S3V3N

Dealing with the frustration

I've never understood the need for using "with" in that paragraph.. and at the end there "game functioning" would sound better as "Game functionality."

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

Even the grammar is Alpha.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, S3V3N said:

Dayz does have a budget, right? And it is in early funding. And it is an Alpha. Disregardless of how you want to call it, this is Prototype-Funding. Though admittedly, Bohemia didn't have to go this way. They had the funds to do a closed development. Yet, they decided this was good idea for all of us. And now here we sit each month, justifying to each other yet another delay. No, Dayz is not a slacker team - because slackers effectively work as little as possible to avoid any stress. Dayz devs work a hell of a lot too much for the kind of stress they get. Obviously, mistakes were made in the past and all we're asking for is that there'll be a change in strategy and information after the renderer-update. Things were announced, now they just need to happen.

No - it is not in "early funding" - Bohemia Interactive did not go to Early Access to fund DayZ's development. Our budget is not reflected based upon sales, and the company did not need sales to fund it.

Early Access was, is, and will remain an opportunity for people to get access to the title while it is being developed - at a discounted price that slowly increases as we move towards the release game, and release price. 
That is it. Steam sales, and DayZ's budget are not married in any way.

• Like 1

This is why i admire the dayz team, they actually care enough to respond to us on a Sunday :) i have a lot of faith in you guys.

I also have a quick question, how many people are assigned to the dayz team? i know that you have around 160 employees in total.

8 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

No - it is not in "early funding" - Bohemia Interactive did not go to Early Access to fund DayZ's development. Our budget is not reflected based upon sales, and the company did not need sales to fund it.

Early Access was, is, and will remain an opportunity for people to get access to the title while it is being developed - at a discounted price that slowly increases as we move towards the release game, and release price. 

I think many (including myself) have always assumed that it was the Early Access revenue that resulted in the scope of Standalone being expanded to include the development of Enfusion (and all the time and resources that would need).   If that's not the case, what led to the decision to embiggen DayZ's development after it was already under way?

Edit: I'm not presuming that it's my right to know the answer to this.  I'm just curious and hope it's something you can share.

Edited by plasteek
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, plasteek said:

I think many (including myself) have always assumed that it was the Early Access revenue that resulted in the scope of Standalone being expanded to include the development of Enfusion (and all the time and resources that would need).   If that's not the case, what led to the decision to embiggen DayZ's development after it was already under way?

I was under this impression too. I've been told exactly this multiple times by community members I trust and have been a part of this community much longer than I have. I'm curious about the answer to your question as well.

So they overshoot enfusion segments release by 1 month. Should have been end of February if you all remember.

So all of you kiddies that believe alpha sign justifies that obviously never did serious work in your life. 

Unless you'te building an olimpic stadium or a rocket to mars, overshooting a part of your project by a month means you're in some deep doo doo

12 minutes ago, Calvin Candie said:

So they overshoot enfusion segments release by 1 month. Should have been end of February if you all remember.

So all of you kiddies that believe alpha sign justifies that obviously never did serious work in your life. 

Unless you'te building an olimpic stadium or a rocket to mars, overshooting a part of your project by a month means you're in some deep doo doo

Hello there

Fristly, nothing was "promised" for February rather it was hoped to be able to complete that task around that date if no blockers arose.

They did.

Secondly, lay off the lazy "kiddies" type remarks.

As to "serious work", you have no idea what we have done in our professional lives.

Lastly, a month in dev terms is nothing. Overshoots are relative to the industry and sub aspects of that field. That said no overshoot *has* happened as nothing was stated about the exact release, rather a projection of an estimate.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Why cant we all just "Hold Tight, Yo".  50a80c742964249a81f22a4df6eeb56b.png

i just wish i was a kiddie again :)

1 hour ago, ColdAtrophy said:

I was under this impression too. I've been told exactly this multiple times by community members I trust and have been a part of this community much longer than I have. I'm curious about the answer to your question as well.

I always understood our money was to help fund and provide support during its early alpha stages. Otherwise i could have waited until beta or release, since my money is not really needed to help fund the project.

you forum people need to stop spreading rumors :)

Hicks refund please? and ill come back and pay the higher price when its completed :) hehe

I need to buy new pens, since i moved my office.

