DR. IRISHMIKE

DayZ Standalone Base Building is almost here! How do you plan to use it?

As long as DayZ doesn't go into a Rust style of base building and only barricading/upgrading the current structures in game I'll keep supporting the game.  I would rather not see sky towers or a thousand abandoned shacks all over the map.

• Like 2

I have some mixed feelings about base building:

1. its nice to have something to do once you reach the "top level" of loot possession. 

2. it created essentially a new game, not about survival, but about attacking and defending your/others bases.

3. it created a ton of fps/lag issues in certain situations.. Im not too eager to see this happen again (once people are stock piling shit tons of loot on one server, etc..)

4. The way it was implemented things always came out looking rather.. childish. 

Now with that said.. if its done right, if it entails using existing structures far more than building an entire new one (blocking off windows, doors) than it sounds like it could be a good thing.

But I dont really see it working out well if say one server becomes very popular, and 75% of your friday night player base frequents that one server. People build bases on it, it becomes a pvp fest, and eventually players are logging into other connected hives just to gear up, then log into said popular server to drop off at their camp, and go kill each other. My question is, does that really fit into the design of dayz? Is that not better for a mod, rather than the SA base game?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 7:47 PM, Mad Scientist said:

Base building in DayZ Standalone needs to be completely different to the mods, Ark, Rust etc.

• I don't want to see people crafting defensive positions in the middle of a gun fight (ala Rust). There should be a long animation when you are crafting something like a wall.
  • Bases should be built with what is available and limited crafting. By that I mean, just because you have some indeterminate metal, doesn't mean you can craft a metal wall. To do that you will specifically need metal sheeting, which you need to find, not craft.
  • Bases will also be built around existing structures, which can be fortified. If you want a house or building in your base, then build the walls etc around the building. Constructing buildings I believe is going too far for DayZ SA.

Totally agree.    Sheet metal and scrap metal should be totally different things for building supplies.

The 3rd point goes with Barricading.    And to build around that.  But in all honesty assuming all bases can be broke into I think you'd see more people barricade and build walls around mainly due to the existing houses aren't currently made to be destroyed. 

Hope to see both.  The more they add the better overall.  

• Like 1

Here is why i like base building....

I build the two sentinel towers. 3-4 levels with archer builds. Once you go in there is no getting out.

DD47E781A76733A9DDFB9EE98F3CF6AEFB5D8424

Then my buddy built his keep

AFE5F909C609E66BC563E89AC526A0991F1990B3

It is not all about pvp, it is about what cool shit you can do in the game.

Even though i love to pvp 1st

• Like 1

Base building is what I'm really waiting for! It's the big opportunity to really make Dayz standout if they get it right and I just hope that team are taking notes from all the other games that have got it so wrong and right.

I've played a hell of a lot of base building games over the years and I have to say the best experience I've had so far is with Exile mod.

Specific chargers for specific walls, generally quite hard to get and it is a very time consuming to raid someones base but still rewarding and worthwhile. Multiple approaches to steal loot (lock picking / hacking / thermal scanners etc). All raiding tools though are hard to come by and take time and effort to farm. Then there's the risk that it will all go wrong anyway and you lose everything.

This system introduced into Dayz I think would bring us onto a winner! 

To date though I've not seen one base building system that truly looks aesthetically pleasing. Generally speaking you can make some good designs on most servers but I hope we don't have ugly boxes and towers everywhere. I also hope we don't have loads of flap pack items and instead we have to properly build them.

Edited by Caatalyst
  • Like 1

On the =UN= Community server, we are currently attempting a Trade Center type of base. So far it's drawn many players to the server, with the one setback being that the RP community is not very active. That may be more about this group of individual players rather than RPers on the whole. They have successfully maintained at Base a Lopatino Castle for 2 and a half week before getting successfully raided. They repelled over 8 attacking groups during that stretch that stumbled upon them. A committed group with a quality leader could be a huge difference maker to any server community if they can have a perma location. We have an outstanding Trade Center admin, but he needs players around him.

