SMoss

Exp Update: 0.60.+++

CLE is good, but for me (love the coast, the fog and my fishtraps) i don´t want to be "pushed" to went inland.

its an sandbox," your life your journey", i dont want getting pushed to move inland. 

If and when i want to walk up north/west, it should be my choice, not be forced due CLE

Its an wrong way for me to punish the pewpew kids away from the coast.

only my opinion, but this was the "master plan" behind dayz, your life your choice

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mammut (DayZ) said:
43 minutes ago, barnabus said:

Yes they are all spawning.  It's just that the coastal areas are picked clean pretty quick.

One lonesome water bottle was all i've encountered in days. Find a server with the "Revenge of Eugen" approach..... "growing in the rain ... lalala" 

I'm a ways inland but avoiding the bigger cities and still not finding containers of any sort. No big deal...there's chickens and fish. I guess if there's been a wipe then my barrels and farming gear are gone, axe too. Would be interesting if the rain automatically watered crops?

yep, if it is raining, you don´t need to water the plants.

workes fine and the best is, you can fill your bottles with rainwater without the risk using pumps

• Like 2

4 hours ago, r3k0 said:

Making a base in EXP ?? definition of "waste of time"? :D Now go wipe your a$$ :D

Somebody's gotta test persistence related issues.  And I'm guessin' that it ain't you. It's ok, I don't mind dropping my helicopter loot inside tents instead of on the ground.

• Like 5

Pro tip, don't try to engage targets out past 75-100 meters with an SMG, especially an MP5 with a silencer and NO BUTTSTOCK.  You'll just use up all your ammo and not hit a damn thing.  It does sound pretty intense though to have all those angry bees flying past your head.  Some one just tried this on me in Sevrograd.  All they did was attract zeds to their hidey hole making it easier to spot them.  I threw back 5 rounds of suppressive fire with my AK74, just 5, I still have 24 rounds left in my magazine, 1 in the chamber and no prospect of finding anymore 5.45mm anytime soon.  I also have a Glock with two full mags and 20 loose 9mm.   I didn't bother trying to hunt the guy down since it could have been a trap and I am an ammo whore.   I love this ammo shortage.  I mean it I do, I really do.

About persistence on Experimental.  Yes, I stash stuff, BUT if the there is an update then I know that 9 times out of 10 a persistence wipe was part of it.  Meh, it's ok, I only keep the shit I really need on me anyway.  The ones I like best are the Character wipes too.  This way we are all on an even playing field to start with. 

As for moving inland, or living off the land or gardening your way to success or eating canned food, hey, whatever, it's YOUR game, YOU purchased it, play it how you want, I could care less, honestly.  You can combat log all you want, I don't CARE how you play your game.  If you somehow think your play style is superior to mine or you hold me in contempt for playing MY game because I eat canned food and think that finding a can opener should be an introductory quest when the game is finished, then that's your problem not mine.  I am not going to be trolled or cajoled into arguing about it and this isn't meant to troll or cajole anyone else into arguing about it either.  DayZ is a sandbox where we can do whatever we pretty much want.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, cage53 said:

Anyone know if containers are spawning? I haven't seen a canteen, plastic water bottle or cooking pot in hours. Can't water my pumpkins. I keep eyeing the galvanized pails in the wooden sheds. I hear there is a way to craft a leather water bag but all I see so far for wildlife is chickens.

I have been growing pumpkins like crazy using the rain soaked ground. I'm stuffed..and about to throw up pumpkin pie filling. :-)  I did see a pot, but I was in a very bad situation when I ran through that house LOL and I couldn't stop for soup. Nope, haven't seen bottle, canteen in awhile.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, r3k0 said:

Making a base in EXP ?? definition of "waste of time"? :D Now go wipe your a$$ :D

You obviously weren't here when persistence came back, they only went about three days between wipes on exp. and a bunch of problems showed up on stable that we couldn't find and not for a lack of trying on some of "our' parts. 

6 hours ago, wasnu said:

CLE is good, but for me (love the coast, the fog and my fishtraps) i don´t want to be "pushed" to went inland.

its an sandbox," your life your journey", i dont want getting pushed to move inland. 

If and when i want to walk up north/west, it should be my choice, not be forced due CLE

only my opinion, but this was the "master plan" behind dayz, your life your choice

Been on the coast %98 of .60 with only two deaths that weren't terrain glitches, those two had nothing to do with self sufficiency either.

I do totally agree with you but what I've seen if they fix the multiple of the same item in the same building thing it will push you to work a bigger territory than is possible now just to subside.

If you want leet pew-pew gear or Gorka clothes to lower your profile while passively "keepin' on keepin' on" you will still have to take a trip though. 

