DR. IRISHMIKE

DayZ Standalone Base Building is almost here! How do you plan to use it?

As we approach .63 going experimental, some of the plans for our newest version of "Fort Eden Trade Center" base build at Lopatino Castle are:

At our Trade Center, we have two archways used to enter the base at Lopatino Castle. Each of them will have two lockable gates on each end of the archway with security forces at the gates when people are logged on. Although the gates can be breached by explosives, when security is online the archway gates should be very difficult to breach.We think it's important for the server for it to be possible to capture or raid the Trade Center just like any base on the server, but on the same hand since this particular base is part of our signature clan headquarters and RP Trade Hub we plan to make it extremely difficult to breach. So when groups are successful taking over the base they should feel like they have accomplished something special. 

As far as other assets for base building, there will be a wide variety of fences available, plus the ability to make them camo with netting, or to electrify the fencing based on the info released so far. We will use the heaviest available fencing to cover the breaches (three holes in the walls). Covering these three holes will allow the Trade Base to expand to four times it's original size, creating a base that will not only serve as our server's trading and RP hub, but also as the =UN= Clan Headquarters. The size of the base will roughly be close to that of the entire Prison Island facility, only Lopatino Castle is entirely enclosed from attackers by high walls. These walls also provide murder holes for defenders to look out of and shoot through. 

As an extra measure of security, the =UN= Headquarters (Base) will also be found within the walls, and be located exactly in between  the two archways that must be passed through in order to get to the Trade Center area in the Castle (located in the lowest area deep inside the walls. Having the =UN= Clan Base in the center of the Trade Center will provide additional security in and around the base as different =UN= Clan Companies (small groups of 3 to 6 players) coming and going from Fort Eden as they bring back loot, pick up loot, or come by for other clan functions. One of the =UN= Clan Companies serves the Trade Center as security permanently, and is known as the Fort Eden Brigade. This group works the gates, towers, and security assisting the Traders within the Trade Center.

Currently, Lopatino Castle has two high towers that security overwatch can use to defend the Castle. These towers provide windows to look out of, as well as murder holes with 360 views) that can be used during combat situations if the base is attacked. Mods may be used down the road to add another tower or two depending on the needs of the Trade Center.

We are also going to create areas outside the Castle that have quality overwatch positions on the key spots used to launch attacks against our Trade Base so we can take them out from better fortified locations.

We may even devise an area within that we can lock up a horde of zombies as a moat type defense. If someone can get past the main archway gates, security forces in the =UN= Clan base area,  and moat of zombies, they still have to breach one more set of gates at the second archway to enter the Trade Center. I think that's about the best we can do. I suspect that most successful attacks will come when server population is down in the middle of the night. When that happens we simply rebuild and get the place up and running again. Maybe set up a system when we know we have something going on where we can provide a surprise welcoming for them from time to time.

Other resources: The newest patch has placed water right next to the castle, with the lower river bed now full of water, as well as a few nearby creeks between Vybor and the castle and Zeleno and the castle. This along with the massive landscape of the castle will provide quality farming opportunities so that the trader will always be well stocked with food. Wolves, deer, and cattle spawn just outside the castle walls to provide even more food, and allow quality leather making for RP/ trade.

It's a massive undertaking but we have many members that love the idea of playing DayZ from a base rather than running around the map all the time. Especially our RP population which needs a relatively safe place to play the way they want to play.

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Beans 1

I personally look forward to making small fortified bases within the wilderness or cities.  Larger ones tend to draw way too much attention.

Walled off alleyways and baracaded buildings, natural caves and cliffs, junk yard choke points.  All these areas need to be ready for habitation.

• Beans 2

5 hours ago, gorvi said:

I personally look forward to making small fortified bases within the wilderness or cities.  Larger ones tend to draw way too much attention.

Walled off alleyways and baracaded buildings, natural caves and cliffs, junk yard choke points.  All these areas need to be ready for habitation.

I'm more excited for electricity and being able to some how power a small house with working lights, stove/oven, heater. Can't wait.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:21 PM, DannyDog said:

I'm more excited for electricity and being able to some how power a small house with working lights, stove/oven, heater. Can't wait.

Yeah, stuff like that will make the game so much fun, especially if Night can be dark enough for lights to give away locations or set up traps for those looking for trouble

• Beans 1

On 4/17/2018 at 2:55 PM, gorvi said:

Absolutely. The regular sized clan should go for smaller, well hidden bases. Our MEGA Base idea is only possible because we have such a larger group in the =UN= Clan and because we want to create this Trading Center concept for our RP population interactions. It takes a ton of work to put together a mega base and it can all be gone in a single night. Of course if you have a lot of players defending it or repairing it that helps too.

Edited by IRISHMIKE

I'd like a little house by a lake. It will be  surrounded by barbed wire fencing to keep the infected away.  I can then live like a survivor trying to make it another day in the apocalypse.  The roleplaying possibilities are endless.  DAYZ will be a true survival game then.

