DR. IRISHMIKE

DayZ Standalone Base Building is almost here! How do you plan to use it?

On the =UN= Community server, our first Mod related to Base building will be completing the walls at Lopatino Castle. After we use wall mods to patch the holes, we will put up two gates that can be opened / closed and locked at each archway to create an air lock system. We very excited that this is the year the game goes Beta.

• Beans 1

The Dev's are allowing us to carry the experimental patch until .63 goes stable. BTW - Base building will be in the patch immediately when it's released! The =UN= Clan will once again be hosting the largest base in all of DayZ - The Fort Eden Trade Center (At Lopatino Castle). See you all then!

Ghosts_dark.png

https://discord.gg/ZaR36J9

Edited by IRISHMIKE

4 hours ago, IRISHMIKE said:

REMINDER: The =UN= Community Server will be back up and running as soon as .63 hits experimental. The Dev's are allowing us to carry the experimental patch until .63 goes stable. BTW - Base building will be in the patch immediately when it's released! The =UN= Clan will once again be hosting the largest base in all of DayZ - The Fort Eden Trade Center (At Lopatino Castle). All players are welcome to trade or work at the Trade Center. See you all then!

Ghosts_dark.png

https://discord.gg/ZaR36J9

I am sure there will be lots of RP servers. Once we know more and once we get lots more ideas in Modding.

6 hours ago, IRISHMIKE said:

The =UN= Clan will once again be hosting the largest base in all of DayZ

Are you sure about that?

11 minutes ago, IRISHMIKE said:

Absolutely positive.

I'm pretty sure The Village has seen some bases that were similarly sized over the past few months.  Settlement camp at Rify and the Prison Alliance bases were both pretty large and sustained over weeks on end.

But since it is an organic server, saving peak persistence files was out of the question, and bases tend to get destroyed or moved over time.

Server is still running strong, BTW.

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

I'm pretty sure The Village has seen some bases that were similarly sized over the past few months.  Settlement camp at Rify and the Prison Alliance bases were both pretty large and sustained over weeks on end.

But since it is an organic server, saving peak persistence files was out of the question, and bases tend to get destroyed or moved over time.

Server is still running strong, BTW.

As long as the Devs and BI employees are playing on a server (or managing) it had better be running strong. (Not meaning that in a pissy way, its just a fact). It's a distinct advantage gaining a population when that occurs. 

.62 Fort Eden had 55 Tents and a dozen or so barrels for leather makers, cloth dyes, etc.

The .63 version of Fort Eden will triple in size since now Lopatino Castle will be completely enclosed. There will be two gates at each archway and the two walls that have breaches will be repaired providing  all sorts of RPers a wide variety of options under the protection of Fort Eden. The base can be used for Farming, hunting launch point, and the =UN= Clan headquarters. On a busy day, Fort Eden might have 30-40 traders visit, on a slower day about a dozen stop by. The base is also under attack often making it not only the RP hub on our map, but also more pvp than even Tisy or NWAF. It's a busy place on our server. 

Here is a look at the lower area of the Trade Base, there were additional areas even on .62 in the ruins and top area of grass by the tower and out front by the front arches, but .63 is going to offer amazing growth to the whole experience at Fort Eden.

TEH JAM JAR VISTS FORT EDEN!

Edited by IRISHMIKE

4 hours ago, sneakydude said:

I am sure there will be lots of RP servers. Once we know more and once we get lots more ideas in Modding.

We do offer RP (Encouraged) but we are a Hardcore PVP Server. No pvp rules of engagement. The Trade Base is our attempt to reach out to the RP Community and offer them a play environment that will allow them to play in an Apocalyptic setting within the security of a secured trade center. Base Building is going to be highly encouraged, especially with our larger server based clans.

Edited by IRISHMIKE

2 minutes ago, IRISHMIKE said:

As long as the Devs and BI employees are playing on a server (or managing) it had better be running strong

Is there someone with a secret identity that I'm not aware of?  From all my time on this server, I've only known it to be hosted by Spaggie and populated by regular (albeit enthusiastic) players.

Anyways. I was just sayin'...  If we are counting civilian tents, your claim of the largest base in all of DayZ might be open to challenge. And never saved persistence states to nullify attrition by bandits/despawners.

