Sign in to follow this  
fighter5347

Computer Shuts Down

Hi,

I have a really annoying problem with Day Z Standalone. When I play the game, it suddenly shuts down my PC without any reason. It's like you have pressed the on/off button of your pc too long, but in case of my problem the pc restarts. 

I have this problem since I have started playing Day Z, but now with my new GPU it gets really annoying, as it occurs every time I play the game (with the gtx 660 ti I just had this problem from time to time -> that's why it was not so annoying) 

The strange thing is, that it just happens with Day Z Standalone. I can play games like The Witcher 3, CS-GO, Paragon, UT,... on ultra settings without this strange shut down of my pc + my specs should be good enough to play Day Z

Specs:

1. gpu - zotac gtx 960 amp edition (4gb Vram)
  2. cpu - intel i5-3570 3.4GHz
  3. 8 GB RAM
  4. power supply - dont know the brand, but it has 550 W 

The temperature of the CPU and GPU is ok (around 50°) + I have tested it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 + I reinstalled Day Z + I checked how much W my PC needs (e.g it already crashes at 0.7 ampere = 180 W) + nothing in the windwos event viewer (just that there was an unexpected restart) + 

Somebody has an idea what I can do against this problem? I really want to play Day Z again. :( 

Edited by fighter5347

I don't really know but sounds a bit like your MoBo may be dying since you had the problem before with your older GPU. Maybe some parts just get too hot (the ones not monitored - north bridge maybe) Just guessing here. Did you check BIOS settings, maybe some thresholds getting maxed out? Timing problems maybe? Dayz SA is CPU intensive. You have paired RAM? Reset BIOS to defaults and try changing settings from there? Just dishing out some suggestions here. Maybe you could do some stress / benchmark test on your system and see if they cause the same restarts? Hopefully someone gives some better suggestions than me ;) Good luck!

(my system is weaker than yours and I never experienced these problems)

It sounds like a hardware temperature issue for sure. If I had to guess it would be your CPU overheating. If your motherboard was going out, you would have blue screens and crashes EVERYWHERE, not just in DayZ. The game itself is very CPU intensive, so if you don't have the best airflow or fan in there, there is a potential for overheating. What software are you using to check your temps? Keep in mind there is a difference between core temp and whats read by a lot of software as CPU temp (aka tcase) Depending on the location of the sensors, you can have a variance of up to 5C. I would suggest to run a CPU stress test (prime 95 is the hardest to pass imo, but only use only Prime95 version 26.6). I am willing to bet you that you cannot pass a stress test without shutting down. Your computer is programmed to shut itself off once it hits a certain temperature in order to prevent it from frying itself out or starting a fire. 

Check your idle temps and load temps, and report back. If you are seeing CPU temps in 90's C under load, then that is the problem for sure.

I know you say your temps are fine, but list them anyway please. You said its around 50C, but is that under load or idle? What does your temp read in your BIOS screen? This just screams CPU temp issue to me. 

Also, is anything overclocked? You said the CPU is 3.4GHz in your description so I am assuming not, but too high of a voltage can also cause crashes and/or temp issues. Make sure everything in that regard is set to default.

Edited by JBURNS489

If your CPU, MOBO are not overheating and shutting down your computer then I think your issue may be your PSU, the minimum system power requirement for your GPU is 450W. Maybe with all your other components running it is drawing more than your PSU can handle. I had this issue myself.

I know you mentioned that your PSU is 550W but it may not be supplying the full 550W. There are different ratings for PSU's like Titanium, Platinum, Gold, Bronze and white I think. Titanium is the best which will give you 94% efficiency rating, white gives you about 85% efficiency rating which would mean your PSU is only drawing about 467W if you have a 550W PSU. If you dont have a good brand PSU like Corsair for instance you may not even be getting 467W.

EDIT: When it happened to me it only seemed to happen when I played ARMA III, I didint play Dayz at this time. When I played other games it didn't happen. Like JBURNS mentions Dayz is very CPU intensive and your CPU may be drawing more power than it would be from other games and this is what may be causing the crash.

Edited by Fightn Irish

Thx for all your replies! :) 

@JBURNS489 == I checked my temperature with core temp and on idle it was at 40° and during Day Z it went up to max 60°. The PC is not overclocked, everything is on default settings. Will check the temperature in BIOS + will run a stress test 

@Fightn Irish == I will try to get a 650 or 750 W to test it :)

I will report back when I have tested all those things.

Your temps seem do seem to be okay. I am with fighting irish on this one. A low tier PSU can cause all sorts of weird behavior, including shutting down. Prime95 stress test would still be a good idea though because if your pc crashes and you stay within thermal limits, then it is very likely to be a power issue. Usually if its a power issue though you would get an entry in the event viewer from the power kernel

Hmm, seems like a Day Z problem. The temperature is perfect and my PC is not crashing during different benchmarks and stresstests + my system isn't even running on full power (just when I play the witcher 3 I max out my system).

The last thing that I will test is to use a better PSU, when it's not working I will have to wait for the next update. :( 

If you believe it's a software issue then check your launch options and remove anything in there.

Steam>Library>right click DayZ>properties>Set Launch Options>(remove all)

Some of those outdated switches can mess things up

I now also wonder if it could be wise to do a clean install of Dayz SA? Also, could these problems be caused by bad sectors on your harddisk? Maybe do a disk test and some defragmenting (if it's a HDD)