AciDDreamZ

Map question!

I'm new to Dayz and when I find a map and open it...it opens fine, but does not show my current location. Is this normal or a bug that will not likely ever be fixed? :-/

It's meant to be like that. It's like going abroad and looking at a map you got in a gift shop. It'll tell you where things are but you have to find out where you are first before it makes sense

Well crap!!! lol :-/

Ok, somebody make a gps mod please haha

21 minutes ago, AciDDreamZ said:

Someone probably will :)
In the mean time: DayZDB

Makes it a little easier to learn the map.
By the time modding would allow what you need, you'll know your way around :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AciDDreamZ said:

I think you are in a way cheating yourself out of some typical DAYZ fun, learning the map over a course of many hours is actually fun in my opinion.

I do use the online maps myself but would not like a GPS gizmo in the official game.

• Like 2

I'd do almost everything to re-experience the times when chernarus was new and unknown to me (in the mod). Those were the days!

• Like 2

I hate that I always know where I am these dayz.. Its literally impossible for me to get lost for any real length of time.

1 hour ago, nl said:

I think you are in a way cheating yourself out of some typical DAYZ fun, learning the map over a course of many hours is actually fun in my opinion.

I do use the online maps myself but would not like a GPS gizmo in the official game.

I think it'd be nice to have a shared satellite map on encrypted GPS radios.  That way if you meet a friend, you can give them the passcode for your map, and allow them to see all of your waypoints.

It should of course, be very difficult to get these things working.

1 hour ago, lrishjake said:

I hate that I always know where I am these dayz.. Its literally impossible for me to get lost for any real length of time.

Go across the map at night
Leave your gamma the way it is in daylight.. set off from the coast, go find NWAF, navigate by the stars.
This stuff is fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lrishjake said:

When I came back to DayZ after a long hiatus it was right around the time they started adding all the new towns. I decided right then that I would stop using the map and try to learn to navigate using some visual cues and standard bearing.

i.e. "I know I'm in the Southwest so I'm going to use the sun or constellations to head North to town X."

This way I am always cutting different paths and seeing things from many angles. Stopping using the map when I did was a good component to my anti-DayZ burnout strategy (<very important to me and rarely thought of or discussed by players) and I'm forcing myself to learn all the visual landmarks and topographical cues.

I usually don't have trouble meeting up with people either and taking semi random paths means taking the path less traveled/less KoS'd.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

I prefer to use the online maps, myself. I view them as more a "points of interest" map that you would get in a tourist shop. 

Forgive me if I am wrong, but can't you already make markers on your map and hand it to a friend/loot off a body, with the markers still on it? If so I am surprised that people have not used this to create scavenger hunts.... I might do this on my server sometime. 

2 hours ago, pilgrim * said:

Go across the map at night
Leave your gamma the way it is in daylight.. set off from the coast, go find NWAF, navigate by the stars.
This stuff is fun.

This is really all I have these dayz.. Night.

But the new renderer pics have me slightly worried that the night may be far brighter soon. 

52 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I usually don't have trouble meeting up with people either and taking semi random paths means taking the path less traveled/less KoS'd.

When I was playing in clans and meeting other players constantly... I would always ask them, "where are you?" The common response was, "Im not sure." So then I'd ask, "what can you see around you?"

A few minutes later and I would be telling them where they are and when I would be there to meet them..

Thats how bad it is for me after all these years playing on this map. Even with the new stuff added, I can still pretty much just look at the terrain and know exactly where I am. Its a blessing and curse. A blessing in that Im never lost, and can always help others quickly. A curse in that the map itself, feels like Ive lived there my whole life and nothing is new. Sort of like the small town I grew up in IRL. I know it like the back of my hand, and at times that gets fairly boring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lrishjake said:

This is really all I have these dayz.. Night.

But the new renderer pics have me slightly worried that the night may be far brighter soon. 

When I was playing in clans and meeting other players constantly... I would always ask them, "where are you?" The common response was, "Im not sure." So then I'd ask, "what can you see around you?"

A few minutes later and I would be telling them where they are and when I would be there to meet them..

Thats how bad it is for me after all these years playing on this map. Even with the new stuff added, I can still pretty much just look at the terrain and know exactly where I am. Its a blessing and curse. A blessing in that Im never lost, and can always help others quickly. A curse in that the map itself, feels like Ive lived there my whole life and nothing is new. Sort of like the small town I grew up in IRL. I know it like the back of my hand, and at times that gets fairly boring.

So how many hrs have you played ?? ^_^

The In-Game map is currently in a really bad state. Lacking City names and water sources makes it pretty damn rough, un

6 hours ago, Phuck Norris said:

I prefer to use the online maps, myself. I view them as more a "points of interest" map that you would get in a tourist shop. 

Forgive me if I am wrong, but can't you already make markers on your map and hand it to a friend/loot off a body, with the markers still on it? If so I am surprised that people have not used this to create scavenger hunts.... I might do this on my server sometime. 

Markers will actually show up on other peoples maps if you are simply close enough to them. They also despawn on a log or restart. So it's a bit finicky.

6 hours ago, [DGN] Johnny said:

Markers will actually show up on other peoples maps if you are simply close enough to them. They also despawn on a log or restart. So it's a bit finicky.

It's witchcraft!!! Burn therm maps at the stake!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

So how many hrs have you played ?? ^_^

At least 4. 

Total. 

:P

OH its so much better with a compass, the sun directions, and i think now they have a moon. At that time we didn't have it.

Otherwise izurvive.com there is a couple of places. Like the others suggested for your buddies, or last known spot.

• Like 1