DR. IRISHMIKE

DayZ Standalone Base Building is almost here! How do you plan to use it?

3 hours ago, Solopopo said:

This is so pathetic. I've been enjoying the glory of base buildingng with Arma 3 Exile mod. I gave up on waiting for BI to deliver on things their games have already had for years. 

wot

Jokes aside i know what you mean, but you have to praise BI to allow such intricate modding opportunities to provide you with such satisfaction. (Exile)

• Like 2

On 1/15/2017 at 0:13 AM, DannyDog said:

wot

Jokes aside i know what you mean, but you have to praise BI to allow such intricate modding opportunities to provide you with such satisfaction. (Exile)

You mean epoch again, the devs are not really working on exile anymore. Its all unofficial now, but it was fun while it lasted, hopefully it doesn't get broken again by arma 1,67

51 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

You mean epoch again, the devs are not really working on exile anymore. Its all unofficial now, but it was fun while it lasted, hopefully it doesn't get broken again by arma 1,67

The guy i replied to was talking about Arma 3 Exile mod.

I know that the dev for exile quit awhile ago.

• Like 1

I will use this thread if the devs are watching it.

One of the biggest issues we have with online base building is the way things snap together.

I worked with another person that made a great mod for ARK. I suggested some of the things, as i started to open up more eyes to castle building. The advanced building mod was one of the best things added to ark. Concept was awesome.

Angled roof's left the tops exposed and we needed to fill that in, to make it look right. I know it means nothing to the actual build but it felt right to fix it.

So here is what a house should look like in ark.

maxresdefault.jpg

The stairs need to snap, and sink into the ground. The walls should flow nicely to the roof angles and cut off anything else. Snapping in ARK was very important, because in the beginning they did not think basebuilding would be so involved.

Visit

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539464369

Please visit Arma 3 Epoch Mod

http://epochmod.com/

Also we have Arma 3 Exile

http://www.exilemod.com/

There is many people that start to make base building in their game but fail to actually understand the need to make it look right. Halfwalls, Small filler sections, ramps, stairs, ladders, wall sections and roofing angled.

Angles on walls was nice feature EXO made for the community.

visit https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=778466491&searchtext=

Many of these features may not seem important to some people, but to others i want my base to feel cool, even if i play the game all by myself i wanted it to look right.

Visit

http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-0-60-base-building-items-walls-watchtower-storage-3d-model-preview/

This is one thing i do not want anymore, this is ugly, and it is in rust, ark, and many other games. It feels fake, like a mindcraft screenshot. I want it to flow correctly.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is what i want to see...

dayz-rtx-2015-hq-base-building-album-sho

and i would like the ability to add to it and make things like this

YwuqIiu.jpg

• Like 1

maybe in some RP server bases could work but in regular...its so easy to spot those bases.
there should be some great award if you build base...but if its only storage for your stuff...too risky.

Unless bases disappear with you when you logout, its a complete waste of time. I had my fair share of base building back in the mod and it always ended up the same. Completely looted and destroyed while your team is not online by a cheater or a lucker (most likely the first. Server was mine and by logs I banned more than one player who happened to "luckily" find 6 hidden bases in less than 15 minutes). Thus for the Standalone I never bothered with bases, and never will unless they can be made and enjoyed in an afternoon or they can be protected somehow with a 100% chance of sucess against cheaters (which I find impossible).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, p4triot said:

Unless bases disappear with you when you logout, its a complete waste of time. I had my fair share of base building back in the mod and it always ended up the same. Completely looted and destroyed while your team is not online by a cheater or a lucker (most likely the first. Server was mine and by logs I banned more than one player who happened to "luckily" find 6 hidden bases in less than 15 minutes). Thus for the Standalone I never bothered with bases, and never will unless they can be made and enjoyed in an afternoon or they can be protected somehow with a 100% chance of sucess against cheaters (which I find impossible).

Private server?

This is where scripting of offline base raiding forbid. It can be done.

Also you can script in like what we did with exile in arma 3

Origins mod has interesting basebuilding. Most of structures look like they are made from scrap material. I hope that gathering building materials will be made somewhat realistic.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2017 at 5:37 PM, p4triot said:

Basebuilding in most "survival" games has been ruined in this way. One possible solution would be absolute protection with only a few points of vulnerability that place the attackers at a disadvantage (e.g. spawn horde of zombies, loud noises heard within bubble, long duration for lockpicking, etc.) Realism in this context will only result in the situations we have all seen; a field day for cheater-griefers...

