SMoss

Exp Update: 0.60.+++

It looks like the wellness indicators have been re-sized to not interfere with your character so much.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kohlbar said:

I was playing with a dude the other night that I met in VMC, and while we were playing he said that one of his biggest complaints about the new patch is that his gamma/brightness settings didn't work and the night time was so dark it made the game "literally unplayable" This seemed to be the case because he didn't notice a zombie until he was 5 feet away from it. But for me, one of the biggest improvements I've noticed has been night time visibility. The colors seem very distinguishable, if anything I would say it's *too* visible at night now. I'm on default settings. Anybody else having this issue? I'm wondering if the guy just spoiled himself with adjusted gamma whenever he played at night, or if the gamma is an actual issue for people.

I would say there are different stages of night. When the moon is up and its lit it is pretty, but there are times where I do struggle to see anything. But luckily that's only 10-20 minutes total and I still get along. I think the idea is to use this darkest hour to just hang out at a place, until it brightens up again; or to force us to use a torch, if we want to see.

We don't have to take day/nightcycles into accout for anything, usually. But sometimes I find the screen hard to see at night, too. When I don't darken my room, or my screen is dirty; okay the latter not so much. You might simply have a bad screen though. But night can get pretty dark - as it should. I just lament that we can still adapt Gamma. He couldn't do it because he set it to high before and didn't reset again. As long as there is the option to crank gamma, everybody does it ingame and so do I (most of the times). I think changes to Gamma have to be limited a lot more. I heard Arma has a decent system for that, and I'm sure they can look at that. Perhaps Bohemia will have a few more resources working on Dayz now, too. With their expansion for Arma out. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

i think the moon has an effect on the illumination, when its super dark see if the moon is out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wasnu said:

is it bugusing when you go to debug island by car ?

should be faster than swimming, i think

Hasn't been possible for quite some time, at least since 0.58. I'd be taking the express train out more frequently if I could :)

17 hours ago, barnabus said:

When did this become a thing?  Yeah, a longhorn with a holosight.  Now I don't really have an issue with it, a holosight is a holosight after all.  First time I've seen this, it was in a Deer Blind

16 hours ago, odin_lowe said:

We can swap the crossbow holosight with the longhorn scope, and vice-versa, since 8 or 9 months ago. It's been a while alright. I think it was in 0.57 if I'm not mistaken.

Spot on, Odin. It was 0.57.

14 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

Useless post.  Just wanted to make it onto page 100!  Cant believe i have read every single one of these! So worth it!

We're just about to pass up 0.59 for discussion (102 pages), but we're nowhere near 0.58 (218 pages!).

• Like 3

nice little update - they fixed the sneak breath bug, well done! ))

And it`s easier to see and adjust range on your scope at least on the CR weapon.

Edited by ori42
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Tatanko said:

Hasn't been possible for quite some time, at least since 0.58. I'd be taking the express train out more frequently if I could :)

Spot on, Odin. It was 0.57.

We're just about to pass up 0.59 for discussion (102 pages), but we're nowhere near 0.58 (218 pages!).

Going on post count and time this one is exceeding both, remember .59 (2500 posts) was two and a half months and .58 (5400 posts) and the hotfix took four months. 2500 posts in one month is about double the interest those two had at this point. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

I was playing with a dude the other night that I met in VMC, and while we were playing he said that one of his biggest complaints about the new patch is that his gamma/brightness settings didn't work and the night time was so dark it made the game "literally unplayable" This seemed to be the case because he didn't notice a zombie until he was 5 feet away from it. But for me, one of the biggest improvements I've noticed has been night time visibility. The colors seem very distinguishable, if anything I would say it's *too* visible at night now. I'm on default settings. Anybody else having this issue? I'm wondering if the guy just spoiled himself with adjusted gamma whenever he played at night, or if the gamma is an actual issue for people.

Yeah, he was spoiled.  I like the gamma/brightness fix, makes night more of a challenge and a whole safer to move around in IF you are careful.  I kinda hate running around in broad daylight now.  On a side note, if I get afternoon glare on my screen during a night iteration I am pretty much screwed.  I can live with that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, barnabus said:

Yeah, he was spoiled.  I like the gamma/brightness fix, makes night more of a challenge and a whole safer to move around in IF you are careful.  I kinda hate running around in broad daylight now.  On a side note, if I get afternoon glare on my screen during a night iteration I am pretty much screwed.  I can live with that. 

I don't like messing with my gamma when I play; it takes out all the immersion. When Its night I close the blinds and turn off the lights.

• Like 4

Photographic evidence or it did not happen! ;-) (I'm at work so I follow this forum to get my dayz fix)

2 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

I'm seeing zombies on top of barracks in Zelenogorsk.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Soupy98 said:

Sorry, but the coast dwelling fresh spawn killers need to be stopped, this is a survival game not COD bud. 

