steross1981 (DayZ)

Any sign of Vive / Rift support?

I highly doubt it will be added and expecting VR support when all the other features aren't even in is just sad to say the least.

Dont the VR technologies require a minimum of 60 FPS at all times?  This could be a problem for a massive gameworld such as DayZ.

I am still gonna wait 20 years for the real Matrix to come out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DemonGroover said:

Dont the VR technologies require a minimum of 60 FPS at all times?  This could be a problem for a massive gameworld such as DayZ.

I am still gonna wait 20 years for the real Matrix to come out.

I'm pretty sure that they actually need 90FPS. At least that's what I read about the Oculus.

21 hours ago, LordBlackwolf said:

Check the article below to read about how Valve's Alex Vlachos took and used adaptive technology to make VR work on a geforce gtx 680.

http://hothardware.com/manages-to-wring-a-decent-vr-experience-out-of-a-4-year-old-geforce-gtx-680-in-gdc-demonews/valve-

According to the article, Valve is making this adaptive technology open source. GG Valve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

According to the article, Valve is making this adaptive technology open source. GG Valve.

I can't wait to see it put to good use. People with high-end gpus shouldn't be the only ones enjoying VR technology.

Hopefully they make it i5 ability or above for most things. Then we can get rid of old dinosaur cpu's and systems.

Since new technology comes out, should we be able to retrofit it to a 1930 vehicle?

or

should we be able to retrofit top end technology for a $45000 vehicle to a $20000 one. There does come a time in our lives to upgrade, and stop being so cheap at life!!!

• Like 1

DayZ (and Arma3) should support VR, absolutely!

We have no tracking shots, as in other, scripted FPS titles. This is pefect for VR.

No headbob, be able to move your head at any time (=while animations run) this would massively reduce the motion sickness. Sure you need a very powerful PC and it wouldn't be possible with the current enigne, but with all the new tech, improvements, we could see this happen on day.

Maybe not a high prority right now, but in beta or shortly after 1.0 would be great. Let's see what the future brings :-)

On 4/4/2016 at 2:59 AM, c4p said:

DayZ (and Arma3) should support VR, absolutely!

We have no tracking shots, as in other, scripted FPS titles. This is pefect for VR.

No headbob, be able to move your head at any time (=while animations run) this would massively reduce the motion sickness. Sure you need a very powerful PC and it wouldn't be possible with the current enigne, but with all the new tech, improvements, we could see this happen on day.

Maybe not a high prority right now, but in beta or shortly after 1.0 would be great. Let's see what the future brings :-)

I am not sure perfect for it is exactly right lol I got my vive last night and i spent quite a few hours playing with arma 3 using existing work arounds to get it to work with vr (not at all hard really) but to keep the 90 frames required to keep yourself from blowing chunks i had to really down grade the graphics in particular view distance..

I have a i74790k a single titan x and 16 gig of 2400mhz ram so my system is no slouch and end result of holding the 90 fps( which really only is a big problem when inside a vehicle..) the amount i had to turn down view distance makes open areas well quite badly nerfed and looked well un natural due to seeing to short a distance ( i made this far more natural by making it a misty day so then the view drop off seemed right to my eyes/brain.

But i will say in  built up areas etc it does work rather nicely with the vive(again if you have the pc muscle to drive it over 90 on a 2 display set up (each eye has own screen).

EDIT i havent and wouldnt even bother to try with Dayz as it stands as honestly less than 90 specially in a fps style movement (which is what makes most people very VERY ill even when it is a 90 , hence why so far purpose built fps games use various tricks to avoid this such as having you stand on a moving ship in hover junkers this allows you to feel grounded to the ship and not feel motion sick,or have you look out through a large helmut so again you feel grounded in your space suit.)

Edited by soulfirez
added info

So far it does not look like DayZ will support VR. As with just about anything else though, if this changes down the line, we'll make sure to let you all know.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, soulfirez said:

I am not sure perfect for it is exactly right lol I got my vive last night and i spent quite a few hours playing with arma 3 using existing work arounds to get it to work with vr (not at all hard really) but to keep the 90 frames required to keep yourself from blowing chunks i had to really down grade the graphics in particular view distance..

