Sign in to follow this  
Rags!

Military Item Spawning has too many useless items

I recently started playing DayZ a little more, anticipating the .60 update launching in late October 2018. So excited. I can practically taste it. Tastes like frames per second. So raspberry. Tart. Just how I like 'em.

I've been spending a lot of time around the NWAF as it is the end point of my runs I take from Berezino, Gorka, Stary and Novy, Kabanino, Vybor, and ending there. Because I'm a murderous psychopath from what I'm told. That said, I've become somewhat of an expert in the area of tent interiors and the objects within. One might even say a connoisseur. That's Japanese. Mazel tov. I have noticed a couple things...firstly, items spawning in front of my face, which is actually much more of a good thing to see than a bad thing to see. I love seeing items spawn. Like it confirms that just because somebody else was in a whole town before I was, I might actually find something useful. Take that, ISIS.

C9ZmREv.gif

But there's also something else I noticed. 

FN FAL stocks. 

Everywhere. 

EVERYWHERE. On the floor, on the ground, on the dog, on the couch, everywhere. Motherfuzucking FAL stocks. Everywhere. 

Not just that, but VSS magazines, SVD magazines, VSS ammo boxes and piles...basically, these places are spawning a seemingly excessive amount of these practically useless items. 

uIYrSZ4.jpg?1

Before you start typing your angry comments about how I don't understand things, I get it that:

1) The loot system isn't finished. 
2) Statistically there is only 1 FAL for every 4,592,656 players, so nobody will ever pick them up so they don't cycle out of the loot spawns as fast.
3) Statistically there is only 1 VSS for every 3,495, 992 players, so nobody will ever pick them up so they don't cycle out of the loot spawns as fast.
4) I do not expect every tent to look like an Indian wedding reception three minutes before the doors open for partygoers, full of every goody I could possibly carry.
5) Guacamole takes money to make, so stop complaining that it's not free when you go to Chipotle. They're a business. They can't just give you people guacamole. You think they just grow avocados on the roof? Hell no.

But when tents consistently have four shotguns or three AK's, of four FAL stocks, or three boxes of ammunition that only 1 out of every 562 players will actually use, it does a few things. 

1) Devalues high risk locations like the NWAF and other military spawn locations.
2) Reduces the amount of usable items in those spawns, which means that stagnant loot stays there longer untouched. Thus the VSS ammo box pileups.
3) It encourages players to go on wild goose chases for helicopters where VSS's and SVD's and FAL's spawn. Helicopter hunting sucks. Balls. Big ol' horse balls. Big 'uns. Like grapefruit sized. 
4) Give players who have these weapons an excessively easy way to procure ammunition for their deadly deadly deadly weapons. 

I understand also that since the loot system isn't finished, it will have changes in the future. This may not be an issue later on. I hope not. But I'm vocalizing my concerns since...that's what this website is for. Apart from all the dank memes, of course. What I would like to see is to have limits on how many of certain types of items can spawn within certain proximity to one another, or to make attachments for extremely rare weapons that don't even spawn in these places to have extremely low chances of spawning. Also, perhaps the respawning/despawning rates of these items could be tweaked so that magazines and weapons and other items will last longer or shorter or have differing windows on when they could be found. For instance, what if the SMERSH vest spawned rarely and was only in the world for ten or fifteen minutes before despawning again, giving players a small window in which to pick it up? 

Then there's, of course, the idea that you only need ONE Kalashnikov so you'll only pick up one, but every mag and pile of ammo you'll take with you because weight isn't a thing yet and you might as well get it all before somebody else does. So that obviously has a dynamic on the rate that weapons and their magazines and ammo lasts. And this isn't a post made because I'm getting dunked on consistently by people with these super rare high power rifles. I can't recall the last time I ever saw or heard one. I'm a little merfed though that I spend so much time in this high risk areas and it's full of items that are basically useless to not just me, but everybody. Because the items that you need to use the ones in the tents spawn a couple counties over. You know. Possum country. And let's be frank...why would there be such an emphasis placed on boxes of VSS ammo when the VSS is rarer than bottled unicorn farts?

Just a thought.

Call your mother. She misses you. 

#MakeNWAFGreatAgain

Edited by Rags (DayZ)
Keep on trustin' Jesus
  • Like 7

What tebnbits posted sums everything i was going to say, in one video.

8 hours ago, Rags! said:

2) Reduces the amount of usable items in those spawns, which means that stagnant loot stays there longer untouched. Thus the VSS ammo box pileups.
3) It encourages players to go on wild goose chases for helicopters where VSS's and SVD's and FAL's spawn. Helicopter hunting sucks. Balls. Big ol' horse balls. Big 'uns. Like grapefruit sized. 

I see where you are coming from. However, you are naming an old mechanic.

All loot (even loot that is untouched in its spawn) will refresh (get replaced) in 30 minutes to an hour. Pileups are nonexistent now.

