DR. IRISHMIKE

DayZ Standalone Base Building is almost here! How do you plan to use it?

2mw5y0p.jpg

The incoming base building utilities for DayZ Standalone are going to be one more revolutionary addition to the game. Add to that thought the idea of mods coming soon to compliment the base building and I think it's safe to say "Clan Warfare" will become even more popular than it is now. I really like the diversity of what the devs are offering us. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs0Tk2hGXVk

Here is a collection of pictures of some of the items that are coming!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/249612142095874/

So now that the news is out there on what we have coming our way, how do you see your Clan or Server using Base Building? For Clan based gameplay I can see Bases having a huge impact on both Clan warfare and storage. I'm in particular interested in some of the heavy doors in the pictures that appear to be suited to house storage under ground. That could add quite a bit of adventure in terms of hyiding the cache undergrtound our in the middle of nowhere, or even in a heavy fortified base with barrels, etc on top of it to hide it. I'm already working on designs for a base similar to the one in the picture above. Or how about a base on the top of Triple Yellow complete with high walls and a Heli pad or two? One ladder up with already in game built-in building and rooms for indoor storage. When Mods allow players to place bases anywhere on the map that they want, they may not be impossible to breach, but they could certainly be made easier to defend. What are your thoughts on all this Base Building in DayZ Standalone?

=UN=Irish

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1

Im kind of mixed on this. At certain lvls i like this if its done properly however i can also see this as nothing more than an excuse for only specific ppl to take control of entire maps and pretty much troll everyone else with horded resources.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Deathlove said:

Im kind of mixed on this. At certain lvls i like this if its done properly however i can also see this as nothing more than an excuse for only specific ppl to take control of entire maps and pretty much troll everyone else with horded resources.

I think that is more of a problem on certain types of servers. The type of servers my Clan typically plays on that's almost never the case. For example, since it's a Multi Clan server, there are over 25 different groups, plus a host of solo players that are constantly raiding bases even in this type in game of no 'real' bases. Ultimately no base will be impossible to loot, but through smart base planning a clan or solo player can make it much easier to defend based on where you place it and how you design it. 

ps - I also love tacos. 

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, IRISHMIKE said:

ps - I also love

tacos. 

I might have to go to Tacobell to nab something now. I made chicken yesterday but i try to keep things varied so i don't get sick of the stuff i like. XD

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 2

I like the idea of improvised bases. What I don't like is having a base on this particular map when there are 100+ players (at some point) roaming around.

It's just too small to get anything done. There is no way to hide a base for any given time and I don't see myself running around and collection stuff just to get shot by the next KOS bandit.

It just doesn't make sense if the mapsize stays like this.

Either they have to add islands (because atm the whole southern sea is wasted space) and more and denser forrests, or they have to add infinite wilderness where the debug zone is right now.

(i don't even grammar cause I drank a whole bottle of beer)

Edited by Luc Tonnerre
  • Like 2

Nevermind the status of persistence- What is it again for the upcoming patch? Every 8 days you need to run around and interact with everything? 

I'm fine with the idea of perishable items gradually becoming ruined- I'm fine with things that should disappear disappearing over time and frankly 8 days isn't a bad timeline. But if an entire inventory of items is just going to evaporate because I didn't move a single inventory item from A to H in the inventory... that's just a stupid copout lending itself to a less than remarkable shooter. 

And originally we were told that was all that was needed in .59- except for that was wrong. People wasted a ton of time on that- and yet it sounds like it was working as intended since that's what we're STILL being told is going to happen in .60. So is that ALSO a mistake? 

Fack... 

• Like 2

I also think spending tones of time on a base just for it to suddenly disappear after a certain amount of time to be absurd. Why waste time on something your building that wont last for years on end? It would be like building a house in real life to live in just to have it vanish in a few days without any reason lol. I can understand the point of wanting to keep the map clutter free but your really destroying the bounds of a survival simulator when your bases vanish in a matter of days from no activity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luc Tonnerre said:

I like the idea of improvised bases. What I don't like is having a base on this particular map when there are 100+ players (at some point) roaming around.

It's just too small to get anything done. There is no way to hide a base for any given time and I don't see myself running around and collection stuff just to get shot by the next KOS bandit.

It just doesn't make sense if the mapsize stays like this.

Either they have to add islands (because atm the whole southern sea is wasted space) and more and denser forrests, or they have to add infinite wilderness where the debug zone is right now.

