SMoss

Exp Update: 0.60.+++

3 minutes ago, pcs305 said:

I was on my way to Msta as a fresh spawn, when I was apprehended by two squeakers. They started talking, or more like taunting then proceeded to punch me out. Thank's too super short attention spans they lost interest and when I came too they were gone. I did get this pic of them.

udQ7uAh.jpg

Lucky they didn't shoot your eye out!

• Like 6

The 1pp servers seem to be rubber banding me severly bad , as soon as I connect it's noticeable ... And sometimes it just kicks me back to the main menu with no reason :( ... 

• Like 2

Scarcity and bullet conditions are having a marked impact on how and when players choose to shoot.

Keeping high end rifles stocked with enough bullets to play Rambo seems to be more difficult than ever.

Having 200 rounds to thoughtlessly throw down range doesn't seem to be as much of a thing anymore.

Larger groups can survive and sustain long enough to kit out to full military gear, while more solo players seem to be packing civilian gear and weapons, either due to shorter life span, or by playing it safe outside military locations.

While we had little trouble stocking up on food initially, that too petered off a bit and we focused a little on hunting some chickens and deer to supplement what we found.

I had stashed pumpkin seeds in our very first camp but unfortunately that was wiped with the last update.

Our original semi-hidden camp was compromised, so we planted a few barrels and tents in choice places around the map.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so fucking psyched for .61 already!

Release the hounds (and the infected)!!!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Scarcity and bullet conditions are having a marked impact on how and when players choose to shoot.

I'm noticing this as well. It's pretty easy to come by a handful of rounds for just about any gun, but that's it: just a few. Chances are those rounds aren't pristine either. I carried around a naked Mosin last night with ~15 rounds and it felt like that actually meant something for the first time in a long time -- like I wasn't the small dog in the fight for being so meagerly equipped. Quite the opposite, I felt empowered by that Mosin; that the only thing limiting me was my ability to aim down the iron sights. Man that felt good.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

I'm noticing this as well. It's pretty easy to come by a handful of rounds for just about any gun, but that's it: just a few. -snip-

Indeed, I made a point to become comfortable with the RAK and Skorpion mainly for this reason.

.380 is usually 2nd most common to .22, so after quite a few days/hours and only a few infected to kill I do have 2 full mags and 3 full stacks at the ready but that took quite a bit of effort to amass. The Sporter (and Trumpet) seems to need some attention to zeroing etc before they can be used to their potential. The Sporter will become a much more viable weapon with the 30 round mags once it's fine tuned. I could have probably 500 rounds of .22 by now, all pristine, but only the Amphibia seems worth carrying really.

And now that they dialed down the size in inventory the SMG's make a more viable sidearm (as long as you remember to never swap it to your back with your long arm).

For my FAL, all of the bullets I've had were gifted to me except for maybe 2 I found in a snap loader in a deer stand.

I currently have just a full mag for the FAL after paying a few rounds forward to emu for his longhorn, and I would have had even more if Brooks had not been KoS'd before we could meet up.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 4

I just came back from a morning run with Weyland Yutani at the Tisy base to check out the new building. Any ideas on what the purpose of the building was/is?

2dh5jkk.jpg

I really like the shooting range.

2j5co7k.jpg

The Tisy base was very quite. For being on a full server, and staying there for about 40 minutes, everything went well. I didn't really loot the base, even though the doors were closed and no one had been there for a while, since it was my purpose this morning.

Even though I enjoy 0.60 a lot, I can't wait for 0.61 with the wolves, dirt bike and the rest of the animals to come back. (Boars, pigs, goats, sheep, foxes and rabbits. Haven't seen any of those in all the different 0.60 patches. Only saw deer, cows, chicken and roosters.

9hmdxv.jpg

Sorry for not putting spoilers, but the new forum features are pretty weird and hard to get along. It's either all spoiler without any visible text, or no spoiler. 

Edited by odin_lowe
  • Like 8

It's 1000 and I've already used up all my "likes" for the day, damn is it nice how this patch brought real life back into the game not the COD like bacteria festering in .59.

I didn't see a soul in the 6 or so hours I played last night but I had a few shadows and graphic glitches double my heart rate, like has been mentioned you really don't know what encountering another player means again. In .59 You knew they already have a backpack, food, guns, bullets, and no reason to interact in any way other then left clicking at you.

Good stuff BI, I reluctantly admit that this is all starting to be worth the sometimes painful waiting.  

