DR. IRISHMIKE

DayZ Standalone Base Building is almost here! How do you plan to use it?

11 hours ago, igor-vk said:

Bases should be protection against zeds and predator animals, more than players. And there should be some base-specific items that you couldnt buid without base, like meat drying or water reservoars. There should be chance that bear or wolf destroys your tent in middle of woods if he smells food inside. Base building on high pop public servers will be hard with all pvp hungry players. I think it will be better on private role playing servers with some rules. 

Anyway, it will be hard to balance it and to make it work and to get to majority of players to like it.

I do think the the Private server experience offers something that Public servers miss out on, and that is a more regular player base. I greatly enjoy seeing when my Clans enemies or friendlies log in on our server. There are also always those randoms that you don't know at all or have only seen a few times, but by and large I enjoy the experience of having knowledge of who is who in most situations in game (especially in terms of what the clans are all about). Some players dont care if everydays gaming experience in DayZ offers completely different players or that Publics tend to draw younger players than Privates do. The Private servers though do tend to have a lot more "regulars" in terms of both Players and Clans. Thus, I see base building on Privates, and eventually Mods being much greater part of those private server communities. Publics too have a real problem not only with hacking, but also with the ruined loot economy. It's just way too easy to server hop and gear up do to the multiple connections to the hive. On Privates that only have one connection to the hive, it's more "DayZ the way it was made to be played" (at least in my mind it is). Since about 75% of our population that plays on our server does it as a group of solos or established clans, I'm guessing we'll have up near 20 bases at some point on the server once the mods come in and you can do more with them (hiding them or placing them in hard to reach areas, etc)

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bludy said:

if safeboxes, gates and doors, locked cars will havea counter i'm ok with it. I hope they don't come out with unbreakable bases or that keys of the car feature.

everything will be hoarded even with the most honest admins around, barrels, tents, any vehicle in the map..just wait for the little bird to come and you'll see..

Brian Hicks did say in the video I posted that there will never be an unbreakable base. I do think though that the catch on that may be that a well designed base, in a well thought out location could be easy to defend for even a single player. That said, since it takes some skill to manage all that, and the fact that no clan or player is on 100% of the time, All bases can be looted if the "burgler" is also smart about his business!

Edited by IRISHMIKE

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

Bases are great timesinks, which DayZ sorely lacks at the moment. 

We have a clan of about 17 players, and about 10 are very active for the most part. All of our active players can't stop talking about what Base Building can do for how we carry out our business, or for how we can use it to our advantage when hosting PVP events on the server or for storage. I'm guessing we have 5-6 that at least when it comes out in game, will be more about base building than they are about pvp (which is huge to us) and looting (also huge to us). We have a concept that may sound weird at first, but if you think it through is pretty solid based on what we know about the game. In a nutshell, I think the best base isn't unlootable, it's just put together in a way where the persisntent storage within the base can survive most "burgleries" and allow for the shelves to be restored through more looting. The best base is also easy to defend due to it's location, and design (A whole bunch can be done to create narrow passages that are difficult to breach). That was my original intent on this thread, is to not only discuss base building in a general way, but to also share ideas we have about specific ways or places to base build, such as some of the examples I have provided.

If we place our base somewhere difficult to loot, like say on top of Triple Yellow as I mentioned earlier, All tents except Car Tents can be carried up the ladder. Car Tents or Barrels would have to be brought via Heli storage one or two at a time up to the top, where they could be placed inside the building already large rooms or within the base walls (or a few at both). Having a base in a location where the ladder processs hinders or excludes the actual storage items from being carried off creates a longer process for the "burgler" stealing loot and even if they have the time to grab it, climb up and down the ladder with gear, the worst thing that happens in most cases is you lose loot (which is normal DayZ) but you still end up with all your storage and your base intact in most cases. All that time looting too, and transfering gear up and down also gives us time to have someone log in and defend the loot. I think situations like that are about the most a Base builder can hope for, not to mention using a well hidden stash for the very best of the loot, in base or away from it.

