50 miles or so... 'because they can' and further more.. sprinting in later patches (hopefully) will agro half of cherno on your ass.. just like it did in the mod. because above all sprinting/running makes noise.. zombies/sounds/survivor/fresh meal etc.

45 minutes ago, veshcula said:

several reasons why this is an arguable point..

- YES it takes you longer to go places when you're jogging
- YES it sometimes makes you an easier target
- YES it can be fixed fairy easily 

- you do realize dayz is based (or trying to be based) on realism.. in the current status you're sprinting 30 km/h (or about 15 mph..try doing that for 20 min.. just try..
- sprinting full out should drain you of energy/liquids/breath because realism
- yes you run faster.. but what does it ultimately get you? nothing in most cases apart from SOME time saving.. but isn't dayz something you play to kill time?
- making you an easier target? yes.. because I'd rather shoot a sprinting fully geared player than a jogging one.. because 1: he has balls, so I respect that.. 2. a jogging players is more confident, so he might have back up somewhere.. shoot him.. get your head blown off by his mates

- realism wise (yes again) sprinting isn't something YOU would do.. so constantly sprinting on a RP server *on which I play mostly* isn't realistic when talking with your normal voice while your char. is panting like a cheetah.. 
- why should you sprint in the first place.. when every moving thing wants to shoot or eat you.. (i've never seen a zombie movie where they SPRINT 50 miles or so... 'because they can' and further more.. sprinting in later patches (hopefully) will agro half of cherno on your ass.. just like it did in the mod. because above all sprinting/running makes noise.. zombies/sounds/survivor/fresh meal etc.

I don't see how it's that arguable:

1. It will take you 60% longer to get places
2. A slower target is easier to hit
3. Hunger and thirst are currently not a big deal

You yourself seem to have agreed with my points. You're reading too much into my post. I said nothing about how things should work. The current mechanics don't give me much reason to avoid moving quickly when travelling long distances.

You're saying players shouldn't sprint around the map because [1] it's not realistic, and [2] people shouldn't mind taking longer to get places. For the vast majority of players these aren't compelling reasons for deliberately choosing to move slower.

56 minutes ago, veshcula said:

If you want to be truly authentic, you should be neither sprinting nor jogging—you should spend most of your time walking. I don't play RP servers.

53 minutes ago, veshcula said:

- you do realize dayz is based (or trying to be based) on realism..

Look in my post history, hehe.

54 minutes ago, veshcula said:

in the current status you're sprinting 30 km/h (or about 15 mph..try doing that for 20 min.. just try..

Not quite 30 km/h.

I use sprint mostly to traverse long and boring distances, once the woods become more alive with (predatory) animals and maybe even infected it may become a bad idea to alert an entire area.

When I approach a region where there is a good chance I run into another player I will slow down, catch my breath and jog. Both to give myself a better chance of spotting a player and to be able to have a more precise aim.

I am sure sprinting will come with a bigger price in the future, especially when more simple transport like bicycles become available.

10 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Yes it "wins" time but there's not much reason to get anywhere quickly. Testing wise it's nice to get quickly somewhere but when I'm playing, I've nothing to win getting quickly anywhere.

Getting shot doesn't really change if you sprint or run. You'll be shot anyway if the other player wants to do it. The first shot usually misses or you don't die to it so of course it's good to start sprint and zig-zag when there's a real threat.

Constant sprinting through the woods still doesn't win you anything other than time. That can (should) change in the future.

Food and drink isn't hard to come by currently but when it again happens, people who don't like to pick berries and they constatly sprint everywhere, they're the first ones to start the moaning in the forums and feedback tracker, how they die in 10mins.

I understand your view but I just tried to help and courage to actually not use constant sprinting because you really don't need it in this game. It's just a habit to "win" the game quickly. Kind of an achievement hunter style so you hoard achievements as quickly as many as possible but in the end it it didn't win anything. It just makes hungry for more but more doesn't come unless you start to play a completely different game.

8 hours ago, -Gews- said:

I don't see how it's that arguable:

1. It will take you 60% longer to get places
2. A slower target is easier to hit
3. Hunger and thirst are currently not a big deal

You yourself seem to have agreed with my points. You're reading too much into my post. I said nothing about how things should work. The current mechanics don't give me much reason to avoid moving quickly when travelling long distances.

You're saying players shouldn't sprint around the map because [1] it's not realistic, and [2] people shouldn't mind taking longer to get places. For the vast majority of players these aren't compelling reasons for deliberately choosing to move slower.

If you want to be truly authentic, you should be neither sprinting nor jogging—you should spend most of your time walking. I don't play RP servers.

Look in my post history, hehe.

Not quite 30 km/h.

'If you want to be truly authentic, you should be neither sprinting nor jogging—you should spend most of your time walking. I don't play RP servers.' <- that right there is your point made.. case closed... nothing more relevant to say.. if you play on 'something moves and it's dead' servers A.K.A. public.. sprinting would never be an option... it gets your head blown off.. because you stand out.. 

Deru kui wa utareru.

Literally: The stake that sticks up gets hammered down.

thats about as much as I can say about sprinting people...

