DJSade

Is DayZ a disappointment?

Is DayZ a disappointment?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is DayZ a disappointment?

• Disappointment
    • Not disappointment

30 minutes ago, Tigermonk said:

^ with that post you just did go into this discussion.. ...

Fair enough, My bad then ;)

I wouldn't say disappointment, but a case study of a game that should not go into early access. Early access games should be brought onto existing engine platforms with as little as possible to go wrong during production. Dayz is on a platform that is even still developed with each iteration of the game. It's bound to have more problems. 

Technically, this engine is better than a lot of games that are "released". Take Life is Feudal, for example - awesome game on paper, but without the funding and tech updates of Dayz. Playing LiF made me understand and appreciate ones more all the upgrades the Dayz devs bring to their software. It's totally necessary for a game like Dayz though, while LiF still plays okay with crappy controls and data streaming hickups. Dayz=good game, feel sorry for the devs, but at the same time think they are doing gods work ;)

It's disappointing to wait, but the only thing I dislike is being told with some mild emphasis ("probably end of February") when by the end of April still nothing happens. If anything Hicks and his lose mouth ruined the game updates in the past month for me. Keep that guy quiet and things will be fine. Stick to what is done and stop showing us stuff that's nowhere near to make it into the game prototype, and I'll be happy. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

On 15.4.2016 at 5:10 PM, DJSade said:

DayZ was a blast 2 years ago. But what do the community think about it now? And even with the upcoming .60 patch.. Is it a disappointment or not?

My mom said 'No, it's not!'

On 4/15/2016 at 11:25 PM, silverblade1233 said:

I don't know why they gave up the mod years ago

Because its a mod and not owned by Bohemia.

• Like 1

well at least I got 1 vote- but Irishjake got 9 votes
And that shows what always happens on these topics
- vote rigging

Sade-The-Sweetest-Taboo-top-100-yacht-ro

oh33ty.jpg

- see ? anyone can do it

Answers you receive from people in regards to the question "is DayZ a disappointment" will never be an accurate answer, or a fact for that matter. All answers you receive are purely opinions that may have slight justification. Anyone who claims DayZ to be a disappointment think so due to bad experiences, glitches, or the fact that the anatomy of how the game runs is difficult to grasp (for some).

I personally believe that DayZ is the complete opposite of a disappointment based off of what it started as, what it is currently, and what it will become in the future. The game has more potential than almost any other game I've ever laid eyes on. When a friend gave me a brief rundown of what DayZ is and the things you could do in it and the freedom you had, I was enthralled. To see the game start to slowly close in on the Beta stage and even the finished version, while not anytime soon, still reassures me that DayZ will be a foe to reckon with after final release throughout all PC and Console titles. Imagine, upon completion and official, polished release of the game, trailers booming throughout every corner of the internet, new eyes gazing upon the fresh new name with glimmering potential for kick-ass.. The player population will boost maybe another whole digit, and since almost every new player wants to play the game like the gritty survival game where friends are important, instead of immediately being confronted by the harsh reality of the game, they meet other new players seeking the same thing leading to maybe the rebound of DayZ.

• Like 1

Is the game disappointing? No. But I would say the communication the devs have with the game's community is rather.....shit. It's sad because they said they would work on that but it has been months and I feel the communication has gradually gotten worse. I remember being able to hop on the forums a couple months ago and see some neat shit the devs were working on (not status report. Just normal shares and pics from devs' twitter) but now the dev tracker is dry as hell. It's a shame because I'd much rather daily twitter feed and leaks than a biweekly status report that is 50% filled with community shoutouts.

Just for reference: the last thing to get posted to the dev tracker was January 22... 86 days ago

Edited by SFRGaming
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, therandomredstone said:

The player population will boost maybe another whole digit, 

I had to laugh here when you said this because I got a flash-scare of servers crapping themselves on launch if this were to occur. 

I expect development and development is what I got.    (though the butthurt over the long coming .60 build is semi-understandable)

I do not expect a game with an engine in development to be a "blast".

55 minutes ago, sausagekingofchicago said:

I expect development and development is what I got.    (though the butthurt over the long coming .60 build is semi-understandable)

I do not expect a game with an engine in development to be a "blast".

I'm sure 95% of us agree but I'm sure every one of us would appreciate more seamless communication

The poll would be more in the other direction if the forums didn't die and have to be duct taped back together. All the people who do think it is a disappointment didn't bother coming back after that happened. All the people who don't, did come back. 

Except me. 2 and a half years almost... and this is what we got. 

But a part of me hasn't given up hope. 

:D You guys just won't believe how naive I am. Get this: I've been away for two months, since February, when 0.60 was 'any day now'. I've been very busy for that time and couldn't play but an hour ago or so it hit me: "DayZ! 0.60 must be in by now! Let me check if it made to the stable already!".

I guess that deep down, I'm still a sweet, innocent, wide-eyed child. Thank you, BI, for bringing it out of me.

As with everything in the modern day, DayZ over promised and has so far under delivered on more or less everything because of a seemingly unregulated sliding timescale, which I think would have been much tighter had the game not been released as alpha. Having said that, I've got my money's worth out of the game in terms of hours played, so I can't complain too much. 

Edit: Also, as above, developer communication is absolutely awful.

Edited by krisfx
  • Like 1

On 2016-04-15 at 10:10 AM, DJSade said:

DayZ was a blast 2 years ago. But what do the community think about it now? And even with the upcoming .60 patch.. Is it a disappointment or not?

This is like asking if you like a house when only the framing is done and doesnt even have a roof or walls on yet.

17 hours ago, QUAZIMOFO said:

This is like asking if you like a house when only the framing is done and doesnt even have a roof or walls on yet.

Actually it's more like a company telling you that certain sections of the house will be finished by this time and 2 years later instead of all the rooms being in a livable state, they all have unfinished walls and holes in the roof.

On 2016-04-22 at 6:52 AM, SFRGaming said:

Actually it's more like a company telling you that certain sections of the house will be finished by this time and 2 years later instead of all the rooms being in a livable state, they all have unfinished walls and holes in the roof.

Not really. There was never a set date for the house being done and you were told not to move in until the roof and walls was up but you did it anyways so....

1 hour ago, Killawife said:

Not really. There was never a set date for the house being done and you were told not to move in until the roof and walls was up but you did it anyways so....

You're taking this way too literally. And the devs do actually give ballpark dates. Have you not kept up with them at all? And moving in is irrelevant. Fact of the matter is, the devs give out way too many ballpark dates that are 95% of the time never met.

Yes they do, but whining about it won't change it. Neither will making comparisons that aren't exactly correct. I've played the game since its release to Early access and has followed its development closely. Saying that its not playable is wrong. Saying that it hasn't evolved is wrong. Saying that its never going to be finished is most likely wrong as well. Saying that time goals set haven't been met is however correct. But so far its not really relevant. Its just one more thing to bash. If you like this game, stop doing it.

On 15-4-2016 at 8:13 PM, DJSade said:

I don't know. I got the most of the game at the first year of its alpha early access, what's the point of getting excited at release? Like, we paid for a release at some point - but whats the point if you never get to enjoy it.. And now, I don't even play it at all - the average playerbase in a day is 2500. Kind of disappointed how this game is a kind of unfinished project for years. Will you really be excited to see 1.0? What will be the difference from now.. It's gonna be the same with an fps buff, helicopters, slightly better graphics, slightly better mechanics.

This is kind of disappointing to me.

Disappointments are created by expectations. Maybe you had unrealistic expectations and should be disappointed at yourself. By now it should be well known that 1.0 will be a lot different from what the game is at this moment and, at some time during development, we will see the pace of changes picking up. There is no real way of judging the end product based on what it is now. Let alone what the modding community may add to the game and gameplay. And yes, maybe we should be jealous of the new players that will first see and play this game after official release without being "spoiled or bored" by playing it to death in the development phase. Can you imagine the adventure they will have trying to come to grips with all that's in the game?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Killawife said:

Yes they do, but whining about it won't change it. Neither will making comparisons that aren't exactly correct. I've played the game since its release to Early access and has followed its development closely. Saying that its not playable is wrong. Saying that it hasn't evolved is wrong. Saying that its never going to be finished is most likely wrong as well. Saying that time goals set haven't been met is however correct. But so far its not really relevant. Its just one more thing to bash. If you like this game, stop doing it.

I'm not part of the group that says "Omg the devs abandoned the game." or the notorious "See you guys in the DayZ SA Beta in 2072!". But I do see where the devs have made mistakes. And I'm not whining as whining is complaining about a problem with no suggestions on how to fix it. I have talked about how I think they should go about talking with the community.

Just in case: "I remember being able to hop on the forums a couple months ago and see some neat shit the devs were working on (not status report. Just normal shares and pics from devs' twitter) but now the dev tracker is dry as hell. It's a shame because I'd much rather daily twitter feed and leaks than a biweekly status report that is 50% filled with community shoutouts."

And as far as giving release dates, I don't think they should give any dates at all. I'd rather see the devs over use the Soontm than see them give out date after date that is never right.

Edited by SFRGaming

No but does anyone else dislike the kind of loot lottery involved in finding vehicle parts? It would be cool if there was some sort of structure to it other than having to rely on RNG and doing the same thing over and over (searching a million shacks).

I've had enough fun with DayZ so that it couldn't possibly be a disappointment. Everything from now on is just icing to me.

• Like 1

1100 hours in one year and a couple months on mine and 534 hours on my kids account for $60 total works out to $0.04/hour.

Hard to be disappointed with that kind of entertainment value these days. 

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:01 AM, QUAZIMOFO said:

That's exactly it.  DayZ is like one of those luxury condos people in my town buy based solely on the location, the floor plan and other marketing materials.  Then the construction gets delayed by months.  Eventually they let you move in, even though it's not finished.  And each month they keep going on about the pool and the fitness center and all the other fantastic amenities, even though the hot water and electrical don't work.