Edited by IRISHMIKE

2 hours ago, EdStaffordZombie said:

I don't get how base building could be included on Dayz, I mean, I love base building in dayz mod and also in arma 3 mods, but actually it does not make any sense to me.

Yeah of course is a cool feature to build your own base but, what is the point about building it?

I think that the neccesary features on dayz nowadays is to have more objectives, more dinamic events like helicrashes, more animals, more life on chernarus. Base building seems to me like a final feature to be added.

For me the base building that could be viable would be to add cargo to a cow for example, like shoppers in fallout 4. We need more things to do on the map, not a place to be hidden until you get bored of the game.

Nice discussion! ;)

Welcome to the discussion, and thanks for participating. I have two answers that I believe are revolutionary to the DayZ experience related to your question! I hope I dont let you down...

Ok, as to why Base Building can offer something thats different, keep in mind that whether it comes in game or with mods, when we can place bases pretty much wherever we are wanting to build (like in real life) defending a base becomes a real possibility and another extension of a potential PVP situation. This is huge for First Person Hard Core PVP Servers like mine! If you go through some of my posts on this thread I actually break own some of the ways we will use our base, and even share ways we may choose to create it that would clearly add to the game.

The best potential though for Base Building might be something entirely different, and come through Mods. Could you imagine some in game scenarios like the following missions to change the pace of "Open World" PVP that DayZ is built around:

- In game mission to use your base to hold off a "herd" of a few hundred Zombies, or even Zombies and other Clans that are coming to not only test your PVP skills, base building decisions, but also to capture a barrel reward with some of the games best weapons and ammo. If you hold off the herd and attacking clans for a certain time length, the barrel is yours, if not, then whatever clan can breach first and capture the barrel gets the reward. The best weapons are always great bait for PVP Clans to come hunting for you! But maybe your group will not only kill them and take their loot, but you can also win the reward loot!

- Or, an in game mission to defend your base where you have captured a high ranking government official who was responsible for the virus destroying the world, and rival clans want to breach your base and capture the hostage. If a clan can captures him and get him to their base and hold him for a certain time limit, they win the event. If you hold him at your base, or recapture him for said time then you win the event. Who knows what type of reward a difficult mission like this has to offer. Maybe a map to the Heli locations in game at a certain time?

- or, an in game annoucement regarding a Heli Crash somewhere in gerneral on the map. The mission requires you or your clan to reach a given Heli Crash where a Rival Clan Prisoner has survived a Heli crash while he was being transported from Novo to Prison Island. You have to fight off both zombies and other Clans also trying to capture him and return him to your base in order to interogate him/her and win classified information about a hidden cache of weapons, food, and ammo. At that point, the clan has a time limit to reach the cache destination and carry all you can until the time limit concludes (while other clans are aggressively looking for you on the map). Note: You will have to fight through Zombies to reach him (they may kill him if you take too long) and you will have to fight through Zombies to breach the cache. Keep in mind other clans want to also drink your milkshake!

- Or, someone in your clan has brought in a barrel full of meat, lime, and seeds (and some large water storage) that seems to be attracting an unusual amount of Zombies wanting to get to it. They seem fully aware of where it is in your base and are gathering in large numbers trying to breach your base and consume it. If you defend the food successfully, its all yours, or if you defend a portion of it you keep whatever you can defend from the Zombie Army. You better have a well planned Zombie defense!

Ok - So as I said, I think the mods in particular will offer some amazing pvp and in game opportunities. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I actually have a thread up in these forums asking people to share their ideas for mini game scenarios so we can actually start creating a list of ideas for when the mods come. I know my server population is planning on being a leader in the mod community and we will hit the ground running when they become available. With a base group of 25ish small to medium clans you can imagine how much fun this could be and what types of DayZ opportunites we can create.