Edited by sneakydude

3 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Hello there

Fristly, nothing was "promised" for February rather it was hoped to be able to complete that task around that date if no blockers arose.

They did.

Secondly, lay off the lazy "kiddies" type remarks.

As to "serious work", you have no idea what we have done in our professional lives.

Lastly, a month in dev terms is nothing. Overshoots are relative to the industry and sub aspects of that field. That said no overshoot *has* happened as nothing was stated about the exact release, rather a projection of an estimate.

Rgd

I'm here because I like the game and want it to succeed.

Orlok, I understand you are on side of the DayZ Dev team. Therefore your 100% biased and unrelenting determination to defend every action or inaction of the Dev team is understandable. Here is your last pearl of wisdom - "No overshoot has happened as nothing was stated about exact release"

Orlok, instead you were " hoping" to release it end of February. Since hope became a big factor in this development, let's all put in a collective prayer. Who cares about 100 broken deadlines and set goals. From now on, we just hope.

How about you and the dev team stop putting out any dates, months or any rough estimates as missing them only makes you look childish. 

No hard facts. Only blablabla

Edited by Calvin Candie

I'd say that pointing out facts is not really defending anyone. 

You will notice that the dev team never states that something will be done on [insert date here]. They give vague estimates because it is in the nature of game development that things go wrong or not according to plans. One would think that people would have learned by now that taking a rough estimate as a definite target date is not really a good idea.

Not giving out any dates on the other hand is an even worse solution as then people would complain that there are no dates being released.

You are free to think what you will of facts, that doesn't mean they stop being facts.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Calvin Candie said:

How about you and the dev team stop putting out any dates, months or any rough estimates as missing them only makes you look childish. 

It doesn't make them look "Childish". How you ended up at that conclusion is beyond my comprehension apparently. 

It simply means that they don't want to publish an update with blockers like they have stated before, therefore they "Miss" what you guys "Think?" is the set release date/time. 

17 minutes ago, Accolyte said:

Not giving out any dates on the other hand is an even worse solution as then people would complain that there are no dates being released.

Exactly. IMO, the dev team is doing fine just the way they are.. Keep up the hard work dev team.

• Like 1

I honestly believe that it could be 4-5 years before we see a full release of the game with the current rate. We've had 3 patches in about 12 months now, And in them patches the game hasn't really progressed a great deal. There is still a lot of fleshing out that needs doing as at the moment there really isn't much to do! I'm sure the devs are doing everything they can to try and speed things up but it certainly does make you wonder if we will ever see a full release.

2 hours ago, Calvin Candie said:

I'm here because I like the game and want it to succeed.

Orlok, I understand you are on side of the DayZ Dev team. Therefore your 100% biased and unrelenting determination to defend every action or inaction of the Dev team is understandable. Here is your last pearl of wisdom - "No overshoot has happened as nothing was stated about exact release"

Orlok, instead you were " hoping" to release it end of February. Since hope became a big factor in this development, let's all put in a collective prayer. Who cares about 100 broken deadlines and set goals. From now on, we just hope.

No hard facts. Only blablabla

Hello there

Im not particularly on *anyone's* "side".

I've been critical of some of the game's direction in the past, myself.

Also, me put out dates? Not I.

Out of the two of us only you are starting to look "childish" to use your phrase.

I like to use facts, I suggest you try it sometime.

Rgds

LoK

Well, we wanted the dev team to start giving us more information where the game is being directed. We know we had major set backs not minor.

1. Game engine, render. Game itself moving to make it stable enough to experimental.

2. Website hacked, moved to BI. (Error top of the message board forums takes you to the BI forums) <---- just saw that tonight.

3. new setup of forums, and support.

This was enough to set back any team.

I hope to see more updates, info from the devs over the next months about the progression. That is all we can ask for now, since development will take awhile yet.

Yes i am frustrated as much as the rest of you, but most of it was because of 1 to 3 and lack of information.

Really how much more information, could the Dev team tell us? it was said, but there wasn't enough information to give us.

Thanks everyone, and especially Mr. Hicks for his video comparison. Lets hope for the best in the next months :) If you could continue giving us some tid bits of information that would help the community.

We do not need a ton, just point form break downs so we know the direction too.

2 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Hello there

Im not particularly on *anyone's* "side".