• Like 2

So, I had the most "chill" time in DayZ in a LONG time. I was at the very edge of the map past Sinistok; when I met a group of people all sitting down inside a house reading books. I liked the experience...only problem is I wish they read Frankenstein or Dracula. :/

• Like 3

Speaking of pew pew... 

THE STANDOFF :

MCYizYR.jpg

We had one sporter bullet between the three of us, but over 8800 Ounces of manliness; The door opened and it was a woman! She slayed my cousins in an insane display of manliness... I somehow rushed through her and managed to hit her friend once with an axe but it didnt seem to hurt him as he bolted outside to turn and shoot.. I bounced back upstairs all desyncy like and saw my second cuz with a sledge laying in the doorway, this was my only chance to escape the psycho as i couldnt jump over the body or crawl though it , but neither could she.. So as she slaughtered my second cousin as he fearfully cradled himself in fetal position tucked into the corner of the room, I valiantly closed the door and ran for safety (lol) ... Soooo many people out for blood ! Im surviving pretty well so far, many engagements i manage to attack and still escape, 3/4 times killing an enemy at least ! I cant wait for more challenge thats for sure, i feel people are getting bored and complacent again =(! Bring on .60 stable and .61 exp please ;) !

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Excanto said:

I have been growing pumpkins like crazy using the rain soaked ground. I'm stuffed..and about to throw up pumpkin pie filling. :-)  I did see a pot, but I was in a very bad situation when I ran through that house LOL and I couldn't stop for soup. Nope, haven't seen bottle, canteen in awhile.

I found a canteen after several days. Damaged, too. It didn't spawn anywhere special. This canteen and the water bottle I found are the only bottles I've seen at all. However, since you can drink from cooking pots and there is soda lying around in pants a lot, there are a lot of alternatives. It just seems weird such an everyday item is so rare.

----

Yeah, making camps is useless on experimental; old news. I had better gear at my camp than on me when the wipe came. But while it was there (4 days), my friends were more active, because they know I could help equip them or get them a ride. It was like a shop and I'm shopkeeper. If I hadn't made that camp, I probably wouldn't have found out about the barrel glitches. And it was still a way up north and a good deal of surviving, until you got there. A camp is much like the peak of a mountain, in that it feels like a goal. It's the closest place to call home. 

Also, I keep forgetting to test if we can carry military tents in our hands. Is that an option, or do they still only go on the back? One of the problems I've noticed with military tents other people build, is that I cannot pack them. I wonder why that is. Has anyone been able to pack the military tent? I remember a bug where it simply wouldn't give the option. Sometimes after punching the tent its "pack" option would show up, though. Maybe I just have to remember to punch that tent next time. Still, this is one of these small and annoying fairly old bugs. Bugs should be a thing for Beta, but this "refresh-state" error applies to a couple of things ingame, and I'd be happy to play without punching walls and tents. The state of buildings however (doors) seems much better to me. I haven't had any problems opening doors or seeing players walk through closed ones. So lets hope it gets fixed for tents and later bases, too. Don't want to punch my base, just to check if the gates are closed ^^

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

I've stolen a few military tents this week, and they all had to go on my back, while my backpack was carried in hands.  To pack the tent, empty it out, make sure your backpack slot is free, and look at the post in the middle; you should get a UI prompt on your scroll wheel options to pack the tent.
Make sure it is empty by logging and re-examining the tent for bugged cells, if it won't pack up.  I've never had a problem, aside from the fumbling around looking for the prompt while carrying a backpack in my hands at a strangers camp, jitters.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, wasnu said:

I feel like I'm on the move more than ever before. I don't know if I was just lucky, or if there was a patch where the vehicles mostly spawned in the north. Because every hour or so I came across another vehicle and most of them needed 1 or 2 parts to drive. That made it easy even to fix a V3S. And they are fun now! So I found myself going to the coast for netting, feeling a bit safer to go into Cherno, because of silenced weapons and decent gear. It was different running through Cherno like that. I wasn't looking for a fight or survival, just for netting. Unfortunately, the coast isn't all that great for driving, so my excursions all stayed pretty punctual and didn't cover a great area. But I was down there and ready to defend myself or shoot someone hunting bambis. Soon we'll have bikes, so the choice to come back to the coast will even be more voluntarily. You don't have to stick to an area or be prepared for hours of walking to get there. In the end, more movement means more interaction, so I think this is working well. I'd even like more exclusive areas to encourage travel. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion - 1020 replies/62689 views

Exp Update: 0.60.132867 Discussion - 2462 replies/89311 views

... seems to be experimental is the new stable :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imunone said:

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion - 1020 replies/62689 views

Exp Update: 0.60.132867 Discussion - 2462 replies/89311 views

... seems to be experimental is the new stable :D

There has always been a huge amount of discussion revolving around Experimental, nothing new there ;)

Lots to talk about including our experiences with new places/content, bugs that need reporting, etc.