1tr9ex.png

Edited by IRISHMIKE

So i expect to see tanks or bulldozers put in game. That way we can just plow down unsightly bases where they shouldn't be. xD

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GuyRandomMan said:

They should hold off on base building and focus on more important things *cough* bug fixes *cough*

I think that goes without saying. However, this thread is about when it does actually get here. Base Building will without question be one more revolutionary aspect to DayZ gaming. I think it will be on par with the new renderer in terms of how much "good stuff' it brings to the game.

Edited by IRISHMIKE

I will probably build small cabin on a low pop server just to go through the experience but in typical game play I will be a minimalist. A barrel or two for resupply then back into the field. If they develop the possibility for burying containers then that will be my preferred choice. I used to build stone ovens and keep gear in them but now they despawn in about 30 minutes so that option has been made useless.  I would do the car thing like Emu does but even cars are fairly easy to spot. Not as obvious as tents but still pretty noticeable.

I guess when base building is fully implemented I will take up the profession of Raider. I will be the gnat in the ear of the clans. 

24 minutes ago, Deathlove said:

So i expect to see tanks or bulldozers put in game. That way we can just plow down unsightly bases where they shouldn't be. xD

How dare you. I will now loot your tacos!

Build one of these, mount my Mosin on pegs over the door, and watch the sun rise over the mountains

• Like 5

Just now, IRISHMIKE said:

How dare you. I will now loot your tacos!

Actually this is probably allot stronger than a tank considering it uses a bulldozer body with reinforced armor to make it almost a nightmare to fight.

I'd say leave the basebuilding to the modding community, it's to exploitable, in almost every way they want to implement it

on public hives it's almost impossible to make a well-defended base: once people know where it is, they can just log in to the base, if they can't because of some protection and get ported some distance away from the base, it can be exploited to deny access to some areas of the map, even if you can only build bases outside of cities
if you have such a restriction on where you can build, it breaks immersion, i want to see cities evolve via rooftop fortresses people build, but you know the community and know that such a thing is going to be exploited to hell, if it's to easy to build sturdy barricades, every good loot spot will be barred up in a few days

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZomboWTF said:

I'd say leave the basebuilding to the modding community, it's to exploitable, in almost every way they want to implement it

on public hives it's almost impossible to make a well-defended base: once people know where it is, they can just log in to the base, if they can't because of some protection and get ported some distance away from the base, it can be exploited to deny access to some areas of the map, even if you can only build bases outside of cities
if you have such a restriction on where you can build, it breaks immersion, i want to see cities evolve via rooftop fortresses people build, but you know the community and know that such a thing is going to be exploited to hell, if it's to easy to build sturdy barricades, every good loot spot will be barred up in a few days

War Z had a similar issue with barricades as you mentioned. People were boarding up homes and whatever they could find so no one else could get loot. I can see that happening with this game allot.

2 hours ago, GuyRandomMan said:

They should hold off on base building and focus on more important things *cough* bug fixes *cough*

The sooner they add the basebuilding mechanics, the sooner they can begin analyzing our feedback to tackle all the *cough* bugs *cough* associated with that aspect of the game.

2 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

The sooner they add the basebuilding mechanics, the sooner they can begin analyzing our feedback to tackle all the *cough* bugs *cough* associated with that aspect of the game.

What I was saying was that they should fix all the bugs in the current version of the game before adding new aspects into it.

1 hour ago, Deathlove said:

Actually this is probably allot stronger than a tank considering it uses a bulldozer body with reinforced armor to make it almost a nightmare to fight.

Two words: molotov cocktail.

Just now, emuthreat said:

Two words: molotov cocktail.

Yeah but no ones going to think of that most of the time. Especially when something like this just pops out of the blue and ppl have little experience with it.

29 minutes ago, ZomboWTF said:

This is really only a problem for private servers, as anyone on the public hive is free to loot up on any server they wish, and are free to come back and mount a coordinated assault on the base in question.  Peter said the walls will be able to be demolished from the outside by common tools such as crowbars.

