-MadTommy

Is there any hope left? Please tell there is!

Why do people seem to forget that they are rewriting millions of lines of code and that isn't a small task and is going to take a long time, which in turn is going to slow a lot of things down.

Because a need for instant gratification and a sense of entitlement makes very average people forgetful. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1

There is hope, Trump might still choke on one of his steaks before his inauguration.

• Like 1

The Standalone may be in a bit of a "broken state" but the mod is certainly polished. There are only 3 servers for it at the moment.. and non that are FPP but it's still an option if you're in the UK or US (otherwise your ping might be nasty)

It's Early Access. It's like waiting a year instead of a week for the next episode of whatever anime your in to - it's going to SUCK but the reward tastes oh so sweet.

I'll reinstall when 0.6 comes out i suppose.  People saying be patient and don't you realise they are rewriting millions of lines of code etc..that is the problem, it's the ever lasting set backs that have eroded my faith over the years.  There always seems to be an excuse why nothing ever gets done in a timely fashion and the holy grail is always just around the corner.  Now it's "when the new renderer is in everything will fall into place".. well I really hope its true, but anyone who is holding their breath is likely gonna turn very purple.

I really do hope things work out.  I love the Arma engine/sandbox/survival thing, but the game is no better now than it was 2 years ago, sure stuff has been added but to what end. Now we can shoot each other with different weapons, wear different colour hats, wear different length trousers, eat different tins of food, grow veggies which is fairly pointless as there is food everywhere... and we have less infected, numerous major bugs & hackers galore.  Sigh.  I want to look back at thread  in year's time and feel embarrassed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, -MadTommy said:

..//..

IMO the question is - is DayZ a fun and playable game right now?
BI have a history of updating stuff all the time - they don't push a game out, say "finished" and turn their backs on the clients. They could do that almost anytime, but looking at their history we see that is not their policy.
So we wont complain if they add and refine for years (that's a big advantage, right?) as long as the game is playable ATM and you get your kick out of it.
So is it playable?
Saying it is "in development" is maybe a side issue and not that important. I hope I'm not offending players who want the box to have "1.0" stamped on it.

Bottom line is - either it is fun right now, or it is not fun right now.

• Like 1

Yeah, there is hope, just check back here in 1 to 4 years, then this game will be ready, probably. I mean the game is great, but the developement is way too slow(it has been 0.59 for 5 months)... It kinda gives me the feeling the devs will abandon this soon, which I hope is not true, but it just feels like it...

On 3/5/2016 at 2:55 AM, Zimorak said:

The only complaint (more like a little annoyance) against the game i have right now, is the frame rate inside towns.  That is by far, the biggest problem i have. If the frame rate was fixed right now, i wouldn't mind playing .59 for another 6 months. just my 2cents

When 0.60 comes out with new render, the fps is supposed to change. I wished they would have picked Arma 3 engine to work on, instead of Arma 2 one.

On 3/11/2016 at 8:55 PM, Killawife said:

There is hope, Trump might still choke on one of his steaks before his inauguration.

Naw that needs to happen more to Hillary Clinton.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2016 at 11:26 AM, Tigermonk said:

I both get your points.. but from where he's standing (madtommy) I can also understand... lets just look at some numbers and recent events..

average price DayZ standalone: 20-25 USD
total sales: 3.2 million or something (last I checked)
3.200000x25=80.000.000 USD
years of dev: 2 years 3 months!
thats about 40.000,000/year:25 =1.6 million (if dayz has 25 people working on it)
so all in all... if you cut the costs of dev. equipment etc. 
all the promo's their doing/trips with jets and such

you're still looking at a game with over 40 weapons (half arent even used)
a game not yet optimized in the most basic of things.

52 weeks in a year
45 workable weeks (weekends/holidays)
-10 weeks of promotion at various game events
leaves 35 weeks.
35:4=8.75 months

about 1 major update every 3 months (yes that's about the speed their working on a full patch atm *0.59-0.60*)

so thats 8.75:3=2.9 (so 3 for the round off) 3 updates per year...

full game is 1.0 (brian hicks told us so)

so that leaves 40 patches until 1.0

thats 3 patches every year (at current speed!)  
40:3=13 YEARS to finish dayz at current rate... lets say bohemia finally gives them a burner for being slow..
that it'll still take 6-7 YEARS before finishing this game... (brian hicks also said) AFTER 1.0.. we'll support dayz for another 5 years... so thats 13 years in total.. there is NO way.. a game like dayz takes 13 YEARS to fully develop. NO way

I like how no one bothered to respond took this. I guess when you put out facts, the Fan Boyz stay home...