I have a i74790k a single titan x and 16 gig of 2400mhz ram so my system is no slouch and end result of holding the 90 fps( which really only is a big problem when inside a vehicle..) the amount i had to turn down view distance makes open areas well quite badly nerfed and looked well un natural due to seeing to short a distance ( i made this far more natural by making it a misty day so then the view drop off seemed right to my eyes/brain.

But i will say in  built up areas etc it does work rather nicely with the vive(again if you have the pc muscle to drive it over 90 on a 2 display set up (each eye has own screen).

EDIT i havent and wouldnt even bother to try with Dayz as it stands as honestly less than 90 specially in a fps style movement (which is what makes most people very VERY ill even when it is a 90 , hence why so far purpose built fps games use various tricks to avoid this such as having you stand on a moving ship in hover junkers this allows you to feel grounded to the ship and not feel motion sick,or have you look out through a large helmut so again you feel grounded in your space suit.)

lucky man! I want a vive, too. But I will wait until later this year I think :-)

Yes ofc you need much power. I guess for DayZ1.0 (if it happens) or other ambitious games you'll need an hexacore, 2 gtx1080/490x (one gpu for each eye), ddr4(16gb) and ofc a ssd - minimum.

9 minutes ago, SMoss said:

So far it does not look like DayZ will support VR. As with just about anything else though, if this changes down the line, we'll make sure to let you all know.

Yes, I can understand this.

I just hope we will see it one time. I mean it's a risk, because nobody knows how many VR devices will be sold. But if there are no or just very little ambitious games, which use the tech, "nobody" will buy it. I for one haven't preordered one, because I don't know if good games will be released. Would I know that we will get VR-support for DayZ, Arma3, AC, BF, SC, and what-not, I would have preordered one already. The only newer shooter which was announced for VR is Battlefront, I think...

But thanks for your answer so far, SMoss :-)

• Like 1

for VR you need 1. atleast 90 fps

2. 90 fps per eye, which means 120fps in total

3. dont expect 120 fps for DayZ anytime soon

4. Dont lose hope :p

Also Survival Games sparked by the creation of Minecraft will keep growing, it will be like jeans never lose popularity

simply because its all game genres in one (which is why survival games take extremely long to make)

so expect full body controlled VR survival games in the future, or maybe a complete DayZ SA overhaul or full body mod

Edited by thefriendlydutchman
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, c4p said:

I just hope we will see it one time. I mean it's a risk, because nobody knows how many VR devices will be sold. But if there are no or just very little ambitious games, which use the tech, "nobody" will buy it. I for one haven't preordered one, because I don't know if good games will be released. Would I know that we will get VR-support for DayZ, Arma3, AC, BF, SC, and what-not, I would have preordered one already. The only newer shooter which was announced for VR is Battlefront, I think...

But thanks for your answer so far, SMoss :-)

Oh there are some great games for it already i am so addicted to hover junkers... Except it makes my legs hurt big time as you spend alot of the game dashing back and fourth and crouching hiding behind junk barriers you have placed on your ship firing around corners and popping up to blast and duck back down etc....

Warning if you have never tried VR be prepared for the resolution... when i put mine on i was SO SO SO let down for about 30 seconds... you can see the pixels you can see the screen door effect , BUT after 30 seconds or so your brain/eyes seem to filter out seeing the pixels and bam suddenly your dont see any screen door effect your there, i mean THERE, i have already dropped my controllers a few times as i have tried to place down weapons in game on tables in game which obviously aren't actually there so i am dropping my controller lol.

Added note keep pets away as having something touch you while your in game ( specially tense games) will scare crap out of you .. second added note resist the urge to run... I am telling you there is no immersion like VR and when something leaps at you the urge to bolt hits home strong and i watched a mates missus plow into the wall on the brookhaven  experiment (scary game will have your heart racing specially the first time you try it.)

• Like 1

Aside from that, this might be off-topic and all, but which title(s) gave you guys the best VR experience?

The technology is just released so it might be  a while before its mainstream. Maybe in Dayz SA 2 early access 2022? It does seem awesome and I'm actually thinking of buying an oculus when the hype has cooled for a bit(Im actually waiting for teh pr0n but shhh!).

• Like 1

To be honest I think room scale would add a whole new dimension to the combat. It would be less like people chasing in each other in frantic circles as the movement controls would be much easier in some aspects. I'm glad to see such a discussion has arisen from my post. I nearly gave up after seeing the first comment.

