jazzraill

no luck finding any kind of ammo

almost all sessions i play, all my characters starve to death while trying to find some ammo to defend my self. i look almost every building, police stations, fire stations, with one of my characters i checked 2 airfields. i come across many kinds of weaponry like mosins, aks, sks but still, not even a single bullet. then i give up and suicide somewhere. is there someting im missing playing this game? or is this a normal thing and people who has guns with ammo really give their time searching? i feel like, there is only one or two houses with ammo loot, in whole chernarus. 

try to go inland and search unlooted towns..ammo is rare at the moment, but if you go in heavy pop towns you'll find none for sure.

i've been always lucky in my last 3 lives, but i had to walk a lot to go up north, paying attention to not go in popular areas to actually find places where i was the first to step foot on.

after you found what you are looking for, you can go wherever you want.

you can craft a bow if you want..you need only a rope or 6 rags to make one, a long stick from a tree, and short sticks as arrows, which you can improve with feathers searching chicken huts. you can use aswell bones from dead bodies. first step is crafting a stone knife, searching the ground in rocky areas or on the beach. it takes a lot of practice to use, but it can protect you from zombies and players while you look for ammo.

• Like 1

is there someting im missing playing this game?

With all due respect, it seems that if you are starving to death while looking for ammo, you might be looking for the wrong loot...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fatsheldon said:

With all due respect, it seems that if you are starving to death while looking for ammo, you might be looking for the wrong loot...

true but, its death either way, if i search for food without rushing guns and ammo, some armed player kills me. if i dont, hunger or thirst kills me. one time i played i thought: ok.. i will survive this time. i had looted for hours and had many food and water items in my backpack. then i saw an armed guy far on the road, he saw me too and when i tired to run, bam... im dead. i was thinking, maybe if i didnt waste time taking everything i find and rush guns and ammo instead, maybe i had some luck against that guy. but still, guns are ok to find but i cant find any kind of ammo to defend my self so i can start searching for food etc.  

I don't know how this works for you guys but if I got to NWAF for example, up to the point I see the airfield, I already have at least a loaded weapon, clothing, backpack, bandages and basic stuff.

• Like 2

Sorry man normally I would have info to help fellow survivors but I know nothing of the coastal life.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jazzraill said:

true but, its death either way,

if i search for food without rushing guns and ammo, some armed player kills me. if i dont, hunger or thirst kills me.

one time i played i thought: ok.. i will survive this time. i had looted for hours and had many food and water items in my backpack. then i saw an armed guy far on the road, he saw me too and when i tired to run, bam... im dead.

i was thinking, maybe if i didnt waste time taking everything i find and rush guns and ammo instead, maybe i had some luck against that guy. but still, guns are ok to find but i cant find any kind of ammo to defend my self so i can start searching for food etc.  

Let me break this down for you:

Its always death. No matter what. So have fun while you're playing.. otherwise, why are you doing it? 

If you just play the game, loot everything while staying safe, take everything useful you can find, then eventually you'll realize you are actually playing dayz. Which is the point. Just play. Let ammo come when it comes. 

People will kill you.. even if you have ammo. The best defense, is not being seen. Try not being seen first, then worry about having the ammo to shoot the people you come across. 

There is one unwritten rule in dayz: that which you seek, you shall not find. 

So take some advice.. stop looking for just ammo. I swear its programmed into the game somehow, that when you only want one thing.. you somehow never find it. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jazzraill said:

is there someting im missing playing this game?

yes -  don't look for a gun
get away from the coast and large towns

first chance you get drink a whole load of water
then go eat apples for about 10 mins - you know where to find apples
when you are full and healthy
find a stone and make a stone knife

stay out of sight
run away from danger

start looting around villages.. (cut the first shirt you find to make rags)
In villages you'll food and clothing and water and backpacks as well as ammo and handguns and rifles and shotguns and melee weapons (a splitting axe is good)

now you're set up to start being as mean and bad as you like

no point running starving straight to NWA in your underwear and expect to be treated nice
(where people and zombies are - don't go there)

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jazzraill said:

i had looted for hours and had many food and water items in my backpack. then i saw an armed guy far on the road, he saw me too and when i tired to run, bam... im dead.

Well, there's your problem, right there.  You were on a road. Don't use roads.  You know who uses roads?  Players with 1000 hours of game time, and still no ability to navigate the woods.  Call them what you want: highwaymen, roaming bandits, blacktop assassins.  The outcome is always the same.  You. Are. Dead.