• Like 6

Only true sandbox out there right now is Arma3. You load up that game with no mods no nothing and all you have is a map. Thats it. Dayz is sandboxy-ish, but it's still a game where the devs will steer it where they see fit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, S3V3N said:

Also, I keep forgetting to test if we can carry military tents in our hands. Is that an option, or do they still only go on the back? One of the problems I've noticed with military tents other people build, is that I cannot pack them. I wonder why that is. Has anyone been able to pack the military tent?

Found pitched military tent at nwaf a couple nights ago.  Packed it no problem but was unable to take it as it still cannot be carried in hand

• Like 2

Made the swim to Debug Island last night with Gary, and Dudester was close behind when I had to call it a night. Overall, the the trip was remarkably uneventful and, dare I say, easier than previous successful trips.

We both arrived bright green energized, neutral hydration (no indicator), and yellow "cold." We could have recovered from the wet and cold quite easily just by making a few laps of the island, no fire needed. Between the two of us, we brought along enough to start a garden and make a campfire to make the place a little more comfortable. Successfully harvested some vegetables, mostly pumpkins.

I will say that it was more difficult to spot the island on approach, and it's seemingly due to differences with the new renderer. Before, you could tell you were approaching the island by looking underwater and seeing a gradual rise in the terrain, but that isn't possible anymore. You also don't see it until you're almost there, whereas previously it could be seen for 15 to 20 minutes before arrival. The journey still took ~1 hour, 45 minutes.

Pictures below... 

Spoiler

kWax2ech.jpg
k052tx3h.jpg
Fi2T3Ioh.jpg
y4zuabNh.jpg
VtZ4vczh.jpg
a6xpaKhh.jpg
y7Ya0Srh.jpg
RsOQhH2h.jpg
T6YdSBLh.jpg
Tgk23FIh.jpg

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

I'll add a few from the trip too

G5tlUz9.jpg

Below, vomiting while treading water sets off a plume of white that falls quickly to the sea floor, an unintended but funny animation. I wasn't quick enough to get the screenshot.

rbi4SL3.jpg

And a rare pic of Tatanko in the wild without his customary baseball cap.  Proof that he doesn't wear it to cover a receding hairline.

io92wQQ.jpg

And finally, I'm sad to announce that Dudester was lost at sea.  He couldn't have been 10 minutes from the island as his heading was correct and about 1.5 hours had passed...  

PS Tatanko, I'm still carrying that landmine if you want to take the express train back to the mainland!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

Only true sandbox out there right now is Arma3. You load up that game with no mods no nothing and all you have is a map. Thats it. Dayz is sandboxy-ish, but it's still a game where the devs will steer it where they see fit.

I'd like to think the devs are trying to coax the sheep gently to use the rest of the damn map rather than steering. 

This isn't one of those games that looks like a big city but actually is just a maze with hollow pockets they steer you around.

Just like ArmA  when modding comes we'll be able to take all the toys out of the sandbox and put some, all, more toys back in to arrange our play area the way we see fit.

• Like 4

I like the new scarcity of ammo!

my cristall ball says, when .60 hits stable the pewpew kids will cry rivers. "Yeahhh, PvP with 100 FPS in cherno is soo great"...SORRY guys, deathmatching with only 5 Bullets in your shiny M4A1 will not be funny.

Hahaha, this will be great times in the forums. Hope the devs will survive this shitstorm :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wasnu said:

I like the new scarcity of ammo!

my cristall ball says, when .60 hits stable the pewpew kids will cry rivers. "Yeahhh, PvP with 100 FPS in cherno is soo great"...SORRY guys, deathmatching with only 5 Bullets in your shiny M4A1 will not be funny.

Hahaha, this will be great times in the forums. Hope the devs will survive this shitstorm :)

Civilian ammo seems pretty plentiful. 

• Like 1

Really hoping they keep pushing player count higher. I'm loving the fact I'm seeing people everywhere.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

And finally, I'm sad to announce that Dudester was lost at sea.  He couldn't have been 10 minutes from the island as his heading was correct and about 1.5 hours had passed...  

PS Tatanko, I'm still carrying that landmine if you want to take the express train back to the mainland!

What happened to Dudester that he didn't make it?!

I'll definitely take that land mine when I'm back on this evening after work. I have a desire to do some more testing, but I didn't make the journey properly equipped to do all of it, so I may just have to make another swim out this week with more supplies. Now that we know how "easy" (careless) it is to make it to the island currently, I think I can take more risks with clothing for additional cargo capacity.

• Like 1