killer2themx

Dayz for Mac!!

You are already able, more or less, to play DayZ on a Mac. You just have to use Bootcamp to install Windows. Also, unless Apple cripples the drivers, Windows runs smoother on Macs than OS X does. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, umberfive said:

You are already able, more or less, to play DayZ on a Mac. You just have to use Bootcamp to install Windows. Also, unless Apple cripples the drivers, Windows runs smoother on Macs than OS X does. 

35d3jp3.gif

So true though.

8 hours ago, umberfive said:

I agree, but the issue is that we have to buy Windows also to play Dayz. And if we ever get a PC in the future, that is another copy of Windows we need to buy. Also, Macs are very capable of running Dayz. Plenty of people do as you are talking about and use Bootcamp, and they run perfectly fine. That being said proves the point that Macs are capable of running Dayz. Our hardware is what is used when we use Bootcamp, not Windows. 

I'd say, that Macs are conditional capable of running games. Or in other words, with some messing of the settings, it is possible to run some games with decent visuals. It is not that the game industry hates Mac users, but they also have to consider the limited hardware aspects. If you play on a PC and the game lags, not from network issues, you can upgrade your PC in most cases. With most Macs you cannot. I really like the design of the iMac. Although AIOs are utter crap in my eyes. I use an iMac at work. It is a good machine and does most things I need it to do. It is an older machine and it will stay like this because I cannot upgrade it. The same goes for the Mac Mini and even for the new Mac Pro, where limited driver support kicks in. You cannot swap out the graphics unit how you want. Even less the cpu and in some newer models the ram. At some point to gain more processing power, you have to buy a new one. And that is what makes Macs expensive.

Another aspect are drivers and the graphics api. I won't say that OpenGL is inferior to DirectX in speed, but it lacks many features. Hopefully Vulcan will change that.

Last year another user tried to start a petition for DayZ on Macs. Never heard from him again. But I signed his petition. 

Heerow You should rename this topic, to something like Dayz/Vulkan!

With the new render i really hope this will be reality soon! I've make the switch from w10 to Linux Mint and this game(the only game i've intresst in) is making me have a partion on my small ssd disk, where i've windows installed!! :p

Edited by zemos (DayZ)

I had a Mac before, I played DayZ and Arma on it. I played it with everything on low and got 10-40 fps. If you don't want a new computer use Bootcamp and if you want to actually have a playable experience just build a PC. 

• Like 1