simonvic

Better (more realistic/hardcore) optics...

I think that optics should change, they should be like this for a better hardcore experience:

ytW7FdH.jpg

167459413.jpg

ss_ffe519ff2d7998fc84bd3d070f55f49d34790

Let me know what do you think :D

Ideally, I wish all games would and could do it this way. The way it was explained to me is that games must render the entire scene at two different levels (essentially like two copies of the same image) in order to render scopes like this. One at the normal magnification and another at the magnification that the scope uses. That makes the scene twice as taxing on hardware. Perhaps eventually tricks will be developed to get around this. 

• Like 1

This is me just spitballing, but i think that a secondary "Camera" could be used to view the said area in the magnification, then send that image back to view it that way. Again, i really don't know.

Why don't they just render the whole thing zoomed and blur out everything outside the scope instead of messing with the resolution?

I'm not a game designer, but...maybe I'm just assuming this is far more complicated than I imagine. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Ideally, I wish all games would and could do it this way. The way it was explained to me is that games must render the entire scene at two different levels (essentially like two copies of the same image) in order to render scopes like this. One at the normal magnification and another at the magnification that the scope uses. That makes the scene twice as taxing on hardware. Perhaps eventually tricks will be developed to get around this. 

I think it's not so "complicated"... In my opinion directx 11 could allow to render this in real-time without problems, but I'm not an expert :D

14 hours ago, Rags! said:

Why don't they just render the whole thing zoomed and blur out everything outside the scope instead of messing with the resolution?

I'm not a game designer, but...maybe I'm just assuming this is far more complicated than I imagine. 

Actually in almost every fps is how you said, for example if you aim with an ACOG scope you'll see the entire scene zooming... maybe in DayZ there is no blur, but in my opinion DayZ should be as more realistic/hardcore as possible, so I would be so happy if I'll see this in DayZ, because when I saw this kind of "aiming" I got a huge erection :D

Insurgency does this. We love it because of it. The feel is unique and very immersive.

On 21.4.2016 at 1:20 AM, ColdAtrophy said:

The way it was explained to me is that games must render the entire scene at two different levels (essentially like two copies of the same image) in order to render scopes like this. 

On 22.4.2016 at 7:38 AM, Zimorak said:

i think that a secondary "Camera" could be used to view the said area in the magnification, then send that image back to view it that way.

That is exactly what happens. The source engine on modern Hardware is quite capable of delivering a good experience with this technique. I highly doubt that DayZs engine will be.

Yeah ! +1

I kinda like the rendering of optics in insurgency: