Sign in to follow this  
Mjones (DayZ)

Pu Scope on the sawn off mosin

Can I suggest that the sawn off mosin keep the PU scope attachment.

Although it is sawn off, anatomically it can still accept the scope attachment.

Doing this will add more utility and options because it will functions as a "fit in the pack" mid ranged scoped pistol/rifle - much like the Longhorn. 

No one actually uses the sawn off mosin at it's current state. Because it does not have a front sight and coupled with it's slow fire rate, it's a disaster at any range.

Lets make it happen Devs

Thank you

Edited by Mjones (DayZ)
spell check
  • Like 1

if this works in real life than definitely yes, however, I do not know enough about rifles to say for sure the scope would still be accurate with a sawn of barrel

if this is the case then yes please add it, however it should be less precise than a normal mosin for balancing reasons (otherwise everyone will use a sawn of mossin with PU instead of a normal mosin)

• Like 1

I think a sawn off Mosin - as used and made popular by the Cossacks - is really a heavy duty horse pistol.
the range and accuracy is minimal - also you wouldn't want to have your face anywhere near the back end when you pulled the trigger 
But as someone said:
"If you want to put a hole the size of a fist in the guy's chest AND set fire to his clothes at the same time - an Obrez is what you need"

9ktoax.jpg

2 hours ago, Mjones (DayZ) said:

No one actually uses the sawn off mosin at it's current state. Because it does not have a front sight and coupled with it's slow fire rate, it's a disaster at any range.

I use it. Is fun.

Yes, realistically sawing off the barrel does not affect the PU mount. But realistically people would not be running around with sawed-off and scoped Mosin hackjobs. The only reason people historically sawed rifles down is to more easily conceal them, not for a "pocket sniper". In this case they are restricting a specific action for more authentic big picture.

Saw off the barrel like in game would drop energy to 7,62x39 levels and the "zeroing" would no longer correspond. Also without a stock it will be bothersome to maintain the proper eye relief, so, hard to see through the scope, small tunnel image, and holding it close, ~3 inches from eye, recoil might whack you in the face. All not a factor in the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

I use it. Is fun.

Okay. Barely anyone uses it

Yes, realistically sawing off the barrel does not affect the PU mount. But realistically people would not be running around with sawed-off and scoped Mosin hackjobs. The only reason people historically sawed rifles down is to more easily conceal them, not for a "pocket sniper". In this case they are restricting a specific action for more authentic big picture.

If we are talking about realistic aspect of it. There are many examples of sawn off scoped mosins. It is true historically people saw the mosin off to use as a concealable pistol, but it is also true people have mounted scopes on their sawn off mosins as well. As for authenticity, I think not restricting a realistic possibility would make the game feel more authentic in a modern sense.

Saw off the barrel like in game would drop energy to 7,62x39 levels and the "zeroing" would no longer correspond. Also without a stock it will be bothersome to maintain the proper eye relief, so, hard to see through the scope, small tunnel image, and holding it close, ~3 inches from eye, recoil might whack you in the face. All not a factor in the game.

Indeed if the barrel length will be  shortened, the trajectory of the round would be off. But as you mentioned above, in a realistic sense. The scope can be zeroed to accommodate the shortened barrel.

As for the cut stock and the eye relief issues.I will not be addressing that because DayZ currently can't represent any of those issues in game.

keep the inputs coming guys, lets be constructive!

Let's make this barely used firearm configuration more useful!

Edited by Mjones (DayZ)

1 hour ago, Mjones (DayZ) said:

Okay. Barely anyone uses it

Yes. But why should anyone use it? These sawed-off rifles are produced by resistance fighters during wartime, and by criminals. Both groups cut them down to more easily hide them from authorities. In the apocalypse there are no authorities to worry about, and since it's still quite weighty and bulky it's not something that is very easily carried or concealed on one's person. Usually these are stored in players' backpacks, and weapons in a backpack shouldn't be easily accessible, making it even less useful. Sporterizing I can see, this not so much. The weapon is supposed to be crappy, so I don't think under-use is a problem. If people are chopping them down in numbers for various in-game advantages, then I'd say there's a problem.

If we are talking about realistic aspect of it. There are many examples of sawn off scoped mosins. It is true historically people saw the mosin off to use as a concealable pistol, but it is also true people have mounted scopes on their sawn off mosins as well. As for authenticity, I think not restricting a realistic possibility would make the game feel more authentic in a modern sense.

All examples produced purely for giggles and fun factor.

Indeed if the barrel length will be  shortened, the trajectory of the round would be off. But as you mentioned above, in a realistic sense. The scope can be zeroed to accommodate the shortened barrel.

Yes, but only at one distance, although it may not matter given the effective range.

As for the cut stock and the eye relief issues.I will not be addressing that because DayZ currently can't represent any of those issues in game.

That's why I'm opposed. I see many reasons against chopping it in real life and many reasons to chop it in game. Since its flaws won't be represented they should leave this option out. 

If they decide to add in those realistic negatives then I would have no problem with the option... but they won't, because if they added all the drawbacks it would still suck and just like now, most players would not use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

Well, other than the fact that the game can't represent your concerns. There are really no issues with this configuration.
In a game play perspective, I don't see any cons adding a scope to the sawn off.

6 minutes ago, Mjones (DayZ) said:

Well, other than the fact that the game can't represent your concerns. There are really no issues with this configuration.
In a game play perspective, I don't see any cons adding a scope to the sawn off.

There are no real gameplay cons, only authenticity and/or realism. But the exact opposite is true as well.

Just for fun, checking around - An Obrez owner on youtube says when he starts firing the people on both side of him leave the range - he can only fire about 5 rounds because after the first five the over-pressure on his sinuses is so bad he begins to get headaches.

A blog comment - " We're talking about dumping half of the powder charge. The Obrez wasn't the most fun-to-fire piece ever, and a substantial reduction in powder charge is necessary to keep it from flying out of your grasp when triggered. Even a half-charge 7.62 x 54 cartridge is more than stout enough to put a hole clear through somebody (along lots of powder burns) at typical obrez ranges of <10 feet. In use the obrez was a very close range weapon. "

• Like 1