• Like 8

Had a lot of fun over the weekend and also played some DayZ. I killed a chicken and 'crafted' a bone fishhook and finally was able to fish, very peaceful even while expecting the 'you are dead' screen. Eventually i caught a carp and retreated into the forest where I nervously built a fire to cook my catch. I found that the campfires burn out very quickly, hardly giving me enough enough time to cook, in fact I had to build three separate fires to cook my chicken breast and my fillet. I guess you have to have an ample supply of logs in the vicinity to keep things going?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

I just came back from a morning run with Weyland Yutani at the Tisy base to check out the new building. Any ideas on what the purpose of the building was/is?

2dh5jkk.jpg

I

Well it looks to me like Tisy Base is also a testing area for some type of rocket/s.  This may be part of the facility that is off base used for prepping fuels or other materials to be used over on the testing stands.  Obviously the building isn't quite ready for prime time yet.  Back when the patch came out with the changes making NEAF more civilian the civilian barracks in the woods near there were a lot like this.  You could walk through the walls just like you can here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Indeed, I made a point to become comfortable with the RAK and Skorpion mainly for this reason.

.380 is usually 2nd most common to .22, so after quite a few days/hours and only a few infected to kill I do have 2 full mags and 3 full stacks at the ready but that took quite a bit of effort to amass. The Sporter (and Trumpet) seems to need some attention to zeroing etc before they can be used to their potential. The Sporter will become a much more viable weapon with the 30 round mags once it's fine tuned. I could have probably 500 rounds of .22 by now, all pristine, but only the Amphibia seems worth carrying really.

And now that they dialed down the size in inventory the SMG's make a more viable sidearm (as long as you remember to never swap it to your back with your long arm).

For my FAL, all of the bullets I've had were gifted to me except for maybe 2 I found in a snap loader in a deer stand.

I currently have just a full mag for the FAL after paying a few rounds forward to emu for his longhorn, and I would have had even more if Brooks had not been KoS'd before we could meet up.

I have an FN/FAL with an empty mag on a 3pp server, while on 1PP I was running with a Winchester that I managed to rustle up 40 round for.  Doesn't do me much good.  I have been coming across quite a bit of 7.62x39 in hunting stands and feeding stations.  Not the piles as before and 5.45 is pretty damn rare atm (found one box at an Mi8 wreck).  This makes running into someone with an AK74 not nearly as dangerous as before.  And if the dude or dudette adds one of those crappy ass folding stocks and/or silencers on a 74 they may as well be an Imperial Stormtrooper for the good that'll do because that's about how accurate thier fire will be.  It may look "cool" but pretty much renders the weapon as useless as tits on a boar hog.  Shoots, maybe even worse than the Sporter. 

Incidentally, every time I come across a rifle in a deer stand or any where else for that matter (except high traffic military/police areas where that'll be the moment I meet a squeaker) I'll pick it up and use the empty command, just in case it has bullets.  Usually they don't but you never know.  Times like these, improvise, adapt, overcome and remain fluid because flexible is too rigid. 

Edited by barnabus
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, cage53 said:

Had a lot of fun over the weekend and also played some DayZ. I killed a chicken and 'crafted' a bone fishhook and finally was able to fish, very peaceful even while expecting the 'you are dead' screen. Eventually i caught a carp and retreated into the forest where I nervously built a fire to cook my catch. I found that the campfires burn out very quickly, hardly giving me enough enough time to cook, in fact I had to build three separate fires to cook my chicken breast and my fillet. I guess you have to have an ample supply of logs in the vicinity to keep things going?

Use a cooking pot in a household fireplace.  If you chop down three bushes, the sticks will burn long enough to cook one pot of food, and one more item on a stick.  Hope this helps.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, cage53 said:

I guess you have to have an ample supply of logs in the vicinity to keep things going?

I do wish logs burnt a little longer. It's perfectly reasonable to expect a bundle of sticks to burn for five minutes or less, but a pile of 5 big logs should go ~30 minutes or more I would think (versus like half that in-game currently from my experience).

Chances are you are nearby to available trees and bushes when you're using a fire anyway, but if you plan on staying put for a while it can get exhausting trying to keep the fire fed.