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 8:03 AM, pilgrim* said:

.. DayZ is a pretty damn good game, right?

AMAZING game.

DayZ devs are hard at work trying to fix bugs and blocking issues. Why not give them props. They've come a long way for a small-medium sized team, and people don't give them nearly enough appreciation as they deserve. Everyone needs to sit back, relax, and enjoy a can of beans.

• Like 2

if it stays the way it is now I'd have no regrets about the $30 I spent for it.  I couldn't care less if they finish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, airborneguy said:

I like how no one bothered to respond took this. I guess when you put out facts, the Fan Boyz stay home...

-MadTommy is actually a "FanBoy" from far back - like me and others - that's why he asked these questions.
There aren't a lot of "facts" in your quote and there is already a reply.

Red_Ensign has it right - I paid up for the SA just to put money back, in return for the hundreds of hours I had in the Mod. For me that's like buying a drink for a friend.
So the hundreds of hours after that in SA have been pretty much free.

No one can do anything several times a week for 4  or 5 years without it being "not the same" as it was at the start
(well - almost anything?)

Nobody ever complains about the development of a Mod even though it keeps changing and updating (for years) - that's because a mod doesn't have a marker saying "this side is alpha/this side is 1.0"
Why do you want development to be finished? So you can say "this game is old" and throw it away.

Wrap your head around the product cycle, dude. Play the game.
Saying you want wolves or less loot or better crafting or higher FTP  makes sense. Saying you want the game "finished" makes no sense.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1

I guess what we all can agree on is that it is time for change. And many, like myself, have been impatiently waiting for the particular set of changes, the 0.60 release will have in its wake. The thing is - Dayz was for gun-jockeys for a long time. They would find their rifles within an hour and go pew-pew on the coast. Fine - that's one way to play the game. 

Then we got tents+persistence, which put the gun jockey at a disadvantage, because suddenly people on the coast could be as geared as him and players more often had good gear than not; at least those that play organised. 

Then with the CLE and ongoing changes to it, it wasn't as easy to find a weapon anymore, or at least the way they spawn changed. We adapt and we have new things to do, like hunting + some crafting, radios + cars. So the original Pew-Pew game was kinda taken away, or diminished in favor of new mechanics and different ways to play the game. Yet the problem is that none of these "alternatives" are ready to be enjoyed yet. Hunting is probably the most developed of them all, but there aren't enough goals to keep you busy with it.

So what  I'm saying is: we used to see DayZ SA as a PvP-shooter on a huge map, but that was due to the fact that gunplay was one of the few enjoyable things in the game. Now there are more things, but they are broken or incomplete features, so the game is kind of in Limbo right now. It's not a great shooter, if you just want action. It's no survival game either and it isn't a good vehicle simulation or scary zombie game. But now comes a time when all these features CAN finally be made a reality. For the team to miss the rough date for a 0.60 release is hardly inspiring in that regard. If they have that many problems laying the foundations, which terrible bugs and glitches will we have to expect, during the year? And why is there no word about Beta starting in Q2, yet? That's obviously ridiculous and the devs should state so. They should at some point of this development be able to calculate roughly when features are ready. At the moment, Dayz is not the game it's meant to be. So from here on out, I simply expect the devs to do better. Much, much better - in everything. Because, let's face it, they pretty much made fools of themselves in the last year with all the failed patches and announcements. 0.59 being playable like that just barely saved them. But to regain credibility it would really be good to have this patch and future patches arrive on time. I don't care how much work it is. We gave you a year or more, since the new renderer was announced and expected and yet you still don't get it done. So do it! And do it now, before more people start thinking this broken pile of barely playable we have right now is Dayz. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, S3V3N said:

I guess what we all can agree on is that it is time for change. And many, like myself, have been impatiently waiting for the particular set of changes, the 0.60 release will have in its wake. The thing is - Dayz was for gun-jockeys for a long time. They would find their rifles within an hour and go pew-pew on the coast. Fine - that's one way to play the game. 

Then we got tents+persistence, which put the gun jockey at a disadvantage, because suddenly people on the coast could be as geared as him and players more often had good gear than not; at least those that play organised. 

Then with the CLE and ongoing changes to it, it wasn't as easy to find a weapon anymore, or at least the way they spawn changed. We adapt and we have new things to do, like hunting + some crafting, radios + cars. So the original Pew-Pew game was kinda taken away, or diminished in favor of new mechanics and different ways to play the game. Yet the problem is that none of these "alternatives" are ready to be enjoyed yet. Hunting is probably the most developed of them all, but there aren't enough goals to keep you busy with it.