You'll definitely have some healthy competition when basebuilding comes into play.

I'd love to see some of the things they are doing with their bases if you have any pics or videos of them. It's difficult to put together quality bases of this size and we always have groups looking for ideas. We've also had multiple streamers on our server and they have all commented on how the Fort Eden Trade Center is the largest collection of loot, and largest base they have seen in DayZ. One of them even named his video based on that opinion. I've played on all the servers (over 4,400 hours in DayZ) and haven't seen anything close. As I mentioned earlier though, the .63 launch is going to be a whole different level of awesome.

Edited by IRISHMIKE

1 minute ago, IRISHMIKE said:

I'd love to see some of the things they are doing with their bases if you have any pics or videos of them. It's difficult to put together quality bases of this size and we always have groups looking for ideas. We've also had multiple streamers on our server and they have all commented on how the Fort Eden Trade Center is the largest collection of loot, and largest base they have seen in DayZ. One of them even named his video based on that opinion. I've played on all the servers (over 4,400 hours in DayZ) and haven't seen anything close. As I mentioned earlier though, the .63 launch is going to be a whole different level of awesome.

I'd be happy to give you a tour of The Village sometime.  As it stands today, there are 3 sizeable bases of around 2 dozen tents. The prison Island had 5 factions under one roof sharing a secured compound for some time, but boredom and faction friction eventually led us to spread back out around the map again.

I had heard that Fort Eden was only able to survive in such a manner because of saved persistent states that would be rolled-back after any successful attack.  Not sure how accurate this is, but if true, I think your claim to fame is in need of an asterisk.  ; )

13 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

I'd be happy to give you a tour of The Village sometime.  As it stands today, there are 3 sizeable bases of around 2 dozen tents. The prison Island had 5 factions under one roof sharing a secured compound for some time, but boredom and faction friction eventually led us to spread back out around the map again.

I had heard that Fort Eden was only able to survive in such a manner because of saved persistent states that would be rolled-back after any successful attack.  Not sure how accurate this is, but if true, I think your claim to fame is in need of an asterisk.  ; )

Post some pictures or video I'd love to see the layouts at those locations. We've actually had groups asking about good base configurations there.

As for Fort Eden, nobody ever breached it's walls (.62) without glitching through tents in the middle of the night. If glitching through tents when you are asked not to do it is a success then they were really successful. Thankfully now we will have walls and gates and not have to deal with "successful' attacks like those you mentioned. This topic has been an amazing discussion looking over the progress of all the old posts up to here. The count now stands at: 

161 replies

9667 views

Thanks everyone for contributing and please post pictures or videos of base ideas!!!

Edited by IRISHMIKE

Post some pictures or video I'd love to see the layouts at those locations. We've actually had groups asking about good configurations there.

As for Fort Eden, nobody ever breached it's walls without glitching through tents in the middle of the night. If glitching through tents when you are asked not to do it is a success then they were really successful. Thankfully now we will have walls and gates and not have to deal with "successful' attacks like those you mentioned.

Yeah. I can understand that.  The Village was forced to disallow using tents to completely block access, due to the unmanageable volume of support tickets reporting glitch abuse.
Now the dominant meta is to sneak in friendly, and log out until off-peak.  Fortunately, we have a very sharp group of people kicking ass and taking names, so most of the bad apples are gone, or have learned not to try anything too dishonorable. 
In fact, after an attack on the Village last night, I returned to find all the tents intact; bags of loot we stripped from our fallen, an SVD and AK74 still sitting in tents in the very location that the last guard died.

I could link to screenshots or streams of the village, but I'd rather direct you to go say hello and see for yourself.  Currently village is at Stary Yar lumber mill,  Queens Guard have secured Vybor town, and the Settlement has actually devised a way to secure a portion of Devil's Castle.

I think BarelyInfected started his stream today from inside The Village after the most recent remodel.

4 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Yeah. I can understand that.  The Village was forced to disallow using tents to completely block access, due to the unmanageable volume of support tickets reporting glitch abuse.
Now the dominant meta is to sneak in friendly, and log out until off-peak.  Fortunately, we have a very sharp group of people kicking ass and taking names, so most of the bad apples are gone, or have learned not to try anything too dishonorable. 
In fact, after an attack on the Village last night, I returned to find all the tents intact; bags of loot we stripped from our fallen, an SVD and AK74 still sitting in tents in the very location that the last guard died.