(i don't even grammar cause I drank a whole bottle of beer)

Luc,

I think the mods will help with this. There are places on the map that I'm guessing for whatever reason bases will not be allowed to be placed at until mods come in. I used an example of a base up on top of Tripple yellow. Can you imagine the security a clan could have with a base up there? Only one way up via a ladder, and the large platforms on the sides of Triple Yellow would allow for Heli pads to go up there, and if the walls were double stacked like the original picture on this thread snipers wouldnt be nearly the threat they normally are. Players could fly in or climb the ladder, but that in itself makes a base highly defendable, especially if you consider having strategic places to defend the ladder behind the walls. You could place tents up there, Heli Barrels there, or use the indoor areas of Triple Yellow if you didn't like the outside for whatever reason. Car Tents could easily fit as well to both block views and store loot. There are other new industrial buildings, churches or barns too that could offer defendable bases. I do think that the bease concept in DayZ will be more viable if clans are using them, rather than single players, but I guess we will have to see exactly what comes out before that can really be looked at.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deathlove said:

I also think spending tones of time on a base just for it to suddenly disappear after a certain amount of time to be absurd. Why waste time on something your building that wont last for years on end? It would be like building a house in real life to live in just to have it vanish in a few days without any reason lol. I can understand the point of wanting to keep the map clutter free but your really destroying the bounds of a survival simulator when your bases vanish in a matter of days from no activity.

Mods well likely be the answer to longer standing base times. I don't have a problem with damage to walls in combat, especially if explosives and rocket launchers are in game, but they (walls, etc) should be replacable. I also don't mind time to pass and wear and tear to require fixing base walls. It would be fun to defend bases and attempt to capture bases.

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IRISHMIKE said:

Mods weill likely be the answer to longer standing base times. I don't have a problem with damage to walls in combat, especially if explosives and rocket launchers are in game, but they should be replacable. I also don't mind time to pass and wear and tear require fixing base walls. It would be fun to defend bases and attemp to capture bases.

No, items should remain pristine no matter if its sandbags or concrete for much much longer periods of time as long as its not disturbed by extreme natural disasters or man made ones. The deterioration of these materials in a matter of days is unrealistic. If that were the case than i argue that the houses of Cherno should all be rubble now without anyone repairing them depending on how many months and years its been.

Edited by Deathlove

15 minutes ago, Deathlove said:

No, items should remain pristine no matter if its sandbags or concrete for much much longer periods of time as long as its not disturbed by extreme natural disasters or man made ones. The deterioration of these materials in a matter of days is unrealistic. If that were the case than i argue that the houses of Cherno should all be rubble now without anyone repairing them depending on how many months and years its been.

Right. I agree. Mods however will let the admins determine the 'pristine' life of the walls, huts, materials, etc used in base building. It will be completely subject to how the admins set that up in the mods so that they have a reasonable usage period. Only a day or two wouldnt make it worth it at all. I agree with you. In fact, it would make more sense if the building materials had the same life as barrels, carrycases, tents, etc in my opinion. 

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eno said:

Nevermind the status of persistence- What is it again for the upcoming patch? Every 8 days you need to run around and interact with everything? 

I'm fine with the idea of perishable items gradually becoming ruined- I'm fine with things that should disappear disappearing over time and frankly 8 days isn't a bad timeline. But if an entire inventory of items is just going to evaporate because I didn't move a single inventory item from A to H in the inventory... that's just a stupid copout lending itself to a less than remarkable shooter. 

And originally we were told that was all that was needed in .59- except for that was wrong. People wasted a ton of time on that- and yet it sounds like it was working as intended since that's what we're STILL being told is going to happen in .60. So is that ALSO a mistake? 

Fack... 

Building materials for walls, lookout towers, etc would make more sense if they had the life of barrels, tents, carry cases, etc. If they dont put it that way in game, I expect the mod servers to put it in that way. Also, I do think they should be able to be damaged by explosives, gun shots, etc which would of course require fixing the damage to get it back to Pristine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deathlove said:

That's the point, I think.  It will be up to each player to find their own public server to call home; fighting over control of resources among the other players on that server.  It is, and always has been, a game designed to suit "interdimensional warfare" between the players calling different servers their home.  All of this live-out-of-your-backpack stuff has just been for practicing looting and shooting; the real game is still quite a ways out at this point.

If you find a server has been dominated by another group, you have two options:  Go find another server to play on, or fight the current masters of the server for control of the map.  What's wrong with that?