On 03/04/2016 at 4:38 AM, Rags! said:

2) Statistically there is only 1 FAL for every 4,592,656 players, so nobody will ever pick them up so they don't cycle out of the loot spawns as fast.

That's an interesting statistic
You are saying that on 114,816 full 40/40 servers there can be only ONE FAL. 

I guess if those 114 thousand  servers aren't full, it would take even more servers for that 1 FAL to turn up ?.. if the average (last time I checked) is 8-13 players per server, you going to need at least 353 thousand servers for just 1 player to find that 1 FAL
That sure is a lot of hopping.

Tell me how you worked out your stats exactly - I'm interested in that math.

change subject :Here's a story about the Spanish Civil War - where a brigade was fighting to the death in hilltop trenches through days of raids and counter-attacks. They were having a tough time and they sent a field phone emergency request for "more grenades" - they said "we need a truckload of grenades NOW, as many as you can get"
About an hour later they got three trucks full of "Grenadines" (that's a kind of fruit, ya know) - it's the same word in Spanish as "grenade" and some quartermaster had made a big effort to help the heroic guys by giving them what they wanted.
That's how the military works (right?). you'll find a crate of ammo but no mags - the mags are some other place, maybe miles away.; You find a stockpile of brand new Fal Stocks, but no guns. that's normal. The FALs went someplace else for unpacking and stripping and distribution, but then zombies ate the quartermaster. ...   In an emergency or in an apocalypse that kind of stuff happens all the time - we know because it happens in normal times too - you have no new boots but the next unit has 3 shitloads. In reality a helicopter crash should have 2000 bandages and bloodbags and nothing else - or maybe 2 tons of bottled water, or 60000 9v batteries.. ya know.. so think yourself lucky you get a mixture of strange stuff.. some of it is even useful. I guess all those FAL stocks were left lying around because no one wanted them?  Stuff like that happens a lot IRL when folk are looting.

Suppose YOU needed a FAL stock - you are desperate for a FAL stock.. so now do you really only want one on a quarter of a million servers? There has to be some (pretty large) variation-scatter effect whatever you are looking for. If you already have it you find three, or ten - that's life. If you don't have it you cant find it anywhere - that's life. Just one of each "useful" item in any location would be crazy. One of each item for every player who wanted that item would also be crazy..
Write it off to realism; It would be mega-boring to make a fast tour of "high loot" places and find one pristine example of each item exactly as you want it, there waiting for you.
Then you'd be all dressed up with no place to go.

just saying

p.S if there really was only 1 FAL for 4,592,656 players - I guess it would get picked up pretty damned fast, ..heh..   :)

Edited by pilgrim*

Pilgrim, your inability to grasp basic sarcasm and other socio-cultural phenomena is astounding.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Pilgrim, your inability to grasp basic sarcasm and other socio-cultural phenomena is astounding.

Thanks dude!
I suppose there could be something moving around alive down there in the murky depths of your mind
but anything that floats to the top looks like it's probably dead

xx

On 03/04/2016 at 4:38 AM, Rags! said:

Before you start typing your angry comments about how I don't understand things

No, I understand everything

I really like the gif animation of that guy with the shakes who keeps thinking he can see a hedgehog

C9ZmREv.gif

xx

Edited by pilgrim*

22 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I suppose there could be something moving around alive down there in the murky depths of your mind
but anything that floats to the top looks like it's probably dead

Holy personality disorder, Batman.

I'll let you in on a secret, mate.

On 03/04/2016 at 10:38 PM, Rags! said:

1 FAL for every 4,592,656

These numbers were a joke. No, really. Humour. We all spotted it immediately. Sorry to burst your bubble of righteous indignation. =/

49 minutes ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Holy personality disorder, Batman. ..//.. Sorry to burst your bubble

Glad to see you're still around and trying to keep up, Dick - you don't mind if I call you Dick, do you?
      So what did you think of the Hedgehog ?

If you have time, you should check on the difference between "Sarcasm" and "Irony" - Irony cannot be detected in text.  And now you know something you didn't know until after you decided to read this line.
-unless you already studied for your Semiotics 101.

Sorry I can't stop to chat, Dick (Richard, whatever)  - I'm getting ready for a seminar on Petrarch. He was the first guy who went up Mont Ventoux (without needing to: a first Tourist and also an early Humanist, nice combo!) - so he has his place in the history of the Tour de France, for sure, as well as in the poetry of the 14th Century CE. For me this is killing two birds with one stone - Road cycling ( a 1570 m ascent over 21,5 km .. a decent run ) plus a few drinks in the afternoon and a hot discussion of the linguistic foundations of the Italian Renaissance. And then probably sex.

So until I get back, stay with the hedgehog and  keep your eye on it. I'd hate him to be lonely

xx P.