I could link to screenshots or streams of the village, but I'd rather direct you to go say hello and see for yourself.  Currently village is at Stary Yar lumber mill,  Queens Guard have secured Vybor town, and the Settlement has actually devised a way to secure a portion of Devil's Castle.

I think BarelyInfected started his stream today from inside The Village after the most recent remodel.

That's a shame that folks engage in that type behavior. On the same hand, I love that people want to attack the base too, and it brings a ton of people to the server.

I think in game base building, along with explosives and such it will be a more realistic experience all around. I'll take a look at Barely's vid's to see whats all there. Down the road if you see any cool base ideas please do share them. We really want to help people develop bases in the community!

Edited by IRISHMIKE

That's a shame that folks engage in that type behavior. On the same hand, I love that people want to attack the base too, and it brings a ton of people to the server.

I think in game base building, along with explosives and such it will be a more realistic experience all around. I'll take a look at Barely's vid's to see whats all there. Down the road if you see any cool base ideas please do share them. We really want to help people develop bases in the community!

The entire Village project until Beta is just a logistics and teambuilding exercise.  The real fun begins when we get to start playing with walls and towers and gates.  Hopefully they will have well-balanced durability of structures.  I would love to build metal walls lined with barbed wire outside and HESCO barriers inside, requiring the raid party to bring duplicates of an assortment of tools. Someone should not be able to walk up with a damaged sledgehammer and expect to breech a well-built base; and someone with an alice backpack full of pristine pickaxes and sledges should expect to spend at least 10 minutes making a hell of a lot of noise and taking a few breaks to regen their stamina.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:23 PM, IRISHMIKE said:

REMINDER: The =UN= Community Server will be back up and running as soon as .63 hits experimental.

In the future, please only advertise your clan/server in the Recruitment section. Doing it here is considered off-topic.

The same goes for "implied" advertising as well, like focusing on your clan/server in your posts in other threads outside the Recruitment section.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

In the future, please only advertise your clan/server in the Recruitment section. Doing it here is considered off-topic.

The same goes for "implied" advertising as well, like focusing on your clan/server in your posts in other threads outside the Recruitment section.

Thank you. Sorry about that. I edited my post to be less advertising. 

I watched Axel's video of the Prison Island base and it looked great. They were using similar tent blockades to block entry (about all you can do right now to secure anything). We actually considered the exact same area for our large Trade Base, but between the swim and the lack of water to farm, drink, etc, we chose our current location. It is surrounded by the heart of the heli spawns, has creeks all around it, and of course all of the western and northern spawn areas like NWAF, Myshkino Tents, Zeleno, etc.

I love the work Axel has put into the base building concepts. The Prison Island base is fantastic. As for base size, it's about 70% of what Fort Eden is size / tents wise, but again, I see why you thought it might be larger. It's also a huge base. 

My favorite part of the design is the first entry block at the archway entrance. It gives the hard spot needed before any serious threats can easily take the building and then shoot down. I also think it would be really easy to defend that narrow archway walk since its so tight. High marks on that. I also thought blocking the gate with the line of tents was another likewise brilliant move, and liked the narrow gap entry at the corner. I suppose even that could be blocked off too for the off hours when you play if you wanted to do it.

Our Admins have leaned towards having one rule related to base building that would exclude using Prison Island. We thought it might be best on our server to not allow any military loot spawns to be blocked off by any groups, since that would effect the loot cycle for the entire community. Large groups for example could block off key loot areas in Tisy, NWAF, etc and that would make it really tough on solo players and small groups, which we have a ton of playing with us. On a friendly RP focus server, that wouldn't be as much of a concern, but we are Hardcore PVP, RP Encouraged, so obviously that will effect our perspective on bases. 

Anyhow - Love the base and really respect Axel's amazing video's on base building.

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1

That's why I kept referring you to what happens on that server.  I can only think of a few potential good base locations that we haven't experimented with yet. 