So what  I'm saying is: we used to see DayZ SA as a PvP-shooter on a huge map, but that was due to the fact that gunplay was one of the few enjoyable things in the game. Now there are more things, but they are broken or incomplete features, so the game is kind of in Limbo right now. It's not a great shooter, if you just want action. It's no survival game either and it isn't a good vehicle simulation or scary zombie game. But now comes a time when all these features CAN finally be made a reality. For the team to miss the rough date for a 0.60 release is hardly inspiring in that regard. If they have that many problems laying the foundations, which terrible bugs and glitches will we have to expect, during the year? And why is there no word about Beta starting in Q2, yet? That's obviously ridiculous and the devs should state so. They should at some point of this development be able to calculate roughly when features are ready. At the moment, Dayz is not the game it's meant to be. So from here on out, I simply expect the devs to do better. Much, much better - in everything. Because, let's face it, they pretty much made fools of themselves in the last year with all the failed patches and announcements. 0.59 being playable like that just barely saved them. But to regain credibility it would really be good to have this patch and future patches arrive on time. I don't care how much work it is. We gave you a year or more, since the new renderer was announced and expected and yet you still don't get it done. So do it! And do it now, before more people start thinking this broken pile of barely playable we have right now is Dayz. 

POW!

This post has pretty much taken care of any of the things I have been trying to say for the last couple years.

There is no better way to call it.

If the Developers had done a better job of communication then this would be different, but it appears as if the subscriber-facing personnel for this project have been unable to manage the project in a way that sets expectations that are achievable, and made the news about ongoing dev team activities a consistent, interesting, and logical process. There are points in any process where a review and revision is REQUIRED, and performance evaluations are a key component.

Currently, when I try to visualize the DayZ SA studio I am ultimately seeing a warehouse filled with random people doing random tasks at random times and occasionally getting together to have a random play session. I am sure that this is not the case, for the most part...but optics are the only driver that matter with such poor and inconsistent messaging.

DayZ has such great potential, but with the current state of the development team and their amateurish approach to processes and milestones it is actually doing the game a greater disservice than any of the bugs or blockers could ever do.

I can accept delays, bugs, and even failures.... Just don't lie to me.

Peace Out, Devs...and get your PR "component" straight. ;-)

Edited by philbur
  • Like 1

Just think, they could have packed up some sort of client composing of Arma 2 OA and the original DayZ mod Dean made to DayZ SA, then simply tweaked upon that huge success and saved themselves years of this limbo. Still waiting for them to realize the spooky music that occasionally played as you were skulking around trying to not catch the attention of a group of Zeds was actually a BIG part of the DayZ experience! and contributed greatly to the games fear factor. It's not all doom and gloom I suppose.. We got a bunch of new enterable buildings, nicer models, fishing, farming and animals I guess. 

Call me ungreatful, but I'm still not WOW'ed by anything that was once told to be "enhancing the DayZ experience" with any of the development in SA so far.. All I see is broken stuff after broken with the occasional thrown bone that makes me think "maybe, one day I will like playing this game again", new renderer? bah.. it got so much hype, that thing better blow people away otherwise shits gonna hit the fan.. again.

I start to question if I'm just a hater or one of those idiots who post nothing but impatient, hate posts. Maybe I've just grown out of it? Maybe I will never get them DayZ feels back. I hope that's not the case.

It's actually not three months, time should be calculated from either stable to stable or experimental to experimental release ... so we are closer to four and a half months since 0.59 exp hit the servers. That's a whole quarter of a year. If they would keep the rough pace, 1.0 would appear in about 40x4 months .... something like 160 months, so just about 14 years. Some Alpha adopters will watch 1.0 from the cementery :P

Meh... I try to think in terms of actual "in-game" time I spend with DayZ...rather than where we are in relation to the roadmap. I would be bat-shit crazy to believe the timelines and promises at this point, that's all.

To use the past build release timelines is a bit of a stretch because the closer they get the easier it gets (in theory).

I was one of those that questioned Bohemia's role in development of SA, seeing as how they seem to keep a distance from anything related to it. Once again, though...in the absence of anything pointing to the contrary, one can only assume they are just as sceptical .

As I have spent a lot of my available PC game time immersed in SA, I can say with confidence that as far as value-for-the-money goes, this title has indeed delivered it's share....but when I sit back and think about it I realize that it is a false metric because I am really only "playing" a work in progress and not a fully realized product. It then becomes more apparent to me just how ridiculous I must sound when I talk about DayZ SA as such a fantastic game and how I highly recommend people try it. That's why I post the odd rant about the developers...it's embarrassing to be a fan boy for this title when the dev team continuously makes me look like a fool to those same potential subscribers.