Of course I'll have to find a server that doesn't have a bunch of 12 year old lunatics bent on destroying everything they see for "LULZ".

Meeshe, not a bandit

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

27 minutes ago, Meeshe said:

I'd like a little house by a lake. It will be  surrounded by barbed wire fencing to keep the infected away.  I can then live like a survivor trying to make it another day in the apocalypse.  The roleplaying possibilities are endless.  DAYZ will be a true survival game then.

Of course I'll have to find a server that doesn't have a bunch of 12 year old lunatics bent on destroying everything they see for "LULZ".

Meeshe, not a bandit

Let's just we can build house like structures rather than just put up a wired fence around some tents :-|

seek & destroy all bases = destroy all communities = go solo  ..

bases => private clan servers with private bases => (inevitable) =>  end of DayZ = SAFE DayZ.. so cute, so cuddly, private servers = how boring
why turn DayZ into My Second Life?

bloody teddy-bears

afraid of the dark?

xxp

• Confused 1

I suspect that with the basbuilding and embarrassing structures the spawning rate of the tents will be very small. These mega bases that we know now will not be possible in shape anymore. I think in 1.0 2 or 3 military tents to find something will be very big surprise .... because why else you should be able to build small simple tents themselves. And the bigger a base, the more sense there will be to crack it ... small ones may not be worth the massive effort. Fact will be: People will have work and are looking for more than just weapons and ammunition for PvP .... you may be robbed ... just because you have nails and tools. But we'll see ... if it's there.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:50 AM, Meeshe said:

Meeshe, not a bandit

You will like this.

• Beans 2

Wow...was so happy to see improv shelters and boarding up houses mechanic. Curious how people will try to break in. Crowbar maybe. 

• Like 1

@IRISHMIKE    That looks really promising.  I just reinstalled dayz mod and have had some fun with that.  Was playing vanilla (jeesh how much that has changed) but want to try epoch just for the base building.  I would love SA to have stuff like that and the vid looks like a good start.

• Like 1

Not plan to use it at all.its just big "hey,im here"...there is no any benefit to build base.you have barrels,tents,underground stashes...its better option.

• Beans 1

14 hours ago, kopo79 said:

Not plan to use it at all.its just big "hey,im here"...there is no any benefit to build base.you have barrels,tents,underground stashes...its better option.

Makes a big difference if you play solo or as a group.  And even larger groups with public bases also do the barrels and stashes thing too...

• Beans 1

Man will build when given the possibilities. It does not matter if it makes sense or not .... it's too deep in the genes of the gamer. Games build on it.

who gathers will protect it, an eternal law.

• Beans 1

On 5/3/2018 at 9:07 PM, Meeshe said:

@IRISHMIKE    That looks really promising.  I just reinstalled dayz mod and have had some fun with that.  Was playing vanilla (jeesh how much that has changed) but want to try epoch just for the base building.  I would love SA to have stuff like that and the vid looks like a good start.

.63 Stress Tests have been a nice peek at some of the awesome changes to the map. It looks like houses can be boarded up and turned into bases as well as a wide variety of walling options for defense. So far it looks well worth the wait.

On 17.4.2018 at 11:55 PM, gorvi said:

I am going to be a literally "happy camper" as long as i can fortify the staircase to a high apartment building and snipe away without people being able to sneak up on me

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 7:50 PM, Meeshe said:

I'Of course I'll have to find a server that doesn't have a bunch of 12 year old lunatics bent on destroying everything they see for "LULZ".

So MADMAX is kind of "not approved" in this post apocalypse DZ?  Rational behavior only on OUR server?  That would follow the private server, private game paradigm, to end public DayZ.  So, think about it -  membership and banning become the REAL "base"  in the game, not wire or barricades.  = Red v Blue? 

NOTE: If player can barricade windows with wooden boards, then other players must be able to break them open from outside - for instance with a sledgehammer, right? - Let's stay logical.
If players can break through barricaded windows, then DayZ players have to be able to climb through windows.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
and let's not forget wire-cutters

On 5/28/2018 at 1:19 AM, ZomboWTF said:

I am going to be a literally "happy camper" as long as i can fortify the staircase to a high apartment building and snipe away without people being able to sneak up on me

Good point. Sometimes I forget that people will also use base building to fortify battle positions, having nothing to do with making a base at all.

11 hours ago, IRISHMIKE said:

Good point. Sometimes I forget that people will also use base building to fortify battle positions, having nothing to do with making a base at all.

Yup, i am still always paranoid about camping a sightline, since sound in DayZ was for the longest time really unreliable

sometimes you could hear people running 10 meters away, and sometimes people running werent producing any sound while sprinting through a high apartment building...

i hope they address that properly before 0.63 hits exp, since the 0.63 exp checklist says something about sound fixes, i really hope so

playing a lot of Rainbow Six Siege, playing a agme where sound is unreliable feels like you are playing blind