Once basebuilding assets are included with beta, I'd like to take a crack at securing the Vybor distillery.  Our main challenge this patch has been dealing with sightlines beyond the render distance of tents.
Topography plays a huge role in selecting locations.  I know of a few hilltops that would be perfect to surround with walls. I can easily say that it is better to deal with infiltrators than snipers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

That's why I kept referring you to what happens on that server.  I can only think of a few potential good base locations that we haven't experimented with yet. 

Once basebuilding assets are included with beta, I'd like to take a crack at securing the Vybor distillery.  Our main challenge this patch has been dealing with sightlines beyond the render distance of tents.
Topography plays a huge role in selecting locations.  I know of a few hilltops that would be perfect to surround with walls. I can easily say that it is better to deal with infiltrators than snipers.

Some of my clan members are wanting to create a massive Trade Base out in the open area, on a flat wide open landscape so that enemies can easily be seen approaching.  It would work fine with those Hexco barriers stacked two high on the outside. I think that's a fine idea for a clan that is active but I'd prefer to see a Trader type base in a mountainous area.

Edited by IRISHMIKE

Truly inspiring with just the basics. I know there was some videos out there with so many more assets, but that will most likely be designed now from the modding people. I wouldn't expect the devs to create a huge load of assets like arma 3 has.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:19 PM, emuthreat said:

Are you sure about that?

Yeah you guys at one time had a huge base going of just tents. I remembered you mentioning this a few months back. Are you still doing that? or is it in the RP server. I remembered it on Experimental there was something you all got together doing. I see it as whatever makes it fun, do it. Nothing wrong with messing around with the bases until we get more in .63-1.0

16 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Yeah you guys at one time had a huge base going of just tents. I remembered you mentioning this a few months back. Are you still doing that? or is it in the RP server. I remembered it on Experimental there was something you all got together doing. I see it as whatever makes it fun, do it. Nothing wrong with messing around with the bases until we get more in .63-1.0

Yeah, our server group is a Hardcore pvp group with RP encouraged, but our "RP encouraged" is a strong effort to make our Trade Base the hub of RP and PVP on our map. So far it turned out to be just that. We had more pvp going on at the Trade Base than any place on the map, including Tisy and NWAF. RPers also found the Trade Base to be their hub, because frankly our server has about 80% of our population is KOS, so it is very difficult to interact when out and about. That is why our admins created the Trade Base and why our signature clan protects it.

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1

I really hope they add more assets than tents, towers and walls. 

I'm really hoping to see base building tie in with the crafting system and as a result tools, weapons and all other constructions become naturally tiered.

For example, you start by placing a tent, build crude tools which you then use to salvage other resources and craft better tools and a work bench. This opens up to more constructions and maybe you can upgrade the workbench further to do more. We could even get things like smelting ores, and different crafting workstations like a chemistry lab to make medical supplies and poisoning tools.I just don't want to see bases become nothing more than a place to horde things we find out in the world. I also hope that the raiding system is looked at in detail and also tiered. If somebody has invested a lot into using high level defensive materials to protect their base then the raiders should need complex tools like C4 charges to breach.

When base building drops I also hope that characters are permanently in the game regardless of whether the player is online. Kind of like Rust where they just go to sleep where the player logs out.

So much hope...

Edited by Caatalyst
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 8:08 AM, Caatalyst said:

I really hope they add more assets than tents, towers and walls. 

I'm really hoping to see base building tie in with the crafting system and as a result tools, weapons and all other constructions become naturally tiered.

For example, you start by placing a tent, build crude tools which you then use to salvage other resources and craft better tools and a work bench. This opens up to more constructions and maybe you can upgrade the workbench further to do more. We could even get things like smelting ores, and different crafting workstations like a chemistry lab to make medical supplies and poisoning tools.I just don't want to see bases become nothing more than a place to horde things we find out in the world. I also hope that the raiding system is looked at in detail and also tiered. If somebody has invested a lot into using high level defensive materials to protect their base then the raiders should need complex tools like C4 charges to breach.

When base building drops I also hope that characters are permanently in the game regardless of whether the player is online. Kind of like Rust where they just go to sleep where the player logs out.

So much hope...

I don't like the idea of characters permanently in game even after we log, but I can see how you might like the idea.Rust uses that I believe.

Edited by IRISHMIKE