While I certainly not approve this playstyle 100 %, it is and will be a playstyle and they are free to play the game however they want.

17 hours ago, emuthreat said:

*snip*

That is what you get if you shoot on sight at a group of 3 players. He was lucky that he ran into us because other people would have killed him. To be honest, I wanted to double tap as well but then I decided it would be a good idea to tie him up. So McLuvin (if you can read this), next time talk, don't shoot. Or keep away from people at all. It will save your ass because you went from fully kitted with a M4 to no bullets at all.

And the other guy, what was he thinking? Shooting a Winchester at three people. He was lucky that he ran to the road and not through the treeline because that would've cost him his life.

By the way, gunshots are definitely bugged. Emuthreat got shot at and he only could hear the whizz and Luc and me didn't hear anything either until the second or third shot.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, barnabus said:

Yeah, he was spoiled.  On a side note, if I get afternoon glare on my screen during a night iteration I am pretty much screwed.  I can live with that. 

These two things seem contradictory.  Every day when I first play, and there is still quite a lot of ambient light in my house, I have to adjust the brightness up, but not the gamma.  (PC in a room opposite of a west-facing window)  When it gets dark, I tune it down a bit if I leave a light on, and a lot if I turn the light off as well.

I don't consider any of these things spoiling myself or abusing the settings, but rather adjusting the screen for best comfort relative to the ambient light.  I'm not quite sure that it should be a badge of honor to wear by refusing to adjust your monitor at all.  

Everybody can see where that OH SHIT point on the gamma slider is for themselves.  It's up to the individual to stop short of 'cheating' by going past that point.  Only if BE required the use of a monitor equipped with ambient light sensor, could it be possible to prevent people from over-adjusting their display for an advantage.

it should render technically be possible in the night to render a reduced colors and in addition to making a certain distance from simply "black dense fog" .So would regulate the gamme only but the fog appear brighter still leave as considerate blocker. in the engine this would be a ring of mist around the player. whether it is feasible remains another question.

On 6/8/2016 at 9:48 AM, wasnu said:

is it bugusing when you go to debug island by car ?

should be faster than swimming, i think

No longer possible, but I tried this a couple times. Here's what I found:

-can't see compass in truck
-can't see underwater
-hills and valleys underwater send you off course
-truck falls off map before long

• Like 1

I am aware of the persistence wipe on the patch from June 7th, but was there a persistence wipe on exp with the patch from ~12 hours ago?

I usually try to keep at least one barrel with some random worthless stuff in it, hidden in areas with the lowest traffic, to keep an eye on any persistence/inventory/placement/collision issues I find on exp.

Today it seems to be missing, and while that's no big deal (and the contents were expected to be lost anyway), it would be good to know if there was a wipe. If it was found I'd be surprised, as it seems a fool's errand for someone to start searching for camps on the exp branch so soon after an announced wipe. It's possible, of course, but just seems less likely than usual.

Hello fellow survivors.

Just a quick question: Is there a reason why Hicks said in the September 23rd 2015 Status Report that "NATO military gear will be moving out of the Quonset Hut Barracks and back to their proper NATO chopper crash spawns." but now anything from the NATO (UH-1Y Venom "smoking" crash site) or Mi-8 crash sites can be found at military locations, either barracks, quonset huts or tents.

Will it ever be back to normal for the exclusive crash site gear to return to their spawns? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

I'm seeing zombies on top of barracks in Zelenogorsk.....

They probably ran in behind a player and he ran out and closed the door again (or his buddy did). I've noticed this in Cherno when my buddy was running from an infected and I closed the door. Suddenly the zembi went up to the roof and stood there looking like a big oaf. I also have screenshots from where the same thing must have happened. They look a little lost up there ^^

Spoiler

20160518200200_1_zpsb8trdmm0.jpg

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 5

A new life and I was hot no doubts - in Cherno. :)

34eb2mx.jpg

• Like 4

I really get KoS'd alot in recent time. In non-military areas, too.

Kinda ruins the fun of exp currently when everybody is just hunting.

5 hours ago, pcs305 said:

Photographic evidence or it did not happen! ;-) (I'm at work so I follow this forum to get my dayz fix)

00gmlRx.jpg

• Like 8

Had a good time tonight and then played some DayZ too. I had to change servers because I couldn't get on the last one I played. On this server my barrels were gone with all my farming stuff as well as my stash of sliced pumpkin. Oh well, easy come, easy go. I set about rebuilding my 'nest' and in the process stalked a couple of guys who were determined to kill a chicken with a shotgun. The blast sound was really loud and I felt for the chicken. I hope there was enough left for them to harvest. I didn't have the firepower to defend myself if I announced my presence so I decided to just follow them for a bit. That was interesting because I was carrying a jerry can of water. (I am a determined farmer). Eventually they lost me or I lost them. Later I stalked another player, this one from well off but he was on one of my runs. So, my habitat is now overrun with tourists. Maybe time to move shop.