1 hour ago, IRISHMIKE said:

Mods well likely be the answer to longer standing base times. I don't have a problem with damage to walls in combat, especially if explosives and rocket launchers are in game, but they should be replacable. I also don't mind time to pass and wear and tear require fixing base walls. It would be fun to defend bases and attemp to capture bases.

If we have to wait for mods to be made, so that long-term basebuilding is viable. then the developers have failed to make their game.  Vanilla should work.

In the current state, any form of basebuilding is pretty much pointless.  We need to demand 4 week persistence on storage containers, and a decay reset mechanic that actually works.

• Like 4

Ok, lets all take a deep breath and try to understand what Brian Hicks actually said in OPs video link :)

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with degrading items since it helps keeping the servers from being overflodded by loot-goblins. He also mentioned that there will be a quick and easy way to "update" your base (probably similar to "maintaining" the base via a plot-pole like in dayZ overpoch/epoch)

I really don't think the devs are so short-sighted that they will fail to come up with a solution for this.

Right now my concerns are how the loot-economy will react if a small group of players hoard thousands of items in their bases. Will stuff still spawn in towns or in military locations?
Not to mention the possibility of "ghosting" into another players base on public servers.

Also, like in the mod, it will be up to the server admins to clean their servers once in a while when they notice that bases are abandoned and the owner left the server.

@IRISHMIKE
personally I hope there will be no artificial restrictions on where I am allowed to pitch my tent or build my base. As long as the engine allows it, there should not be a rule against building on tripple-yellow. I know it's crap if a clan owns this spot and starts to harrass all players in cherno, but hey, that's DayZ :) Survival of the fittest :)
If there is an OP base on tripple yellow, I want to see the rest of the players trying to take it down instead of having some "rules" that would forbid building there. It's just more dynamic and realistic imo.

• Like 3

I would like to have a word from the devs on this. Maybe even a little Q/A or a healthy brainstorming.
I know that Brian clarified lots of things in the past but it's been a while and I am really eager to contribute some of my own ideas or see ideas from the community taken into the devs calculations.

Edited by Luc Tonnerre
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

That's the point, I think.  It will be up to each player to find their own public server to call home; fighting over control of resources among the other players on that server.  It is, and always has been, a game designed to suit "interdimensional warfare" between the players calling different servers their home.  All of this live-out-of-your-backpack stuff has just been for practicing looting and shooting; the real game is still quite a ways out at this point.

If you find a server has been dominated by another group, you have two options:  Go find another server to play on, or fight the current masters of the server for control of the map.  What's wrong with that?

If we have to wait for mods to be made, so that long-term basebuilding is viable. then the developers have failed to make their game.  Vanilla should work.

In the current state, any form of basebuilding is pretty much pointless.  We need to demand 4 week persistence on storage containers, and a decay reset mechanic that actually works.

I think thats all pretty much spot on. I seriously doubt they plan on having Bases despawn after only a few days or even a week. I also could see them making them so they degrade after a few weeks if left alone, but I'd also guess they can be "renewed" like how we use sewing kits to fix damaged clothing. Given the amount of time Hicks suggested in the video that it will take to make a base like the examples he provided, I doubt we have to worry about bases decaying too fast.

I just know that the 8-day timer implemented on .59 in early March has been a disaster for most people who liked setting up camps.  It drove me to hoard vehicles as non-decaying persistent storage, which just created new problems.  I honestly believe that the only viable solution is to make the servers robust enough to handle prolific player activity, in the form of long-term bases--even for people who prefer to only use a couple tents and a few barrels in the trees, scattered across different locations throughout their chosen server.  If they are to accommodate mods, then I would think they must leave ample headspace for additional elements to be added to the map.  This is why limiting persistence as a means to free up server resources seems like a half-measure.

In terms of loot economy concerns, I have none.  Suppose that a group of people manage to hoard-up a significant enough amount of loot to prevent it from spawning.  This would surely take up a lot of in-game hours, a noticeably large physical presence in the server, lots of ground covered, and frequent trips to certain areas for tents and barrels; this would create quite a presence, along with regular patterns of movement, that should be readily detectable by other players on the server.  The bases would not be untouchable, but would rather require a concerted effort to find a base--which I think is a good thing to provide complex and organic missions generated solely by the players.  If this were done on a low-population server, where no other players are around to detect the patterns of movement and track down the stockpiled goods, who cares?  There is absolutely nothing about public hive game mechanics that would prevent any player on any public server from being able to diligently hunt-down an über-hoarder's base.  Even if someone had managed to monopolize resources on a very popular server, all players would still be free to gear-up on other servers and hunt down the robber-barons of the popular server.  Naturally private servers will be privately administered as the owners see fit.