Trade_Center.jpg

Edited by IRISHMIKE

"Base building almost here " - Irish; 2016 ....

it is now the year 2027 , the apes have taken over mostly everything yet dayz is still in .... alpha ??!?

• Haha 1

I'll build myself a hangout place and hang out with people to trick into doing crazy stuff

Edited by Pyongo Bongo

@blackberrygoo I've been doing basebuilding for about that long already, maybe you're just playing the game wrong...

On 7/22/2017 at 5:50 AM, blackberrygoo said:

"Base building almost here " - Irish; 2016 ....

it is now the year 2027 , the apes have taken over mostly everything yet dayz is still in .... alpha ??!?

Is that base building even close now? or is it going to be in beta?

Not counting tents on flat surfaces, alignment i don't think is fixed yet either.

Ah, yeah. . Looks like a lot of time has passed since the Devs have announced Base Building. . Hrm. 

I am actually on the excited team for Base Building, however. It will do so many things for the game that I think people will want to spend much more time on the game, itself.

1.) Gives New/Old Players a sense of purpose when you join a server and become a part of a Faction. - You'd have a communal project that you share with others, and most likely now have many enemies.

2.) Faction Set-Up finally tangible. - With any kind of base you can think of, you could have Gangsters in a built-up part of a city. . Could have Rangers or Cannibals out on the outskirts.

3.) RP will blow up big when you can start making places 'safer' and more secure. Giving players a sense of ownership in the game, more than just the loot you find, is paramount.

4.) In order for this to work well, Infected would likely be more finished in that: They can break down doors, pass on multiple diseases, are wild enough to truly see them as a threat.

• Like 1

@Espa Great post :)

I too would see base building a great thing for factions/clans to build up. Originally it is probably visioned that clans and factions will be created manually by people with the help of forums, or/and just agreemend between real friends. But I think there wouldn't be created much "teams", "factions", or "clans" whatever we want to call it. I hope that Devs will throw in default factions as you point out in second point. It would be truly awesome, and it would really function if there also would be some kind of laws functions, so you couldn't kill a player from your faction without consequences. It should also be possible to say who is representing which faction from visual references. Also would be great to play "capture the flag" type of games between factions. 

I know I'm going a bit too far there lol If it is not visioned by default, then I hope it will be possible to make via modding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

@Espa Great post :)

I too would see base building a great thing for factions/clans to build up. Originally it is probably visioned that clans and factions will be created manually by people with the help of forums, or/and just agreemend between real friends. But I think there wouldn't be created much "teams", "factions", or "clans" whatever we want to call it. I hope that Devs will throw in default factions as you point out in second point. It would be truly awesome, and it would really function if there also would be some kind of laws functions, so you couldn't kill a player from your faction without consequences. It should also be possible to say who is representing which faction from visual references. Also would be great to play "capture the flag" type of games between factions. 

I know I'm going a bit too far there lol If it is not visioned by default, then I hope it will be possible to make via modding.

I'm sure all of that and more will come between the Dev's efforts and Modders. - If Modders get activated in .63, then we can customized our own gang clothing at that point - If not a lot more. Graffiti and all sorts of other things that will make the game so much more realistic and alive.

It's great to see so much discussion about base building but what worries me.... Will it actually make it into the final release?

I haven't played Dayz properly for a while now - Put many ours into this game a couple years back. I've been waiting for that end game content (base building etc). I do however keep my eye on the dev blog to see how things are progressing and I haven't seen any updates relating to base building. Now there is so much talk of beta been so close that makes me think that features are done and it is now over to optimisation. With that said, maybe it is no longer on the cards? Has anyone seen anything posted by the devs relating to base building in the last 12 months?

Edited by Caatalyst
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Caatalyst said:

It's great to see so much discussion about base building but what worries me.... Will it actually make it into the final release?

I haven't played Dayz properly for a while now - Put many ours into this game a couple years back. I've been waiting for that end game content (base building etc). I do however keep my eye on the dev blog to see how things are progressing and I haven't seen any updates relating to base building. Now there is so much talk of beta been so close that makes me think that features are done and it is now over to optimisation. With that said, maybe it is no longer on the cards? Has anyone seen anything posted by the devs relating to base building in the last 12 months?