How about next time, you pick up a compass, a water bottle, and an improvised knife, and take a cross-country tour of all the hunting stands and feeder huts?  The latter will often have edible berry-bushes growing nearby to keep you from dying too quickly; don't eat the blue ones.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 2

Yeah seriously, get off the main roads and paths and for gods sake what are you doing anywhere near the coast. I don't KoS but from now on if I meet a bambi on the coast going to Czerno, and he's not meeting a friend, I'll just save them the energy and time of the run and brain them there and then.

So, yeah, follow the advice others have given you, ignore my ranting, and you'll be flourishing in no time. :)

• Like 1

searching for arms before food is just dumb.  players only MIGHT kill you - starvation WILL kill you.

• Like 2

The best thing to do when you start out is to look for proper clothing and a backpack and focus on this for the first ten-fifteen minutes or so. Food is not really scarce in this build as you can easily pick apples and drink from wells and sustain yourself that way. But cans are everywhere, you should find them easily. While you look for food and clothing you WILL find weapons and ammo. Usually you will not find ammo for the weapon you got right away and this is where the clothes and backpacks come in. Pick em all up, or as many as you can. Then you will increase your chances for actually finding ammo for a gun that you have. For instance, if you carry a mosin on your back, carbine in your hands, magnum, red nine, amphibia, 1911 and sawed-off in your pack you have a very good chance of actually getting a gun-ammo combo that works. Then when youve found soemthing decent you just throw away the others.

Also, If you find a dead guy, cut up the corpse and you get fine meat from it. You need charcoal tabs though.

• Like 1

Easy fix. Drop your gun in favour of something else. You will instantly start finding ammo for the gun you used to have, but you will never find the gun you dropped.

• Like 3

all the advices are good, the ammo and the guns come while you loot what you need, but leave the coast..there's nothing there. it's just a shooting range, you learn how to pvp but gearing up properly is harder, since the loot spawns are all looted continously. if you want to enjoy the coast, it's still better to gear somewhere else and go back there just to pvp.

On 4/26/2016 at 0:49 AM, jazzraill said:

almost all sessions i play, all my characters starve to death while trying to find some ammo to defend my self. i look almost every building, police stations, fire stations, with one of my characters i checked 2 airfields. i come across many kinds of weaponry like mosins, aks, sks but still, not even a single bullet. then i give up and suicide somewhere. is there someting im missing playing this game? or is this a normal thing and people who has guns with ammo really give their time searching? i feel like, there is only one or two houses with ammo loot, in whole chernarus. 

So lots of good advice, one thing that is commonly known that you may not know is that ammo is hard to see and especially in military bases in tents, it may be beneath the floor out of sight and you should do a ground search and walk while that is open so you can see things pop up on the floor search. If I spawn on the coast, search for a rock on the rocky looking beach and make it into a knife to open cans, find can food and a canteen and a water pump. Search every house carefully, sheds, cars, trunks etc. By the time I get through one big town, I will be stuffed with food and water, getting healthy and have some kind of weapon with ammo to fire and an axe. Hit a couple military bases, especially tent city way out west and I will have an AKM with a couple mags and decent military clothes etc. Once you get the hang of where to do the ground search in buildings etc you will find more useful equipment.

Edited by Excanto
  • Like 2

Lots of good tips already here. But, what I think you're missing is you're focusing on ammo way too early after spawning. It is in fact possible to find ammo on the coast you just have to look in the right places for it, which it doesn't sound like you are. And you might be passing up tons of ammo because you may not be looking for it in the right way. Like Excanto suggested above, open your inventory and walk in the area suspected to have the ammo. Many times, as you may have already seen, ammo doesn't always come in the form of a box. Often you will find a loose pile of it laying randomly on a floor to first glance you cannot see. I find more loose piles of ammo over boxes.

Ammo can be found in the following places (IME):

- Vehicles (vehicles with doors and trunks that open) *best place IMO*

- On the metal and wooden shelves in houses

- On stoves (ranges) in houses *next best place* 

- On smaller tables and night stands in houses

- On and near the stone and metal fireplaces in some houses

- Sometimes randomly in the middle of the floor in houses (not often but it happens)

Mind you that when I say 'best place and next best' above it is apart from the obvious places; i.e. police stations, military areas, etc. I'm purely thinking of finding ammo on the coast to help answer your question.

For me, this is how a typical run after spawning goes. Find knife/axe/or make improvised knife, find can of food to hold me over, find backpack or make improvised, then look for guns and ammo. You're only starving because your priorities are a little mixed up. Hope this helped. Have fun!

• Like 1