I DO play on RP servers (for obvious reasons, placing interaction FAR above lining your LR scope and taking headshots.)
so IF you stand out.. interaction flows from it.. instead of a shit storm of bullets.. that makes dayz a FPS instead of anything else..

IMO.. if you want to play that way... fine.. but you might as well play COD because FPS... 

When I get hand fatigue from running, I will adjust so that my thumb is on shift and my index finger is on the W key.  Also, I have a pair of nail clippers and a nickel that I use to jam the running keys when I need to go get a new beer and/or get rid of a used beer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Yes it "wins" time but there's not much reason to get anywhere quickly. Testing wise it's nice to get quickly somewhere but when I'm playing, I've nothing to win getting quickly anywhere.

Getting shot doesn't really change if you sprint or run. You'll be shot anyway if the other player wants to do it. The first shot usually misses or you don't die to it so of course it's good to start sprint and zig-zag when there's a real threat.

Constant sprinting through the woods still doesn't win you anything other than time. That can (should) change in the future.

Food and drink isn't hard to come by currently but when it again happens, people who don't like to pick berries and they constatly sprint everywhere, they're the first ones to start the moaning in the forums and feedback tracker, how they die in 10mins.

I understand your view but I just tried to help and courage to actually not use constant sprinting because you really don't need it in this game. It's just a habit to "win" the game quickly. Kind of an achievement hunter style so you hoard achievements as quickly as many as possible but in the end it it didn't win anything. It just makes hungry for more but more doesn't come unless you start to play a completely different game.

If you don't mind the extra time then jogging is just fine—but judging by his sore pinky it seems the OP wants a higher speed, and there's no real reason he should avoid it.

15 hours ago, veshcula said:

'If you want to be truly authentic, you should be neither sprinting nor jogging—you should spend most of your time walking. I don't play RP servers.' <- that right there is your point made.. case closed... nothing more relevant to say.. if you play on 'something moves and it's dead' servers A.K.A. public.. sprinting would never be an option... it gets your head blown off.. because you stand out.. 

Deru kui wa utareru.

Literally: The stake that sticks up gets hammered down.

thats about as much as I can say about sprinting people...

I DO play on RP servers (for obvious reasons, placing interaction FAR above lining your LR scope and taking headshots.)
so IF you stand out.. interaction flows from it.. instead of a shit storm of bullets.. that makes dayz a FPS instead of anything else..

IMO.. if you want to play that way... fine.. but you might as well play COD because FPS... 

Except sprinting is an option on "something moves and it's dead" servers, aka normal DayZ, and pretty much everyone takes advantage of it. If you're in someone's line of sight you will be noticed whether you're jogging at 15 km/h or sprinting at 23 km/h. Both speeds stand out. The best thing to do is always look for natural concealment and cover, move through defilades, behind treelines, etc.

You don't like using our characters' infinite stamina to move around the map quickly—that's your personal RP choice, not something that gives much in-game benefit or tactical advantage.

Gews, Veshcula - for what it's worth, it looks like the two of your have agreed that you're playing fundamentally different games with fundamentally different assumptions. Hey, it's your business, but I can't see anything productive emerging from continuing that particular branch of the conversation.

• Like 1

I've played DayZ a lot and have found my favorite Keybindings just about half a year ago:

Sprint/Fast Forward is Spacebar, raising/lowering weapon is mouse 5, left shift to walk, rest pretty much standart

this makes it really comfortable for long sprinting, using the left thumb, and you can even have full WASD controls while doing so

Edited by ZomboWTF
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Gews, Veshcula - for what it's worth, it looks like the two of your have agreed that you're playing fundamentally different games with fundamentally different assumptions. Hey, it's your business, but I can't see anything productive emerging from continuing that particular branch of the conversation.

I think our games are pretty similar. Anyways, I like a little argument every now and again.

Do you have a non-default bind for sprinting? ( I use the old 2xW)

Edited by -Gews-

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

I think our games are pretty similar. Anyways, I like a little argument every now and again.

Do you have a non-default bind for sprinting? ( I use the old 2xW)

Honestly the shift+w works great for me. It makes close encounters very fluid (well fluid for dayz) and is very easy to toggle. 

Off topic, @-Gews-, I find it odd that anyone would argue with you about this game. Few have put the time to test and science this game like you have. For what it's worth (very little probably) I appreciate the tid bits of information you have found out over the last 4-ish years.

W+S to sprint, this should be standard in ArmA and considered for Dayz. Pretty important for arma, since you want to conserve your stamina.

Edited by Coheed_IV
s

On 5/31/2016 at 7:20 PM, hrdrok said:

Honestly the shift+w works great for me. It makes close encounters very fluid (well fluid for dayz) and is very easy to toggle. 

Off topic, @-Gews-, I find it odd that anyone would argue with you about this game. Few have put the time to test and science this game like you have. For what it's worth (very little probably) I appreciate the tid bits of information you have found out over the last 4-ish years.

Gee, thanks.

I have my sprint and walk same as ARMA 2, mostly since I was used to it. Easier long-distance running and I like the temporary shift-walk and it also happened to avoid the issue with inventory and Steam overlay. It does make it slightly harder to do the quick sprint-jog-axe combo.