No the devs screwed their priorities because they are perfectionists (positive assumption) or they just love making publicity at those silly ass game shows which made them complacent (negative but more realistic assumption). The devs adamantly stated so many times that all the features would be in BEFORE BETA , now they go back on their word because of game show greed . Well done devvies , well done . Base building is still planned btw - devs just screwed us with the timing of the implementation ...

i was so disappointed in them when I heard Hicks first announce that , it's literally the one thing I saw as still truthful regardless of all the setbacks ... in spite of all the delays I still had hope that when beta arrived we would all be flying choppers and building / raiding bases , I guess we'll have to wait months , maybe even a half a year AFTER the start of beta to simply play with the mechanics that should have been here long before those two massive graphic overhauls !

a 2-3 year development cycle is slowly turning into a 3.5 -4.5 year cycle , 1 and a half years delay when the game will finally be feature complete I'm guessing - it's typical for games to be delayed but it's not like dayz doesn't have bug crushing help . A year or more of delays just seems like a ridiculous amount for a game of such small scope (we haven't even seen half of the mechanics together , yet they are just going to work as soon as they are snapped into place with the new engine? Doubtful , I'm guessing we're in for a long disappointing beta ride ).

Edited by blackberrygoo

@blackberrygoo  I've got two words for you:  Technology Debt.  Learn these words, understand what they mean.  Stop shitposting about things that you should damn-well know by now.  It's embarassing.  We've known since 2016 that it was going to take a while to build a new engine.

You're like that one guy who goes to a barbecue, and complains that the smoked briskit is taking too long.
Oh shit, too many people showed up to the barbecue, instead being lame of giving them all hamburgers and hot dogs, they decide to roast a whole pig in a hole in the ground.  It is going to take some time, and no amount of bitching will speed up what is already buried and cooking.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, emuthreat said:

@blackberrygoo  I've got two words for you:  Technology Debt.  Learn these words, understand what they mean.  Stop shitposting about things that you should damn-well know by now.  It's embarassing.  We've known since 2016 that it was going to take a while to build a new engine.

You're like that one guy who goes to a barbecue, and complains that the smoked briskit is taking too long.
Oh shit, too many people showed up to the barbecue, instead being lame of giving them all hamburgers and hot dogs, they decide to roast a whole pig in a hole in the ground.  It is going to take some time, and no amount of bitching will speed up what is already buried and cooking.

I completely agree with everything you have said, but it is just not him it is all of us that forget these things.

We just lack positive information, pieces of the puzzle and where we stand.

People are impatient and eager to explore a game like dayz with all the features. They see these in other engines like unity and expect it to be easy to do with dayz engines.

Dayz is a new flagship game for BI, in my opinion and expect it to be good in the end :)

• Like 1

The Trade Center is up at Lopatino Castle on the =UN= Community Server, and since its re-opening the server has been completely packed!

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2017 at 1:35 PM, emuthreat said:

Lol . Nice analogy man - you seem to be completely infatuated with this game and will defend it no matter what , I guess I can understand that ... Ignorance must be bliss. I'll be back to play the forum game closer to beta which should be "soon" .

1 hour ago, blackberrygoo said:

Lol . Nice analogy man - you seem to be completely infatuated with this game and will defend it no matter what , I guess I can understand that ... Ignorance must be bliss. I'll be back to play the forum game closer to beta which should be "soon" .

You've been around here a long time.  I figured it was reasonable to assume that you understood how development of DayZ works by now.  Really, that's it.  You know about the new engine and scripting language, because I've seen you discussing it.

We've known it was going to be a long process with unforseen delays ever since they scrapped the 2015 roadmap. So what's up with the whining about it taking too long?  Did you forget pieces information that you already knew?  Did something else change that I'm not aware of yet?

• Like 1

Since the past 4 SR have been full of complete BS.. I'd say not too soon Wolf.