GuyRandomMan

How do you greet people in dayz

Whenever I meet someone in game I always say "hello person who is not going to murder me" (it usually ends with me getting murdered) 

How do you guys greet people? (besides with lead)

Edited by GuyRandomMan
  • Like 1

I usually say "Hello Sir!". I hope to remind adults of their adulthood and prevent them from behaving like childish rambos this way. Best answer i got until now was "Hello fine man!", and there i knew that the guy was alright.

• Like 1

yesterday in dayz I said "hello person who is not going to murder me" (I just spawned in electro) as I was running into town, I instantly get shot and my legs break. Next thing I know I have two Asian guys are running around me speaking in broken english. I ask them to finish me off but they refuse. they start dropping stuff around me to tease me. One of them stupidly drops his magnum, I pick it up, shoot 5 bullets into him and use the last to commit suicide. I spawn Right back in electro, I see his buddy, I loot a couple of houses and find a hatchet, I run at the other guys friend, getting shot once in the process, and kill him with the hatchet, i die shortly afterward of bleeding. 

What is the point of this story you may ask? well is it always a good idea to announce yourself when entering a city, I discovered that it can be hilarious. 

Edited by GuyRandomMan
  • Like 3

I try to get as close as I can, and then shout "Greetings, Survivor.  I mean you no ill-will."  It usually works out alright, as long as I'm not looking for friends in a place where everyone goes to look for trouble.  A few days ago, we were role-playing police in Berezino.  We would restrain people, put them in the jail, and explain that we are posted here to defend high-value public assets and keep order.  It was mostly a protective custody type thing, where we would feed and water the prisoners while trying to capture or kill anyone shooting at civilians.  Some people refused to follow lawful orders, and force had to be used.

If I am alone I usually approach people with a very matter of fact tone saying something along the lines of, "Hello there by the (insert structure, building, or map feature), I saw you approaching the area a moment ago and I wanted you to know that am not here for a firefight and just wanted to alert you of my presence so as not to startle you. If you need any food or water, I can help; if you have anything worth trading, we can possibly do that too."

Some guys immediately try to shoot, or run. (I either return fire or run as well.)

Some guys just freeze and do the friendly wiggle without talking. (I will often take this as a neutral encounter and simply leave.)

People who talk are either honest survivors, or murderers trying to trap me. If the vibe is right I might make a short term partnership to loot an area with them and maybe learn a little about their journey and what they saw along the way. In these cases, I rarely turn my back to people and often keep well out of range of melee while interacting. I consider having my pulse taken without my consent or people who keep invading my space as possibly more hostile and will usually break off at the slightest hint of something being off.

If I am with a friend or friends and we have the superior numbers it is usually easier to basically hold someone at gunpoint to control the situation and suss out their intentions through interrogation.

The servers you choose to play on make a big difference too.

I play on mostly 1PP servers and they tend to have more neutral and friendly players so my averages for neutral and friendly encounters is probably higher than most.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 2

I'm always polite and start with a "Hello friend!" though I am generally standing behind cover of some sort and rarely approach without being armed. And I have to add that the last two months the number of friendly or non-hostile encounters has increased for me exponentially. Almost as if the community is....maturing....:P  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rags! said:

8IV6xAy.gif

^ and this is why we can't have good things in 'call of' dayz people.. exactly this..

ontopic: how do I greet people?
mostly I don't I tend to stay away from people (because of the rags! comment) 

If I meet up with people.. I tend to be civilized... just like people are in the real world.. when they meet someone.. (apart from the handshake) everything is kinda identical..
'hello/goodmorning/afternoon/night sir/miss, how are you doing?'
'hello/goodmorning/afternoon/night sir/miss, how is surviving coming along for you?'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Konfucious K said:

I'm always polite and start with a "Hello friend!" though I am generally standing behind cover of some sort and rarely approach without being armed. And I have to add that the last two months the number of friendly or non-hostile encounters has increased for me exponentially. Almost as if the community is....maturing....:P  

now now... don't throw your chips down just yet... LOL XD maybe all the impatient KoS kids have stopped playing since it takes to loooong for updates to come out.. and they really really really! need that M4 back + that heavy M249

• Like 1

I greet everyone with a fwendly bullet to the face... for camouflage

Wait... people greet each other in this game?

When i see someone that is not in my group, i check his gear and if iam interested i (or we) hold him up. If he doesnt speak english/doesnt talk at all or insults us, we handcuff him, break his legs, put a burlap sack above his head and leave him there. <- Happened 1-3 times in around 600 hours

Typically i get shot at.

3 hours ago, Rags! said:

8IV6xAy.gif

Getting killed by someone with a shotgun is a relatively nice greeting. Considering they are great for breaking legs and leaving players helplessly stranded.

At this point, if I don't just avoid you, I'll put an arrow between your knees to make sure you leave me alone.

With the game how it is, and how it has been, I have little reason to talk to anyone at this point. I don't need anything from them, and they are probably just going to try to kill me.

Of course, I have been pleasantly surprised. Not nearly often enough, however.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

At this point, if I don't just avoid you, I'll put an arrow between your knees -snip-

"I used to be a survivor like you, then I met Whyherro123 and took an arrow to the knee."

• Like 2

You either:

a) avoid people altogether (best if you prefer to survive in this survival game)

or 

b) shoot them.

There is no real middle ground. Trying to be friendly gets you killed 999/1000.

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 2

From a safe distance

"hey man, im just speaking up so you know im not a threat.''

'' are you friendly?''

if they dont react:

'' I need you to speak up now or I really need to assume youre hostile, which i dont want too.''

'' Come on man just speak up.''

• Like 1

stay out of sight to make voice contact
have the drop on them
watch what they do when they understand you are talking to them

if you are in sight to make voice contact (your first mistake) make sure you:
have the drop on them

1 ) if they even start sprinting around - back off
kill them now / leave the area
(if you don't shake them you have to kill sprinters anyway, any safe method you can)

2 ) if you speak to them and there is even once a pause of 2+ seconds before they reply - they are talking to their friends on TS
kill them now
leave the area now

this is not unfriendly this is a survival guide

= = =
sprinters and TS are the two things that make all contact totally ridiculous, dangerous, unrealistic, stupid, not worth while, haphazard and meaningless in DayZ

(unless you play for laffs, ok)

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 3

On 4/22/2016 at 6:39 PM, ColdAtrophy said:

You either:

a) avoid people altogether (best if you prefer to survive in this survival game)

or 

b) shoot them.

There is no real middle ground. Trying to be friendly gets you killed 999/1000.

I try to be friendly it usually ends with me dead but I sometimes make a friend or two which makes me happy :)

On 22/04/2016 at 11:56 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

"I used to be a survivor like you, then I met Whyherro123 and took an arrow to the knee."

get that treated - you know he urinates on them ?

• Like 1

Problem with me greeting other people is that they can't hear me over the sound of my gunfire. A bullet to the head can do the trick.

I love how you can pretty much gauge the level of sophistication of the player by their response to this thread.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 4

This works especially well if your a fresh spawn.

Run up to the stranger and put your fists up for a fist bump. This international sign has become the new hand shake in todays world. If he backs off, just try it again. He will figure out what your trying to do and respond in kind.  Congratulations, new friend made.

• Like 2