Let me apologize to those same developers....as I think there are reasons I have not considered for the current state of affairs that the actual situation is most likely in a better state than I fear. But as I tried to explain, it's the poor way in which they have dealt with "us" that really disappoints me.

Edited by philbur
  • Like 2

philbur can you blame them considering the shit they get? I'll link a post of one of the hurtworld devs (kind of a Rust clone). And that game has only been out for like what, 3-4 months? And it's far less popular. Imagine how the dayz devs must feel in comparison :D

G5ugahr.png

But then again, I wish moderation was a bit stricter in regards to ingorant / hate posts and devs would post or reply more often around here at the same time.

Hi Buakaw. I don't think the team are nearly as fragile and sensitive as some think...or at least I hope not. These people are working in an industry and are getting paid as skilled employees. The crap that is out there on forums and reddits is going to happen regardless of how the game is progressing and it should not be used as an excuse for not meeting deliverables or as a reason why personal performance is sub par. When I make pointed comments about the game's development it is from the perspective of someone who just thinks there should always be an expectation to do things always a bit better. Without having high expectations it's easy to get used to the idea of delivering mediocrity. Developers have many reasons to feel stressed, but it is misguided to think that the BS posted online is responsible for an increased level of it. In ANY industry there is a requirement to hold employees accountable for their output. There is also a requirement to hold those companies accountable for the quality of their product, right?

My own posts are an example of someone who just wants them to do better....I don't try to be malicious or hurtful...But if what I say has a negative impact on the DayZ Developers then I would say that they are in need of some serious self esteem counselling. Who am I to these guys? I really hope my opinions don't break any hearts or draw any tears from them, but let's be honest...unless you are 12 years old and a sheltered mommies' boy you should be tough enough not to care about idiots who post hate comments. Besides that, it's people like Brian Hicks that I am actually "talking about" as he seems to have the role of PR and marketing. He comes across as a person who is comfortable as the face of the project but that also means he is the guy who should be getting the brunt of the criticism when it is deserved.

So when you choose to defend the dev team in regards to "haters" please consider that there are a great many other people who don't mean to be a**holes to the devs, they just expect better from them. When you always expect better you will BE better.

My focus is on how bad the DayZ team has managed expectations, primarily. I still play the builds and I am looking forward to times where progress will exponentially increase but as long as I have something to say I won't hesitate to say it. When criticism stops being constructive and leans more to a dull roar of frustration I would suggest that this should serve as a warning sign to the company that their product is in danger.

Ok...back to Rify, to mess with tourists.

• Like 1

I cannot wait until the next patch rolls out and they are back bitching about the bugs it will contain. 

On 3/3/2016 at 3:41 AM, -MadTommy said:

I  I've reached my limit of faith in the team.  The time in development, the sales and revenue generated.. seriously WTF is going on.  Can anyone convince me there is any hope left?  I wanna believe, i'm NO hater!!

I think the game is coming along nicely but I guess (shrug) there are those that require instant gratification and they start the water works (Boo-Hoo). 

On 3/18/2016 at 1:03 PM, Deathlove said:

Naw that needs to happen more to Hillary Clinton.

I couldn't possibly agree more. The image of that worthless old crone blowing a gasket and taking a flop into the dirt for good makes me feel good. Then we could have... 

1111_white-house-zombies-first-they-want ZOMBIE HILLARY

I would increase my playing by a full order of magnitude to hunt for and gun down the Infected Hillary Zombie.

Edited by Xbow

1 hour ago, Xbow said:

I think the game is coming along nicely but I guess (shrug) there are those that require instant gratification and they start the water works (Boo-Hoo). 

I really don't think people who have been waiting for years can fit into any sort of "instant gratification" demographic.

I think those that think the game is coming along nicely are truly blessed with DayZ love, how'd you get it? I'd like some.

Edited by NuckFut
forgot something, OK?

Funny  to come across this topic...I haven't been on the forums in months, and only briefly played the game last week for the first time in months.  I came here to ask the same question.  Not because I'm a hater, or don't know what early alpha means, but just because I want to know if there's any hope, or I just move on.  I understand the undertaking the devs are taking on, but there's no reason they can't communicate a little more, and a little better with the community.  I feel as though I've got my moneys worth out of the game, and if it never completes I'll be bummed but I'll get over it.  I just wish there was some insight as to when we might know.