• Like 3

and it feels wrong...it feels to short to calm down...let the fire burn 1 hour without refueling with logs

sitting in an rainy night at your camp...thunderstorms at the horizon... wolfs or bears near... an campfire and boiled food..some guitar sounds..yeah, that would be great

• Like 2

@odin_lowe that new building could be some sort of radar building. Someone posted comparisment with real life building. It's missing radar antennas on roof. There is blog from someone who was in actual base.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wasnu said:

and it feels wrong...it feels to short to calm down...let the fire burn 1 hour without refueling with logs

sitting in an rainy night at your camp...thunderstorms at the horizon... wolfs or bears near... an campfire and boiled food..some guitar sounds..yeah, that would be great

then a 4 man team stumbles on your camp and kos's you.

• Like 1

thats part of the game, i can deal with it, hope you to.

the fire could be seen up to 130 meters, in the right places no one will find you.

i met only "teams" near military bases, and of course, thats not an good place to have bbq und guitar sounds ;)

16 minutes ago, wasnu said:

thats part of the game, i can deal with it, hope you to.

the fire could be seen up to 130 meters, in the right places no one will find you.

i met only "teams" near military bases, and of course, thats not an good place to have bbq und guitar sounds ;)

if your gonna camp and have a bbq with guitar then go up to the north east in my opinion I rarely see people there.

3 minutes ago, GuyRandomMan said:

if your gonna camp and have a bbq with guitar then go up to the north east in my opinion I rarely see people there.

Like the ridges and valleys just north of Berezhki, nice and quiet. 

• Like 1

Found this video of the real Tisy Antiaircraft Base.  Note the V3S truck.  Pretty cool.   And I can even feel the cold coming up from the concrete in my boots. 

Edited by barnabus
  • Like 7

On 05/06/2016 at 1:27 PM, Tatanko said:

It's so awesome that you managed to stalk someone for more or less the entirety of that character's life, and yet they probably never knew you were there at all. Truly something else :)

Haha thanks, I dont think ill get that lucky again for a very long time! Usually when ive tried to follow people, I either lose them or get spotted after two or three towns!

Gotta say though, as I was cooking up fred after the fight, admiring my new backpack, I started thinking...  How many times have we all been in someones scope on the verge of being shot, or followed for a period of time, waiting for an opporunity to stike.. Only to accidentally lose them or been allowed to live without any idea!

Made myself overly paranoid with the thought, and im now currently occupiying a bush on the fringe of Krasnoe...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, barnabus said:

Found this video of the real Tisy Antiaircraft Base.  Note the V3S truck.  Pretty cool. 

Still haven't made it up there in game yet, does it have those raised platforms that they showed in the SR with the helicopter on it?

The blue doors in the game and video, real curious about that colour choice my dad worked in the local pulp mill and they at one point painted all their big doors that exact colour. We even had a few gallons we used around here that we got for free when the place transitioned out of lead paint, me 15yo spraying it with no mask lol. I wonder if it was a hiviz choice or a chemically cheap colour to make?  

Cool video, something to do while I wait for the sun to pass the sweetspot that makes DayZ unplayable from the glare in my screens :)

Haven't driven since January or so, do think the V3S will ever perform like it should off road with it's 6wd and those chevron pizza cutter tires?

I'd assume you can drive with an Xbox 360 controller my kids turned me on to that, went out and bought one that no 10yo booger hands have touched and instantly stopped sucking at driving games?

• Like 1

Encountered an odd one. A player was so badly desynced they were invisible for the first 10 seconds hitting me with mele. Once they became visible they were just standing upright with their arms to their sides without a weapon in hand. Yet they were still able to hit me with mele attacks without displaying any animation. In .59 at least could bug out animations like that intentionally standing, prone or squatting haven't tested yet in .6. 

Deer and other animals can often get bugged out in fences/trees/walls where they just glitch into them and get stuck. One such case it was a bulletproof deer that got stuck had to go punch it out. 

Items disappearing is common when double carrying. Stairs still kill people. 

And oh god the servers are so full it takes 3x as long to try to join a game as getting actual play time so tough to actually "Test" anything. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, popeandy said:

*snip*

And oh god the servers are so full it takes 3x as long to try to join a game as getting actual play time so tough to actually "Test" anything. 

Pick the one with the best ping full or not, hover your pointer over the center of your screen where the popup's "ok" button appears, spam the enter key. You'll be in in minutes and they've been having lots of room after about 6 hours from now whatever time that is in your time. 

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Still haven't made it up there in game yet, does it have those raised platforms that they showed in the SR with the helicopter on it?