And private servers can, of course, be wiped by the admins if they feel that abuse is taking place.

47 minutes ago, ZomboWTF said:

This point you've made is really true of all servers, both public and private, that have more than one connection to the hive. That's why I have always preferred playing on servers that only have one connection to the hive! Servers that offer that 'only one connection to the hive feature" will be wildly popular (they already are in fact) when base building comes into DayZ, especially with the mods.

14 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I want to be able to run around a server finding completely empty military zones up and down the map, and from that experience of finding very little loot, know that there is a high-density pilfering opportunity hiding somewhere on that server.  Doesn't it seem more organic and immersive to walk onto a server with sparse resources, and be able to take that as a sign of the high intensity of looting activity on that server?  What if a clan wants to establish a seed repository, and does the work collecting all packets of seeds on an entire server, to ensure a monopoly on their chosen item of trade?  Should the game makers preclude them from that opportunity because other people need opportunity to find the seeds freely?

And yes, Luc, I know that last bit is pretty much laissez faire capitalism, but it's just a game.  : P

Ye you are kind of right on this. I remember when some funny trolls put a military tent right in front of the officer-barrack at NWAF with the entrance facing the barracks entrance :D Nobody could get in that barrack anymoa because the tent can only be packed from the front side ^^

was a funny trollish idea tho

• Like 1

just a few thoughts on basebuilding

it will be necessary to build up bases, but how to defend it from intruders over time, not being online everytime?

i think there is only one solution for this problem. parts of walls and fences should have high value timers of destruction steps. maybe one step takes one hour out of 20 steps to destroy, if the wall is "prestine".

than a clan or a group or even a lonley survivor is able to get rid of the ongoing base raid.

partially destroyed walls and fences can be rebuilt as it takes plenty of time to build up such base defence parts, finding the needed crafting items included.

Edited by Funkdoc

8 minutes ago, Funkdoc said:

it will be necessary to build up bases, but how to defend it from intruders over time, not being online everytime?

i think there is only one solution for this problem. parts of walls and fences should have high value timers of destruction steps. maybe one step takes one hour out of 20 steps to destroy, if the wall is "prestine".

than a clan or a group or even a lonley survivor is able to get rid of the ongoing base raid.

partially destroyed walls and fences can be rebuilt as it takes plenty of time to build up such base defence parts, finding the needed crafting items included.

nothing should be impenetrable/indestructable.

Hopefully the devs will add lots of possibilities to set up traps (boobie traps, tripwire, mines, electric traps... and so on - all of which persists after restarts ofc)

• Like 2

yes that stuff is definetly coming...

another major problem is to protect the inside of the base of unknown character spawn (this will be too easy).

a spawn slide to a saver position anywhere around 100m of the base is a must, for everyone except the base owner(?)

20 minutes ago, Funkdoc said:

making bases impenetrable is the worst you could do, then you'd have dayz origins, people sitting on hundreds of guns and ammo, just not giving a shit if they die or not, because they only need to restock at the base

the most protective thing about a base should be it's location, not a great wall of china

6 minutes ago, ZomboWTF said:

making bases impenetrable is the worst you could do, then you'd have dayz origins, people sitting on hundreds of guns and ammo, just not giving a shit if they die or not, because they only need to restock at the base

the most protective thing about a base should be it's location, not a great wall of china

yea location and traps

Just imagine you make it into the center of a base and step over a well placed trip-wire and suddenly all containers around you will open up and a hoard of zombies on leashes are coming for you. As soon as you are dead the leashes get retracted, dragging the zeds safely back into their containers.

omgpls

Edited by Luc Tonnerre

sure, but the map is not endless and a camp is sighted very fast, lets say in at least 20 hours on high pop servers.

i am sure there will be maps in future that have big areas (forest) where u probably need gps to find ur own tent/camp again.

Edited by Funkdoc