Tuning the game to make it consistently easy and predictable to find loot, by causing relatively rapid decay of active camps, is never going to be a feature I want to see in the vanilla game.  It negates all of the risk taken by exposing oneself in the process of collecting that gear, of being careful to never be followed back to base, if the server just cleans it up weekly.

I want to be able to run around a server finding completely empty military zones up and down the map, and from that experience of finding very little loot, know that there is a high-density pilfering opportunity hiding somewhere on that server.  Doesn't it seem more organic and immersive to walk onto a server with sparse resources, and be able to take that as a sign of the high intensity of looting activity on that server?  What if a clan wants to establish a seed repository, and does the work collecting all packets of seeds on an entire server, to ensure a monopoly on their chosen item of trade?  Should the game makers preclude them from that opportunity because other people need opportunity to find the seeds freely?

And yes, Luc, I know that last bit is pretty much laissez faire capitalism, but it's just a game.  : P

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 3

Bases should be protection against zeds and predator animals, more than players. And there should be some base-specific items that you couldnt buid without base, like meat drying or water reservoars. There should be chance that bear or wolf destroys your tent in middle of woods if he smells food inside. Base building on high pop public servers will be hard with all pvp hungry players. I think it will be better on private role playing servers with some rules. 

Anyway, it will be hard to balance it and to make it work and to get to majority of players to like it.

• Like 1

if safeboxes, gates and doors, locked cars will havea counter i'm ok with it. I hope they don't come out with unbreakable bases or that keys of the car feature.

everything will be hoarded even with the most honest admins around, barrels, tents, any vehicle in the map..just wait for the little bird to come and you'll see..

• Like 1

Bases are great timesinks, which DayZ sorely lacks at the moment. 

• Like 2

I don't get how base building could be included on Dayz, I mean, I love base building in dayz mod and also in arma 3 mods, but actually it does not make any sense to me.

Yeah of course is a cool feature to build your own base but, what is the point about building it?

I think that the neccesary features on dayz nowadays is to have more objectives, more dinamic events like helicrashes, more animals, more life on chernarus. Base building seems to me like a final feature to be added.

For me the base building that could be viable would be to add cargo to a cow for example, like shoppers in fallout 4. We need more things to do on the map, not a place to be hidden until you get bored of the game.

Nice discussion! ;)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EdStaffordZombie said:

I don't get how base building could be included on Dayz, I mean, I love base building in dayz mod and also in arma 3 mods, but actually it does not make any sense to me.

Yeah of course is a cool feature to build your own base but, what is the point about building it?

I think that the neccesary features on dayz nowadays is to have more objectives, more dinamic events like helicrashes, more animals, more life on chernarus. Base building seems to me like a final feature to be added.

For me the base building that could be viable would be to add cargo to a cow for example, like shoppers in fallout 4. We need more things to do on the map, not a place to be hidden until you get bored of the game.

Nice discussion! ;)

There are more important features than base building that need to be cemented in game first anyways.

"Dynamic" remember that the next time you want to spell it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Judged_Guitly said:

The bigger your base is, the easier it will be to find. I'll stick with barrels.

73famo.png

My Clan hasnt used tents for a long, long time. We did find a few locations that were reasonable hiding spots for them, but we never trusted them enough to really use them as our primary storage. We kept a few in well hidden location along the coast, something to help us as bambies when we first spawn in, and in a few other spots way up North, but not in the forest or by debug like everyone likes to hide them up there. For a well maintained base, Barrels are a must. They can be hidden so many ways that I could see my clan using them the same way we do now in key locations throughout the map. 

I spoke earlier about the door Cache in the pictures, and how Hicks spoke to it as underground access to hide items. I think this type of base will blow the doors off of everything we've been doing hiding barrels among the rocks, trees, and bushes. In fact, With difficult to breach bunker doors (as shown in the Base building video and pics) I would guess you could not only place items underground inside those big strong doors, but you could also camo the doors up under netting, bushes, or other difficult to see areas (rock formations, etc). 

16gy3xg.png

Going back to your original thoughts though about just sticking with barrels, I think most solo players or small groups will go that way with it. For medium to large Clans, Bases will happed. For example, on our DayZ FactionZ server, we have a Multi Clan focus. It's anything and everything about playing as a Clan. It's my guess that all or most of the Clans will have some sort of a base that they will use for defense and storage. I think it will add alot to the game, especially the PVP that will follow.

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1