SMoss

Exp Update: 0.60.+++

5 minutes ago, slizzedy said:

I can't even find any experimental servers. Removed all the filters, sorted the list by server version and all I get is 2 servers with .60 version but different build, going by the name THE TEST. Any chance of getting the IP adresses so I could try remote connect?

Check on full servers in your filter and set ping to 0

There are servers, but no new patch update at the moment. 

About those who are doing other things like 0.59, or not playing at all - I`ve only had two test sessions about 1 hour total since the test has been announced.  

I won`t bother to test anything until they fix the login client & sever structure properly. 

And upgrading hardware..

Edited by ori42

2 hours ago, ktaanthrax said:

your engine and your engine development team sucks so bad, that even a friend of mine, who studys game-development in the 3rd semester, can program a better collision detection then your guys. in his demonstration of a game engine, which he has done for study, you wont fall through walls, or get "eaten" by rocks

So your friend programmed an engine from scratch made a map as big as Chenarus+ with as many objects and different land shapes etc and also made it so that everything works in multiplayer?

Sounds like your friend is something special and Bohemia would have use for him, make him apply so we can have the perfect engine!

Edit: This conversation should be continued in another thread, this isn't the place for it, like I said.

Edited by benedictus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ktaanthrax said:

snip

Ah, another flamer. Watch out dragon, you'll kill us all.

I hate to disappoint you but after I read your message I laughed out loud. In fact, you know nothing about game development at all, it seems.

First of all, it seems you have no idea what Experimental really is. I thought I did and I did but I didn't knew 100 % of the story. Experimental is to test features to make it playable for people like you who run around on stable in Elektro killing everyone you can find. But not only that, it's also here to collect data, important data to enhance network performance for future builds and see where bugs in the code are. To be honest, I think they knew this would happen and they let it happen so they know exactly what they can expect in future builds. And that's ok because that is what Experimental is for.

Second, you're comparing DayZ Standalone to some mods. DayZ Standalone is a Standalone game. The mods already have the engine which contains most of the functionality thus it's easier to create content and at a faster pace. As far as I'm concerned they are rewriting or writing everything from scratch in the Standalone which takes it time.

Third, as already mentioned because of the huge popularity and huge sales of DayZ which wasn't expected they had to change their original plans. Suddenly they had money so they reiterated some of their decisions which takes time and made the development slow down.

Another thing, they do listen to their community. A lot of suggestions from the community has already been put in the game. For example, I suggested to give the Improvised Stone Knife the option to dig up worms. Guess what, next Experimental build I could dig up worms with my Improvised Stone Knife. There are many examples of these but I guess you haven't followed the progress, have you?

You also asked where the Feedback tracker was to prove one of your points. It is down because their was a potentional leak in the software. That's because it was 3rd party software, not developed by Bohemia and it compromised everything. That's why they don't use things like "umbra optimizer" because it is 3rd party software and it might compromise their safety and maybe even our safety.

You are complaining and ranting about this Early Access game. You payed money for an Early Access game and I'm sure you knew all the risks of paying for an Early Access game. So your point of the money is totally invalid. If you knew the risk and you bought it, why are you ranting now? I have played this game for over 1 year now and the game is an huge improvement for me since I started playing, maybe a bit slow but I do not give a shit because it's Early Access and I understand that. I guess I see this huge improvement because I'm not a person who is running around in Elektro all the time killing everyone I see, I actually explore the game and play it in many different ways.

Now a little tip for you: if you don't like where this game is going then don't play and come here. If you want to give your opinion, you may so but do it in a constructive way and get yourself informed on the things you say.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, St. Jimmy said:

Is it this bug?

This is what I was the most afraid of. If this only applies to one type of zombie, it's a bug. But if it is what I am thinking, they have lowered the render distance so much for performance gains that it will literally not show anything but terrain and objects beyond that distance. Have you tested this with players? I'd hate to run in a forest and not be able to see players in a town, unfortunately I have not been able to connect to any .6 servers because fuck players *amiright?*, but the render distance was one of the first thing I was gonna test.

1 minute ago, Ironhuge said:

This is what I was the most afraid of. If this only applies to one type of zombie, it's a bug. But if it is what I am thinking, they have lowered the render distance so much for performance gains that it will literally not show anything but terrain and objects beyond that distance. Have you tested this with players? I'd hate to run in a forest and not be able to see players in a town, unfortunately I have not been able to connect to any .6 servers because fuck players *amiright?*, but the render distance was one of the first thing I was gonna test.

Nah, definitely a bug. I have seen zombies more than 100 meters away and their still visible, players as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ironhuge said:

No I haven't test that on players. Haven't seen any and I've only played for 10mins until the server restarted. Just too much effort to try play when the servers are constantly full.

You can see that the other zombie far away on the tracks is still rendered though there maybe was a point where the metal pilars made it not to render. I'm wondering if that zombie is the paramedic one or is that happening because the "train waiting platform" occludes too much.