I had an interesting run earlier today with Luc and IMT.  Luc and I were going into Pogorevka when I saw a player crossing from the church to the well.  At the same time the player's friend by the church opened fire on Luc with an AKS74u, breaking his legs.  Luc returned fire, and put down the aggressor while I ran around the street looking for the other guy. While Luc  was checking the damage and crawling to cover, I ran around the town looking for the missing player.  After finding the first one dead, I moved on past the backyard of the green two-story and spotted the hiding player in a shed.  He started firing on me as I turned and raised my AK101.  I returned fire to the shed with broken legs, but was eventually killed.  I got a Balota spawn and began running back towards Pogo, but Luc took a bad shot and alerted the survivor to his location, and was eventually dispatched, but not until the enemy wasted plenty of bullets.  I got back to the battleground after checking a nearby empty helicrash, to find my axe and clothing left in a pile where I had died.  I was soon confronted by the same two players, who seemed to remember me from earlier.  I made a hail-mary attempt at cutting them up a bit with a stone knife, but was again sent back to the coast.  

After spawning in Kamy and chasing Luc's trail of bodys back to Elektro and cutting north towards Mog,  we met up again and went to meet IMT, who had logged on and started running down to Pogo to spot the camping assassins.  IMT heard multiple shots as we approached the town, ans spotted one player running around with a winchester likely looted from Luc's body.  As Luc and I approached with handguns, IMT reported hearing a grenade near the church.  We made our way into the town and found them camping in the green two-story where the one who first killed me was hiding in the shed.  I crept up on them from the west, while Luc took a few pot-shots at them through windows.  Once I had made it to the shed and gathered my courage, I ran around and opened the door.  I started doing laps with a magnum, to see if anyone was tucked into the corners, and once I learned that the bottom floor cover was up the stairs, I reversed direction, and fired on him with my magnum.  I did this lap a couple times before I saw a grenade explode halfway up the stairs through the outside wall.

I must have been running around the house much more fiercely than I had thought, for the besieged players decided to take the cowards way out.  Either that, or they forgot the first rule of hand grenades: NEVER PULL THE PIN WHILE INSIDE A STRUCTURE.  Or just never pull the pin....  LOL LOL LOL ROFFLCOPTER, ETC.

We triumphantly started looting the house, I was so focused on taking back my 101, FNX, and Longhorn, and gleefully cheering that of all the piles of loot that they had gathered, my improvised backpack was virtually untouched on the back of one of the bodies.  As Luc was impatiently asking if we had finished looting, so he could be relieved from watching the door with a pistol, IMT made the discovery that one of the players was still alive from the grenade.  We tied him up and let Luc have the run of the top floor, while IMT and I fumbled about seeing who was responsible for the door and who was to watch the prisoner.  When he woke up, the prisoner pretended not to be aware, and never really cooperated, so we sent him to be with his friends, and made off with the loot.  We got an extra M4 out of the deal, and a bunch of 5.56 to carry us through the next day's run.

I've never been killed twice in a row by the same people and then came back and killed them all and recovered my gear before today.  It was quite the fun experience.

I can't wait until gunshots are being consistently heard by all players, but I guess some courage is founds in this buggy ignorance of the nearby dangers.

• Like 4

It took 45 minutes to get from hyperthermic to overheating, and I was sitting in a steam.  I wasn't taking any chances.. Still in overheating state, it's crazy.   While I was at Miskino tents I found that AK 101.  I had my trusty Winchester in hand so this was on my back.  Once I was done I hit the woodline and tried to switch the 101 with the Winchester.  For some reason I guess I fumble finger fucked it because the Winchester went on the ground someplace and did NOT replace the 101 on my back.   I have no clue where the Winchester ended up.  I am sad.  I had 42 rounds for the Winny and a hunting scope on it that liked to use in lieu of binoculars.  I have a total of 35 5.56 in two mags for the AK, not my best day.C40A8D2F498D9A6ED5F162FF26B41F997BFB3103

Edited by barnabus
  • Like 3

Take your pants off.  Take it all off.  Roll around on the bottom of the stream bed naked to accelerate the cooling.
 You might even want to lay down your rifle if it has a whole lot of attachments.  I have a suspicion that heavily accessorized guns add more to the generation of heat for the player, after running around with my pants and shirt mostly in my backpack for a few days, and progressively putting more and more crap on my AK.

It's a thing now.  We had a PVP run-in with a couple of pantless guys earlier.  It does seem to help a whole lot if you can manage to keep enough free space to carry your wearables inside your backpack and vest while traveling long distances.  I try to only wear my pants and jacket for the extra slots and the camouflage when I get to points of interest.

• Like 2

Yeah, but with my luck that'll be the exact moment when the server resets and my gear goes into gear pergatory.  The AK has no attachments either other than a Kashtan scope.

• Like 1