Git Guud, @Rags!.  I savor every bit of should-be-rare ammo and every fully automatic clip of magazines that I find for my vast stockpile of locally-sourced, organic, snipe-cannons.  Why, whenever I find multiples of "useless" items, I simply go and set up yet another bitchin-ass camp so some hapless bastard can run across my high-density loot suppositories.

I am street-educated.  I have all the loot, I have the best loot.  In return, I only ask that you help me cook all my fish?  That's not so much to ask, is it? That's right, I'm also a job-creator.  

Spoiler

the-donald-songified.jpg 

Tump'd

Edited by emuthreat
Should have read the whole thread first, this is just sad now.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Hidden Content
Tump'd

YO - My EmUU !!  ..THATS what this game NEED - more Pink Ghetto Blasters as DO the crazy sound so Him Donald homies get DOWN - Real, like they should be spawn wild free with ALL you player-man dudes And the jive zombies need them just so bad, I'm saying at least 2 each.

Now you see it now you don't

Edited by pilgrim*
Keep watching the hedgehog

6 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

hot discussion of the linguistic foundations of the Italian Renaissance.

How hot is it pilgrim? 

6 hours ago, Sandman94 said:

How hot is it pilgrim? 

depends on the girls, really.

Petrarch was in love with the same woman most of his life and described her hair, skin, the way she walked, (ya know) for years, but never got off with her, and if you share a little understanding - romance, right?  -  It can't do you any harm. There are girls who let their hair down go for the Renaissance more than they go for "Werewolf Vampire Shape Changer Dominant Explicit Adult" novels..And they are not quieter or more hung up and discreet and shy than any other human being you might share a passionate moment with - I swear -  Also Lady Cyclists are highly deserving of respect too, and more power too them;  

Do yourself a favor, check John Donne "The Sun Rising" - one poem, only a page long, - at a good moment a mention can change your evening; it's about waking up in bed with your girl (not 'erotic' but real "intimate" ) and in the right circumstances a couple of lines of that on a card or an e-mail won't do you Any Harm... 

And that's the wonder of life, aint it?
No point you going on how you can "eject a clip from an AK while you're lying flat but you cant do that with an M4" when you see that lack of interest in her eyes and she starts looking vague and checking out the other guys - right?

You think this is the only forum i hang out on ? - this place here is about Survivors, among other things
so Survive.

don't limit yourself - everything is true

Edited by pilgrim*
= Play The Game =
  • Like 1

Play nice people, or I'll make you stop alltogether.

On 10/04/2016 at 3:17 PM, pilgrim* said:

Irony cannot be detected in text.  And now you know something you didn't know until after you decided to read this line.

This is not true. I'll concede that irony can be more difficult to detect in a text-only environment if you're inexperienced with the culture in question.

I'm getting ready for a seminar on Petrarch.

Good for you. I regret to point out that your study of history, while laudable, is irrelevant to the discussion.

Road cycling ( a 1570 m ascent over 21,5 km .. a decent run ) plus a few drinks in the afternoon and a hot discussion of the linguistic foundations of the Italian Renaissance. And then probably sex.

I am unimpressed by your stories of physical prowess, academia, and mating.

You're doing an excellent job living out the definition of a pedant. Perhaps it's confirmation bias, but nearly every post of yours I stumble across on these forums involves you shitting on some person or concept. I don't see many positive contributions from your end. Unless you're living as an isolationist, which does not appear to be the case, all the learning in the world pales next to the most important lesson of all: how to get along with people.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

nearly every post of yours I stumble across on these forums involves you shitting on some person or concept

On 09/04/2016 at 8:34 PM, Funkmaster Rick said:

On 10/04/2016 at 8:23 PM, Funkmaster Rick said:

personality disorder, //  Sorry to burst your bubble of righteous indignation. =/

Yo Funkmaster !  - your inability to grasp irony does not astound me.   BUT..

I tnink you just missed the joke Funky - why be the skank on a humorous thread if you dont' get it?  I'm following the OPs lead, that seems fair play ?

My main point is - how are you getting on with the hedgehog ?

Can you see it ?

C9ZmREv.gif

now let's calm down. Give us your contributions to the thread.
You say the OP is humor (OK, we all got it),  you don't like statistics (OK my researched and accurate statistics are around on this forum), you aren't interested in literature or the correct use of the written word (OK,that's your choice -  I like the English language - you know DayZ has books in it?)  - that's all fine.  It would be great if you made a contribution to the thread, and I don't understand why you are chasing me around. My sex life is really OK already, man.. We can be friends but that's ALL.

- unless maybe you're interested in real game statistics or you're a lady cyclist, hmm ?

:)

173.199.94.27:2302   <<  = THE HELPY HELPERS: FOR MERCY OR MAYHEM  >>
Play on an honest public hive server.   Enjoy

Exemplum de simia, quae, quando plus ascendit, plus apparent posteriora eius -- Saint Bonaventure, 13th CE

xx PILGRIM

Edited by pilgrim*