Those platforms?

jzk29s.jpg

Top of one of the platforms. (I always really like to see IRL origins of the structures and locations in DayZ.)

35ksm07.jpg

19 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Finally a quiet Sunday evening of DayZ EXP and some brewskies.

Got right in and did some science, the half hour rule and how it seems to work. Anyone who knows Skalatisy knows the shed past the lighthouse and the boats in the bay, the closest two boats are about 80-90m from the shed, the third is over 100m. I dropped gloves in the shed and noted a spray paint can, I cut armbands at all the boats around the bay, I ran the rest of the island getting back to the shed in 20 minutes. I shut the door and watched the gloves and spray paint to a little over 30 minutes without change. I ran back to the boats and the first two (under 100m from where I was lurking) also were unchanged, the third boat (over 100m) however was cleaned up and new raincoats had spawned at various boat spawn points with new stuff in the pockets.

I hypothesize there is a 100m no spawn/despawn bubble around players, this bubble may persist for a bit of time after a player logs out as I was kicked shortly twice right around the half hour mark but got right back in. 

I did some loot respawn tests before the servers went down for a few days and found out the following:

If an item is dropped by a player:

• If you stay next to dropped items they do not despawn
  • I did not find out if you reset the despawn timer when you walk next to items. More tests are needed but with the server going up and down this is very annoying to test.
  • Item cleanup timeout is ~1h
  • Burned down fireplaces also despawn after 1h
  • Killed chicken despawn ~15min
  • Barrels/Yellow Plastic boxes are persistent

Automatic CLE item cleanup:

• Items are cleaned up without any player interaction
  • Item cleanup time is in the range 1 to 3 hours
  • Each item has an individual cleanup timer (the items in a building are not cycled at the same time)

I did not repeat the tests yet but your results seem similar. Now with the more stable servers it should be easier to test this stuff!

After some of the stupid deaths I ever experienced in DayZ I had a really exciting session on UK-4. I logged back in on my 1PP character in castle Zub. I was not really well geared with a Red9 and some rounds. It was in the middle of the night and I noticed that a Lada was standing inside the walls (the V3S spawn was changed to a offroad spawn according to the game files). It was nearly repaired and had stuff in the inventory so I assumed that there are some players working on the car and decided to be careful.

In this moment I heard steps and three guys stood right before me. I think they were as surprised as I was. One guy had his gun out (I think it was an AK but I'm not sure) and raised it when I started talking. He did not respond but did not open fire either. Since nobody said anything I repeated that I'm friendly said and that I will leave them alone. It was really spooky running down the steep hill as they were standing on the rocks with weapons out. I just saw their silhouette when I peaked over the shoulder. I needed food and started searching Vysnoye always scanning the area if they decided to follow me. I was in the One-Story cabin and suddenly heard steps and so I pulled out my red 9 and during the animation I saw one of them peeking through the window with an AK in his hands. He did not say anything so I assumed he followed me to tie up loose ends so I started to fire at him. I don't know if the window was bulletproof but I don't think I hit him. I assumed that he will push me so I waited directly behind the front door and when I tried to rush the house I dropped without taking too much damage. I guess the AK guy used the "hide own dead body" option since his body disappeared after 1min right before me RIP AK 101 (this bug is so annoying). I spotted the two remaining players running down from Zub towards Vysnoye so I decided to do a really large flank with a short stop in Rogovo since I needed more food and weapons (still had my red 9). I got away without any further contact.

After looting Rogovo I spotted another geared guy heading south in the woods south of Rogovo. He also spotted me and started to shoot with his Skorpion. I fell back and waited until he followed me and also managed to drop him. He actually had decent gear but not enough ammo to head back to the coast to kill some fresh spawns. So maybe he has a camp near by. I was really low on blood so I just picked up his backpack and headed to a spot where I can see Zub from the distance. But I did not spot anybody on Zub so I guess everybody left the area. It was getting late and I logged out.

Today I'm still thinking about the guys from Zub: Why did they decide to let me go in the first place and follow me afterwards? Maybe the VON did not work and I could not hear them talk? But I'm not convinced that he came back for a nice chat since he had his AK out and peeked in the house. It's also possible that the AK guy in Vysnoye was another payer who was in the area (it was dark so maybe I confused him with one of the guys from Zub). 

1pp combined with the new night time visuals and the fact that you meet people everywhere + it's harder to find guns with ammo really made this situation something special.

• Like 3