It was the paramedic one.

Edited by St. Jimmy

5 hours ago, igor-vk said:

What do you think will interest water down a bit?

Only time, my friend. You just have to let the shiny wear off ;)

4 hours ago, Kohlbar said:

Just checked and there's 24 servers worldwide, all of them full at 6am EST. That's 1440 players on exp at 6 am... For some reason I feel even double the servers would still be maxed out haha. Speaking of which I'm wondering where the US east and Northeast servers are

These are current locations for US Experimental servers:

East -- (not being used at the moment, usually Buffalo, New York)
Southeast -- Miami, Florida
Southcentral -- Atlanta, Georgia
Southwest -- Los Angeles, California

Southcentral is sometimes Texas. East is also sometimes Virginia/DC.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

SteamDB shows - "workshopdepot: 221100"

I don't recall seeing this before.

I like patches.

• Like 4

Got another 5 hour session in yesterday with GaryWalnuts, Dudester, and IMT. Had to rejoin the server twice due to restarts near the beginning, but it was smooth sailing after that and on all three attempts I was able to get in almost immediately.

Performance has been nothing but excellent. Others have remarked about the occasional FPS drop, but I haven't had any at all even in big cities. The only FPS killer I haven't visited yet in 0.60 is Novodmitrovsk, so we'll see how my rig handles that.

I've encountered very few major bugs, with the one notable pain being related to removing cooked meat from a stick after it's done. I'd heard about that bug previously but sort of forgot about it, and when I removed some cooked chicken it made my screen go white but kept me in the game; after alt-tabbing and closing an error message (accidentally I might add, without reading it!) I was able to play the game again without having to restart. After that, even after quitting and rejoining, the "DIRECT" box was stuck in the lower left corner of my screen the entire time, and I was unable to see status messages at all. They weren't just blocked by the box, they simply didn't show at all even behind it. It didn't prevent me from playing in any way, it just removed some indicators that we generally rely on to know when actions are complete/successful, when we need to pay attention to our stats, etc.

I noticed that the game now shows baked & boiled meats differently. In 0.59, all cooked meats look the same regardless of cooking method. Now, boiled and baked look distinctively different from one another:

Spoiler

Boiled:
0hz2597l.jpg

Baked:
ofriB5Ul.jpg

Some pictures of our travels:

Spoiler

KtzwmXQh.jpg
TenZ6N9h.jpg
qb0kNw1h.jpg
oXGLnBGh.jpg
bnvpw7uh.jpg

EDIT: Anyone else unable to see the second set of my pictures? They look fine in edit, but once posted I can't see them :(

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 8

I've not tried the experimental branch until this 0.60 release. I have to say, this is actually the most stable and playable version of Dayz Standalone for a long time. I'm not sure why they don't just move it to stable branch with it running better than most stable versions. At least that way people won't be trying to cram onto a handful of servers and they can't get more bug reports in.

4 hours ago, ktaanthrax said:

*snip*

All I heard during your whole rant was I'm a brainless moron! Apparently, you don't seem to comprehend that creating mods and actually making a game or new engine takes a lot more time than making a mod that works off of another games engine. Do you seriously think they care about your lame little threat of not buying any of their future games that might release in an early access state? Nope, they could care less about it. Instead of bitching and making the rest of us have to read someone's stupidity do the rest of the community a favor and go play those mods that you mention and come back when dayZ is released. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Caatalyst said:

I've not tried the experimental branch until this 0.60 release. I have to say, this is actually the most stable and playable version of Dayz Standalone for a long time. I'm not sure why they don't just move it to stable branch with it running better than most stable versions. At least that way people won't be trying to cram onto a handful of servers and they can't get more bug reports in.

nah, .59 servers running good with 12 hour restart time.

experimentals go down after short time and restart or die until someone hits them with an "Hammer", i dont saw one exp. server running the 12 hour cycle´without crash.

also, exp. servers are prepared to collect data for the devs plus bug reports from testers, stable servers are mostly for playing and bug reporter are very rare on stable.

.60 is NOT ready for stable, in my opinion

35 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I like patches.

Servers are down, guess we're getting our update. :)

Edit: Confirmed

Edited by IMT
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, wasnu said:

nah, .59 servers running good with 12 hour restart time.

experimentals go down after short time and restart or die until someone hits them with an "Hammer", i dont saw one exp. server running the 12 hour cycle´without crash.

also, exp. servers are prepared to collect data for the devs plus bug reports from testers, stable servers are mostly for playing and bug reporter are very rare on stable.

.60 is NOT ready for stable, in my opinion

Ahh! I guess I was just taking into consideration local performance and not the servers! Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ktaanthrax said:

yeah, i wanted to see, what´ve they done with my money. and thats my right, since i paid for it. and sure, i wanted to submit bugs or otherwise i would not have bought an EA game. is the feedback tracker online again?