I've been critical of some of the game's direction in the past, myself.

Also, me put out dates? Not I.

Out of the two of us only you are starting to look "childish" to use your phrase.

I like to use facts, I suggest you try it sometime.

Rgds

LoK

I am not sure why people always think that mods are employee's of gaming companies?? Most times its an unpaid position.

Your opinions are usually your own, and sometimes people take it to heart and believe your words are the companies word.

This is one of the reasons i do not care to mod forums. Its a hard job, when your attacked for every word you speak.

I just dont get it, i guess :(

16 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

That's good to know, thanks for the reminder, or in my case - the info. 

9 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Hello there

Im not particularly on *anyone's* "side"

well, not intending to offend, but your post history speaks an own language. You are of course entitled to it, as a mod in particular. but especially when many good, but critical threads wander to the graveyard because one or two posters made doubtful posts (instead of just removing those), this tends to look like window cleaning as well. It's all fine, it's your boards, your rules, your enforcement, but I think it would not hurt to concede that of course you are inclined to defend the game or the devs respectively. Nothing wrong about it.

18 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Steam sales, and DayZ's budget are not married in any way.

This might be the most crucial snippet of information concerning the DayZ development that I have read since joining EA Alpha (when EA Alpha started)... was/is this clear to everyone?

I mean it's easy to see the HUGE implications of thinking, that the budget would be directly impacted by the 3.000.000 copies sold, which in our minds roughly translates to 60.000.000€ in intake before taxes, fees and shit.

... consider me speechless.

40 minutes ago, Noctoras said:

well, not intending to offend, but your post history speaks an own language. You are of course entitled to it, as a mod in particular. but especially when many good, but critical threads wander to the graveyard because one or two posters made doubtful posts (instead of just removing those), this tends to look like window cleaning as well. It's all fine, it's your boards, your rules, your enforcement, but I think it would not hurt to concede that of course you are inclined to defend the game or the devs respectively. Nothing wrong about it.

OrLoK has put a lot of work in
His main aim and job is to keep the forums reasonably polite and friendly
so he has to make daily judgement calls
He is also a gamer and a fan - in the best sense of the word - of some good stuff online

I feel a little embarrassed if I ever disagree with him because he is 100% a good bloke

He has his opinions, as we all do, otherwise he would not put in the (hundreds of) unpaid hours
But he is very moderate. Deserves praise. Deserves a medal.

And this is why we say = Hail, Mighty OroK =
[ .. and also from FEAR of course ]

:) xx

Edited by pilgrim*

19 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

I can agree that DayZ was never intended to be a crowd funding game and early acces wasnt on the table from the beginning.
However, i remember a certain Mr. Dean Hall (or maybe it was youy Hicks, cant really remember), way back in the day, telling us that the increased revenue from the early acces program, ment that the scope of DayZ got expanded quite abit.
As far as i remember, Enfusion was never an actualy idea from the start, it became that down the line and Enfusion is one of the results of the increased money flow, am i wrong?

I am not saying you are relaying on early acces money to stay afloat or develop the game, it was never like that, but i distinctly remember getting told the development had been broadened alot because of the increased money, hence why you bought the bratislava studio.
Can you confirm that the money made from early acces had no effect on the DayZ development, what so ever? Would Bohemia still have bought the bratislava studio, did they not go early acces?
Im not trying to be an ass, but you cant really dismiss the fact that you got alot more oportunities from the Early Acces revenue, just want to clarify so less people mix things up :)

Edited by byrgesen

All good ... everyone of us has his opinions, some stronger, some don't voice them at all. But an opinion basically means taking a side by sharing an opinion or disagreeing with one. If you dig a BMW because they are sporty cars and I say they have a lot of horsepower I do side with you ;)

1 hour ago, byrgesen said:

I remember a certain Mr. Dean Hall (or maybe it was youy Hicks, cant really remember), way back in the day, telling us that the increased revenue from the early acces program, ment that the scope of DayZ got expanded quite abit.

Exactly. This is how I remember it, too. But it's all such a blur at this point really, and "researching" information on this just to check who - if anyone - is right or wrong about whatever just feels silly.

DayZ didn't need crowd founding but it benefit from that. The game went in early access and because the game sold way more than expected, the scope of the game got expanded. That's what we've been told.