Brian Hicks shared some ideas the developers had about base building some time ago. I'm hoping to see this in game soon, as it would definately bring back a good portion of players.

23 hours ago, IRISHMIKE said:

Brian Hicks shared some ideas the developers had about base building some time ago. I'm hoping to see this in game soon, as it would definately bring back a good portion of players.

Pretty excited in seeing how it will all go. Even if it is just enough to defend against others but with the ability to lock some of it down.

• Like 1

I'd love to see barricading almost more than anything.    

Beyond that for the lone wolves or very small groups.  That may have desire a small shack/camp site.  I'd like to see more options for camouflaging structures or tents.    

Perhaps using a stack of netting and rope to create "improvised structure netting"  and being able to add a stack of brush OR grass (for a green setting)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NickNasty6 said:

I'd love to see barricading almost more than anything.    

Beyond that for the lone wolves or very small groups.  That may have desire a small shack/camp site.  I'd like to see more options for camouflaging structures or tents.    

Perhaps using a stack of netting and rope to create "improvised structure netting"  and being able to add a stack of brush OR grass (for a green setting)

maxresdefault.jpg

Dude, you made me smile with this post.

It would be awesome if we could make a sniper, hunting outfit like this, since we can make ghillies this should not be too hard to implement into the game.

Many uses for it in dayz. Either events like ours, PVP faction type based or for normal PVE hunting areas.

We could do it via crafting, and have objects found around the area such as leaves, sticks, improvised rope, maybe mud, or tree sap, and the ability to put a fire kit inside.

If the devs are not able to do something like this, Modding crafting system mod can be added later on. Perfect idea for dayz. So many options can be added.

• Like 1

I hope major base construction is no simple task and with new player controller/weight/stamina it should require a vehicle to haul a lot of materials around.  

IMO to regain balance to the coastal cities and make them viable  assuming current loot economy/heat map is roughly wht to expect at 1.0.  Those random scrap piles/wood piles should be lootable in the Factory/Industrial areas.  Having vehicles in Cherno for example to load up wood/metal  + zombies particularly a zombie herd  and the threat of other people there to do the same or to simply ambush is a wonderful scenario. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Dude, you made me smile with this post.

It would be awesome if we could make a sniper, hunting outfit like this, since we can make ghillies this should not be too hard to implement into the game.

Many uses for it in dayz. Either events like ours, PVP faction type based or for normal PVE hunting areas.

We could do it via crafting, and have objects found around the area such as leaves, sticks, improvised rope, maybe mud, or tree sap, and the ability to put a fire kit inside.

If the devs are not able to do something like this, Modding crafting system mod can be added later on. Perfect idea for dayz. So many options can be added.

This would not only be great in Deer stands, but also in larger bases for additional peek-a-boo

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NickNasty6 said:

I hope major base construction is no simple task and with new player controller/weight/stamina it should require a vehicle to haul a lot of materials around.  

IMO to regain balance to the coastal cities and make them viable  assuming current loot economy/heat map is roughly wht to expect at 1.0.  Those random scrap piles/wood piles should be lootable in the Factory/Industrial areas.  Having vehicles in Cherno for example to load up wood/metal  + zombies particularly a zombie herd  and the threat of other people there to do the same or to simply ambush is a wonderful scenario. 

That is usually how the weight system works, but to make it much better i agree vehicles to carry large sheets of metal, either raw materials such as sand, steel, wood, etc.. No way we can carry this in our backpacks.

So if they do decide to make vehicles a primary tool to carry items, then i defiantly want the vs3 truck, to load everything on.

If we can adjust any of the loots, i agree most of it should be sub categorized to each of the builds. We can do that if the loot adjustments are available on private. If public they will be hive controlled by the hive.

I honestly think each non official server should get off of the hive, and run a local sql database. An official server has to be either box rented, directly contracted through bi first. Other servers are not hooked to it, not contracted with BI.

When the time comes to install on a dedi box, that is. So you can adjust loot, adjust locations and script whatever you feel you want your server to look like.