Also will the new graphics cards being released make any difference to the viability of the idea? I heared they have HBM2 which is a big deal or something? and also wont the next gen of processors get us closer to the goal as well as a 2nd or 3rd gen of HMD which may be capable of running better games at lower requirements

Thanks Guys :)

Edited by steross1981 (DayZ)

On 7.4.2016 at 3:08 PM, SMoss said:

Aside from that, this might be off-topic and all, but which title(s) gave you guys the best VR experience?

Metro 2033 series
by Far

• Like 1

I can't wait to pick mine up. It'll be the latter half of the year but I'm more or less ready for it - Just need a second 390x or one of those fancy new Polaris cards, but their no major obstacles because the old gen cards will be much cheaper by September.

Has anyone tried multiple headsets for comparison?

What are comfort levels like on wearing the Vive vs. others? Is it heavy, does the padding sweat? Is sound coming from your PC or built in speakers? Any nausea or period of adjustment? 

On 07/04/2016 at 7:06 PM, steross1981 (DayZ) said:

To be honest I think room scale would add a whole new dimension to the combat. It would be less like people chasing in each other in frantic circles as the movement controls would be much easier in some aspects. I'm glad to see such a discussion has arisen from my post. I nearly gave up after seeing the first comment.

Also will the new graphics cards being released make any difference to the viability of the idea? I heared they have HBM2 which is a big deal or something? and also wont the next gen of processors get us closer to the goal as well as a 2nd or 3rd gen of HMD which may be capable of running better games at lower requirements

Thanks Guys :)

HBM is going to make the biggest difference at high resolutions because of the bandwidth it can put out so expect this to be very important at 4k, maybe/probably even 1440p in some games. In other words, it all depends on how many objects the card has to render (VRAM) and how fast it can do it (Bandwidth). Room Scale sounds like something that would require CPU usage past the initial rendering. But that's just an assumption as I've read or heard very little about it. The next gen processors are definitely decent, but don't go selling your old AMDs and Intels yet, especially the former, as the new DX12 and Vulkan API's are promising to finally utilise all those extra cores we've been missing in games which should make for an interesting CPU and GPU market in the coming twelve months.  

Edited by Konfucious K

On 7.4.2016 at 9:36 AM, soulfirez said:

Oh there are some great games for it already i am so addicted to hover junkers... Except it makes my legs hurt big time as you spend alot of the game dashing back and fourth and crouching hiding behind junk barriers you have placed on your ship firing around corners and popping up to blast and duck back down etc....

Warning if you have never tried VR be prepared for the resolution... when i put mine on i was SO SO SO let down for about 30 seconds... you can see the pixels you can see the screen door effect , BUT after 30 seconds or so your brain/eyes seem to filter out seeing the pixels and bam suddenly your dont see any screen door effect your there, i mean THERE, i have already dropped my controllers a few times as i have tried to place down weapons in game on tables in game which obviously aren't actually there so i am dropping my controller lol.

Added note keep pets away as having something touch you while your in game ( specially tense games) will scare crap out of you .. second added note resist the urge to run... I am telling you there is no immersion like VR and when something leaps at you the urge to bolt hits home strong and i watched a mates missus plow into the wall on the brookhaven  experiment (scary game will have your heart racing specially the first time you try it.)

sounds awesome!! :-D

I have some question if it's ok.

Do you have to install the base stations even if you want to sit down and play a cockpit sim like space or racing simulations? I guess yes, right? The bases are tracking both the headset and the controllers, right?

How many USB connections to the PC are needed? How long are the USB and HDMI cables?

Can you wear normal headphones/headsets? I have the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro and would like to use it with an HMD.

Is the front camera well enough to recognize the keys on the keyboard?

I browsed though the steam store and saw some games are for Rift only, like Subnautica. Are they working with the Vive too, but not officially supported? You know something about this?

Thanks mate! :-)

edit: sry for off topic. I though maybe others are interessted too

Edited by c4p

I'd rather have jive support. pgi3X6L.png?1

• Like 1

Hey all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this!  Oculus Rift pre-orders are now being delivered. I received mine this morning! 

Anyone know what plans/roadmap there are for Rift support in DayZ?  I'm stupidly excited about the potential immersion.

Cheeyahs!
Weasel.