Qpec

A new fresh look to the airfield?

Hey guys,

I was wondering, it would be great to update the airfield a little bit, add more buildings, maybe enterable crashed planes with loot, custom offices, airport baggage vehicles.. It looks empty and boring right now.

What do you guys think? What are your ideas?

• Like 3

I'd love that. I'm also pretty sure it's something that they are going to do anyway as they slowly rework all of Chernarus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CornProducts said:

Offices? Its a military airport.

I mean, the military has offices, too. Considering how probably 90% of all soldiers aren't involved in actual combat, but in logistics, having an office section on the major military outpost on the map makes sense.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2016 at 8:20 PM, Whyherro123 said:

I mean, the military has offices, too. Considering how probably 90% of all soldiers aren't involved in actual combat, but in logistics, having an office section on the major military outpost on the map makes sense.

I agree 100%  and in fact Air wing units have a higher percentage of tech support,, maintenance people, supply people, FSSG units, paper pushers, and medical people than any other type of unit. But hell every infantry, tank, MP, artillery, LAV, Amtrack unit also have their own offices. The Military runs on paper so offices would be OK. And how about something real like the infected troops have some small loot items on them.  And on any military facility there is going to be plenty of canned and dry food around as well as water points and combat rations. 

Edited by Xbow

I think the current storyline suggests that a large-scale evacuation took place, and that while a lot of supplies might have been left behind at the time, approximately five years have passed since the outbreak - plenty of time for any military base's supplies to be raided and emptied. However more buildings, especially office buildings, is a thing I'm totally in favour of.

Edited by Funkmaster Rick

1 hour ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

I think the current storyline suggests that a large-scale evacuation took place, and that while a lot of supplies might have been left behind at the time, approximately five years have passed since the outbreak - plenty of time for any military base's supplies to be raided and emptied. However more buildings, especially office buildings, is a thing I'm totally in favour of.

Nope, definitely not 5 years. Gasoline, even kept in a cool, dark place and with stabilizer added, rarely "lasts" more than 2 or so years. Gasoline is a highly refined product, and generally, the more refined a product is, the more quickly it deteriorates.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=101087

Plus, medication like Epinephrine pens still work. While epipens can be used safely months after the "official" expiration date, the date is used to indicate when the medication will start to degrade. Once it degrades, it is no good. Hence > the epipens in Day Z work > they haven't degraded > It can't be that long after the expiration date, which was in 2012, I believe

Plus, the world in general isn't overgrown enough for it to have been all that long. I compare the growth in Day Z to the growth I see in my home city (in abandoned lots), and I see one seasons growth. .

• Like 3

The Airfield should have some offices. Being the largest military outpost on the map, it is likely the headquarters of the CDF as well. Most troops are non combatant pen pushers, so again this makes sense. 

A crashed cargo plane would be cool too, like it smashed into the mound at the end of the runway during an emergency evacuation. Some civilian loot and maybe the occasional pistol or military weapon.

Even just more evidence of combat taking place. Shell holes or bomb craters, scorches on walls, bullet casings, skeletons etc. The place is absolutely overrun with zombies more than anywhere else that I've seen so some shit has to have gone down there.

we might be able to do some server side imports of buildings, and make our own pbo's.

It does add a new design to the map in general. We have played this map for so long now, its nice to change it up some.

On 5/30/2016 at 3:00 AM, Xbow said:

I agree 100%  and in fact Air wing units have a higher percentage of tech support,, maintenance people, supply people, FSSG units, paper pushers, and medical people than any other type of unit. But hell every infantry, tank, MP, artillery, LAV, Amtrack unit also have their own offices. The Military runs on paper so offices would be OK. And how about something real like the infected troops have some small loot items on them.  And on any military facility there is going to be plenty of canned and dry food around as well as water points and combat rations. 

Also agree 100% .. with the exception of a typical small arms force (SMALL ARMS WEAPONS and AMMO) (usually with hi-tech ground to air missile defence capabilities) whose primary role is protection of the base but specifically the aircraft. But i'd go beyond that, speaking from experience (Ex-RAF) .. With the exception of multiple mechanical/engineering i.e. groups who's functions include maintaining runway (BUILDING MATERIALS), comms (TECH PARTS), Air Radar (More TECH PARTS), Medical facilities, (MEDS), auxiliary vehicles (Different VEHICLES, FUEL and PARTS), although primary role is keeping aircraft airworthy (Hi-TECH PARTS and Hi-TECH WEAPONS) and 100% fighting capable. A very large proportion of an airforce base is administrative in nature and this IS typically looked over or neglected, another very important aspect of any airforce base is that it is a "static" military base, requires virtually no detachment of it's personnel (apart from pilots in the air). Therefore all personnel AND their families live in either houses or barracks (HOUSEHOLD ITEMS) inside and/or in very close proximity to the base, and all facilities for such a communities are also present to meet their requirements. Air-force Bases by their very nature attract civilian communities (like a magnet! Just as regular airports do, sometimes more) for local employment and servicing of base including all facilities needed to run such a large place. On the Air-base itself there would require to be recreational facilities such as airmans, sargeants & officers Mess/Bar (including canteens/restaurants) (FOODS/DRINKS) and their single accommodations (CLOTHING/GENERAL ITEMS) (those not married / with families) bowling alleys, swimming pools, gymnasiums, outdoor running tracks, football (baseball) pitches (have worked on U.S. base). The list of recreational facilities could go on, Cinemas, Churches etc etc. Then there are the support facilities hair salons, banks, but believe it or not ... the one most important facilities on an Air-base (to the occupants that live there) are the shops! (FOOD/GENERAL GOOD/DRINKS/TECH GOODS .. etc etc).

Airports, military or otherwise are essentially a micro-cosmopolitan that would/should be any apocalypse survivors 1st port of call.. although i'd guess that a military one would just be a bit more difficult to gain entry into particular (sensitive) areas. Even if personnel abandoned the base.. those secure buildings would be looked up tighter than your grannies handbag!  :)

Edited by LeJudge
  • Like 1