I am just so eager to get started.....

• Like 1

Also can't wait to see how the new forests will look and how it could play into pvp, basebuilding, and camps.   

Base building in DayZ Standalone needs to be completely different to the mods, Ark, Rust etc.

• There should not be fully protected bases, as in indestructible bases. With the right equipment and time, you should be able to break into a base.
  • Will there be griefing of bases? Of course, but why build a base if you aren't going to protect it?
  • I don't want to see people crafting defensive positions in the middle of a gun fight (ala Rust). There should be a long animation when you are crafting something like a wall.
  • Bases should be built with what is available and limited crafting. By that I mean, just because you have some indeterminate metal, doesn't mean you can craft a metal wall. To do that you will specifically need metal sheeting, which you need to find, not craft.
  • Bases will also be built around existing structures, which can be fortified. If you want a house or building in your base, then build the walls etc around the building. Constructing buildings I believe is going too far for DayZ SA.
  • Moving shipping containers? Hmmmm...that is a tough one. Is it feasible within the mechanics and direction of the game? Maybe, but again I think it is going to far for DayZ SA.
  • Regarding server hopping into bases, this is a tough one. One suggestion is that if a wall is completed (linked with gates etc) around an area, then no one can spawn in that area unless they logged of in that area, on that server. Is this feasible? i don't know.... Easiest fix for this is private hives, but public is still around, so....

Will all of this change once modding is available? Of course!! We will see servers with indestructible sky towers with minigun drones defending it with heli pads sticking out 50m from the tower on top of a bridge!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mad Scientist said:

Base building in DayZ Standalone needs to be completely different to the mods, Ark, Rust etc.

• There should not be fully protected bases, as in indestructible bases. With the right equipment and time, you should be able to break into a base.
  • Will there be griefing of bases? Of course, but why build a base if you aren't going to protect it?
  • I don't want to see people crafting defensive positions in the middle of a gun fight (ala Rust). There should be a long animation when you are crafting something like a wall.
  • Bases should be built with what is available and limited crafting. By that I mean, just because you have some indeterminate metal, doesn't mean you can craft a metal wall. To do that you will specifically need metal sheeting, which you need to find, not craft.
  • Bases will also be built around existing structures, which can be fortified. If you want a house or building in your base, then build the walls etc around the building. Constructing buildings I believe is going too far for DayZ SA.
  • Moving shipping containers? Hmmmm...that is a tough one. Is it feasible within the mechanics and direction of the game? Maybe, but again I think it is going to far for DayZ SA.
  • Regarding server hopping into bases, this is a tough one. One suggestion is that if a wall is completed (linked with gates etc) around an area, then no one can spawn in that area unless they logged of in that area, on that server. Is this feasible? i don't know.... Easiest fix for this is private hives, but public is still around, so....

Will all of this change once modding is available? Of course!! We will see servers with indestructible sky towers with minigun drones defending it with heli pads sticking out 50m from the tower on top of a bridge!!!

Server hoping into a base can be avoided with code checks, and area checks. You can safely move the player to a spawn location around the map, if the person is within 10 feet of someone's base.

Or shoot the guy in a safe location non spawn area, just strictly for base spawning issues. Such as the vybor bridge, as an example.

We don't want to have base building too extreme. Defeats the purpose of survival, and compounds that people would create in a RL environment. You still want the ability to protect your things. Offline base raiding is another poor example people use as an exploit in many of those games you posted. I am sure there are many ways we can destroy an entrance to the base, get in safely, get out safely. I think all of the games you listed, and many more you haven't, have proven how easy it is to exploit every option known to get into a base, or find ways to steal objects from glitching. I hope one day we can have a game that actually makes it rather difficult to get into a base, and your forced to find a solution to get into it.

Simply finding a bomb to destroy the walls, will be rather difficult to find. Finding ladders on the other hand, might be much easier to find.

On the end of climbing that ladder is a shotgun set to spring load when you climb up :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolf of Thorns said:

Personally, I cannot wait for base building to arrive.

That many of us agree on, for your first post i liked it :)

• Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 2:04 PM, sneakydude said:

That many of us agree on, for your first post i liked it :)

Thank you, good sir.