I hate to break it to you but this is NOT an EA game. Bohemia Interactive is a independent studio which is not owned by EA or anyone else for that matter. The fact that you keep claiming EA owns BI just shows you're just spouting BS. You make all of these claims about what your "friend" can do but strangely not once do you provide evidence of your point. As I said before, there's a huge difference between making a mod and actually programming a new engine/game. All you've shown is that you're just another armchair programmer pretending to know what he's talking about when the truth is, you don't know crap.

• Like 1

Got on for about an hour today, again performance was superb. Ran from Vybor to Kabanino and enjoyed the day turning to night. Bumped all of my settings up to max and was still getting 120fps in the fields. Got a bit closer to Kabanino and it dropped down to about 70fps, turned shadows off and it went up to 140... So shadows are worth nearly double performance it seems currently, though I did have them on very high and I know they are always a crazy performance drain. 

Anyways, wandered around, got held up but not murdered in Kabanino which was a surprise. Had a quick chat and then the guy left me to try and repair the hatchback I had found. Got everything but one tire on it so ran to Stary and found another, ran back and some a****** had stolen two of the wheels! Ah well, had a quick look around and started heading North where the server restarted just as I was running into Grishino..

Overall the performance is superb and the game looks amazingly pretty when you have everything maxed out. I will test shadows a bit more to see if I can find a happy medium as they do look awesome but obviously very high is not a good idea.. But even without them the game still looks superb and there are some shadows even when they are turned off, I noticed my character had one at all times. Don't know if that is new or a bug or whatever but it looked good. Stary FPS dropped down to about 70-80 so I am very happy with that and during my last time, Svetlo didn't drop below 60-70 I don't think so hopefully people will able to play in big cities without the awful fps drops. 

I did post this in the bugs sub forum but has anyone else noticed that when you go in some buildings, it stops the rest of the world rendering outside when you look through doors? I have noticed it mainly on the big brown barns when you look through the small side doors. Then you walk a bit closer to it and everything renders, but until that point its all just flat green ground like you see on the edges of the map. It did happen on one of the big white barns too.. Is anyone else getting that or is it just me? 

Anyways, looking forward to getting on again at some point or just awaiting the move to stable :) Really, really pleased with .60 though and the potential for where this game can go is quite staggering. Here's hoping the devs keep pushing on and making this the game we want to see. 

36 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

*snip*

EDIT: Anyone else unable to see the second set of my pictures? They look fine in edit, but once posted I can't see them :(

You mean the second spoiler? I can see them just fine.

3 minutes ago, LordBlackwolf said:

I hate to break it to you but this is NOT an EA game. Bohemia Interactive is a independent studio which is not owned by EA or anyone else for that matter. The fact that you keep claiming EA owns BI just shows you're just spouting BS. You make all of these claims about what your "friend" can do but strangely not once do you provide evidence of your point. As I said before, there's a huge difference between making a mod and actually programming a new engine/game. All you've shown is that you're just another armchair programmer pretending to know what he's talking about when the truth is, you don't know crap.

I think he was referring to Early Access in his post, and not the beady eyed, fascist, child kicking corporation that is EA!

But he is coming across as a bit of a seadog... ill give him that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LordBlackwolf said:

I think he means, "EA" as in Early Access...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, galekast said:

I think he means, "EA" as in Early Access...

Probably, I just probably read it wrong as he mentioned games like Dirt among other games that have no relation to DayZ in terms of their size and scope. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Seems to create a depot related to Steam Workshop (check out other games that already have that "activated"). Probably the very, very first step towards user-created content :)

• Like 3

I got on and managed to play for about 30 minutes this morning. I spawned near the vybor military base as that's where I was friday when I last played and I decided to check out the base even though I knew it would be risky and as I was checking one of the barracks some loser came in and started trying to shoot me with his shotgun and missed so I decided to run out of the building and as I ran away he tried shooting at me again but missed badly.

I then ran to myshinko tents to see what I could find and as I searched the tents I noticed another player in the vicinity but thankfully that player didn't try to kill me and shortly after that the server crashed. I managed to get back on and spawned near one of the tents again and as I continued searching I ran into another player who I am assuming was the player I previously spotted being chased by zeds so I continued searching and came across a tent and decided to leave before someone killed me for it and I ran off to find a place to setup my new tent.

Before I went to the myshinko tents though I dropped my mountain backpack further away just in case I was killed while searching the area and when I came back it had sunk half-way into the ground so it's possible items aren't despawning as thought but instead are sinking into the ground. I could be wrong though so it's something to look into either way.

• Like 1

Things are already live and almost full :D

• Like 2

As unfortunate as the glut of players vs server spots may be in some way, the devs must be thrilled at the amount of (and the enduring nature) of the excitement over 0.60. It really does speak to the numbers (including me) who will peacefully put the game away for a few or several months and come back later in the development process.

• Like 4

Lol I love seeing the new guys and lurkers talk smack at each other. There are plenty of casual games for you guys to go play and complain about.